Wentz trade "imminent"?

Dcat

This guy thinks so:

The Spun

There Appears To Be 2 Finalists For A Carson Wentz Trade

Andrew Holleran  1 hr ago

A Carson Wentz trade is reportedly imminent.

According to a report from NJ.com, the Philadelphia Eagles are on the verge of trading their once-upon-a-time franchise quarterback.

Wentz, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, was benched at the end of the 2020 regular season in favor of Jalen Hurts. It appears that the Eagles – and Wentz – both feel it would be best to part ways this offseason.

NJ.com is reporting that a trade could happen very soon, with two teams – the Bears and the Colts – being viewed as the finalists.

From the report:

According to the source, the belief around the league is that the trade market will come down to the Chicago Bears and Indianapolis Colts. While a third undisclosed team is said to be in the mix, the source noted that the Bears and Colts are in the driver’s seat and a deal is “close.”

While there’s a sense that GM Howie Roseman is trying to drive up the market, the person said Colts GM Chris Ballard and Bears GM Ryan Pace have remained “disciplined” during negotiations.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported on Monday morning that the Eagles’ asking price for Wentz remains very high.

The Colts are probably the most-logical destination considering their coaching staff and Philip Rivers’ retirement. However, the Bears have been searching for a quarterback upgrade for a while and maybe Wentz will find his form in Chicago.

• Upvote 2

If Wentz goes to the Bears would the Eagles be interested in reacquiring Nick Foles who basically has only been successful with the Eagles. And as a backup. His salary isn't that high I think about 6.6 for 2021. I think if the Bears get Wentz Foles could be a part of this deal and the fans there love him. Here are his contract numbers https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/nick-foles-9898/.

• Upvote 3

If Wentz goes for a lot with his recent track record and ugly contract and is indicative of the market in a crazy QB carousel offseason, might it be indicative of a chance to get a crazy return on Darnold that could shift the current perception of what the Jets might do with him?

Also kind of interesting how many QB needs are getting filled with existing players. I can’t imagine a reshuffling around the league is great news for the guys who are going to be the fourth and fifth quarterbacks off the board.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I mean if Sam is so highly regarded around the league like some are trying desperately to convince us, wouldn’t it be ideal for the  Bears and Colts to wait for the Jets? 

No because Jets aren't ready to make a deal.  May need time to properly evaluate Sam, go through tape on QBs in draft and get with coaches to assess fit in Shanahan scheme, and wait out Texans - Watson drama.  

And there's no guarantee we move on from Sam so they could be waiting around for nothing.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, derp said:

If Wentz goes for a lot with his recent track record and ugly contract and is indicative of the market in a crazy QB carousel offseason, might it be indicative of a chance to get a crazy return on Darnold that could shift the current perception of what the Jets might do with him?

Also kind of interesting how many QB needs are getting filled with existing players. I can’t imagine a reshuffling around the league is great news for the guys who are going to be the fourth and fifth quarterbacks off the board.

It may well mean that some of the later QB picks go to established teams looking for their future starter rather than the teams looking for their "now" starter.

As a rookie QB, would you rather be selected by the Jets or the Steelers, if you want to win a Superbowl in your playing career?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I mean if Sam is so highly regarded around the league like some are trying desperately to convince us, wouldn’t it be ideal for the  Bears and Colts to wait for the Jets? 

You are assuming the Jets have been taking offers, or not rejecting offers they consider to be inadequate 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Seriously, they would have to offer me two 1st round picks to take him and his contract.  He's far more Goff than Stafford to me.

The Stafford trade ruined everything

forget about trading for Watson or Wentz after the lions pulled off that heist

52 minutes ago, jamesr said:

It may well mean that some of the later QB picks go to established teams looking for their future starter rather than the teams looking for their "now" starter.

As a rookie QB, would you rather be selected by the Jets or the Steelers, if you want to win a Superbowl in your playing career?

Oh absolutely the Steelers. Same if I’m Darnold.

Would love for the narrative to change over time but that’s been the hope as long as I’ve been a fan. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Yes, I'm curious about this as well. After all, several Darnold bros have told me that Sam is easily better than Wentz. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

So they can lose out on Wentz if the Jets dont want to deal him?

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

I don’t see where wentz is that much of a step up from trubisky.  Obviously the dolts need a QB. 

I think he is a step up but my fear is he has a knack for getting hurt at the absolute worst possible times.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

All of the articles relating to an hypothetical trade involving Darnold point out to him still being a valued commodity. Why would you think the opposite?

