Rich Cimini vs Conner Hughes on if the Jets will draft a QB

Jetsbb

7 hours ago, football guy said:

You know what @Pac I'll take it a step further. What do you want me to ask? 

Delete your link.. have you seen the element that posts on this board?

I need to know the date by which the Darnold decision will be made.  I've always surmised at the start of FA.

2 minutes ago, Wit said:

You are getting no credit for having been saying this for weeks and weeks. I still think if he’s sits out a year and Darnold sucks the Jets are in good position to trade for him next year if they trade down and get some extra picks next year. 

I think this is the Jets angle. Darnold is a player they feel good about and gives them built-in flexibility. If you draft a QB you have no flexibility; that's your guy. If Watson becomes available, trade is off the table for a few reasons, main one being that you just sunk $20+ million in signing the rookie QB. If Houston isn't crazy about that QB, then what? 

They can trade down from #2, acquire more future draft capital as well as build up the foundation this year. If Watson becomes available, the Jets are easily the team best equipped to trade for him. If he doesn't, you see how Darnold works with an improved roster/new coaching staff. If he swins, great. If he sinks, you have options.

• Upvote 3

If your opinions suck then you deserve to get bashed for them. When I'm told things directly from people who work in the front office, go out of my way to share it on here and get bashed for it, then continue try to defend myself by sharing more detail than I should whether it be screenshots or sharing my sources with a mod, watch the things that I've repeatedly been told unfold publicly despite it going against the "popular narrative" yet still get accused of sharing obvious info, yes it's irritating. I'm not sharing for "cred". I just want to talk Jets. And I want to talk realistic things Jets, not sensationalist fantasies. 
My opinions are separate from sourcework. No problem if people want to attack my opinions, but I don't appreciate when people discredit when I share actual info just because it doesn't fit their worldview. Grow up

Would you agree with the following: as of now, the Jets are happy to run with Darnold in 2021, but that is subject to change after they dive further into the QB prospects?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think this is the Jets angle. Darnold is a player they feel good about and gives them built-in flexibility. If you draft a QB you have no flexibility; that's your guy. If Watson becomes available, trade is off the table for a few reasons, main one being that you just sunk $20+ million in signing the rookie QB. If Houston isn't crazy about that QB, then what? 

They can trade down from #2, acquire more future draft capital as well as build up the foundation this year. If Watson becomes available, the Jets are easily the team best equipped to trade for him. If he doesn't, you see how Darnold works with an improved roster/new coaching staff. If he swins, great. If he sinks, you have options.

You should never insult anyone on this forum again, posting you’re alleged personal information on a New York Jets message board??????????????????????

?

10 hours ago, Wit said:

It’s also the logical choice. Build a team around a QB, if it doesn’t work out draft one next year or trade for one. 

It's pretty much the 3rd best option to me. The other two QBs will be immediately better than Sam next year and I've always liked Sam. You have to watch the film and see when he had so much time to throw he just didn't see the field well. Why would you try and fix that when you can get Watson or Wilson who are shown on film to do it much better. Just my take. Also, we're in position now to upgrade the most important position. Next year we'll have to give a lot more assets to move up and draft one and be behind on the rebuild. Why not use the assets now for a QB that will be better than anyone we draft and sign Watson. Otherwise, just pick Wilson and use a ton of picks to build around him.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, football guy said:

You don't even have the balls to tag me when talking about me, yet I'm thin skinned for defending myself? 

Stop being a child

He replied to your post. Why would he also need to tag you.

Why are you even getting snotty to him? He applauded you, but to him your scooos were obvious. He didn’t say they were fake. Just obvious, because he’s a know-it-all.

I’d hate to see how you respond to someone that actually criticizes you. Sheesh.

52 minutes ago, JiF said:

For real, I dont get this love for Connor, seems like a total goober who doesnt know his ass from his elbow.  I guess he's "informed" but his takes are stupid and often way off and I question if even watches the games.

Connor sucks. He was only slightly tolerable because he’s not Manish, but his content is equally trash.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

let's play the what if game

what if 23 year old Sam Darnold gets traded to a team who finds great success with Sam Darnold? 

it reflects poorly on JD for giving up too soon on Darnold. 

