Fastest way to the top; scheme/position flexibility (monster thread)

Paradis

I really like Pat if he lasts to our 2nd round pick, he could (attempt to) emulate what they had going on with Kittle in SF, or Tonyan in GB. 

Some nice picks at WR. Would have to see what they do in free agency before setting the board. If they grab Golliday or Corey Davis, I could see them going for the YAC type guys in this draft (depending on round: Toney, Moore, Wallace, Schwartz, Shi Smith, or Darden).  If they target Curtis Samuel or Chris Godwin I could see them targeting a big-bodied guy (Bateman, Marshall, Surratt, Smith).  Again, it depends on if they go the SF YAC route (Aiyuk, Deebo) or the GB big-boy route (literally all of them, lol). 

Either way, I doubt they would sign 2, draft 5. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

fck sakes. Leave it to you jackals to get stuck on that like a pack of Ray Liottas... Fcking put whatever fcking name in there that fcking pleases you, how's that sound? Would that do you? Could you manage to move on to the rest of the of subject and content if you can set aside your QB agenda??

Actually I'm more in the roll with Sam camp.  You titled your thread.  I didn't...

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I really like Pat if he lasts to our 2nd round pick, he could (attempt to) emulate what they had going on with Kittle in SF, or Tonyan in GB. 

Some nice picks at WR. Would have to see what they do in free agency before setting the board. If they grab Golliday or Corey Davis, I could see them going for the YAC type guys in this draft (depending on round: Toney, Moore, Wallace, Schwartz, Shi Smith, or Darden).  If they target Curtis Samuel or Chris Godwin I could see them targeting a big-bodied guy (Bateman, Marshall, Surratt, Smith).  Again, it depends on if they go the SF YAC route (Aiyuk, Deebo) or the GB big-boy route (literally all of them, lol). 

Either way, I doubt they would sign 2, draft 5. 

it's an either/or scenario... either Samuel or Cole. Draft one/two of those guys

agree with your sentiment... hope the emmulate the SF model. Aiyuk, Hurd, Samuel... not crazy about Toney or Bateman

Rondale Moore isn’t anything lite. Just needs to stay healthy. Gainwell would be fun too. Adds some pop.

Love Marshall, way underrated, but not sure how much the style of offense will use a big slot but think Marshall can play anywhere. I think the target monster in the offense is a key role and *could* be anyone. The SF offense is a wonky version of Shanahan scheme because Kittle is the target monster *and* the blocking TE. I have a feeling that it’s going to be an X receiver type here but I’m skeptical they target that in the draft. Feels like a FA acquisition, especially with this class.

Freiermuth is the best fit of the early tight ends. Tommy Tremble maybe the guy later? Think the guy needs to be able to block. Love Pitts but he’s not there yet as a blocker. Wonder if they could bring him along slowly if they think he can get there but I think he’s unlikely. 

Curious if they pump up Wesco a bunch as a FB and then pop Ben Mason in the draft. Versatile fullback and the rookie deal is nice.

No clue what they do at quarterback. I do think the scheme is convenient for hiding a dude. Not sure they’ll do a good job developing and surrounding him with the the right guys - coaches and teammates. I think Wilson made the most NFL style throws but he had forever in the pocket and has an annoying face so I’ve got no clue with him. Fields is clearly very talented but IMO needs more mechanical work than his fans give him credit for. Also a bright dude so I think he can be excellent if he’s brought along slowly and with good talent around him but I just cannot imagine that happening here. Third time (Sanchez, Darnold, Fields) is the charm?

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Paradis said:

fck sakes. Leave it to you jackals to get stuck on that like a pack of Ray Liottas... Fcking put whatever fcking name in there that fcking pleases you, how's that sound? Would that do you? Could you manage to move on to the rest of the of subject and content if you can set aside your QB agenda??

i Luv you Parad..

When-Eleanor-Realises-She-Like-Really-Lo

?

