There will never be another defensive MVP in the Super Bowl

After last nights game, I think it's a pretty safe bet. Tampa won that game because Bowles and his guys turned Mahomes into Geno Smith. They did what nobody has even come close to doing the last 3 years, shut down the best offense the league has seen in forever. It's a disgrace, but isn't that what the NFL is all about?

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So which specific Buc on D deserves the MVP over the 43 year old QB who 21-29 for 201 with 3 TD's and 0 INT's?

The MVP is an individual player award, not a unit award, remember.

That's the issue, plus the reality is if Brady stays in NE Tampa isnt playing last night no matter how good Devin White is.

• Upvote 3

Just now, CTM said:

That's the issue, plus the reality is if Brady stays in NE Tampa isnt playing last night no matter how good Devin White is.

I agree.

I'd also say the Bucs D didn't really get nasty and start really beating hell out of Mahomes until after Brady built a near insurmountable lead.  

The Bucs D has alot to be proud of today, they can and should wear their future Rings proudly.

It's not a problem that a D player didn't win the MVP.

• Upvote 2

I think the Packers would have won that game if they had their Tackles healthy.  But that's the way the cookie crumbles in the NFL.

As the defensive MVP, yes, it will happen.  When a team like the old Ravens or Bears wins again.  Maybe just every 5-10 years but it happens.  The Rams could be the next one if Stafford puts them over the top because Donald is always going to be the center of attention on that team.

• Upvote 2

The pressure Brady and TB O put on Reid and Mahomes to play hero ball helped TB DL to pass rush without having to respect the run game at all. 

There was a team element at play on both sides.  KC D losing their composure and containment allowed TB to get a lead big enough to force KC to throw and TB to rush without containing the run game. 

There was no clear stand out on TB's D everyone played really well.  TB O scoring TD's and Brady being the trigger man made him the obvious choice.  

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

So which specific Buc on D deserves the MVP over the 43 year old QB who 21-29 for 201 with 3 TD's and 0 INT's?

The MVP is an individual player award, not a unit award, remember.

Plus, about 100 yards in flags on 3rd downs that most QBs don’t get.

Devin White makes that D tick though.

Just now, Biggs said:

The pressure Brady and TB O put on Reid and Mahomes to play hero ball helped TB DL to pass rush without having to respect the run game at all. 

I mean, KC wax hurling low-percentage bombs from go. I figured they’d lose after their third drive like that.

3 hours ago, section314 said:

After last nights game, I think it's a pretty safe bet. Tampa won that game because Bowles and his guys turned Mahomes into Geno Smith. They did what nobody has even come close to doing the last 3 years, shut down the best offense the league has seen in forever. It's a disgrace, but isn't that what the NFL is all about?

iwillneverunderstandpeople.gif

32 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Plus, about 100 yards in flags on 3rd downs that most QBs don’t get.

Devin White makes that D tick though.

Like all those "fouls" Jordan got, eh?

I'll be honest, I saw at least a few PI's on Gronk that didn't get called, and they were pretty blatant.

I think the problem is more the extreme variability of how PI gets called.  Same as Roughing the QB these days.  Hell, Sam took a half dozen hits that any other QB would have gotten as Roughing calls this year alone.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I mean, KC wax hurling low-percentage bombs from go. I figured they’d lose after their third drive like that.

I have a lot of respect for Reid.  I think his game plan was a disaster right from the start.  The team also played incredibly tight from the start.  He was severely out coached both in terms of game plan and having the team ready to go.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Todd Bowles was the MVP of the postseason and I feel like Jets fans need to come to terms with that.

I lived in AZ and was a Cardinal season ticket holder when Arians and Bowles took them to the NFC championship game.  The Cardinals didn't have a D anywhere as stout as TB's and they played a bend don't break style.  He always did a great job with half time adjustments.  I was really happy when the Jets signed him.   No doubt he's a very good DC.  It didn't translate to HC.  He probably gets another shot.  He better take a different approach when he gets it.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I have a lot of respect for Reid.  I think his game plan was a disaster right from the start.  The team also played incredibly tight from the start.  He was severely out coached both in terms of game plan and having the team ready to go.  

I agree...

Reid never adjusted; never went to the quick slants off play action to get the ball out of Mahomes hands faster. These long running passing plays were well schemed for by Bowles and the defense was ready!

They had to do something different!

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I agree...

Reid never adjusted; never went to the quick slants off play action to get the ball out of Mahomes hands faster. These long running passing plays were well schemed for by Bowles and the defense was ready!

They had to do something different!

Having his son in a DUI that almost (and may still) kill a few children might have been a distraction to Reid.  He's only human.

• Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Like all those "fouls" Jordan got, eh?

I'll be honest, I saw at least a few PI's on Gronk that didn't get called, and they were pretty blatant.

I think the problem is more the extreme variability of how PI gets called.  Same as Roughing the QB these days.  Hell, Sam took a half dozen hits that any other QB would have gotten as Roughing calls this year alone.

Become a star. Get the calls. It’s the NBA model.

19 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I also think TB over the back half of this season realized how stacked their roster is. They have the better personnel. 

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Become a star. Get the calls. It’s the NBA model.

Yup. 

Not a fan of it tbh, but it's the case in every sport I've ever followed. 

Be assured, Juan Soto gets a few Star Balls/Strikes calls these days too.  As does Sherzer.

I wonder, do Stars get calls in NASCAR?  Are there even calls in NASCAR?  I don't think so....

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Todd Bowles was the MVP of the postseason and I feel like Jets fans need to come to terms with that.

