Betty’s Off-season Plan

BettyBoop

5 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

It’s difficult to fathom those who say we must dedicate the entire draft to the offense.  That’s just silly.  The team has needs that must be addressed on both sides of the ball.  Here’s how my plan would look.

Free Agency

The main focus here will be on the OL, WR and Edge given what’s out there.  

• Curtis Samuel, WR.  I just don’t think Douglas goes all-in with Allen Robinson.  Samuel is a terrific receiver and Douglas will double-town on WR in the draft.
  • Matt Judon, Edge.  This is the year Judon springs free and although he won’t be cheap, he will be worth it.
  • Joe Thuney, OG.  Ditto.

Trades

Great players will be available through trades due to cap restrictions and Douglas will explore them all.

• Marcus Lattimore, CB.  The Saints just can’t afford him.  Douglas will offer a third (Seattle pick) and 2022 fourth.  This will be a huge coupe for Douglas.  Lattimore is way better than any corner in the third round.

The Draft

Obviously there are two ways Douglas can go here.  He can keep Darnold for another trial year and trade back or he can take one of the three QB after Lawrence and trade Darnold.  Here’s the draft in the first scenario (keeping Darnold).  Douglas trades #2 to the Niners for #12, #43, #96, 2022 first and KJ Hamler, WR.   The draft then looks like this:

• #12 - Kyle Pitts, TE
  • #23 - Christian Darrisaw, OT
  • #34 - Jaelen Phillips, Edge
  • #43 - Creed Humphrey, C
  • #66 - Javonte Williams, RB
  • #86 - Quinn Meinerz, G/C
  • #96  - Ambry Thomas, CB
  • #101- Chaz Surratt, LB
  • #133 - Shi Smith, WR

Douglas will have reinforced three of the four weakest spots on the team.  With this haul, the OL will be set for quite some time, CB will be completely reinforced, Edge will be formidable and the passing game with Samuels, Pitts, Herndon, Mims, Crowder and Hamler will be a strength.  We can say goodbye to Fant ($10mm cap savings), Van Rotten, Lamar Jackson, Elflein, Griffen, Anderson and Alex Lewis.  That’s a cap  savings of almost $30mm.

And with three first rounders in 2022 Douglas can get his QB if Darnold sh*ts the bed again.

KJ Hamler is on the Broncos.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Ooops, wrong trade.  I mean Kendrick Bourne.  Fixed

Big fan of Bourne. That would be one hell of an offseason if they were to keep Darnold. That would be putting a team around him where if he didn't produce then it's a no brainer to get rid of him. 

I'm still with drafting Zach Wilson or Justin Fields at #2 though. I think both of those QBs will do well in LaFleur's offense. 

8 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

Big fan of Bourne. That would be one hell of an offseason if they were to keep Darnold. That would be putting a team around him where if he didn't produce then it's a no brainer to get rid of him. 

I'm still with drafting Zach Wilson or Justin Fields at #2 though. I think both of those QBs will do well in LaFleur's offense. 

If you combined Fields and Wilson I would be onboard.  Wilson is skilled, as is Fields, but Wilson reminds me a lot of Cutler who was a head case.  I worry about Fields’ bad games against good teams.

I love it.  A couple comments:

1. KJ Hamler plays on the Broncos, so that would be awkward. 

2. If you go WR at #23, you can get a stud. 

3. Signing Thuney and then drafting 2 more IOL seems redundant.  If we nab Humphrey, we could probably slide McGovern to RG. 

4. I’d have to assume we sign at least one member of the 49ers secondary (like 5 are free agents)

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Free Agency

• Curtis Samuel, WR.  I just don’t think Douglas goes all-in with Allen Robinson.  Samuel is a terrific receiver and Douglas will double-town on WR in the draft.
  • Matt Judon, Edge.  This is the year Judon springs free and although he won’t be cheap, he will be worth it.

Draft

• #12 - Kyle Pitts, TE
  • #101- Chaz Surratt, LB
  • #133 - Shi Smith, WR

I like the plan.  Great FA pickups.  Solid draft.  My only comment is that you said JD would double-down on WR in the draft and then you only took on in the 5th round.  It feels a little underwhelming although Pitts does make up for a lot of that.  

3 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

It’s difficult to fathom those who say we must dedicate the entire draft to the offense.  That’s just silly.  The team has needs that must be addressed on both sides of the ball.  Here’s how my plan would look.

Free Agency

Trades

Great players will be available through trades due to cap restrictions and Douglas will explore them all.

• Marcus Lattimore, CB.  The Saints just can’t afford him.  Douglas will offer a third (Seattle pick) and 2022 fourth.  This will be a huge coupe for Douglas.  Lattimore is way better than any corner in the third round.

The Draft

Obviously there are two ways Douglas can go here.  He can keep Darnold for another trial year and trade back or he can take one of the three QB after Lawrence and trade Darnold.  Here’s the draft in the first scenario (keeping Darnold).  Douglas trades #2 to the Niners for #12, #43, #96, 2022 first and Kendrick Bourne, WR.   The draft then looks like this:

• #12 - Kyle Pitts, TE
  • #101- Chaz Surratt, LB
  • #133 - Shi Smith, WR

Douglas will have reinforced three of the four weakest spots on the team.  With this haul, the OL will be set for quite some time, CB will be completely reinforced, Edge will be formidable and the passing game with Samuels, Pitts, Herndon, Mims, Crowder and Bourne will be a strength.  And running back will be fixed as well. We can say goodbye to Fant ($10mm cap savings), Van Rotten, Lamar Jackson, Elflein, Griffen, Anderson and Alex Lewis.  That’s a cap  savings of almost $30mm.

And with three first rounders in 2022 Douglas can get his QB if Darnold sh*ts the bed again.

GQEEhEg-1.gif.b5aeabe9238fe1f1df1f32185dd308e3.gif

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Free Agency

Trades

The Draft

Obviously there are two ways Douglas can go here.  He can keep Darnold for another trial year and trade back or he can take one of the three QB after Lawrence and trade Darnold.  Here’s the draft in the first scenario (keeping Darnold).  Douglas trades #2 to the Niners for #12, #43, #96, 2022 first and Kendrick Bourne, WR.   The draft then looks like this:

• #12 - Kyle Pitts, TE
  • #101- Chaz Surratt, LB
  • #133 - Shi Smith, WR

Douglas will have reinforced three of the four weakest spots on the team.  With this haul, the OL will be set for quite some time, CB will be completely reinforced, Edge will be formidable and the passing game with Samuels, Pitts, Herndon, Mims, Crowder and Bourne will be a strength.  And running back will be fixed as well. We can say goodbye to Fant ($10mm cap savings), Van Rotten, Lamar Jackson, Elflein, Griffen, Anderson and Alex Lewis.  That’s a cap  savings of almost $30mm.

I don't  think Pitts makes it to 12 and there will be a lot of teams willing to offer a 3rd and 4th for Lattimore. He will cost more than that. 

I just don’t understand why people aren’t fine with trading draft assets for a proven star to get Watson, but are willing to trade those same assets to “move up” next year if darnold sucks again and get a question mark. We have the second pick, take the qb you want and you won’t have to mortgage said draft assets. I really can’t wrap my head around people wanting to bring Sam back for a fourth year in his third offensive system when he has proven nothing. 

• Upvote 2