How many players will Joe Douglas get through FA??

NYJ1

If I know Joe Douglas correctly, (and I think I do) he will NOT be spending the Jets cap space like a drunken sailor? This won't be like watching Mac in 2015.

I figure he could get as many as 5 players through FA, but most will be in the second and third tier FA. More or less role players relegated as backup players and helping out on ST. I could see him getting probably two starting players in FA and rolling a lot of free cap space into future years? 

What do you think?

51 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

If I know Joe Douglas correctly, (and I think I do) he will NOT be spending the Jets cap space like a drunken sailor? This won't be like watching Mac in 2015.

I figure he could get as many as 5 players through FA, but most will be in the second and third tier FA. More or less role players relegated as backup players and helping out on ST. I could see him getting probably two starting players in FA and rolling a lot of free cap space into future years? 

What do you think?

We will cut some players (Anderson and others) and gain cap space. Hopefully we can get at least 5 starters (EDGE, G, DB, FB and WR).

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

imo you can only hope for one really good Fa and then some fill hole mediocre guys.

So if we can get one of the high end guards or or a pass rusher or a WR .

We are not getting a top guard and Wr and pass rusher.

I agree and I think that sort of approach fits Joe Douglas's M.O.. He wants to use the draft primarily taking his time building this team? He wants to have money in future years so he can sign that one last FA that puts the Jets team over the top and makes them SB favorites. We'll know a lot about whether JD can do that or not after this season. If he's as talented at drafting as we think he is, he'll come out of this draft with at least another 4 starters.

• Sympathy 1

I agree and I think that sort of approach fits Joe Douglas's M.O.. He wants to use the draft primarily taking his time building this team? He wants to have money in future years so he can sign that one last FA that puts the Jets team over the top and makes them SB favorites. We'll know a lot about whether JD can do that or not after this season. If he's as talented at drafting as we think he is, he'll come out of this draft with at least another 4 starters.
This is a patient and reasonable approach but you know Jets fans are impatient and needy....rightfully earned IMO

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

What do you think?

I think the bigger question is how many top free agents he’ll sign. My guess is two.

My guess is he’ll go after Thuney big time.  After that receivers like Samuels and/or Bourne.  There are a few mid-level edge guys that he will go after and supplement that with the draft.  There are no CB worth giving money to unless he can snag Lattimore from the Saints.  I’m expecting Douglas to draft two corners including one if rounds 1 or 2.

I’m fine with not throwing stupid money after guys but he needs to stop with the one year prove it deals.  He needs to make a commitment so we’re not turning over the whole team again in 2022.

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

What do you think?

We haven’t had a good season in a decade besides 2015 when mac went all in. Just saying 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

imo you can only hope for one really good Fa and then some fill hole mediocre guys.

So if we can get one of the high end guards or or a pass rusher or a WR .

We are not getting a top guard and Wr and pass rusher.

Normally yes, but this is a strange year.  Roughly half the teams in the league will not be able to afford a single high-level FA and many of those will actually have to trade or cut some good players.  This means supply will be far ahead of demand relative to other years.  And we happen to have a lot of cap room to spend, making us one of maybe 10 teams that can really be aggressive.

So it wouldn't shock me to see us land two FAs in the $10M/year+ salary range.  Franchise tags will rob us of a few options but there should be enough out there to land us two.  No way to predict it until after the tags happen, but I don't see any way JD can *not* be aggressive in FA as there is really no other way he can even get near to the cap without it.

I think people forget that last year was the perfect year to dump for the Jets. Mosley opted out. Gase clearly would be on hot seat. Had to get rid of bad contracts. 

This year I think he will be more aggressive. Now starts the building up phase. He will want to go after guys to fit the SF system and get weapons for QB. This coincides perfectly with our cap space and other teams  not having much. Im thinking we may get like 4-5 starters in FA. 

7 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

He will scrape the bottom of the barrel persuing value over actual good players like he has been doing. Jetnation forum posters will sleep well at night, knowing that even though we arent winning, we won value for woody johnsons money.

tumblr_meh1l2nTp91rlnr3eo1_250.gif

12 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

He will scrape the bottom of the barrel persuing value over actual good players like he has been doing. Jetnation forum posters will sleep well at night, knowing that even though we arent winning, we won value for woody johnsons money.

Who are the non bottom barrel players you expect to become available? 

The best value lies in middle of the road or slightly better than middle of the road guys.  Mid-range on contract $$$ being the point.  The splashy signings never seem to work out for us.  You can start with Neil O'Donnell and his pair of bookend tackles but there have been many ,any more since then.

Gimme O-Line depth, secondary help and a RB with some tread left on his tires for cheap.

We can look to the draft for Edge and premium WR help.

12 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I'm really hoping last year was a Clean House kinda year - and that's not the true JD.  

But from everything we've seen so far you're 100% correct.  If he holds true to form we'll get exactly- what you posted - "value"....And yes, the team will stink but JN will love JD for being "smart"

Two starters?  Flacco, Gore, Perriman, Brown, Eiflen, Andrews, both Smiths, Maye, Poole, Maulet, McDougald, Jenkins, Basham, Hager, Onwuasor, Hewitt, Farley, Luvu, Langi are all free agents.  You think he is replacing them all through the draft?  This is a team that started Bell, Chris Hogan, McClendon, and Pierre Desir in the opener.  If they don't add more than 5 free agents, they won't be able to field a roster.  They may not be big ticket items, but they will be adding a ton of bodies.  The guys throwing around low numbers here probably aren't even covering the numbers of starters/roster players they will get from UDFA after the draft.

Looking at the following high $$$ players:

Thuney (NE) G
Samuel (CAR) WR
Okwara (DET) DE

Then a couple of lower $$$ players:

Bourne (SF) WR
Witherspoon (SF) CB

Also keep an eye on Griffin (SEA) CB, he would be familiar with the defensive scheme

What FA have we ever signed that actually made a big difference?  Alan Faneca?

Also re Robinson....but but but I thought the moment a team got watson he would flock to that team, take less money and term and be happy to be on a team that won 2 games or 4 games the year before.

This is the order of things re FA:

Money and Term

If that is close then a team poised to win

2nd lastly a chance to play with a specific player.

Lastly the Jets who you use to pump up your value bit never intend to go there unless you are taking advantage of their early retirement contracts.