"Multiple teams" have called on Darnold, per Schefter

mrcoops

https://twitter.com/ESPNNewYork/status/1358401635941187585?s=20

Sources: Multiple teams reached out to New York Jets about Sam Darnold

• Adam Schefter ESPN Senior Writer

At a time when quarterback trade talks across the league already have heated up, multiple teams have reached out to the New York Jets and expressed interest in trading for the former No. 3 overall pick Sam Darnold, per league sources.

The Jets haven't turned away the calls, per sources, but they also haven't made any final and firm quarterback decisions about what direction they want to or are ready to go.

They could trade Darnold, use the compensation they get back in return for another quarterback, or draft a quarterback with the second overall pick. All options are being explored and are on the table, per one league source.

Contacted Saturday, the Jets would not confirm they received any trade calls on Darnold. Other sources however, have said they have.

Looking back to the first quarterback trade agreement last weekend should provide a glimpse at the potential market for Darnold.

Teams who made calls on Matthew Stafford, who was traded from Detroit to the Los Angeles Rams last weekend, included the Washington Football Team, the Indianapolis Colts, the Carolina Panthers, the San Francisco 49ers, the Chicago Bears and others.

The Jets aren't ready to make a trade yet, and still are sifting through what is the best path for the organization to take. But with Stafford off to Los Angeles, and the Eagles nearing a deal for Carson Wentz, the Jets are not expected to be far behind in making a quarterback decision of their own that will have league-wide ramifications.

Just for giggles....Let's say the Jets were able to trade Sam for a late first round pick giving us 3 first round picks this year.  Would you call the Jaguars and offer the three picks which lets face it if Myers wants Fields could get him with the second pick and then add other talent with the other picks while we move up one spot and get Lawrence....Its intriguing.  

• Thumb Down 8

4 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Just for giggles....Let's say the Jets were able to trade Sam for a late first round pick giving us 3 first round picks this year.  Would you call the Jaguars and offer the three picks which lets face it if Myers wants Fields could get him with the second pick and then add other talent with the other picks while we move up one spot and get Lawrence....Its intriguing.  

Why do that? Let him take him at #1.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

You’re a dreamer...just a dreamer

• Haha 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

They must be really diving deep into the qbs in the draft especially wilson.  Those guys have a major impact on what they do.

Agreed. A trade of Sam now likely means we are high on Wilson or Fields but it also shows that the Texans may want to consider the #2 pick because of how serious we are.

There aren't many outcomes I'd be really upset with haha

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

This.  I don't know why so many people seem to look at this as an "either/or." 

We can draft a QB and build the roster around the new QB with all the draft capital we have in the next two years.  IF we trade Darnold and draft a QB at two, we still have 5 other picks in the top 100, plus two more 1s next season.  And $80 mill in cap room.  We can almost completely remake the roster around a QB between this off-season and next.

For sure.  If Watson doesn't happen (which I don't think it will) and they trade Darnold, I would expect them to sign a reclamation QB like Trubisky or Mariota, pick a QB at 2.  

Any way the QB role plays out, Jets will look completely different next year, which is exciting.  At least for the time being.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

If this Wentz to Chicago stuff is true...forget lowball. Put the screws to the colts. They’re gonna be desperate.

It could also mean that the Texans are serious about not trading Watson. Multiple reports by fairly reliable guys have been saying that Nagy absolutely loves him and that the Bears were willing to do pretty much whatever it takes to get him.

It could also mean that the Texans are serious about not trading Watson. Multiple reports by fairly reliable guys have been saying that Nagy absolutely loves him and that the Bears were willing to do pretty much whatever it takes to get him.

I’m fine with that. I have no issue with drafting one of these QB at #2. And if Joe D can trade Darnold for a late 1 or 2, we can be sure he won’t make the same mistake that Coffee Boy made. Super charge this offense. [mention]Paradis [/mention] showed you the way in the other thread.
  • Haha 1

If Wentz goes for the Bears First rounder It really is going to Boost Sam's trade value. If that trade actually happens we are getting offers of at-least the Colts pick. How could you not?

When the offers come how could JD say no? We essentially lock in prime position if Watson does get traded. If he doesn't get traded your in prime position to select Wilson and give him a ton of support with super low salaries.

• Upvote 1

Will be so curious to see what the compensation is for Sam. The cost of acquiring a QB was way more than I would have guessed if you look at Staffords deal plus a presumed first + for Wentz.

I know schefter said he thought Darnold would get a late first but I just can’t see it. Assuming Wentz goes to the bears the other teams that called for Stafford are:

Indy - didn’t offer a first for Stafford - offered a 2 and players 

Carolina - offered 8 and late round picks 

denver - pick swap that equates to a late first

Pats - second rounder plus player 

49ers - unclear but apparently didn’t offer pick 12

Washington - 19 overall plus a 3

I can’t see Jets trading with New England so remove them from the list. Carolina seems to be the most aggressive but given the uncertainty with Darnold (really a 1 year flier) it seems risky for them to make the trade as they’re still 2 years away from competing. 

That would leave Denver, Washington, 49ers and colts (assuming they don’t get Wentz).

My guess for compensation would be:

Washington - first round pick and Jets send back their third (equivalent to pick 30)

Denver - Swap 9 for 23 and Sam (equivalent to pick 30)

49ers/Colts - a second round pick plus a player.

I’d be ecstatic with any of those but my guess is JD would be more inclined to take the pick plus player from 49ers/colts. 49ers players obviously would fit our new system and we all know the Jets are obsessed with colts players.

• Upvote 3

One more thing - When you see leaks like this its hard to not think the Jets are seriously thinking about moving Darnold and will take a first if it is offered. 

The leak kind of states - You people that want Wentz - We have a younger/cheaper guy thats going to get moved. Come call us. 

To me this whole QB carousal and leaks means Darnold would be moved in the next few weeks rather than near the draft. It seems like QB is the first moves to teams offseason. I would guess Sam is traded by the start of the league year if we are indeed offered a first. 

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

If any team gives a first round pick for Sam I don’t know how you don’t pull the trigger. 

If they think Sam is better than any rookie they won’t trade him yet.   Unless they can get Watson, they will run it back with Sam.  Fans will be upset but this is looking likely.

• Upvote 3