What's on the Menu?

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Man, you are really pressing my buttons today.  I've had tostones.  They're awesome.  Have heard of breadfruit, but never experienced it.  What's it like, starchy?

It fills you up quickly.

Just 100 g of breadfruit (approximately ½ cup) provides 25% of the RDA for fiber, and 5–10% of the RDA for protein, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, thiamine (B1), and niacin (B3). Breadfruit also provides some carotenoids, such as β-carotene and lutein, which are not present in white rice or white potato.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Downtown Brooklyn used to have some good spots, also the worst neighborhoods I have ever been in, probably not worth it. I'm sure any Puerto Rican place will have them.

It must be a long time since you ha e been to downtown  Brooklyn.  Thry have a higher average rent than Manhattan.  

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Back in the 80s, I had a job where I was assigned two territories in Manhattan.   Wound up in some of the toughest neighborhoods, wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase, where I thought I'd at the very least get knifed. lol   

It's where I was exposed to lots of different ethnic foods which were a departure from my Italian/French background.  I had my first Cuban sandwich on lower 14th street as an example.   That's why it's a head scratcher that I never had pasteles.  Now, I'm on a mission to taste one even if I have to make 'em myself.

You people  need to go down to Hells Kitchen on Ninth Ave. Not sure how it is now with everything getting closed down but that is my go to whenever  someone says let's meet for dinner and wr don't know where to go. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It must be a long time since you ha e been to downtown  Brooklyn.  Thry have a higher average rent than Manhattan.  

Last time I was on Knickerbocker Ave. cops wouldn't even go down those streets. They had baseball stadium lights on trucks and would just shine them down the blocks.

14 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I am sure you'll find a great 'hole in the wall' type of restaurant.

Some recommendations:

*Mofongo- stuffed plaintain (shrimp and pork are the most common) served in a 'pilon'

* Pasteles 

* Alcapurrias 

* Tostones

* Bacalao (cod fish prepared in various ways: stew, rice mix, etc).

* Roasted pig or pernil (baked shank).

My Mom was the champ at making dishes with "baccala".   Remember being a kid in the 60s walking past the dried up salt cod sitting in baskets in front of our Italian market.  Folks just getting a pungent whiff of the stuff would have no idea how it is transformed into a delicate, mild fish.  I can see my Mom soaking it for three days with the multiple changes of water.  

Thanks for bringing back the memory.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You people  need to go down to Hells Kitchen on Ninth Ave. Not sure how it is now with everything getting closed down but that is my go to whenever  someone says let's meet for dinner and wr don't know where to go. 

That used to be a really bad area too, my uncle lived there, people were shooting up in the streets.

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

My Mom was the champ at making dishes with "baccala".   Remember being a kid in the 60s walking past the dried up salt cod sitting in baskets in front of our Italian market.  Folks just getting a pungent whiff of the stuff would have no idea how it is transformed into a delicate, mild fish.  I can see my Mom soaking it for three days with the multiple changes of water.  

Thanks for bringing back the memory.  

Yeah, nowadays you don't have to spend that much time, sort of unsalted. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Coming down pretty good here in Bergen County.  Huge flakes.  Maybe 1-2 inches on cars.  Less on the ground still from the higher temperature earlier.

I would settle for snow and higher temps.  This is what I woke up to this AM.

May be an image of text that says '7:09 -15° Feels 33° Milwaukee maha Chicago Detroit Next Hour: No precipitation. NOW Clear -15° AM -12° AM Partly Cloudy PM Mostly Cloudy -6° PM Overcast -2° PM 0° 7PM 0° 9 PM -1° 11PM PM -3° 1AM 20'

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Seriously you two need to stop it. Talk about food or go to another thread. 

This. How does joewilly’s psychosis manage to even ruin a good thread?

No guests or party for us.

My wife is making a 7-layer dip for nachos. We are strangely excited for it, because it’s been a year since we’ve had party food.

20140212-vegan-nachos-recipe-primary.jpg

I was going to smoke wings, but don’t wanna bother in the snow. I may roast them instead. We’ll see. That or sit on my ass. Tough choice.

chicken-wings-1-2-1024x683.jpg

My beer of choice:

beer_46_night_shift_santilli_2000x.jpg?v

My backup plan if Brady wins:

Bulleit-Bourbon-Dinner.jpg?fit=2048,1100

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

What kind of fish is the norm for fish tacos usually? Is it fried cod? 

It depends on what else you’re doing on the taco. I like a good grilled white fish, like cod or haddock, for basic fish tacos. If you start getting into crema and unique sauces and fixings, then meatier fish like tuna and salmon can be good. I generally don’t like my fish fried on fish tacos. To each their own.

I’ve had an ahi tuna street taco with a wasabi crema and teriyaki glaze, pickled onions, etc. jizzed my cargo shorts

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I am sure you'll find a great 'hole in the wall' type of restaurant.

Some recommendations:

*Mofongo- stuffed plaintain (shrimp and pork are the most common) served in a 'pilon'

* Pasteles 

* Alcapurrias 

* Tostones

* Bacalao (cod fish prepared in various ways: stew, rice mix, etc).

* Roasted pig or pernil (baked shank).

Mofongo was my favorite meal when I went to PR, followed by the empanadas and fufu (which was similar to the mofongo).

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Hells Kitchen changed big time when the Gay community  moved there. 

The gay community did the same here in Boston. Really transformed the entire South End. Converted the warzone, which I guess was Boston’s version of 42nd street for us in NY

Now all the best food spots are there 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I lived in Forest Hills, Flushing and Bayside.  My view for most of my childhood was the alley between a pair of Lefrak buildings.  Being Covid home bound for so long, I've learned to appreciate the beauty of where I am:

146180882_1664204570432359_4416038291308

It's  sticking here now. Coming down at a good clip

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This. How does joewilly’s psychosis manage to even ruin a good thread?

No guests or party for us.

My wife is making a 7-layer dip for nachos. We are strangely excited for it, because it’s been a year since we’ve had party food.

20140212-vegan-nachos-recipe-primary.jpg

I was going to smoke wings, but don’t wanna bother in the snow. I may roast them instead. We’ll see. That or sit on my ass. Tough choice.

chicken-wings-1-2-1024x683.jpg

My beer of choice:

beer_46_night_shift_santilli_2000x.jpg?v

My backup plan if Brady wins:

Bulleit-Bourbon-Dinner.jpg?fit=2048,1100

I had my first shot yesterday and I can stop by the Minute Clinic for an instant test on my way up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1