Chiefs Buccaneers free agents Jets could target

Super Bowl 2021: Chiefs, Buccaneers free agents Jets could target | Sammy Watkins, Chris Godwin, more

Updated 6:45 AM; Today 6:45 AM 
Joe Douglas

With Super Bowl LV coming up on Sunday, let’s take a look at some Chiefs and Buccaneers pending free agents the Jetscould target next month, as general manager Joe Douglasrebuilds the roster

CHIEFS

WR Sammy Watkins: The Jets need a No. 1 receiver, regardless of who plays quarterback for them in 2021. While Watkins isn’t elite at this stage of his career — he had 421 yards and two touchdowns in 10 games this season — he could certainly help. He also went to Clemson, like Deshaun Watson, though they never overlapped in college. The Jets might trade for Watson. Watkins would surely love to finally play with him. They just missed each other at Clemson.

WR Demarcus Robinson: Like Watkins, Robinson isn’t Patrick Mahomes’ top target. Tyreek Hill and tight end Travis Kelce share that designation, with 135 and 145 targets this season, respectively. But Robinson is a solid complementary receiver — 466 yards and three touchdowns this season.

CB Bashaud Breeland: The Jets have major issues at cornerback. Don’t be surprised if they pick a corner like South Carolina’s Jaycee Horn with their second first-round draft pick this spring (No. 23 overall). Breeland wouldn’t solve all of the Jets’ secondary problems. But he’d be an upgrade (which isn’thard for this group). Breeland ranked 18th in Pro Football Focus’ cornerback coverage ratings this season.

BUCCANEERS

OLB Shaquil Barrett: It’s been a long time since the Jets had a dominant edge rusher. Probably since John Abraham was traded after the 2005 season. Barrett had 19.5 sacks and 37 quarterback hits last season, and then played this season on the franchise tag. He had eight sacks and 16 quarterback hits in 2020. Some team is going to pay him a lot of money, especially since he is finishing strong. He just had three sacks in the NFC Championship Game.

RB Leonard Fournette: He wasn’t a huge factor this season (600 total yards and six touchdowns), so it’s easy to forget that he had 1,674 total yards and three touchdowns in 2019 with Jacksonville. If Fournette can stay focused and disciplined, he can help a team, even though he probably never will live up to his draft status — fourth overall in 2017. He’s still just 26 years old, too. Perhaps the Jets can get him for a bargain, coming off a down year.

WR Chris Godwin: A valuable weapon for Tom Brady — 840 yards, seven touchdowns. Godwin had 70 yards per game this season, compared to 95.2 last season, when he ranked second in the NFL in that category. He definitely would fill the role of No. 1 receiver for the Jets. And if they trade for Watson in the coming weeks, that might entice Godwin to sign. One problem: The Bucs could always franchise tag him.

I loved it when Watkins played here with the Bills but since then he's had a lot of injuries. Too much money for too little games played IMHO. 

No thanks too on Godwin. I've watched him drop a ton of passes in crucial situations.

Hard pass on Fournette. Still remember Bama shutting him down cold in that National Championship game.

I'd be open to Robinson, Breeland or Barrett at the right price. 

8 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I loved it when Watkins played here with the Bills but since then he's had a lot of injuries. Too much money for too little games played IMHO. 

No thanks too on Godwin. I've watched him drop a ton of passes in crucial situations.

Hard pass on Fournette. Still remember Bama shutting him down cold in that National Championship game.

Barrett won’t be cheap, but right now for the next 3 years QW is, so let’s get guys in here that help release the Kraken on the inside! 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Are you sure about that bud? According to this article he has more tackles than drops, and his 2.2% drop rate leads the NFL dating back to 2015. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fansided.com/2020/06/10/chris-godwin-tackles-drops-nfl-career/amp/

Tom Brady is on record saying he is the best WR he has ever played with.  We’d be lucky to have him!

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Are you sure about that bud? According to this article he has more tackles than drops, and his 2.2% drop rate leads the NFL dating back to 2015. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fansided.com/2020/06/10/chris-godwin-tackles-drops-nfl-career/amp/

Tom Brady is on record saying he is the best WR he has ever played with.  We’d be lucky to have him!

Say bud you must have missed the Tampa/ Redskins playoff game. 12 targets only 5 catches. He had 3 wide open drops that I saw. I remember saying that if I were Brady I wouldn't throw to him again.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Say bud you must have missed the Tampa/ Redskins playoff game. 12 targets only 5 catches. He had 3 wide open drops that I saw. I remember saying that if I were Brady I wouldn't throw to him again.

Sounds like he had a bad day.  

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Lmao Godwin dropped 4 passes his entire career until these playoffs. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Lmao Godwin dropped 4 passes his entire career until these playoffs. 

He must have never had one drop in all his carer until the last 3 games or so this year and playoffs because he was a drop machine late in the year.