• Sympathy 1

Draft Target - Tight End (rnd 2): draft Pat Freiermuth (Penn St)... I wish to Christ this was about Kyle Pitts, but unless the Jets truly abandon the QB position (no Fields/Wilson, no Watson) it's impossible to see a scenario where we land Pitts... If you buy the rhetoric about Sam, then 100% Pitts ought to be the pick in a trade back. he is the best mismatch weapon in the whole 2021 draft class... But alas I think JD does make a move and we won't see the gator... Pat is as good a consulation prize as can be - but my issue is he's likely to drafted too high. Pits will go top 10, leaving Freiermuth as a luxury pick by a team like SEA (oh whoops, you gave away that pick), or IND.

I love the Freiermuth pick.  Except he has an extra "e" in his name that's completely unnecessary if you ask me.  Running around, trying to be cool with his Penn State sweatshirt and his extra vowels flopping around like he's special...could be a diva.  This time of year is all about opinions.  And I have one.  Do what you will with it.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, derp said:

Rondale Moore isn’t anything lite. Just needs to stay healthy. Gainwell would be fun too. Adds some pop.

Love Marshall, way underrated, but not sure how much the style of offense will use a big slot but think Marshall can play anywhere. I think the target monster in the offense is a key role and *could* be anyone. The SF offense is a wonky version of Shanahan scheme because Kittle is the target monster *and* the blocking TE. I have a feeling that it’s going to be an X receiver type here but I’m skeptical they target that in the draft. Feels like a FA acquisition, especially with this class.

Freiermuth is the best fit of the early tight ends. Tommy Tremble maybe the guy later? Think the guy needs to be able to block. Love Pitts but he’s not there yet as a blocker. Wonder if they could bring him along slowly if they think he can get there but I think he’s unlikely. 

Curious if they pump up Wesco a bunch as a FB and then pop Ben Mason in the draft. Versatile fullback and the rookie deal is nice.

No clue what they do at quarterback. I do think the scheme is convenient for hiding a dude. Not sure they’ll do a good job developing and surrounding him with the the right guys - coaches and teammates. I think Wilson made the most NFL style throws but he had forever in the pocket and has an annoying face so I’ve got no clue with him. Fields is clearly very talented but IMO needs more mechanical work than his fans give him credit for. Also a bright dude so I think he can be excellent if he’s brought along slowly and with good talent around him but I just cannot imagine that happening here. Third time (Sanchez, Darnold, Fields) is the charm?

Sanchez walked onto a team with loads of talent and had some success even though he sucked.

Darnold walked on to one of the worst teams ever and sucked.

For this reason and the fact that I am not totally sold on any QB in this draft my first preference is to trade down if at all possible, stick with darnold or sign another guy if you really hate darnold and up the talent level on this team big time in this draft and in the next one, if you trade down, you will have a lot of ammo to get a Qb if you wish.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Scheme versatility is just some nonsense they talk about in draft blurbs. It's only relevant in situations like Douglas was in last year. You grade players for your system. You don't give bonus points for hypothetical other systems.

We’re all holding our breath for your next ban. Your posts are about as interesting as my penis

F36C6293-CFC9-4F14-88FE-941D48308CED.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Unless Hopkins and Kamara suddenly materialize on our roster - a team in our situation needs to find a way to maximize scheme mileage. Doing that means creating and exploiting mismatches. Asking your X wide receiver to win every match up, and your RB to truck every tackler is the path of most resistance. 

The best way to get this offense surging is to find those players and positions of flexibility and plasticity

Quarterback: Justin Fields (of DW if you will) Though he's far more than "dual threat" he does possess the athleticism to make big plays with his legs ala Watson - keeping DC's honest and their LB's attention.

FB: sign Kyle Juszcyck.... The system Kyle runs still makes use of a FB, largely because of the reasons I listed. The closest thing in 2021 to a true H-back, Kyle gives you little bit of everything with his ability being flexed to line up in a variety of packages, in different spots with different roles. a 2021 FA, he should be a target for this team. 

