Jump to content

Joe Douglas options are incredibly numerous


Jetster
 Share

Recommended Posts

We really don’t have any options until the QB carousel stops spinning.  That will decide if we can even trade down from #2, and where.  If we’re dropping to #6 (PHI), #8 (CAR), or #12 (SF); we are looking at an entirely different set of players likely to be available. 

I can see us going QB, OL, WR, the TE, or God-forbid the LB, Micah Parsons (not that I would mind, but this board would explode). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JD is in a tough spot with the #2.

Even if he makes a decent decision, if he doesn't choose the exact best one, he'll be criticized for the opportunity cost. 

What if JD:
1. Passes on Fields/Wilson and one of them becomes great and we still don't have a QB.  (Macc - Mahomes/Watson)
2. Trades down, and passes up a HOFer. (Parcells - Pace)
3. Chooses the wrong QB. (Ryan Pace - Trubisky)
4. Refuses to use #2 to trade for Watson and it becomes public that he could have had Watson.

JD has to be hating those meaningless wins. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Yeah a ton of options, for sure. But let's be honest. In reality JD has 2 options with (at least with the critical #2 overall pick)- go after Watson or take a QB at #2. And if not for this Watson drama it would just be a matter of Fields or Wilson. Similar drama that we see every year with the remaining 2 of the top 3 QBs. 

Anyone who thinks Darnold has any real future with the Jets is kidding themselves. All pf these other options in lieu would only make sense if JD absolutely did not believe in Fields or Wilson as a potential FQB and I don't see that. Fact is, the Jets may never again find themselves in a position to draft a FQB if they pass on Fields/Wilson this year and JD knows it. 

It's QB or bust IMO. 

Having said that, I'm super excited. If teh rumors are true that he Jets can get a low first rounder for Darnold, if the rumors are true that Watson will force his way out and possibly go to the Jets. Thats awesome! I also like both Wilson and Fileds. I thinks both will be upgrades over Darnold and make an immediate impact. I particularly like Wilson but his surgeries also concern me. FA should be exciting too, as well as the rest of the draft.  

No, why do people say he MUST trade for watson or take a QB at #2.  If he is not sold on the guys in this draft he can perfectly  well stick with darnold one more year and bring in another vet QB if he wishes.  He may have decided he is not a long term Darnold fan and wants a new guy but to take a QB at #2 just because is a foolish thing to do and has burnt teams all too often in the past.

Also as you can see by the last couple of years, you do not have to draft that QB you can trade for one.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Signing Watson would have such a huge effect on our Free Agency signings. Hopefully if we sign him it's before FA starts so we can most likely have the pick of the WRs and possibly other players that would want to play with Watson and for Saleh. I'm concerned we won't have the WR options if our QB situation is up in the air. I think we would need to know our direction by then - you can't sell to a WR free agent -  hold tight, you'll know who your QB is in a month. That won't work. They should be able to say by then it's Sam, Watson or Wilson.

I agree ... hopefully its resolved before March 14th when the 'legal' tampering begins.  I think it can be spun a number of ways .. the all new coaching staff is a plus, if we bring Sam back we can spin it as we are building a monster line etc., if we are going to take Wilson/Fields/Lawrence there are positives to all of those ... Watson would be a cherry if his contract doesnt restrict us from signing through on the rest of the roster.  However if he signs some ludicrous deal because his agent used the trade to negotiate even furhter into gonzo land .. that could actually be a negative. Players dont like going 4-12 and as is evidenced by last year ... an All Pro QB is worthless on his own.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mostly true but then there's Sammy Watkins who is at least one exception.
I dont think he is an exception at all. He never lived up to his draft status and in fact had kind of a so-so year stat wise. He wouldn't be taking less to play with Watson, he'd be taking what he can get. I doubt we will be outbidding anyone for Sammy Watkins services this year.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

I dont think he is an exception at all. He never lived up to his draft status and in fact had kind of a so-so year stat wise. He wouldn't be taking less to play with Watson, he'd be taking what he can get. I doubt we will be outbidding anyone for Sammy Watkins services this year.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.
 

I meant he took less to play with Mahomes and said he might keep doing it.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Though Saleh is a defensive coach, if you look at ways to HELP your defense, one of the biggest aids is an offense that can take the air out of the ball, wear down opposing defenses & score in the Redzone. 

