When do you think we’ll start hearing Darnold rumors

Rhg1084

54 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think we already have. He has one more year to prove he is the starter for our team while joe builds a roster with all those picks.

This is definitely the message and image that Joe Douglas has projected to the world.  Good.  It keeps Sam's trade value higher.  JD knows his poker.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I feel like Douglas has to know what his move will be.... If he was keeping Sam he’d come out to squash all rumors and say definitively Sam will be our guy next year, but he hasn’t done that. JD really runs a tight ship on any of these rumors breaking!

• Post of the Week 1

We could be left holding the bag with Darnold because choices are dwindling.  Who's left?  Colts, Pats and Bears are the only teams that don't have a QB.  Wentz will go to Colts or Bears and we ain't trading Darnold to the Pats. Maybe the Saints?  Is Darnold really better than WInston or Hill?

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

John. Johnny. No. It is not “dead.”

I could be wrong but at least for now it is dead. Will it come to life again around the start of the season? Maybe. Maybe McClain is right and that is what they are asking for: 2 1sts 1 2nds 2 defensive starters. If so the Jets will be out anyway. I think the upper bounder for the trade is what Cimini said 2 and 34. I don't see him going past that

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, rayzor said:

We could be left holding the bag with Darnold because choices are dwindling.  Who's left?  Colts, Pats and Bears are the only teams that don't have a QB.  Wentz will go to Colts or Bears and we ain't trading Darnold to the Pats. Maybe the Saints?  Is Darnold really better than WInston or Hill?

Niners. 

Gotta be patient...let teams go through their evaluation of QBs in the draft.  

You're not making a decision at QB in a vacuum.  It's fluid.  You may decide you want to draft Wilson and trade Darnold...but what if someone like WFT falls crazy in love with Wilson or Fields and offers three 1s to jump from 19.  That would certainly change their thinking on whether or not to keep Sam...at least I'd hope it would.

We got the hammer.  No need to get skittish.  We got most to offer Texans for Watson, should they decide to deal him; we got a young, talented, highly thought of, in some circles, QB; and we got the #2 pick and choice of any QB not named Lawrence.

Like hiring of Saleh.  We aren't settling.  May not agree with path Joe D takes but I can assure you we are choosing our own destiny.  We may choose wrong but it will be our choice. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

The Jets may not get a draft pick for Darnold in THIS years draft. It's quite possible if JD does not get good offers for Darnold he will hold on to him into next season and STILL draft a QB (Fields/Wilson), I mean, what's stopping him? Competition is good and Darnold will be competing for a job elsewhere in preseason/camp. If he does well, his trade value will inevitably go up. 

But odds are he is dealt before the draft. If rumors are suggesting he is worth a low 1st rounder, I'd take that and run.  

Drafting a QB and holding onto Darnold I would say is the least likely scenario...the last thing they want with a new regime and the positivity that comes with that is the daily discussion by hot take artists and fans of benching Darnold and why aren't they starting Wilson/Fields already?

If they draft a QB and he's more of a project and not ready to play right away, you keep Sam and let them compete.  With any luck, Sam plays really well and then you got a big decision on who to go forward with from a place of strength, which is always best position to deal from.

I don't think anyone would disagree the absolute best possible outcome is we keep Sam, use our salary cap room and draft capital to build around him, and he becomes what we all imagined he would after his first game in Detroit.

I have, and will continue to believe in Sam's talent and type of person and teammate he is.

I know we're in an age of instant gratification but the NFL is littered with QBs, who for one reason or another, didn't find immediate success.

Drew Brees, Rich Gannon, Steve Young, Ryan Tannenhill, Alex Smith, Vinny Testaverde, Phil Simms.

Just sayin.

17 minutes ago, JH Jet Fan said:

If they draft a QB and he's more of a project and not ready to play right away, you keep Sam and let then compete.  With any luck Sam plays really well and then you got a big decision on who to go forward with from a place of strength which is always best position to deal from.

I don't think anyone would disagree the absolute best possible outcome is we keep Sam, use our salary cap room and draft capital to build around him and he becomes what we all imagined he would after his first game in Detroit.