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

People insist on just thinking of picks as 1st roiunders or second rounders instead of the pick itself. Detroit got about the value of a SINGLE Top 10 pick around #8 which is just over half what Pick #2 is worth

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Not necessarily. Rams were desperate to dump Goff salary..  Not sure Philly is as desperate.  There could be differences in guarantees and the like that make Wentz less of a cap liability than Goff was going to be.  Extricating themselves from Goff cap hell was probably more of the reason for LA sending all those picks to Detroit than Stafford himself.  Not sure if Philly has similar cap issues or if they are as extreme as Goff's.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Not necessarily. Rams were desperate to dump Goff salary..  Not sure Philly is as desperate.  There could be differences in guarantees and the like that make Wentz less of a cap liability than Goff was going to be.  Extricating themselves from Goff cap hell was probably more of the reason for LA sending all those picks to Detroit than Stafford himself.  Not sure if Philly has similar cap issues or if they are as extreme as Goff's.

Eagles are actually in much worse shape than the Rams.  The problem is, if they trade him before June 1 they are going to eat $33M in dead cap while saving <$1M this year.  So getting rid of Wentz now doesn't really help their cap problem.  After June 1, it does help a lot more this year.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I think he is a step up but my fear is he has a knack for getting hurt at the absolute worst possible times.

He is soft as butter. His teammates did not like him, and he is shying away from a qb competition. 

The Eagles basically got a coach that was a carbon copy of Frank Reich, because that was when Carson performed, with Reich,  and now Carson does not want to be a part of a qb competition in camp. What a horrible situation.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He is soft as butter. His teammates did not like him, and he is shying away from a qb competition. 

The Eagles basically got a coach that was a carbon copy of Frank Reich, because that was when Carson performed, with Reich,  and now Carson does not want to be a part of a qb competition in camp. What a horrible situation.

Not horrible at all.  It's happening to PHI :D

They still owe us big-time for firing Kotite in 1995.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Once upon a time Franchise QB ?? Does everyone forget the way this guy was playing his first 4 years ? Obviously something is wrong in Philly that effected Wentz in a bad way. I'm pretty sure he did not forget how to play QB. Same guy who was in the MVP discussion and lighting up the league the year he got hurt and Philly won the SB. Those saying Darnold is better than Wentz need to have their heads examined.

Wentz constantly had to deal with backups at the WR position just like Darnold only difference was just about everything. 

Looking at the stats below namely 9 comebacks and 10 game winning drives ...when did Darnold ever do either of these things ?

Passing

• * Selected to Pro Bowl, + First-Team All-Pro
  •  
  • Toggle Per-Game Stats
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
Career       68 68 35-32-1 1562 2492 62.7 16811 113 4.5 50 2.0 855 73 6.7 6.8 10.8 247.2 89.2   179 1133 5.87 5.87 6.7 9 10 49
2016 24 PHI QB 11 16 16 7-9-0 379 607 62.4 3782 16 2.6 14 2.3 192 73 6.2 5.7 10.0 236.4 79.3 46.7 33 213 5.58 5.09 5.2 1 1 10
2017* 25 PHI QB 11 13 13 11-2-0 265 440 60.2 3296 33 7.5 7 1.6 161 72 7.5 8.3 12.4 253.5 101.9 78.5 28 162 6.70 7.43 6.0 1 1 14
2018 26 PHI QB 11 11 11 5-6-0 279 401 69.6 3074 21 5.2 7 1.7 159 58 7.7 7.9 11.0 279.5 102.2 62.0 31 202 6.65 6.89 7.2 2 2 9
2019 27 PHI QB 11 16 16 9-7-0 388 607 63.9 4039 27 4.4 7 1.2 213 53 6.7 7.0 10.4 252.4 93.1 62.8 37 230 5.91 6.26 5.7 2 4 12
2020 28 PHI QB 11 12 12 3-8-1 251 437 57.4 2620 16 3.7 15 3.4 130 59 6.0 5.2 10.4 218.3 72.8 49.6 50 326 4.71 3.98 10.3 3 2 4
1 playoff game - full playoff gamelogs · 9 comebacks, 10 game-winning drives - full summary

He was playing half the season with his backup LT

And half the season with his backup RT.

And half a season with the backup LG.

And most of the season with a backup RG.

And his receivers were decidedly worse than the Jets.

And more often than not he still threw 2 TDs/game. But Darnold supposedly played under the worst situation in NFL history or something & that's why it's not really that bad that he threw 9 TDs in 12 starts.

• Haha 1