RB: draft Kenny Gainwell (Memphis) or Michael Carter (UNC)... both are very capable backs with plus hands who would thrive in a slash and gash role in the Shanny-system.  Compact, physical and both possess that trademark burst needed to explode to the second level. Their ability to catch the ball along with Juszcyck in the formation will capitalize and exploit mismatches.

Wide Receiver: sign Curtis Samuel (CAR) or Keelan Cole (JAX).... @Shockwave already provided a platform for case for Samuel, check it out. I've long been a fan. I'll offer also that under the radar signing could be Keelan Cole, a Jaguar who exploded in his rookie year, but has been up and down since then and lost in the shuffle. He's a slight at 6'1 190, but is more than capable of lining up at Z and S. 

*lol the matrix chose that pic @Jetsfan80

Big fan of Keelan Cole as a high upside, good value option if we don’t get Allen Robinson 

• Upvote 1

Couple of intruiging WR options there too.....no love for Rashod Bateman!?....I know people will doubt his speed but I think he’s going to be very effective at the next level. Always seems to get open and I think his speed is better than he gets credit for.
He does a lot of the little things to get a clean release, like setting up the dB with a drop of a shoulder or selling the run fake beautifully(the last time we had WR that could do that was Braylon, that 80 yarder against the Colts in the first AFCCG was a thing of beauty).

also think Tylan Wallace will be effective in Sunday’s 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

@Paradis great posts, but if we are talking about versatile, athletic YAC pieces, why not got Devin Jordan instead of Freiermuth?

I haven't watched anything 2020 of him, but i wasn't overly impressed with Brevin. Not a great/natural receiver - i don't like the way he catches the ball. Athletic, but nothing to write home about. Rotational TE. 

20 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Couple of intruiging WR options there too.....no love for Rashod Bateman!?....I know people will doubt his speed but I think he’s going to be very effective at the next level. Always seems to get open and I think his speed is better than he gets credit for.
He does a lot of the little things to get a clean release, like setting up the dB with a drop of a shoulder or selling the run fake beautifully(the last time we had WR that could do that was Braylon, that 80 yarder against the Colts in the first AFCCG was a thing of beauty).

also think Tylan Wallace will be effective in Sunday’s 

Yea, the speed thing is real for me. I could take him or leave him to be honest but the cost is why i usually leave him out. I'd have a round 3-4 grade on him. Not particularly fast or flashy, hands are meh, nothing looks overly smooth or easy for Bateman. How developed in his game? Doesn't look like a tactician.... hate to compare jerseys but Tyler Johnson.... 

He has his fans out there. So... *shrugs* ...I tried to focus on versatility with this. Don't think that's Bateman's strong suite. 

• Upvote 1

Paradis, you re missing the most important part imo.

Offensive line.

If you want to improve your offense in a big way quick the best way is to get a great oline, not a 'we can get by' oline,

QB

RB

WR

TE

don't mean sh*t if the oline is weak.

This limits your offense more than anything because no only do you need them to pas block and run block but it can totally screw you a far as what you 3ant to scheme because you have to keep a TE in or can;t go two slot WRs etc etc

I hope to hell Douglas is not satisfied with getting the LT last year and thinks he is good elsewhere.

@Paradis

Respect the effort. I like the way you're thinking about the team from a schematic standpoint and I always enjoy your draft takes.

We need playmakers and you've shed light on a bunch of them across the draft.

I also like how you're looking at TE. I also like Everett and think he's a good option in free agency, although I prefer Jonnu Smith, but I wouldn't complain with either. We need someone who will be a mismatch on that TE drag route and run away from LB's and safeties. I think Jonnu is faster, but I bet he'll be more expensive and I could absolutely see the Titans keeping him. I don't see the Rams re-signing Everett. 

I'd be looking at defense, specifically edge rusher and Will LB, at some point in this draft, but I understand the point of this exercise is to illuminate some offensive weapons that will be around at our picks and we should definitely be taking a few in the 2021 draft.