I think Joe Douglas & Saleh will agree that building one of the best Olines in the league after QB is of the utmost importance! You look at the Eagles Oline during their run to the Super Bowl & the 49ers balanced attack & the Oline they put together there with Trent Williams, McLinchey ect. 

Jets will be VERY ACTIVE regarding the Oline. 

I really hope this is right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless they do. 
I am not sure what the rest of you are hearing when Saleh and JD are speaking but neither of them state that he will be the starter, will be on the team or that they will not get another qb. What they both consistently say is that he is good and will be a player in this league for a long time, he has good skills. He was drafted for a reason....blah, blah, blah....

I.E. if you are going to offer something for him don't come here with a lowball offer because we think still highly of him and believe he will do fine with a fresh start.

Sammy's ONLY hope of ever playing here next year is if through the draft and free agent process they do not find a viable option that they want to live with for a year. They want the new coach to have a good start to erase the stench of Gase. Sammy is not tradable next year if he played poorly because he won't be under contract, they would not pick up the 5th year option and he walks for free. JD loves picks and a bird in the hand this year is better than a walking Sammy next year.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

JD is in a tough spot with the #2.

Even if he makes a decent decision, if he doesn't choose the exact best one, he'll be criticized for the opportunity cost. 

What if JD:
1. Passes on Fields/Wilson and one of them becomes great and we still don't have a QB.  (Macc - Mahomes/Watson)
2. Trades down, and passes up a HOFer. (Parcells - Pace)
3. Chooses the wrong QB. (Ryan Pace - Trubisky)
4. Refuses to use #2 to trade for Watson and it becomes public that he could have had Watson.

JD has to be hating those meaningless wins. 

In my mind JD will be just fine if he makes this decision like a grown up and shows that thought and consideration went into it ... it will be a breath fresh air compared the the impulsive nature of trader mike, incompetence of Mr Coffee, and the ultra cheap ways of John Idzik.

Edited by Dunnie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No, why do people say he MUST trade for watson or take a QB at #2.  If he is not sold on the guys in this draft he can perfectly  well stick with darnold one more year and bring in another vet QB if he wishes.  He may have decided he is not a long term Darnold fan and wants a new guy but to take a QB at #2 just because is a foolish thing to do and has burnt teams all too often in the past.

Also as you can see by the last couple of years, you do not have to draft that QB you can trade for one.

I noted "All pf these other options in lieu would only make sense if JD absolutely did not believe in Fields or Wilson as a potential FQB and I don't see that." 

So I agree. If JD isn't sold on Fields or Wilson as potential FQBs, of course you don't draft one just to draft one. OF COURSE. My point was, I don't believe that to be the case. I think Lafleur, Saleh and JD DO believe one of those guys is special and is worthy of the # 2 overall pick, even if they may have Sewell ahead on their board or really want to trade down for a boat load of draft picks. QB is the most important position and I don't see JD passing up on taking his guy. It seems like people are ready do ASSUME JD or Saleh or LaFleur AREN'T sold on Fields or Wilson. Why not??   

You can trade for a FQB these days but the price is astronomical. Rarely, as a team, do you find yourself in a position to afford to go all in on a trade like that. In fact, the potential for a Watson trade is very rare because he is still young and in his prime, forcing his way out of Houston and the Jets have lots of cap space and a ton of draft capital.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I don’t think he or Saleh view the qb situation you do. Playing with sam on the 4th year of his rookie contract in one last chance to develop into something is very much in play 

Maybe. You're right, I have no idea what they are thinking. But the way I see it this team will improve substantially next year, with or without Sam if JD actually attacks FA aggressively and does a halfway decent job in the draft. I'm way more confident in this coaching staff. I have no doubt Sam will improve. But by how much? How much could he possibly improve. I don't see a monumental turnaround and that is what it will take for me (or most Jet fans really) to see him as a FQB for this team. Then what. Then you have to re-sign him. So you are going off what is most likely a marginally improved Sam Darnold in year 4 and you are pretty much invested in re-signing him. I don't see any other way this is going to go. There's no way they pick up his option. And what is he only improves a little bit or looks just as bad but the TEAM does better, wins more games, gets a lower draft pick?

Bottom line, the Jets effed up with Sam. They missed their chance to utilize his rookie contract to develop him into a FQB (or at least see if he had what it takes to become that guy). They did it with Gase, they did it with Macc. They are VERY lucky that they now have a chance to start over early in JDs tenure and a new coach with a potential FQB rookie and they better not eff this up by passing on this opportunity. The best thing for Sam and for the Jets is to trade him. 