What if Deshaun Watson costs too much and the team still sucks? 

it reflects poorly on JD for getting fleeced and other free agent/draft moves get scrutinized

what if the Jets draft Zach Wilson and he spends his life on Injured reserve? 

it reflects poorly on JD for overdrafting a mid-major dude who never played anyone real 

what if the Jets draft Justin Fields and he isn't instant good? 

it reflects poorly on JD for planting his flag on a QB who needs time to develop

but what if the Jets stick with Sam Darnold for another year and gosh darn it, what do you know, it just didn't work out and maybe James Morgan gets to play or whatever

it reflects poorly on Mac for overdrafting Darnold and gives JD a chance to "monetize" a so called "wasted" 4th round pick, maybe find a vet somewhere who can spot start like Nick Mullins  

Keeping Sam Darnold besides being the cheapest option in absolute terms, buys JD and Saleh a "free year" 

it's house money

eventually they will have to make a big call at QB and yes that's always risky but to do it in year 2 of JD and year 1 of Saleh pushes the timetable forward for when these dudes can be fired for when it all goes badly 

it's easier to blame Gase and Mac guys who are already gone and not make a big move at all 

Again, how did sitting around forever instead of doing something that might not work out go for Mangini, Tannenbaum, Idzik, Maccagnan, Bowles? The only guy who actually did get staked to a quarterback year 1, Rex, lasted as long as any of them. Even as a job retention strategy as opposed to a football strategy this sucks.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

let's play the what if game

what if 23 year old Sam Darnold gets traded to a team who finds great success with Sam Darnold? 

it reflects poorly on JD for giving up too soon on Darnold. 

What if Deshaun Watson costs too much and the team still sucks? 

it reflects poorly on JD for getting fleeced and other free agent/draft moves get scrutinized

what if the Jets draft Zach Wilson and he spends his life on Injured reserve? 

it reflects poorly on JD for overdrafting a mid-major dude who never played anyone real 

what if the Jets draft Justin Fields and he isn't instant good? 

it reflects poorly on JD for planting his flag on a QB who needs time to develop

but what if the Jets stick with Sam Darnold for another year and gosh darn it, what do you know, it just didn't work out and maybe James Morgan gets to play or whatever

it reflects poorly on Mac for overdrafting Darnold and gives JD a chance to "monetize" a so called "wasted" 4th round pick, maybe find a vet somewhere who can spot start like Nick Mullins  

Keeping Sam Darnold besides being the cheapest option in absolute terms, buys JD and Saleh a "free year" 

it's house money

eventually they will have to make a big call at QB and yes that's always risky but to do it in year 2 of JD and year 1 of Saleh pushes the timetable forward for when these dudes can be fired for when it all goes badly 

it's easier to blame Gase and Mac guys who are already gone and not make a big move at all 

Very reasonable take on all of this.  The first step is for the COWs to recognize that Wilson is not a 100% stone-cold lock to be a Hall of Famer because he made some pretty throws in a weak conference.  He might be, but it's as much of a gamble as these things always are.  In the absence of a sure thing, we need to hope that the people making the decisions are doing it as best they can, and a lot better than the last two GMs would have.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Pac said:

You have to be without a doubt the thinnest-skinned poster I have ever seen on these forums.

I said I have no doubt you have a source and that I enjoy you bashing the haters but because I don't curtsy for you I need to "grow up".  Get lost kid.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's true. You suck. 

sweet child o mine GIF by Guns N' Roses

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

He replied to your post. Why would he also need to tag you.

Why are you even getting snotty to him? He applauded you, but to him your scooos were obvious. He didn’t say they were fake. Just obvious, because he’s a know-it-all.

I’d hate to see how you respond to someone that actually criticizes you. Sheesh.

Great Ape Zoo GIF

3 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Again, how did sitting around forever instead of doing something that might not work out go for Mangini, Tannenbaum, Idzik, Maccagnan, Bowles? The only guy who actually did get staked to a quarterback year 1, Rex, lasted as long as any of them. Even as a job retention strategy as opposed to a football strategy this sucks.

