What's on the Menu?

Wow. You guys are inspiring.

Compared to you'se all, it's a very modest affair up in the Green Mountains ... It's just me, solo ... A couple of good skin-on franks, with some home made sausage chili, washed down by a couple of locally brewed Switchback ales. May be supplemented with nachos.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, Bungaman said:

Wow. You guys are inspiring.

Compared to you'se all, it's a very modest affair up in the Green Mountains ... It's just me, solo ... A couple of good skin-on franks, with some home made sausage chili, washed down by a couple of locally brewed Switchback ales. May be supplemented with nachos.

Sounds perfect, dude. ♥️ Switchback.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Have you tried the Trader Joe's brown rice pasta?   I was on a food trial for several months and that solved my pasta craving.  Sounds weird, but with tomato sauce and Parmigiano it is surprisingly true to the taste of regular pasta.  

Also, you can do some pretty awesome turkey meatballs to go with the pasta.

Thanks but that's filled with carbs..  I can eat the turkey meatballs though.. while tears stream down my face.

I think I'll just go get a steak for myself and she can eat whatever she wants.  She'll guilt trip me a little about the cows but just because she had some kind of epiphany 4 years ago and won't eat steak or pork any longer doesn't mean I can't.  Normally I don't care but today feels like a good day to have a fat steak..  and a side of cauliflower rice

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Ugh. Worst part about roasting wings is the fatty skin glob that they sit in. It cooks off in a fryer or grill.

I’m trying a couple methods here to get them to crisp. I tossed one batch in panko and olive oil mayo. Just a tad. Hoping it can help cook off the slimy skin and add a bit of crunch. 

Since roasted wings are typically ‘wetter’ by nature, I don’t toss them in sauce. I use a couple of my dry rub recipes. 

Wingers crossed.

After removing from the fryer put them in a pre-heated oven 350 for 5 minutes or try this method a friend of mine uses he goes over them with a plumbers torch they are always crispy. 

image.thumb.png.a34bbec9bfd807ccf924f8904eef4821.png

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

Thanks but that's filled with carbs..  I can eat the turkey meatballs though.. while tears stream down my face.

I think I'll just go get a steak for myself and she can eat whatever she wants.  She'll guilt trip me a little about the cows but just because she had some kind of epiphany 4 years ago and won't eat steak or pork any longer doesn't mean I can't.  Normally I don't care but today feels like a good day to have a fat steak..  and a side of cauliflower rice

I'm an idiot.  I was thinking gluten free when you said carbs.  My bad.  Sorry about that, Pac.

And don't scoff at the turkey meatballs.  Yeah, they will never be the beef, pork & veal holy triumvirate.   But I make them all the time and they're fantastic.  I don't even fry them any more, instead doing them in the oven.    Normally, I'd tell you to make sure you add a good quantity of Parmigiano and chopped herbs.   (Basil, thyme, sage & rosemary--in combination or on their own--all work.)  But I believe the Reggiano has some carbs.  

Steak sounds like a great choice btw.  And I like cauliflower in any form.  lol  Good version is adding still hot cauliflower to a bowl with chopped garlic, olive oil and salt & pepper.   Fantastic.

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Whoever came up with the name Growler  needs to have a damn statue of the themselves someplace.,

You got me curious.  Asked at the brewery where the term "growler" came from.  Nobody knows for sure, but the most common explanation is that if the take home cans/bottles are not properly sealed, the CO2 escapes through the lid and makes a growling sound.  Could be BS, but it sounds good, so thats what I am going with from now on.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

I lived in Forest Hills, Flushing and Bayside.  My view for most of my childhood was the alley between a pair of Lefrak buildings.  Being Covid home bound for so long, I've learned to appreciate the beauty of where I am:

146180882_1664204570432359_4416038291308

Great pic Dcat, here is mine this morning.

C6B3E76E-2A2F-4A12-9CA4-04E497DBC0D8.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 4

Was originally going to go fishing, but wife just announced That my adult kids, and their spouses/or girlfriends are coming .  I'm going to have 10 people here.  Grrrrr

So now the wife is making home made deep dish pizza, with all kinds of junk on top, and pasta on the side, daughter is bringing ribs and home made cold slaw.   Youngest kid is bringing a new girl friend from Lebanon who is bringing something called sfeeha?  (no idea what it is and I'm a bit concerned LOL)

Won't get to go fishing, but will have lots to eat, and lots of bock beer to drink  :)   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Was originally going to go fishing, but wife just announced That my adult kids, and their spouses/or girlfriends are coming .  I'm going to have 10 people here.  Grrrrr

So now the wife is making home made deep dish pizza, with all kinds of junk on top, and pasta on the side, daughter is bringing ribs and home made cold slaw.   Youngest kid is bringing a new girl friend from Lebanon who is bringing something called sfeeha?  (no idea what it is and I'm a bit concerned LOL)

Won't get to go fishing, but will have lots to eat, and lots of bock beer to drink  :)   

Again, so fun looking up new foods you guys are mentioning.  That's some sort of meat pie.  Sounds like you are in for a real treat.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

lol  Totally remember the Uncle Jun' line.  He's so right.   As you know, crazy thing about baccala is that if you rehydrate it properly, you actually need to add salt during the cooking process.

Where's you family from?

From the toe of da boot, Calabria , from the Reggio region in a town named mammola. A 1000+ year old town that once had 10k inhabitants.
Now, there’s like 1000 people. You?

image.png.c42ba0f48ee65860fd9378da7d46fd73.png

• Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Lith said:

You got me curious.  Asked at the brewery where the term "growler" came from.  Nobody knows for sure, but the most common explanation is that if the take home cans/bottles are not properly sealed, the CO2 escapes through the lid and makes a growling sound.  Could be BS, but it sounds good, so thats what I am going with from now on.

Better than I hoped for, thanx.