"Multiple teams" have called on Darnold, per Schefter

mrcoops

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Usually I would too, but Pitts is not a TE. He's a transcendent talent. Guy can be a top 5 TE or WR. He's that gifted. May not even make it out of the top 5 tbh 

If he's smart, he'd plaster WR all over his social media. Jimmy Graham screwed himself back in the day. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

That isn't going to stop teams from calling.  We've both maintained for months that league belief in Sam is more substantial than fan belief and he will be sought after.  I also said a week ago that I believe they will trade him for a mid to late 1st, if they could get it:
image.thumb.png.30663c98ff37b426b08926158afb7f61.png

That's a big jump from the Colts offering a 2nd and a 5th to offering their no. 21.   The Colts didn't offer the 21 for Stafford so hard to see them doing that for Sammy.

Have you heard that?

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Not if Pitts is projected to be an elite TE in the NFL. He's been compared to Gronk. Trading back and getting him at #8 is far from a blowing brains type move.

I really, really like Pitts as a prospect.

Can you show me somewhere he’s been compared to Gronk? I don’t think they’re remotely similar.

My issue with Pitts is that there are several elite TE’s in the NFL, there are also several TE’s who were drafted with the expectation they would become elite TE’s in the NFL, and there is absolutely 0 overlap between those two groups.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, derp said:

Can you show me somewhere he’s been compared to Gronk? I don’t think they’re remotely similar.

My issue with Pitts is that there are several elite TE’s in the NFL, there are also several TE’s who were drafted with the expectation they would become elite TE’s in the NFL, and there is absolutely 0 overlap between those two groups.

Well said and surprisingly very true.

14 minutes ago, derp said:

They aren’t similar 

The best Pitts comparison I can think of is Darren Waller.

He’s essentially a 6’6 240 lb wideout.

I’d love to have Pitts but I agree that the vast majority of these 1st round TE’s over the years have never come close to living up to their billing.

If we make a trade down to #8 with Carolina my preference would probably be a guy like Rashawn Slater. Can play all 5 positions along the OL but has all-pro upside as a guard/center and he’s absolutely perfect for the outside zone scheme we’ll be running.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

If he runs 4.4 or lower maybe.

Otherwise there's no way he goes that high.

He ran a 4.70 at 239 lb with an overall SPARQ rating of 108.24 at a Nike recruiting camp when he was in high school. DK Metcalf ran a 4.72 at a Nike recruiting camp when he was in high school and went on to run a 4.33 at the combine. I'm not suggesting Pitts will run that fast, nor do I think it matters all that much, but he's going to run fast (4.5-4.6). 

He's a top 10 pick all the way. I admit that tweeners tend to fall a little bit down boards but not that far (see Isaiah Simmons), but if Vernon Davis can go 6 and TJ Hockenson can go 8, I think Pitts can go top 5. In many ways he's the perfect prospect in this day's NFL. He can do it all in the receiving game and showed improvement as a blocker in 2020. He's very willing and gives it a lot of effort. Has great character and work habits. He needs to get stronger, but he's only 20 years old and started to show that in 2020. Got on an eating/training regimen designed to add good weight and was successful having added 11 lbs. (up from 235 to 246). His frame isn't close to maxed out either, so wouldn't surprise me if he showed up at his pro day at a shredded 250-255. 

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, dcJet said:

That's a big jump from the Colts offering a 2nd and a 5th to offering their no. 21.   The Colts didn't offer the 21 for Stafford so hard to see them doing that for Sammy.

Have you heard that?

Well it’s tough.  I know there’s some conflicting information on whether or not the Colts did offer a 1st for Stafford.  Rapp, Pelissaro, and Peter King say that they did and wouldn’t budge beyond that, while Albert Breer is the lone guy, as far as I know, saying that they didn’t offer a 1st, so I guess it just goes on who you choose to believe.

As for whether or not I have heard anything about anyone offering a 1st round pick?  No.  I haven’t heard that...yet.  We’ll see how it plays out though!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, static14 said:

So it’s Wilson at 2 then? :) 

That’s who I would want too lol, but we’ll see.  Today the arrow leans towards Sam and King’s Ransom for 2OA, but if we’re talking about 1st round picks for Darnold that arrow is gonna teeter really fast, lmao.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Actually not so much.  #2 = 2,600

#21 = 800, #54 = 360

1st next year is probably around 500 and #2 next year is around 225

So all that combined gives you just under 1,900 points.

I honestly don't see any way the Colts can deal for #2 unless it includes a serious player but since Nelson obviously isn't going to be on that list, I'm not sure who might be worth it to the Jets to bridge the gap. 

Maybe their kicker? Although he might be a free agent?

The Colts are likely screwed. I just don’t think JD will value a QB at #2 as an upgrade to Darnold and he’ll relish the trade back opportunity.

55 minutes ago, football guy said:

He ran a 4.70 at 239 lb with an overall SPARQ rating of 108.24 at a Nike recruiting camp when he was in high school. DK Metcalf ran a 4.72 at a Nike recruiting camp when he was in high school and went on to run a 4.33 at the combine. I'm not suggesting Pitts will run that fast, nor do I think it matters all that much, but he's going to run fast (4.5-4.6). 