"Tann-gini" imported Brett Favre - in terms of big moves to make they don't come bigger than that

each situation is different  - this 2021 roster, except for like 2 guys, Becton and QW, the talent level is depleted

they aren't one big move away from being a contender they are like a dozen regular moves away from being a basic competitive team. 

and then they can make the big move

this isn't what i want by the way it's a prediction 

if it was up to me and all the other Jets fans the team would be better 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Delete your link.. have you seen the element that posts on this board?

I need to know the date by which the Darnold decision will be made.  I've always surmised at the start of FA.

Well first off I've been pretty consistent in that the Jets will keep Sam, so if you're asking when there will be a declarative "he's our QB", there won't be one. I don't even think they'll make that statement after the draft. There is no date, there has never been a date, and unless they're entirely departing from their plan, they most certainly won't trade him by the start of FA. I think Marcus Mariota finds a new home before there's any "clarity" on Sam Darnold's future, and I know fans will be critical of that because in their mind the Jets should take advantage while teams still have a need, but unless someone makes an offer they can't refuse I have no reason to believe he'll be traded anytime soon. Everything I've heard and everything I've posted is that the FO feels like Sam Darnold will be back. I'm sorry that disturbs people; I'm sorry that people are in denial. I can't control that. All I know is that I have no agenda. I can rationalize it and provide my own spin, but I'm working off of what I'm being told not necessarily what I want

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

You should never insult anyone on this forum again, posting you’re alleged personal information on a New York Jets message board??????????????????????

?

What can I say, you're a deranged conspiracy theorist and I'm tired of you and your miserable self casting doubt on anything and everything I write

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

@football guy lighten up, it’s a football board - surely a football guy would understand how to roll with friendly ball busting and ignore the rest

Trust me I bark a lot. There's plenty I've engaged in spats with on here who we now DM and get along. I don't hold grudges unless it's a conspiracy theorist like @oatmeal

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

They did nothing for three full offseasons and then made a panic move that got one of them fired and the other Sanchezed. This does not help your case at all.

exactly - the time to make the panic move at the end of the tenure not in year 2 if you're JD 

the problem here is how we define success. You're probably defining it by wins and losses, heck probably super bowls or whatever (hah)

these guys all get fired. That's the reality. there is 31 losers every year 1 winner and all these guys get fired. Andy Reid got fired.  

as long as JD and Saleh are employed and drawing checks, that's their success. If they can make it to their second contract they will each do what no Jets GM/HC has done for like a decade or more 

they don't have to win to be successful they can slowly build on rock bottom, find success in year 4 or 5, earn a second deal before that rookie is fully developed etc. 

it's not about winning the super bowl, not right away. It's about building a program from ashes. if that means they get another high pick in 2022, I don't think JD or Saleh will cry about it or get fired for what is essentially still Gase/Mac/Idzik mess. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Would you agree with the following: as of now, the Jets are happy to run with Darnold in 2021, but that is subject to change after they dive further into the QB prospects?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a hard time believing that the Jets FO doesn't already know the answer to this. I guess maybe this year is a little different because they haven't gotten as much face-time with the players. Usually scouts/execs can attend practices, are at live games, and have plenty of data to go off of. In a traditional offseason, the rest is more cross-referencing and character checks, but my guess is Douglas had a grade on Wilson dating back to December. With that, they must already know by now if they think Wilson is head-and-shoulders above Darnold. I think they're spending more time evaluating Darnold then they are Wilson, while giving the coaches a chance to evaluate both. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I've put my name and even odds on this, as well as state a specific team/compensation I expect the Jets to get in return for #2. Don't lump me into this category. 

I would never do such a thing!  I hold you only in the highest regard.  

32 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Connor sucks. He was only slightly tolerable because he’s not Manish, but his content is equally trash.

Yep, when Manish was just pooping out the mouth, it propped Connor up as looking respectable. Remove the Manish nonsense and Connor is just a clueless moron.  He's not an obnoxious douche like Manish but he's clueless and I really dont think he watches Football.