LaCanfora: Kyle Shanahan "very high" on Darnold

https://sny.tv/articles/49ers-hc-kyle-shanahan-is-very-high-on-jets-sam-darnold-report

San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan is reportedly "very high" on Jets QB Sam Darnold, according to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora.

ESPN's Adam Schefter had reported earlier on Super Bowl Sunday that multiple teams have reached out to the Jets about a trade for Darnold.

The Jets have yet to make a final decision on their quarterback plans for the 2021 season, per SNY NFL insider Ralph Vacchiano.

Jimmy Garoppolo played in only six games during the 2020 season for the Niners, throwing for 1,096 yards and seven touchdowns before injuries shut his season down. The team then turned to Nick Mullens, who started eight games and played in ten. He threw for 2,437 yards and 12 touchdowns, going 2-6 as the starter.

Last season, Darnold threw for 2,208 yards in 12 games with nine touchdowns and 11 interceptions, as the Jets went 2-14. Overall, he’s thrown for 45 touchdowns to 39 interceptions with a 59.8 completion percentage in three years.

• Upvote 2

They were in the Stafford sweepstakes, I believe they offered two 2nds and a conditional pick. 

Theyre definitely in the market, and darnold would probably be comfortable back home in California, wouldn't take much convincing. 

I doubt they'll overpay though. Both Douglas and the 49ers are gonna wait it out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The obvious #1 decision for Douglas in the upcoming 30 days - assuming there's no actual trade market for Watson (nor for Wilson) - is what to do with Darnold this season.

Keeping him, in effect, means trading away the 1st round pick (maybe a little more, maybe a little less) they'd be turning down, in exchange for Darnold's 2021 season plus first dibs on negotiating an extension beyond that, if so desired.

The Super Bowl was great for the Jets in terms of Darnold's trade value. That many more other teams willing to excuse his poor play.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The obvious #1 decision for Douglas in the upcoming 30 days - assuming there's no actual trade market for Watson (nor for Wilson) - is what to do with Darnold this season.

Keeping him, in effect, means trading away the 1st round pick (maybe a little more, maybe a little less) they'd be turning down, in exchange for Darnold's 2021 season plus first dibs on negotiating an extension beyond that, if so desired.

The Super Bowl was great for the Jets in terms of Darnold's trade value. That many more other teams willing to excuse his poor play.

While your "opportunity cost" logic is spot on, I simply do not believe anyone is going to give the NY Jets a #1 pick for one guaranteed years worth of Sam Darnold.

Jets Fans (and not you per se Sperm) who think we will need to reconcile that belief with how badly they want Sam gone and ask themselves why some other, better, coach or franchise would be so diametrically opposed to their own view on Sam, enough to give a #1 pick for a guy they themselves would nearly want to cut compensation free if it came down to it.

JD would be a miracle worker to get a #1 pick for Sam.  I'll believe it when I see it.  I think the max we get back is a late 2nd, maybe a 3rd.  At best.

• Upvote 2

I so want to believe Darnold can be successful with the Jets, but I really feel like the thing that is holding him back is desire. The kid doesn't want it bad enough. In fact, I am not sure if he wants it at all.  If he had 50% of Brady's desire and work ethic he'd be successful, but I fear that being the cool kid, grandson of Dick Hammer, millionaire NFL QB just chill'n in Cali is all he wants out of this.... and he already has that.

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I so want to believe Darnold can be successful with the Jets, but I really feel like the thing that is holding him back is desire. The kid doesn't want it bad enough. In fact, I am not sure if he wants it at all.  If he had 50% of Brady's desire and work ethic he'd be successful, but I fear that being the cool kid, grandson of Dick Hammer, millionaire NFL QB just chill'n in Cali is all he wants out of this.... and he already has that.

I disagree. I don’t think its lack of drive.

I think its simply lack of mechanics and the bigger and biggest issue is, lack of ability to see the field and read defenses.

