"Multiple teams" have called on Darnold, per Schefter

mrcoops

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

If they think Sam is better than any rookie they won’t trade him yet.   Unless they can get Watson, they will run it back with Sam.  Fans will be upset but this is looking likely.

I get the idea of this. What I don’t get is what has Sam done to make anyone think that? 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

45 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Haha thank god this forum isn’t in the business of choosing qbs. Remember the hackenberg love on here ??

Yeah, and I remember all the members here that were convinced Mahomes wasn’t worth drafting, and even was telling Mahomes college coach such, when he was on this board saying Mahomes was the real deal.........

just sayin....

30 minutes ago, Lith said:

Even if we keep Darnold, I would want to bring in a reclamation type QB to compete with him.  He has not done enough in 3 years to just be handed the job without legit competition.  And if you bring in a Trubisky/Mariota/Winston type you are bringing in guys that are young enough that they can be a long term solution if they figure it out with the change of scenery and new opportunity.

Keeping Sam options are not high on my list of priorities, but if JD and team legit do not like Fields/Wilson.  Do not see them as a potential top-10 QB.  Don't reach.  Maybe we trade out of 2, take another guy later in R1 (Jones/Lance/Trask) and keep Sam around while the rookie sits.  Or keep Sam with legit competition as mentioned above.

I am still a big Justin Fields fan.  Assuming Watson is not an option, my preference is Fields first or Wilson.  But I do see scenarios where keeping Sam could make sense.  Bottom line is we have a lot of options to rebuild the team.  As long as JD and Saleh are good at their jobs, we should be okay regardless of what path they choose.  And if they are not competent, then we are f**ked anyway.

Great stuff. Sometimes, the simplest explanation is the most profound. This is the absolute bottom line here. Well said.?

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

If this Wentz to Chicago stuff is true...forget lowball. Put the screws to the colts. They’re gonna be desperate.

If I’m the colts, I’d prefer the #2 pick over Sam. They are set up for a rookie to succeed. People would forgive grigson missing on a drafted QB, but if he trades a first round pick for a guy who has demonstrated the inability to play QB in the NFL and it fails, that’s a job ender. 

8 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If I’m the colts, I’d prefer the #2 pick over Sam. They are set up for a rookie to succeed. People would forgive grigson missing on a drafted QB, but if he trades a first round pick for a guy who has demonstrated the inability to play QB in the NFL and it fails, that’s a job ender. 

I wonder how many of the calls they're taking involve discussions about Sam and/or the #2 pick. I'd imagine there'd be some overlap. It would be fun to hear what kind of offers they're getting for the pick, too. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Would anything be more Jetsy than Jets trading Sam for a 3rd, and either trading for Watson or drafting Fields/Wilson, watching Watson/Fields/Wilson be meh for 5 years and Sam turn into an elite player?

Not saying this is high probability, but since we are the Jets, it is not a zero probability situation.

yes.............yes it is

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

Just for giggles....Let's say the Jets were able to trade Sam for a late first round pick giving us 3 first round picks this year.  Would you call the Jaguars and offer the three picks which lets face it if Myers wants Fields could get him with the second pick and then add other talent with the other picks while we move up one spot and get Lawrence....Its intriguing.  

Just for sh*ts and giggles....no.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

Just for giggles....Let's say the Jets were able to trade Sam for a late first round pick giving us 3 first round picks this year.  Would you call the Jaguars and offer the three picks which lets face it if Myers wants Fields could get him with the second pick and then add other talent with the other picks while we move up one spot and get Lawrence....Its intriguing.  

What Is Wrong With You Season 1 GIF by AwesomenessTV

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Just to play devil's advocate here....they may look at Sam as basically a rookie, albeit one with 2 1/2 years experience. One who has been poorly coached and has endured a serious lack of talent on offense. Not saying I'd agree with this assessment, but they may look at it something like this.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I’m guessing the Jets planted this story

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

If any team gives a first round pick for Sam I don’t know how you don’t pull the trigger. 

Seriously.  Wouldn’t THREE 2021 first round picks (including the second overall) be enough to get it done?  There’s no way any other team can compete with an offer like that unless they start throwing in young blue chip players.

1 hour ago, freestater said:

if we had three 1sts this year, I'd prefer to call the Texans rather than the Jaguars 

When you think about this way and word it like this before last season would you trade Sam Darnold Jamaal Adams and 2021 1st round pick for DeShaun Watson and a 2022 1st round pick what would you say?

29 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Which is precisely why the Jets can't and won't keep him.

• Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

How would the colts acquire pick #2 exactly? 

• Upvote 1

Take the player out of it, and I hope this isn’t happening, but human nature, you have a player you want to trade, say you put a value in your head of a late 2 and all of sudden the market dictates a much better return from multiple teams, some being well run organizations. Do you second guess your position? Do you maybe give more of pass based on offensive philosophy. Definitely not an easy decision. 

The thing about drafting a new Qb is you have to start new from Day 1. I think most NFL teams feel that with Sam he should have the training wheels off the learning curve is basically done and he can be fitted into their offense. If we do go that way we have to sign a vet Qb to initially start maybe even bring back Flacco. So this is my argument for keeping Sam if we can't get Lawrence. If the new CS thinks they can win with him. If they don't trade him this offseason. Let Saleh start on a good note with the GM and org. If he is not on board with their choice for starting Qb it's not where we want to be with this guy. It's a big decision for the org maybe the biggest.  Hopefully the ownership doesn't again interfere. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

This.  I don't know why so many people seem to look at this as an "either/or." 

We can draft a QB and build the roster around the new QB with all the draft capital we have in the next two years.  If we trade Darnold and draft a QB at two, we still have 5 other picks in the top 100, plus two more 1s next season.  And $80 mill in cap room.  We can almost completely remake the roster around a QB between this off-season and next.  No need to build the roster this offseason and add the QB next.

I like this more than trading a haul for Watson. But i prefer to keep Darnold and trade down. I'll maintain that Sam's gonna be really really good in the Shanny offense. And if the trade down nets us another 1st rounder in 2022, well damn that's how a sustainable winner is built. 

• Upvote 4

If joe is blown away with an offer, they don’t have to draft a QB this year if they aren’t in love with anyone. They can then trade out if two and get more picks in next years draft.  We would be I position to still get Watson if he sits out a year, or to pick a QB next year. We aren’t going to make the playoffs next year anyways. Sign fitz or trade for Mariota. 

10 minutes ago, Wit said:

If joe is blown away with an offer, they don’t have to draft a QB this year if they aren’t in love with anyone. They can then trade out if two and get more picks in next years draft.  We would be I position to still get Watson if he sits out a year, or to pick a QB next year. We aren’t going to make the playoffs next year anyways. Sign fitz or trade for Mariota. 

Na now is the time to take the Qb. We’re not gonna have a top 2 pick again next year and we won’t be in a position to trade away draft capital and move up. Just take Wilson or Fields and go to work with all of our draft capital and cap space. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

If they think Sam is better than any rookie they won’t trade him yet.   Unless they can get Watson, they will run it back with Sam.  Fans will be upset but this is looking likely.

Correct.  People are acting like a deal is imminent because they're getting calls.  Of course they're getting calls.  And thus far they've been saying no thanks.

Still see it as Watson or Sam.

43 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

When you think about this way and word it like this before last season would you trade Sam Darnold Jamaal Adams and 2021 1st round pick for DeShaun Watson and a 2022 1st round pick what would you say?

I'll admit I'm pretty high, but you'll have to reword that before I can answer it....

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Haha 3

Taking calls is just taking calls.  JD probably takes a lot of calls about a lot of different things.  They’re not trading Sam anytime soon.  At least not before they have another option.  While I love the idea of Watson, its more likely a wet dream so if they trade Sam it’s probably on draft day unless they plan on taking a QB at 2, then maybe they move him before but doubt it. 

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

They could trade Darnold, use the compensation they get back in return for another quarterback, or draft a quarterback with the second overall pick. All options are being explored and are on the table, per one league source.

One might say our options are incredibly numerous

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

Correct.  People are acting like a deal is imminent because they're getting calls.  Of course they're getting calls.  And thus far they've been saying no thanks.

Still see it as Watson or Sam.

i agree and you have to figure that the new jets staff is really evaluating wilson right now, since they're likely going to make a decision on darnold in the coming weeks before FA since other teams want to solidify their qb options sooner rather than later.  

49 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

I like this more than trading a haul for Watson. But i prefer to keep Darnold and trade down. I'll maintain that Sam's gonna be really really good in the Shanny offense. And if the trade down nets us another 1st rounder in 2022, well damn that's how a sustainable winner is built. 

I do not expect Watson to be traded.  Interesting game of chicken playing out in Houston right now.  But I have seen enough of Darnold, I would rather we trade him and draft a guy at 2.  But if we decide to keep him, I will be rooting like hell to be proven wrong. 

• Upvote 2