Mildly disappointed there's no mention of Toney (although the dude is talked about a lot), or Elijah Moore from Ole Miss. Toney could be the guy @ 23 or Elijah Moore could be the guy at 34 (although I do prefer Rondale Moore, but who knows how we play this draft and if we trade down or deal Sam and acquire another second in the process).

Not gonna get into the QB thing, because yea, I think the point of this is assuming a QB @ 2, which is definitely a likely scenario. 

And I'm happy you've been converted to the Michael Carter hype machine. Dude is for real. Jemar Jefferson of Oregon State is interesting too. 

All things considered, unless there's a player I love at 23, and assuming we did take a quarterback @ 2, I'd love to trade down from 23 and acquire a 2nd and 3rd rounder in the process. There are so many good players in that range this year: Ronnie Perkins, Jabril Cox, Baron Browning, either diminutive but shifty receiver with the last name Moore, Michael Carter, Eskridge, Dillon Randunz, Adebo, Newsome II, Benjamin St Juste and Quincy Roche.

I'd prefer two of those dudes to one Terrace Marshall right now, but I'm sure as we get more information on workouts during pro-days we'll have a clearer picture. 

Anyways good stuff, keep it up. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Sanchez walked onto a team with loads of talent and had some success even though he sucked.

Darnold walked on to one of the worst teams ever and sucked.

For this reason and the fact that I am not totally sold on any QB in this draft my first preference is to trade down if at all possible, stick with darnold or sign another guy if you really hate darnold and up the talent level on this team big time in this draft and in the next one, if you trade down, you will have a lot of ammo to get a Qb if you wish.

I think every fan on this site and the majority of all other football fans know how Sanchez and Darnold worked out.

I prefer a trade down as well, albeit for different but similar reasons.

Don’t follow your logic though, doesn’t the Sanchez point you made kind of negate the improve the talent level argument - if you’re looking at it from a QB perspective as you seem to be (otherwise don’t know why you’re taking about the supporting casts of Sanchez and Darnold.

3 hours ago, derp said:

Marshall is more than capable of playing outside IMO. He can give you Aiyuk like production. Agree about the QB... that conversation is a thread vacuum so i'm trying to stay away from it.  Sucks that we're having to go down that road for obvious reasons, but also these topics become collateral damage; strong opinions and if one believes QB option A is the best --> then that permeates their entire offseason projection. 

28 minutes ago, derp said:

I think every fan on this site and the majority of all other football fans know how Sanchez and Darnold worked out.

I prefer a trade down as well, albeit for different but similar reasons.

Don’t follow your logic though, doesn’t the Sanchez point you made kind of negate the improve the talent level argument - if you’re looking at it from a QB perspective as you seem to be (otherwise don’t know why you’re taking about the supporting casts of Sanchez and Darnold.

The sanchez point is that if you have a talented team and a great oline you can get results with a meh QB.

Also see the two teams in the super bowl, both great QBs walked into built or semi built teams.

With a low talent level you have no chance (see houston)

Build the team and then worry more about getting the QB.

27 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

@Paradis

Respect the effort. I like the way you're thinking about the team from a schematic standpoint and I always enjoy your draft takes.

We need playmakers and you've shed light on a bunch of them across the draft.

I also like how you're looking at TE. I also like Everett and think he's a good option in free agency, although I prefer Jonnu Smith, but I wouldn't complain with either. We need someone who will be a mismatch on that TE drag route and run away from LB's and safeties. I think Jonnu is faster, but I bet he'll be more expensive and I could absolutely see the Titans keeping him. I don't see the Rams re-signing Everett. 

I'd be looking at defense, specifically edge rusher and Will LB, at some point in this draft, but I understand the point of this exercise is to illuminate some offensive weapons that will be around at our picks and we should definitely be taking a few in the 2021 draft.

Mildly disappointed there's no mention of Toney (although the dude is talked about a lot), or Elijah Moore from Ole Miss. Toney could be the guy @ 23 or Elijah Moore could be the guy at 34 (although I do prefer Rondale Moore, but who knows how we play this draft and if we trade down or deal Sam and acquire another second in the process).