Good receiver but he was terrible about the last 3 weeks of reg season and the playoff game.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Godwin is a good player who's had some mental lapses this season. Who knows, could be Brady nerves. But I really doubt he leaves Tampa, they'll bring him back....unless they feel Tyler Johnson can step in (nice to have a org who can actually scout receivers). Typically guys like Godwin dont hit FA>

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Oh so you watched the playoff game against WFT. Watched any other games he played in? Cuz he’s had 4 dropped passes in his regular season career (4 years). 

Going after top FA's is no easy task.  Teams let good players walk for a reason.  And it's an insiders game to know why the current team chooses to spend their $ elsewhere.

This year might be different because of the lower cap.  There will be teams who have to let some players go that they want to keep.  It's up to JD to exploit this.  Trades may be more useful than actual FA signings.  Draft capital lets you do  this.

Even though the draft is a crap shoot, it's the place where you can add a lot of players who will be long term keepers.  It's why JD will likely have a bias to accumulate picks and build more slowly over time.

It also explains why JD might be willing to go with Darnold for one more year.  Whatever his failings as a QB with Gase have been, he's been a pretty solid citizen.  I offer Goff as the alternative.  Lots of talent but he was traded for a solid but unspectacular vet.

Fans want good players.  Smart GM's want the right players.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

He must have never had one drop in all his carer until the last 3 games or so this year and playoffs because he was a drop machine late in the year.

Good receiver but he was terrible about the last 3 weeks of reg season and the playoff game.

Last 3 games of the season. 15 catches 296 yards 5 tds. You know who else use to drop a ton of passes and is a top 5 wr of all time? 

37 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Oh so you watched the playoff game against WFT. Watched any other games he played in? Cuz he’s had 4 dropped passes in his regular season career (4 years). 

The only time these people talking about drops actually watched the bucs play were the 3 playoffs game. 

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Barrett and Godwin will both be back with Tampa.

I doubt Godwin will be back....they are already paying Evans, can resign Brown at a reasonable price, and they drafted a rookie who looks like a player forget his name...not to mention they have the immortal Scotty Miller.  I don't see any team investing 40 mil in the WR position.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Godwin is a good player who's had some mental lapses this season. Who knows, could be Brady nerves. But I really doubt he leaves Tampa, they'll bring him back....unless they feel Tyler Johnson can step in (nice to have a org who can actually scout receivers). Typically guys like Godwin dont hit FA>

Normally I would 100% agree but with the shrunken cap let's see. They can't keep everyone. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, undertow said:

I doubt Godwin will be back....they are already paying Evans, can resign Brown at a reasonable price, and they drafted a rookie who looks like a player forget his name...not to mention they have the immortal Scotty Miller.  I don't see any team investing 40 mil in the WR position.

If Goodwin signs for $15-17 mil his cap number will likely be around $5-6 mil after factoring his signing bonus. If the teams has a cap problem but not a cash problem they can sign back whatever star they want. It's the B and C level player that'll be difficult. 

42 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

:rolleyes:   OVER HIS CAREER ? Are you sure about that ? Bet it's more than that (4).  

Nope before that playoff game where he had 4 drops. He had pnly 4 for his entire career. Im sure he was nervous in his 1st playoff game. He is the 2nf best wr on the market. If jets dony pursue him dougles should be fired

On 2/6/2021 at 4:30 PM, Thai Jet said:

Watkins is done.  Fournette is a decent thought but he probably resigns with the Bucs at reasonable $

Buccaneers’ Rob Gronkowski clears up rumors about retiring (again) after winning the Super Bowl (again)

Updated 6:40 AM; Today 6:39 AM 
Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady (12), right, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers tight end Rob Gronkowski (87) celebrate together after the NFL Super Bowl 55 football game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, Feb. 7, 2021, in Tampa, Fla. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 31-9. AP

Stop me if you’ve heard this before: future Hall-of-Fame tight end Rob Gronkowski retires after winning the Super Bowl. After all, that’s what he did two years ago, after the New England Patriots beat the Los Angeles Rams, 13-3, in Super Bowl LIII.

Gronkowski was asked Sunday if he was going to follow that script again, following the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ 31-9 win over the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LV. Per Pro Football Talk:

“Yeah, I’ll remain unretired,” Gronkowski said in his postgame press conference. “I’m a free agent. It’s the first time in my career that I’m a free agent. I signed basically like an eight-year contract and basically played it all out — signed that when I was 22 years old. And it’s just pretty incredible to play out a contract like that — with a retirement in between. That’s surreal. But I definitely see myself coming back, just the guys around here, the players around here, the coaches, the people in the front office, they’re all just great people. I loved working with them all year long. So, obviously going to soak this in and see where I’m at in a couple weeks, but I don’t see why not. I don’t see why I won’t be back.”

Gronkowski unretired before the 2020 season after former Patriots teammate Tom Brady signed a two-year, $50 million contract with the Buccaneers. On Sunday, Gronkowski was Brady’s security blanket, collecting six receptions for 67 yards and two touchdowns, setting a new postseason record with their 13th and 14th career playoff touchdown connections.

And for what it’s worth, both Brady and Buccaneers head coach Bruce Arians also confirmed Sunday night they plan to return in 2021 to defend their Super Bowl title.