When was the last time we had a truly game breaking RB?

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Never in my lifetime. Curtis M wasn't a game breaker he was a solid and steady 3-4 yards, but he wasn't the guy to take over a game with multiple long runs for 20, 30, 40+ yards.

Curtis Martin took over games in other ways. He couldn't be stopped. 3-4 yards x 3 usually gave you a first down. The Jets would pound the ball with him. He was a game breaker in that regard. Teams had to gameplan against him. A lot of it was that stellar O-line, I know. But still. I would consider Martin a gamebreaker in the sense that when he had it going, he changed the game completely.  

12 minutes ago, addage said:

Isn't the better question:  when was the last time we had a good OL?  There are a lot of RBs who will excel if the holes are there.  Even Levion!

100%. 

I love N.Harris but unless the Jets complete their revamp of the O-line and address other needs in FA (WR, Edge, CB), it doesn't make sense to use Seattles 1st or Jets 2nd on Harris. Thats assuming he will still be available.

If we are looking for a 'gamebreaker' at RB I would target Gainwell from Memphis with our 3rd round pick. I also really like Kylin Hill out of Miss State, I just absolutely love the way he runs. He should be available a little later, allowing us to address bigger needs with our premium picks.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

Washington? Martin? McNeil? I know the game has changed and it's mostly RBBC these days. But it sure would be nice to have a stud RB like a Dalvin Cook or an Alvin Kamara, take away Henry from Tennessee and that team doesn't scare anyone at all. I hear the build the OL first crowd but I've been hearing that noise for years now and no RB. We couldve had Cook or Kamara both but we took a strong safety instead in 17.

I dont want to pay a FA type and I know you can find a RB under a rock but it seems we never do. I'm hoping we can land one this year no later than the 3rd round. My guy is Najee Harris all the way, I think it would make Sunday afternoons more fun to watch with a real stud RB for once, Leveon left such a bad taste, what a disappointment he was!

Freeman

4 hours ago, Slikmojet! said:

The kid from FL we drafted last year, he's another Eli McGwire. Not special in any respect and no upside. He's a fringe guy. That's the RB under a rock that we always get. We never get the undrafted Priest Holmes types, or the Terrell Davis types that go in the 6th round. Leon was a 4th rounder but be was frail, so was Bilal.

Think about it, Bilal Powell was the last significant RB drafted by the Jets, he was drafted in 2011. 

I disagree. I am a fan of Perine. As we witnessed with many players under Gase, Perine was given limited opportunity to succeed. No chance to get into a rythem. No Chance to highlight what he does. I saw a stat that said something like 80% of the time he was on the field he got the ball. So the D basically assumes thats why he came in and keys on him. Then he runs him right up the A Gap a Voila !!  Gase is a complete moron and I'm looking forward to what Perine can do in an actual NFL offense. 

I don't see him like your example Priest Holmes or anything like that, but he is a good back who likes to do the dirty work. I see him being on the squad for a number of years and becoming that mid rung fan favorite RB that we all tend to fall for.   Give him a shot Slikmo! 

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

Curtis Martin took over games in other ways. He couldn't be stopped. 3-4 yards x 3 usually gave you a first down. The Jets would pound the ball with him. He was a game breaker in that regard. Teams had to gameplan against him. A lot of it was that stellar O-line, I know. But still. I would consider Martin a gamebreaker in the sense that when he had it going, he changed the game completely.  

Yep he sure changed the AFCCG completely..:chas:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bungaman said:

I like Hill better than Gainwell - seems like Hill has better change of direction despite (I think) being a bigger back.

Gainwell is listed as 5'11, 191. Hill is listed as 5'10, 214. So theres about a 20lb difference in weight. And yeah, I love the change of direction with Hill. But Gainwell is a great receiver and has great speed for a guy who can still run with power. Would love to have either one of them with Perine and Ty. 

Based on the term "game breaking" I'm thinking elite speed/playmaking guys which I frankly don't know if we've ever had since I've followed the team. 

Curtis Martin was a HOF back, but he was more about great consistency and slashing/cutback ability (he'd thrive in this 'Shanahan offense' for sure.)

Thomas Jones was a quality back. Ladanian Tomlinson could still play at a high level. Leon Washington had speed but was a smaller change of pace guy. Chris Ivory was the last legitimately "good" back we had who was a "value add" guy.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I disagree. I am a fan of Perine. As we witnessed with many players under Gase, Perine was given limited opportunity to succeed. No chance to get into a rythem. No Chance to highlight what he does. I saw a stat that said something like 80% of the time he was on the field he got the ball. So the D basically assumes thats why he came in and keys on him. Then he runs him right up the A Gap a Voila !!  Gase is a complete moron and I'm looking forward to what Perine can do in an actual NFL offense. 

I don't see him like your example Priest Holmes or anything like that, but he is a good back who likes to do the dirty work. I see him being on the squad for a number of years and becoming that mid rung fan favorite RB that we all tend to fall for.   Give him a shot Slikmo! 

I give them all a chance GreenBean, but I want that real stud back. I dont want a nice back I want a beast back. 

If things truly go right with the new coaching staff you shouldn't see one. It will be hardcore RBBC plug and play with mid round picks as long as Lafluer is here. 

Little hint. Look for a Mid Round RB in this years draft that runs a 4.3 that could run outside. Thats usually who they love in this thing. 

On 2/7/2021 at 11:57 PM, Slikmojet! said:

I give them all a chance GreenBean, but I want that real stud back. I dont want a nice back I want a beast back. 

Oh I hear ya.  Believe me.   I have half a mind to start a petition for the Jets to draft Najee Harris in the first lol 

But I think they will more than likely grab another mid rd back (it's a good year to do so) and see what the stable of Perine, Adams, Ty Johnson and the rookie can do. If we get Gainwell or Sermon in the 3rd-4th I would be ecstatic. They have the potential to become that guy you're craving. That said, I don't see JD taking a premier RB in the first 3 rds most likely. 

We will like Perine more this year. I'm almost certain of it. 

On 2/7/2021 at 5:34 AM, predator_05 said:

I liked Thomas jones

Ok, A 12 year old could have had 1000 yards behind that offensive line. But he was pretty good and had the numbers to justify ground n pound

Was about to say Thomas Jones...its seems forever ago. I can't remember  if it was the line or him but does it matter?

I mean Elliot had a great line and be was dominant.  

I liked when we ran the ball all over the place. Who we had since then? Sure couple  guys who has decent games but not dominant