That mental processing part, you either have it or you dont. Time to move in from Sam. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Dear Coach Shanahan,  

I wholeheartedly concur with your insightful appraisal of our wonderful sweetie/QB juggernaut, Sam Darnold.   I have always appreciated your general intellect and football acumen.  But now?   Evaluating Sam's enthralling positional skills with such grace and facility?  You have truly shown yourself to be a consummate master of complex analysis which so few in the history of our species has ever achieved.

Congratulations on your enormous wisdom.  Although it will make me personally distraught to see young Sam depart our storied franchise, may I ask when you intend to trade for our wunderkind?  And if it helps your decision or the trade process, I am available to assist with organizing his possessions and the actual moving of Sam's belongings out to the West Coast.  Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Cheers and continued success in all your NFL and personal endeavors.

Yours sincerely,

Munchie

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

While your "opportunity cost" logic is spot on, I simply do not believe anyone is going to give the NY Jets a #1 pick for one guaranteed years worth of Sam Darnold.

Jets Fans (and not you per se Sperm) who think we will need to reconcile that belief with how badly they want Sam gone and ask themselves why some other, better, coach or franchise would be so diametrically opposed to their own view on Sam, enough to give a #1 pick for a guy they themselves would nearly want to cut compensation free if it came down to it.

JD would be a miracle worker to get a #1 pick for Sam.  I'll believe it when I see it.  I think the max we get back is a late 2nd, maybe a 3rd.  At best.

I'm going by numerous leaks, not my personal opinion.

Regardless, I did say a 1st rounder give or take. I've seen teams give up 1st round picks & more for the likes of Rob Johnson & Rick Mirer (and Steve Walsh, which was as instrumental to Dallas' 90s success as the Herschel Walker trade). Also Bradford, despite a $13MM pricetag (huge back then) for his one remaining contract year. I think the Jets already have offers for more than your optimistic prediction of a lone late 2nd rounder, and haven't yet taken it.

Put it this way: what was the most you thought they could get for Adams, who was sounding off on social media because he wanted/needed a contract extension right now (same amount of time remaining on his rookie contract)? Yes he'd enjoyed more success than Darnold, but he was just a safety. 

Teams are contacting the Jets not him cold-calling a dozen or more other GMs. It's not JD's miracle work. It's that teams will see what they want to see when it comes to expending resources on what-might-be at QB. And yes, the SB probably raised Darnold's trade value if anything.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I just hope the Jets' new coaching staff is working at least full time watching every regular season pass dropback Darnold's taken, both good and bad. There are 1300 of them; that's not too much to ask. Plus they should meet with Gase (and Loggains, too, if he's willing), since they've already analyzed everything that worked & didn't work & why for the past 2 seasons.

Since the team gave him the honor of finishing the season, he probably still has at least an amicable relationship with Douglas and/or CJ, it seems unlikely Gase would be unwilling to impart his own feelings on and experiences with the QB, with specifics:

• things that were said from time to time on the sideline between QB and coach(es); especially if they may not jump off the screen watching footage.
  • if/why certain playcalls (and gameplans in general) were made to accommodate an issue Darnold may have been having, instead of just lazily calling every such failed example a dumb play call, and nothing more.

Gase deserved to get fired and never should have been hired in the first place. That said, being the unfit team leader and decision-maker doesn't therefore mean he doesn't understand this stuff on paper. He certainly wasn't over-promoted just due to familial nepotism, nor by riding on his reputation of being a former great/smart NFL player.

Presumably the new staff can (and hopefully does) say they'd have handled things differently, and yes understand they're only hearing the coach's side and not the player's rebuttal. That doesn't mean don't at least listen to what he has to say about things he did try & but Darnold and/or other players couldn't handle/grasp, instead of just presuming Gase didn't have the mental capacity to pick the good plays instead of the bad plays.

So we need to ask our ex HC who under his tutelage  Darnold just went 2-14, where Darnold looked lost more times than not, made a number of stupid throws and mistakes repeatedly. This is who we need to turn to?

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The QB's that will be late 1st round picks are about as big a risk as Darnold bouncing back. It's  not crazy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:
The team then turned to Nick Mullens, who started eight games and played in ten. He threw for 2,437 yards and 12 touchdowns, going 2-6 as the starter.