I have and will continue to believe in Sam's talent and type of person and teammate he is.

I know we're in an age of instant gratification but the NFL is littered with QBs, who for one reason or another, didn't find immediate success.

Drew Brees, Rich Gannon, Steve Young, Ryan Tannenhill, Alex Smith, Vinny Testaverde, Phil Simms.

Just sayin.

Wouldn’t we want a draft pick this year? I think if we’re gonna trade him I’d rather do it now for a pick this year 

45 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Wouldn’t we want a draft pick this year? I think if we’re gonna trade him I’d rather do it now for a pick this year 

Ideally, sure.  But I think trading a potential franchise QB is different from any other player.

Most important is to get the right value for him.

Besides, unlike normal years, there's value to 2022 & 2023 picks.  One, off top of my head, is scouting and evaluation process is compromised this year due to Covid-19.  A team with great scouts can really, really make a killing in this draft.

16 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

You don’t think we’re gonna know whether or not we’re keeping Sam till draft night? That’d be wild. I think we’ll have a pretty good idea whether or not he’ll be on the Jets next year within the next week or so

Its too early unless the offer is too good to pass on.

I am thinking the Jets need a month to review the film and have a couple serious sit downs with Darnold before deciding.

In my mind I would be looking in the two weeks prior to the draft.

11 hours ago, rayzor said:

I think there's a good chance whoever's trading for him isn't trading for him to start this year.

They're trading for his potential. He was a #1 overall prospect (went #3) just three years ago, he's 23 and I imagine there are teams out there that are convinced Mac and Gase ruined the kid and they think they can fix him.  I have a hard time believing any team will bring him in to start.  He was very bad last year - putting your eggs in that basket is super high risk..

17 hours ago, nycdan said:

If we trade Sam, we are probably locked into taking a QB at #2 (or trading it for DW).  I wouldn't be surprised if JD was working the #2 pick angle right now and it would be hard to do both simultaneously.  Once you put your QB on the block, it's really hard to unwind that so while there may be some quiet calls, I don't think you'll see it as a legit news item any time soon.

Don't agree with this.  All these GM's live in alternating universes.  They chat on the phone with a lot of what ifs.  It's how they build a picture of the market.  

As always, the issue here is value.  Do the offers for Sam justify his worth?  There a lot of "experts" and teams that see Darnold as a capable starter.  But he has a contract extension coming and it is unknown whether his value is real.  That's going to keep his trade value down.

JD is going to have to believe that Fields/Wilson are clearly better than that base line estimate of what Darnold might do playing for a real team in a better QB scheme.  And what might be available to them next year when we know some more generational qbs will be available in the draft.

And, of course, he then has to weigh the value of what he might get by trading the #2.  And that depends on what he thinks might be available in the slots that he receives for the #2.

So I don't think he knows what he is going to do.  I'm guessing he's had his phone earbuds surgically implanted.  He and Saleh (and LaFleur, etc) are drinking lots of coffee and kicking it around.  They have to have their draft board pretty complete before they can make the call.  We're just not there yet.

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I could be wrong but at least for now it is dead. Will it come to life again around the start of the season? Maybe. Maybe McClain is right and that is what they are asking for: 2 1sts 1 2nds 2 defensive starters. If so the Jets will be out anyway. I think the upper bounder for the trade is what Cimini said 2 and 34. I don't see him going past that

Trade negotiations dont start until someone says NO

20 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I'm thinking there's a good chance we might not know anything until draft night?

Agreed, unless there's a trade for Watson some how.  If (big IF) the Jets are trading for Watson then I can't envision them holding onto Sam in any type of overlapping time period.  Not just because it would be an odd or uncomfortable situation but because it likely brings down the return we'd get on Sam from a team trading for him.  Once a team knows the Jets are moving on the Jets lose some leverage.

13 minutes ago, addage said:

So I don't think he knows what he is going to do.  I'm guessing he's had his phone earbuds surgically implanted.  He and Saleh (and LaFleur, etc) are drinking lots of coffee and kicking it around.  They have to have their draft board pretty complete before they can make the call.  We're just not there yet.

You did NOT just go there! LOL