Jump to content

Joe Douglas options are incredibly numerous


Recommended Posts

Signing Watson would have such a huge effect on our Free Agency signings. Hopefully if we sign him it's before FA starts so we can most likely have the pick of the WRs and possibly other players that would want to play with Watson and for Saleh. I'm concerned we won't have the WR options if our QB situation is up in the air. I think we would need to know our direction by then - you can't sell to a WR free agent -  hold tight, you'll know who your QB is in a month. That won't work. They should be able to say by then it's Sam, Watson or Wilson.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sheastadiumjetfan said:

Couldn,'t agree more with this post Jetster!

These are defining moments for the franchise...

Plus for once ......we have a genuine football GM    who keeps his cards close to his vest and doesn't even leak an inkling of what we are doing unless its to raise the draft stock of a player we may want to unload.

It's  becoming a Very different atmosphere in Floral Park as seen from a Jets fan thats seen it all over 50 years .  Outside of the Bill Parcells years , we have had incompetence from management and coaching . Years of deplorable management have made this franchise a laughingstock.  And because of that We have  become  the old Chicago Cubs.

A quick turn around  can be done-look at the Browns for god sake! 

We now have reasons to be Very optimistic this year

We have vastly improved HC , assistant coaches, Multiple high Draft picks and FA dollars to spend with a trustworthy staff calling the shots and running the team decisions

we may  be building something extraordinary here

 

Though Saleh is a defensive coach, if you look at ways to HELP your defense, one of the biggest aids is an offense that can take the air out of the ball, wear down opposing defenses & score in the Redzone. 

I think Joe Douglas & Saleh will agree that building one of the best Olines in the league after QB is of the utmost importance! You look at the Eagles Oline during their run to the Super Bowl & the 49ers balanced attack & the Oline they put together there with Trent Williams, McLinchey ect. 

Jets will be VERY ACTIVE regarding the Oline. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Signing Watson would have such a huge effect on our Free Agency signings. Hopefully if we sign him it's before FA starts so we can most likely have the pick of the WRs and possibly other players that would want to play with Watson and for Saleh. I'm concerned we won't have the WR options if our QB situation is up in the air. I think we would need to know our direction by then - you can't sell to a WR free agent -  hold tight, you'll know who your QB is in a month. That won't work. They should be able to say by then it's Sam, Watson or Wilson.

The WR's are going to go where they are paid the most regardless of who the QB is. They arent going to take a pay cut to play with Watson and fortunately we are in a good financial place this year.  Regardless, I wouldnt get my hopes up for Robinson, I think he will cost more than JD wants tp spend. Either way we have this year and next to build this team. There is a hell of a lot of opportunity. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah a ton of options, for sure. But let's be honest. In reality JD has 2 options with (at least with the critical #2 overall pick)- go after Watson or take a QB at #2. And if not for this Watson drama it would just be a matter of Fields or Wilson. Similar drama that we see every year with the remaining 2 of the top 3 QBs. 

Anyone who thinks Darnold has any real future with the Jets is kidding themselves. All pf these other options in lieu would only make sense if JD absolutely did not believe in Fields or Wilson as a potential FQB and I don't see that. Fact is, the Jets may never again find themselves in a position to draft a FQB if they pass on Fields/Wilson this year and JD knows it. 

It's QB or bust IMO. 

Having said that, I'm super excited. If teh rumors are true that he Jets can get a low first rounder for Darnold, if the rumors are true that Watson will force his way out and possibly go to the Jets. Thats awesome! I also like both Wilson and Fileds. I thinks both will be upgrades over Darnold and make an immediate impact. I particularly like Wilson but his surgeries also concern me. FA should be exciting too, as well as the rest of the draft.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Draft picks rarely are impactful year 1..  Most will take 2 years minimum.  
Some years are  just bad to sign FAs.  We have to hope this isn’t one of those years.  Getting guys Saleh knows will help in that regards

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

The WR's are going to go where they are paid the most regardless of who the QB is. They arent going to take a pay cut to play with Watson and fortunately we are in a good financial place this year.  Regardless, I wouldnt get my hopes up for Robinson, I think he will cost more than JD wants tp spend. Either way we have this year and next to build this team. There is a hell of a lot of opportunity. 

Mostly true but then there's Sammy Watkins who is at least one exception.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Though Saleh is a defensive coach, if you look at ways to HELP your defense, one of the biggest aids is an offense that can take the air out of the ball, wear down opposing defenses & score in the Redzone. 

I think Joe Douglas & Saleh will agree that building one of the best Olines in the league after QB is of the utmost importance! You look at the Eagles Oline during their run to the Super Bowl & the 49ers balanced attack & the Oline they put together there with Trent Williams, McLinchey ect. 

Jets will be VERY ACTIVE regarding the Oline. 

excellent point.  if they scored more than a piddily 17 points per game maybe we wouldn't even having a lot of these discussions.

if saleh is a top defensive coach then he will also know what kind of offenses will work best.  i think all of these top coaches know what adversaries give them the most fits.  even rex had a clue.  the question is whether or not he will run the whole team or try to put his stamp on the defense alone and let lefleur run the offense.  imo that would be a huge mistake.  the whole notion of keeping one's foot on the gas should apply to the whole team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Yeah a ton of options, for sure. But let's be honest. In reality JD has 2 options with (at least with the critical #2 overall pick)- go after Watson or take a QB at #2. And if not for this Watson drama it would just be a matter of Fields or Wilson. Similar drama that we see every year with the remaining 2 of the top 3 QBs. 

Anyone who thinks Darnold has any real future with the Jets is kidding themselves. All pf these other options in lieu would only make sense if JD absolutely did not believe in Fields or Wilson as a potential FQB and I don't see that. Fact is, the Jets may never again find themselves in a position to draft a FQB if they pass on Fields/Wilson this year and JD knows it. 

It's QB or bust IMO. 

Having said that, I'm super excited. If teh rumors are true that he Jets can get a low first rounder for Darnold, if the rumors are true that Watson will force his way out and possibly go to the Jets. Thats awesome! I also like both Wilson and Fileds. I thinks both will be upgrades over Darnold and make an immediate impact. I particularly like Wilson but his surgeries also concern me. FA should be exciting too, as well as the rest of the draft.  

I don’t think he or Saleh view the qb situation you do. Playing with sam on the 4th year of his rookie contract in one last chance to develop into something is very much in play 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

The QB is the the fulcrum in determining the next 10 years of Jet football. If JD nails it (Watson) or defers by drafting & developing a QB are the only 2 viable means to turn this franchise into a viable contender year after year. Surrounding them with a plethora of 2nd-4th round talent. 
 

Sticking with Sam and building the team around him will doom us to a Raiders, Colts, Browns & Vikings type future. Close but never getting over the top. Drafting the likes of Khalil Mack & David Nelson who are All Pro but lacking the franchise QB can never reach the mountaintop. All 1st round studs who require huge contracts to retain. We have four 1st round picks these next 2 years and a middling QB. After Sam reclamation fails we’ll be back at square 1... no QB

They're not sticking with Sam. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

To quote the great Paul Pasqualoni, the Jets have a "multitude of options."

The Jets have a plethora of options.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, undertow said:

This thread is super calla fragile istic exped allah docious

Funny you mention that.... I was looking for a GIF with that but had to settle for “...these are a few of my favorite things”

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...