That's how I see it. So yea. the Jets may see it different but odds are they go QB at #2 (or they move down a spot with Fins and still take a QB- allowing Fins to take Sewell), and they trade Darnold (either before the draft, during or after- maybe even mid season to a QB needy team).   

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He was in the Eagles war room when they drafted Wentz. So there are rumors the Jets are interested in him. He’s also praised Sam a lot even though not the QB he drafted, A Sam for Wentz deal or getting a third team involved. I hope he doesn’t do it. I’d stick with Sam over Wentz. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jetster said:

Though Saleh is a defensive coach, if you look at ways to HELP your defense, one of the biggest aids is an offense that can take the air out of the ball, wear down opposing defenses & score in the Redzone. 

I think Joe Douglas & Saleh will agree that building one of the best Olines in the league after QB is of the utmost importance! You look at the Eagles Oline during their run to the Super Bowl & the 49ers balanced attack & the Oline they put together there with Trent Williams, McLinchey ect. 

Jets will be VERY ACTIVE regarding the Oline. 

I hope so. I also hope JD isn’t shopping in the clearance rack this time around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

The WR's are going to go where they are paid the most regardless of who the QB is. They arent going to take a pay cut to play with Watson and fortunately we are in a good financial place this year.  Regardless, I wouldnt get my hopes up for Robinson, I think he will cost more than JD wants tp spend. Either way we have this year and next to build this team. There is a hell of a lot of opportunity. 

right and wrong. right that nobodys is taking a pay cut to play for Watson. but these WRs care who the QB is. 

playing with a crappy QB like Darnold can ruin a WRs career. your stats can get cut in half cause your QB cant make the throws, or is off target. then dreams of breaking WR records HOF and even SB ring go down the drain. and how good is your next contract going to look after 2 sub par years of a bad QB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, PepPep said:

Yeah a ton of options, for sure. But let's be honest. In reality JD has 2 options with (at least with the critical #2 overall pick)- go after Watson or take a QB at #2. And if not for this Watson drama it would just be a matter of Fields or Wilson. Similar drama that we see every year with the remaining 2 of the top 3 QBs. 

Anyone who thinks Darnold has any real future with the Jets is kidding themselves. All pf these other options in lieu would only make sense if JD absolutely did not believe in Fields or Wilson as a potential FQB and I don't see that. Fact is, the Jets may never again find themselves in a position to draft a FQB if they pass on Fields/Wilson this year and JD knows it. 

It's QB or bust IMO. 

Having said that, I'm super excited. If teh rumors are true that he Jets can get a low first rounder for Darnold, if the rumors are true that Watson will force his way out and possibly go to the Jets. Thats awesome! I also like both Wilson and Fileds. I thinks both will be upgrades over Darnold and make an immediate impact. I particularly like Wilson but his surgeries also concern me. FA should be exciting too, as well as the rest of the draft.  

No way man. Sam is the qb this season

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, doitny said:

right and wrong. right that nobodys is taking a pay cut to play for Watson. but these WRs care who the QB is. 

playing with a crappy QB like Darnold can ruin a WRs career. your stats can get cut in half cause your QB cant make the throws, or is off target. then dreams of breaking WR records HOF and even SB ring go down the drain. and how good is your next contract going to look after 2 sub par years of a bad QB

What was I wrong about? I didnt say they dont care, I said they are going where the money is. Careers in the NFL are too short not to maximize their opportunity especially in a year when the salary cap is lower. They are not going to sacrifice earnings and a year of their career. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

What was I wrong about? I didnt say they dont care, I said they are going where the money is. Careers in the NFL are too short not to maximize their opportunity especially in a year when the salary cap is lower. They are not going to sacrifice earnings and a year of their career. 

the Mets just lost Trevor Bauer for 3 Million. was that a hometown discount, or did he want to play for the defending WS champs who won there division the last 7 years over the Mets.

im not saying a players going to leave 20 mil on the table. but i think up to 8 mil they would. and i cant see JD blowing anyone away with his offer. it will be were it should be. hes not going to over pay.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seriously it’s the smartest idea I have ever come up with.

1) Keep Sam 

2) Draft a QB 2nd overall 

3) Have a real QB competition 

-If the rookie wins the job move on from Sam

-If Sam wins the job and plays well in the new offense then the Jets have a good problem. 
 

Happy Valentines Day! Would love to hear your thoughts!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...