"Multiple teams" have called on Darnold, per Schefter

mrcoops

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I do not expect Watson to be traded.  Interesting game of chicken playing out in Houston right now.  But I have seen enough of Darnold, I would rather we trade him and draft a guy at 2.  But if we decide to keep him, I will by rooting like hell to be proven wrong about him. 

This seems like the odds on favorite of what will happen as of today!

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Will be so curious to see what the compensation is for Sam. The cost of acquiring a QB was way more than I would have guessed if you look at Staffords deal plus a presumed first + for Wentz.

I know schefter said he thought Darnold would get a late first but I just can’t see it. Assuming Wentz goes to the bears the other teams that called for Stafford are:

Indy - didn’t offer a first for Stafford - offered a 2 and players 

Carolina - offered 8 and late round picks 

denver - pick swap that equates to a late first

Pats - second rounder plus player 

49ers - unclear but apparently didn’t offer pick 12

Washington - 19 overall plus a 3

I can’t see Jets trading with New England so remove them from the list. Carolina seems to be the most aggressive but given the uncertainty with Darnold (really a 1 year flier) it seems risky for them to make the trade as they’re still 2 years away from competing. 

That would leave Denver, Washington, 49ers and colts (assuming they don’t get Wentz).

My guess for compensation would be:

Washington - first round pick and Jets send back their third (equivalent to pick 30)

Denver - Swap 9 for 23 and Sam (equivalent to pick 30)

49ers/Colts - a second round pick plus a player.

I’d be ecstatic with any of those but my guess is JD would be more inclined to take the pick plus player from 49ers/colts. 49ers players obviously would fit our new system and we all know the Jets are obsessed with colts players.

I would have taken the Carolina trade offer for Stanford 

The key question is whether JD thinks he can get a QB at 2, or whereever he can trade down to, who will be as good or better than Sam, taking into account he has that new rookie contract for 4-5 years.

I just pulled up the Bleacher Report Summary of QBs drafted over the last 10 decades.  It ain't pretty.  QBs in the top 5-10 include guys like Bortles, Rosen, Mariota, Winston, Trubisky.  Even Wentz and Goff.

Luck, Mahomes (10), Watson (12) are there too.

I think, quite honestly, one of the largest indicator is personal quality/makeup/work ethic/mental stability.  

No one doubted that Luck would be a great NFL QB.  He was picked by a bad team and driven into the ground.  Look at how that ended up.  

There were doubts on Watson and Mahomes.  Not person. Style of play (Mahomes), arms-strength outside in NE (Watson)-I think they clocked his fast ball slow.  

I have no doubt that Wilson or Fields could be good in the NFL.  I also have no doubt either or both could bust.   I see Wilson as being someone who could get hurt.  Fields will remind people of Haskins.   But it makes sense for another team to  trade a low first/second for Darnold if they have no other options.  The Jets could have other options-they have the second pick.  I am just feeling that the second pick is not worth what it has been in prior years.  

This is the offseason and the time of year when all sorts of scouting personnel, analytics nerds and professional evaluators spend 20 hours per day pouring over film, data, interviews and anything they can get their hands on.  My guess is that several people are reaching the same conclusion - Sam Darnold as a prospect in 2018 and following his rookie year was on an upward trajectory and pathing towards being a FQB.  That is the guy they would be interested in trading something for, that's the guy they want to reboot and put in a similar Shanahan-style system to what he played in with Jeremy Bates.  Wouldn't be shocked at all if the Jets got a late 1st for him.

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is the point so many here seem to be missing.  If they stick with Sam, we root for him to pull a Tannehill Allen-like turnaround.  Storming the castle with torches and pitchforks (hopefully figuratively) may be satisfying for the moment, but kind of defeats the purpose of being a fan.  I like Wilson the least of all the major options but if they go that way, I will root for him to be as good as Fidelio and others think he'll be.  

Now if they had stuck with Gase, that would be a different matter and I'd be right out in front of the mob ;)

Modified what you wrote, but we're saying the same thing.  Darnold was on a decent path after his rookie year, has never had a QB coach in the NFL, and has played on a subpar offensive roster under a head coach who has already shown his players do better after they get away from him.  I'm not saying whether he should be here or not, and we should always look to upgrade.  But if he's here we 100% root for him.... and I think there's upside in a new system, under a new coach, and with better talent that actually sees the field more than the training room.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is the offseason and the time of year when all sorts of scouting personnel, analytics nerds and professional evaluators spend 20 hours per day pouring over film, data, interviews and anything they can get their hands on.  My guess is that several people are reaching the same conclusion - Sam Darnold as a prospect in 2018 and following his rookie year was on an upward trajectory and pathing towards being a FQB.  That is the guy they would be interested in trading something for, that's the guy they want to reboot and put in a similar Shanahan-style system to what he played in with Jeremy Bates.  Wouldn't be shocked at all if the Jets got a late 1st for him.