Last season, Darnold threw for 2,208 yards in 12 games with nine touchdowns and 11 interceptions, as the Jets went 2-14

My favorite part of this article is that Nick Mullens played 100 times better than Darnold, but Shanahan is going to give up premium picks for the more expensive and exponentially less productive player

• Upvote 2

If he loves him that much then give us the #12 pick.

It is rather alarming that some of the better run and coached organizations are the ones reportedly interested/reaching out about Sam in the 49ers, Colts, etc. Makes you wonder if the kid can actually wind up being a good QB

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So we need to ask our ex HC who under his tutelage  Darnold just went 2-14, where Darnold looked lost more times than not, made a number of stupid throws and mistakes repeatedly. This is who we need to turn to?

Just a minor point of order.  Darnold didn't go 2-14.  The Jets did.  Darnold went 2-10.

• Haha 1

In fairness, that's sort of exactly what happened with Jamal Adams.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think its simply lack of mechanics and the bigger and biggest issue is, lack of ability to see the field and read defenses.

That mental processing part, you either have it or you dont. Time to move in from Sam. 

This is exactly why you go with Watson or Wilson. They both have shown on film that they can process the information on the field quickly and it's natural to them.

• Upvote 1

The thought of going forward with Darnold from a business standpoint is a huge gamble and for that reason, will not happen. I personally like Darnold and I think he has all he needs to be a successful  NFL QB but Darnold represents the abyss for JD and right now he is staring into it. It would be much easier and safer for JD just to draft Fields or Wilson and move on from Darnold, and if JD can get another 1st for him, it just makes that choice that much more attractive to him. Darnold represents a Jets failure. It isn't  Darnolds fault this happened, he was put on a team with bottom tier talent and bad leadership and told to go out there and compete with the likes of Mahomes, Brady, Roger's, and Brees. What happened to Darnold was an organizational failure with a good dose of bad luck. It didn't help that Darnold was far from a competent  QB himself. 

I just can't see this decision to keep Darnold because it doesn't offer enough upside. The upside is trading down from 2 for some added picks or taking someone like Sewell or Smith (Smith is my preference) instead of selecting a QB which everyone would be on board with because from everything we see so far in the CS, there is a good chance the new QB will not get Darnolded. 

• Upvote 1

SF gave up a 2nd rounder for Garrapolo after like, 4 games and an injury.

They then let him play several more games before handing him a 20+ million a year contract.

30 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yes you'd seek input from anyone who's been around him that much. Absolutely do that before turning down as much as a 1st round pick for the player. That is part of the assessment if they're smart. I'd seek input from anyone who's worked with him, even if I have a low regard for any as coaches. 

From there they can take some of his points to heart and disregard others as they see fit; it's not hard to spot when someone's in self defense/preservation mode. As of now he knows more about Darnold than anyone on the current coaching staff, and they need to make a decision on Darnold before they'll have a chance to hold so much a single practice with him. 

Or I guess they can just ask Darnold what he sucks at while teams are calling the Jets to ask about his availability. I'm sure he'll answer purely with the Jets' best interests in mind.

Or we can bypass any valuable input we might get from him because you think it's smarter to be snarky about Gase being a lousy HC we never should have hired in the first place.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I just hope the Jets' new coaching staff is working at least full time watching every regular season pass dropback Darnold's taken, both good and bad.

Doubt it....my sources tell me that the new coaching staff is focusing all of their analysis and scouting efforts on monitoring various football message boards.

It's the new analytics....

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The thought of going forward with Darnold from a business standpoint is a huge gamble and for that reason, will not happen.

what's the downside of going forward with Darnold

they lose more games? that doesn't hurt business

they sell out every season, they are going to be extra sold out even if the team is terrible due to pent up demand

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Even as more of a pro Sam guy, I think this is 100% fair.  I'm just not smart enough to know whether Sam's inability to read defenses and know where to go with the ball is genetic or can be fixed with better coaching, better players and better scheme...

• Upvote 1