Not gonna get into the QB thing, because yea, I think the point of this is assuming a QB @ 2, which is definitely a likely scenario. 

And I'm happy you've been converted to the Michael Carter hype machine. Dude is for real. Jemar Jefferson of Oregon State is interesting too. 

All things considered, unless there's a player I love at 23, and assuming we did take a quarterback @ 2, I'd love to trade down from 23 and acquire a 2nd and 3rd rounder in the process. There are so many good players in that range this year: Ronnie Perkins, Jabril Cox, Baron Browning, either diminutive but shifty receiver with the last name Moore, Michael Carter, Eskridge, Dillon Randunz, Adebo, Newsome II, Benjamin St Juste and Quincy Roche.

I'd prefer two of those dudes to one Terrace Marshall right now, but I'm sure as we get more information on workouts during pro-days we'll have a clearer picture. 

Anyways good stuff, keep it up. 

Appreciate the thoughts. I'm a gator fan, and I thank Toney for his time. But in the 1st rnd? Good lord, no.  He's a slot receiver, with little positional flexibility... Yes you can manufacture some LOS touches for him - but even guys who crushed college like Shenault - that only goes so far. I picked these guys to represent people i thought give you lots of playcalling options in addition to the price being right. Toney - too expensive for my tastes. I dunno, @JiF probably has a stronger opinion than I on that one.

As much I'd love to see JD punt Defense to next year, he'd probably wake up to find Saleh in the rocking chair at foot of his bed one night, if he did. I see either #23 or #34 going CB or someone like Perkins. 

Don't sleep on Marshall! 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The sanchez point is that if you have a talented team and a great oline you can get results with a meh QB.

Also see the two teams in the super bowl, both great QBs walked into built or semi built teams.

With a low talent level you have no chance (see houston)

Build the team and then worry more about getting the QB.

Don’t like the Sanchez model. Think the goal is to get sustainable success in the long term by finding a franchise guy. Sanchez was stunted because a good team prioritized winning over their quarterback’s development.

Tampa was 7-9 last year. They went over the top because they got the great QB and guys wanted to play with him.

Buffalo wasn't built when Allen got there. They focused on his development and pieced a team around his skill set. Kansas City adjusted to fit what Mahomes does too. I’d like to follow that model and focus on developing a franchise QB.

And I agree that the Jets need to improve, too. I just don’t like the Sanchez model. I’m not sure if it would’ve worked out but it only bought the Jets a couple good seasons.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Marshall is more than capable of playing outside IMO. He can give you Aiyuk like production. Agree about the QB... that conversation is a thread vacuum so i'm trying to stay away from it.  Sucks that we're having to go down that road for obvious reasons, but also these topics become collateral damage; strong opinions and if one believes QB option A is the best --> then that permeates their entire offseason projection. 

Agree on the QB thing. No one (NFL teams very much included) knows how these guys are going to work out.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, derp said:

Don’t like the Sanchez model. Think the goal is to get sustainable success in the long term by finding a franchise guy. Sanchez was stunted because a good team prioritized winning over their quarterback’s development.

Tampa was 7-9 last year. They went over the top because they got the great QB and guys wanted to play with him.

Buffalo wasn't built when Allen got there. They focused on his development and pieced a team around his skill set. Kansas City adjusted to fit what Mahomes does too. I’d like to follow that model and focus on developing a franchise QB.

And I agree that the Jets need to improve, too. I just don’t like the Sanchez model. I’m not sure if it would’ve worked out but it only bought the Jets a couple good seasons.

The Sanchez model merely means that if you have  good team you can get some results even if you have a lousy to mediocre QB.  To be good long term in the league you need a good QB but just a good Qb guarantees nothing.

And it is often an easier landing for  young guy and a more impactful result from a vet if the team is built to almost built.

The Jets need to worry much more about elevating team talent than worrying about Qb right at this moment.

• Upvote 1