Agreed.  I think some other teams may have a similar view of Maccagnan's and Gase's impact on Sam as we do.  That it was a two year pit of despair that no QB could have survived, especially a young one, and that Sam is more than worth the gamble that they can put him back on that trajectory he started on in 2018.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, JiF said:

Taking calls is just taking calls.  JD probably takes a lot of calls about a lot of different things.  They’re not trading Sam anytime soon.  At least not before they have another option.  While I love the idea of Watson, its more likely a wet dream so if they trade Sam it’s probably on draft day unless they plan on taking a QB at 2, then maybe they move him before but doubt it. 

I disagree with this.  JD is a pure value driven guy. He puts a value on everyone on the roster including budding stars like Q and Becton. I suspect he's getting indications for Sam at levels that don't line up with his value.  If/When someone shows him something better than his value, he'll pull the trigger.  Now, if his value is two #1's, he's obviously intent on keeping Sam.  But if it's a late one and the Colts call offering #21, or the Saints call and offer #28 + a player, I think he books it...

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is the point so many here seem to be missing.  If they stick with Sam, we root for him to pull an Allen-like turnaround.  Storming the castle with torches and pitchforks (hopefully figuratively) may be satisfying for the moment, but kind of defeats the purpose of being a fan.  I like Wilson the least of all the major options but if they go that way, I will root for him to be as good as Fidelio and others think he'll be.  

Now if they had stuck with Gase, that would be a different matter and I'd be right out in front of the mob ;)

I appreciate this but honestly not sure I could watch another season of Sam.  Just a slug out there this year. 

6 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I disagree with this.  JD is a pure value driven guy. He puts a value on everyone on the roster including budding stars like Q and Becton. I suspect he's getting indications for Sam at levels that don't line up with his value.  If/When someone shows him something better than his value, he'll pull the trigger.  Now, if his value is two #1's, he's obviously intent on keeping Sam.  But if it's a late one and the Colts call offering #21, or the Saints call and offer #28 + a player, I think he books it...

Except if he trades Sam, it becomes a lot more difficult to trade #2 unless it's for Watson.  He can't come out of this offseason with Kyle Allen and Mac Jones as his QBs.  So if he trades Sam, and then someone shows up with a huge offer for #2 that doesn't involve a top-8 pick (where we can reasonably expect to get Lance at least) then he screwed himself.  That's why I don't think he'll trade Sam until he's figured out the #2 situation first.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

@Mogglezand @football guyhave been telling us this for weeks. Another Schefter scoop??

FWIW, nothing has changed. I don't think the Jets are going to rush and make a decision. I don't think he'll get traded, but as I've said, if a team gets bold and offers a 1st round pick I have a hard time believing they wouldn't strongly consider jumping on it.

I still think the most likely outcome will be a trade down from #2 to #8

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Loved your post until the bolded. That won't be enough. For me, and probably for JD who's proven to be  tough negotiator. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Except if he trades Sam, it becomes a lot more difficult to trade #2 unless it's for Watson.  He can't come out of this offseason with Kyle Allen and Mac Jones as his QBs.  So if he trades Sam, and then someone shows up with a huge offer for #2 that doesn't involve a top-8 pick (where we can reasonably expect to get Lance at least) then he screwed himself.  That's why I don't think he'll trade Sam until he's figured out the #2 situation first.

IMO if he puts a value on Sam that someone is willing to meet, he's made a judgment that those assets + taking Fields or Wilson is the way to go.  No doubt it will impact on how he values the #2 if he trades Sam since he now has to value Fields/Wilson vs. a Lance or a Jones + whatever else is being offered.  It likely drives up the price for the #2.

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

FWIW, nothing has changed. I don't think the Jets are going to rush and make a decision. I don't think he'll get traded, but as I've said, if a team gets bold and offers a 1st round pick I have a hard time believing they wouldn't strongly consider jumping on it.

I still think the most likely outcome will be a trade down from #2 to #8

Who would the Jets target at #8 you think? A QB like Trey Lance? A skill player like Smith, Chase, or Pitts? Sewell if he fell that far? Or trade back again from #8? 

I would imagine Saleh and especially Lafleur have been deep in the film room studying Darnold to see if they think he can make it work.

Jets have a lot of options, I hope they only pick a QB at #2 if they really really like the guy and not because they have convinced themselves they like the guy because we are moving on from darnold.

If they do not love the guys at the top of the draft they can still move on from darnold and sign a reclamation vet for a year and have a lot of ammo for a QB next year.

• Upvote 4

It all comes down to what trade offers JD gets for #2.  If we can get a boatload of picks, Sam is our man.  

If not, we take a QB off the board and that increases Sam’s value. 

I can see Colts giving up their 1st with a 4th going back, or sending us two 2’s. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Who would the Jets target at #8 you think? A QB like Trey Lance? A skill player like Smith, Chase, or Pitts? Sewell if he fell that far? Or trade back again from #8? 

(I know you’re not asking me)

If Lance falls to #8, I can see us dropping to #12 so SF can draft him, and we’d get another 1 (2022), and two 2’s.