He's a top 10 pick all the way. I admit that tweeners tend to fall a little bit down boards but not that far (see Isaiah Simmons), but if Vernon Davis can go 6 and TJ Hockenson can go 8, I think Pitts can go top 5. In many ways he's the perfect prospect in this day's NFL. He can do it all in the receiving game and showed improvement as a blocker in 2020. He's very willing and gives it a lot of effort. Has great character and work habits. He needs to get stronger, but he's only 20 years old and started to show that in 2020. Got on an eating/training regimen designed to add good weight and was successful having added 11 lbs. (up from 235 to 246). His frame isn't close to maxed out either, so wouldn't surprise me if he showed up at his pro day at a shredded 250-255. 

I’d be pretty excited about Pitts but surprised that would be Joe Ds pick. Would assume he’d look at Slater who could play any position along the line next year and could be our RT of the future or the top CB or edge available (will prob have his pick of edges and at worst second choice of CB). 

you’d know better than me though 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

If he runs 4.4 or lower maybe.

Otherwise there's no way he goes that high.

Weight: 239. Projected 40 Time: 4.68. Projected Round (2021): Top-10. 1/30/21: Some team sources feel Pitts is the second-best player in the 2021 NFL Draft and the rarest prospect after Trevor Lawrence.Jan 30, 2021

I would honestly like to see the complete perspective of an NFL guy who has enough faith in Darnold to want us to build around him, or would trade a high pick for him. It seems to be the popular NFL talking point but I've never seen in depth analysis and reasoning behind investing in him other than "oh he's young" "he was a top prospect and pick" and "he had a bad coach". Barely anything about what he's put on the field thus far. 

I would understand this sentiment (albeit with some skepticism) if he had the athleticism, and arm strength of a guy like Allen, but with Darnold I just don't see it. He can't see the field well, his confidence falters easily, he has poor mechanics, poor pocket management, average mobility and just an above average arm. He does have those wow throws and moments at times out of the pocket, but in the current NFL almost everyone and their dog can pull off some sort of sandlot backyard football. 

I haven't seen, and the media hasn't given any legitimate reason why investing in him is a good idea. I feel like the hyping of him as some sort of diamond-in-the-rough and a babe in the woods who has been harmed by Gase is a cover-up because of his top pick pedigree and everyone in the media circle-jerking over him pre draft. Which they're afraid of being soooo wrong about. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Nobody who knows what they're talking about has compared him to Gronk. You are correct, they aren't similar. He's more like a rich man's Jimmy Graham.

This is totally fair. It's a weird position that has been poorly evaluated. The Ebrons and Howards of the world haven't panned out and guys like Gronk, Waller, and Kelce weren't premium picks.

But the fact that he's more like a massive WR (Jimmy Graham comp) than a true TE makes him a little easier.

9 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

Just for giggles....Let's say the Jets were able to trade Sam for a late first round pick giving us 3 first round picks this year.  Would you call the Jaguars and offer the three picks which lets face it if Myers wants Fields could get him with the second pick and then add other talent with the other picks while we move up one spot and get Lawrence....Its intriguing.  

Image result for that too much gif

14 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Nobody who knows what they're talking about has compared him to Gronk. You are correct, they aren't similar. He's more like a rich man's Jimmy Graham.

This is totally fair. It's a weird position that has been poorly evaluated. The Ebrons and Howards of the world haven't panned out and guys like Gronk, Waller, and Kelce weren't premium picks.

But the fact that he's more like a massive WR (Jimmy Graham comp) than a true TE makes him a little easier.

I like the rich man’s Jimmy Graham comparison and will likely be borrowing that one.

Position has been super weird as you said. You can put Kittle and Graham into the non premium bucket and guys like Hockenson and even Vernon Davis who went really high in the premium bucket.

Again, really like Pitts. I don’t know if there’s something wonky about the transition or what the deal is but it’s very strange the way highly drafted guys have been mostly okay - but not special - and then you get special dudes drafted in the third, fifth. Waller was a weird case as a gigantic WR who didn’t produce much or project to that position in college but Kelce and Kittle were absolutely TE’s all the way and honestly very popular prospects in message boards.

The good and bad about Pitts is I think he kind of worked his way to being adequate as a blocker but he’s not really there yet and the Shanahan offense seems to play off the run game and so that TE needs to block. Maybe it means he is a backup and a pass catcher early and they develop him but it’s a bit of a square peg round hole thing in addition to the track record of the position. 

I also am very much a fan of the scheme to your talents coaching methodology but it doesn’t seem the Jets will be going that route and I think as much as pass catching is more important than blocking as a TE I wonder if they’ll value it in that way.

Flip side is they need a target monster and Pitts could certainly be that dude if he works out. And maybe that mitigates the blocking a little.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, football guy said:

I think Pitts or another trade

Don’t play with me emotions. Not now. Not with him. 

4 hours ago, football guy said:

Usually I would too, but Pitts is not a TE. He's a transcendent talent. Guy can be a top 5 TE or WR. He's that gifted. May not even make it out of the top 5 tbh 

Disagree. I know it’s a popular take right now to call him WR1 but you’d be squandering what makes him special. He’s a TE, and should stay that way. He’s a great receiving prospect - but an elite TE prospect. He can model his game after Hernandez and surpass his impact ala Jimmy Graham down the road 

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I blame GMs for putting blinders on. Howard’s tape at Alabama wasn’t great. They fell in love with the idea of him. Not the truth. Ebron was just combine hero. His UNC tape showed lots of evidence of bad hands and inconsistent separation. He’s an athlete playing the position imo

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I blame GMs for putting blinders on. Howard’s tape at Alabama wasn’t great. They fell in love with the idea of him. Not the truth. Ebron was just combine hero. His UNC tape showed lots of evidence of bad hands and inconsistent separation. He’s an athlete playing the position imo

This is all true.

• Upvote 1