Todd Bowles has proven himself of being a great DC.  I believe much of his failure with the Jets falls directly on his best friends Kacy Rogers.  Remember when Rogers had to take a leave due to illness?  The Jets D was incredible in those games.  I think is was Kacy who did not prepare the defense (as Jamal had alluded to) and did not know how to call defensive plays.   The other reason for his failure was he was not strong enough of a leader- I believe he lost the locker room for his blind loyalty to Rogers.  In Bowles first season the team was on auto-pilot led by career years from Fitzpatrick and Marshall.  The following season Fitzpatrick showed up fat and lazy, Marshall got frustrated and the locker room blew up.  He tried to clean house, but thanks to Mac, talent was not replaced with talent, and Rogers only got worse.  Bowles probably learned a lot of lessons and may very well make a good head coach someday.  That is the fear of an inexperienced head coach, they do not understand the level of responsibility they bear and do not have a powerful voice to reign power.  Nevertheless, I do not have that fear with Saleh - he is going to come in kicking ass and everyone will respect him for it. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Having his son in a DUI that almost (and may still) kill a few children might have been a distraction to Reid.  He's only human.

Should anyone have thought otherwise, yesterday proved the Bieniemy does nothing.  Its all Andy Reid, and Reid failed in the leadership department yesterday - not that I am blaming him - his son may be going to prison for a very long time.  Don't underestimate the impact on the entire locker room of seeing one of your coaches - who also happens to be the son of your head coach - commit such a heinous and reckless crime.   I will never understand why super wealthy people will insist on driving when intoxicated.  Andy Reid must be worth at least $100M and I am sure his son gets paid generously.  He couldnt take a ******* uber?  Seeing that photo of that poor little girl in the hospital - I am shocked that KC played as well as they did.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Bowles won 10 games his first year here. Let's not break out the anointing oil for Saleh until we actually see demonstrable results.

I hear ya, but I'll never forget that scene in year two - when Bowles went over to the DL members on the sideline and balled them out - as he walks away you could see the eyerolls and Leo Williams burst out laughing.  They looked at Bowles as a clown - because he had no accountability for the terrible job his buddy was doing as DC.

Saleh is a tough guy, he is not going to allow one of his assistants to cause him failure.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I think the problem is more the extreme variability of how PI gets called.  Same as Roughing the QB these days.

That has been long been the issue with officiating, and the problem is that it has hit whole new levels of influence in the postseason in recent years.  You can understand the variance from game-to-game for a variety of reasons, including of course the different crews, but drastically changing calls over the course of a single game is completely inexcusable.  You can't be wiping out ones team's biggest play of the game with a ticky-tack call negating a turnover, then keep your hands in your pockets for excessively more flagrant fouls of the same variety left and right against both teams.  When one team is breaking records for flags, and the other seeing nothing, there's only so many excuses to be made.  Particularly when it comes just after the same benefiters were in a game that saw next to nothing called the entire night, until a laughably late flag was only thrown when it would determine the outcome.

In truth, the fact that last night was such a complete blowout makes it a little more bearable, as it's unlikely the outcome would have changed much even if the officiating wasn't such a complete embarrassment.

I miss the days of the NFL officiating strike, as at least their incompetence was unbiasedly consistent to all teams and players.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

KC's offensive line was in shambles missing both tackles. They weren't as good as everyone thought. Credit to Bowles D though. They were terrific last night, and deserve to be praised. With that said, Brady had a great game completing 72.4% of his passes for 3 touchdowns and he didn't make a single bad throw. Dude changed the culture of a 7-9 team the prior season and took them to the mountain top in 12 months and they're now Super Bowl Champions. Tom Brady deserves a Key to the City of Tampa Bay on top of that Super Bowl MVP. ?

Mahomes foot was jacked also. Not many people are acknowledging the fact that the line was missing key pieces. but no excuses for what happened. The Bucs took advantage of every situation (kc penalties) and Brady is unquestioned the MVP of the game.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Todd Bowles has proven himself of being a great DC.  I believe much of his failure with the Jets falls directly on his best friends Kacy Rogers.  Remember when Rogers had to take a leave due to illness?  The Jets D was incredible in those games.  I think is was Kacy who did not prepare the defense (as Jamal had alluded to) and did not know how to call defensive plays.   The other reason for his failure was he was not strong enough of a leader- I believe he lost the locker room for his blind loyalty to Rogers.  In Bowles first season the team was on auto-pilot led by career years from Fitzpatrick and Marshall.  The following season Fitzpatrick showed up fat and lazy, Marshall got frustrated and the locker room blew up.  He tried to clean house, but thanks to Mac, talent was not replaced with talent, and Rogers only got worse.  Bowles probably learned a lot of lessons and may very well make a good head coach someday.  That is the fear of an inexperienced head coach, they do not understand the level of responsibility they bear and do not have a powerful voice to reign power.  Nevertheless, I do not have that fear with Saleh - he is going to come in kicking ass and everyone will respect him for it. 

This 100%!!!!

4 hours ago, section314 said:

The O scored 31 points, it was great offense and defense. This wasn't like the giants SBs where it was all D with a little O sprinkled in.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yup. 

Not a fan of it tbh, but it's the case in every sport I've ever followed. 

Be assured, Juan Soto gets a few Star Balls/Strikes calls these days too.  As does Sherzer.

I wonder, do Stars get calls in NASCAR?  Are there even calls in NASCAR?  I don't think so....

No, but probably because it’s not a sport. BOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!

• Haha 1