Are we still saying Becton was better then Wirfs

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very different job working with the greatest of all time vs the worst in the league. Both look to be good players.  Why is this necessary?

He might be better than Becton but he also has a legend at QB making calls and releasing the ball a lot quicker than whoever we have. He's also playing RT. It's not an apples to apples comparison. And

LT or RT aside.....do you still pass on Wirfs in hindsight? 

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I would bet my bottom dollar if there was a league wide expansion draft, where all teams rosters were wiped clean and redrafted (like a fantasy draft) Becton would go ahead of Wirfs 10 times out of 10.

And I love Wirfs.  

Wirfs at RT/G was the safer pick. Becton was the boom or bust pick and so far he's looked like a boom. so yeah, agree with this sentiment. I also love Wirfs irrationally as he was a former wrestling state champ 

https://www.thegazette.com/tristan-wirfs/a-story-of-joy-12

he's awesome but not becton 

planet theory 

• Upvote 4
3 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Still Becton. Why don't some people understand Wirfs played RT and also had the luxury of having Tom Brady as his QB? 

Becton was a LT that played well. 

Becton needs to stay on the field. That’s probably the main concern. Every other game it seems he was taking himself out. 

Would have taken wirfs over becton, but was happy with the becton pick as long as there was another one of the big four available. Was nervous if becton was the last OT available and Jets chose him as the others IMO all had higher floors.

I’ll rely on PFF grade as I’m not grinding OT film, but the consensus seems to be that Wirfs has had one of the best T rookie years ever and already is a top 10 tackle. Wirfs should still improve and also has upside of a top 3 tackle based on his rookie year. Becton had an unbelievable rookie year and is already an above average tackle. Bectons upside is still higher given his insane physical attributes, however IMO he still carries more risk than wirfs due to his size, potential for weight management issues, and constantly being dinged up.

So if TB called today and asked to trade, I would do it. That being said I think the Becton pick was a 10/10 and think it’s 50/50 becton ends up being the better tackle. I am more worried about the downside scenario with Becton dealing with injury/weight issues and if you remove those from the equation I’d pick Becton 

Its tough to argue with stats. In addition, the best ability is availability. I dont think I'd give anyone flak if they thought Wirfs was better.

Having said that:

1. Wirfs is playing RT. Its a little easier for the QBs to avoid sacks if they can see where the pressure is coming from.

2. His QB is Tom Brady, He makes all linemen look really really good. His ability to read defenses and get rid of the ball really helps the OL

The moral of the story is, I'm happy with Becton. I wouldnt be confident in saying Wirfs would be better at LT on the Jets than Becton would be.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Just now, T0mShane said:

I’m going to guess that blocking for Tom Brady, who seems to understand football, is a little easier than blocking for Sam Darnold, who holds the ball tighter than @joewilly12 squeezes the latest issue of Wet Sailor magazine.

Add that to the fact that Brady will never not see a pressure Wirfs allows, yeah, just not apples to apples.

• Upvote 2

Do we really need to be making a judgement on two rookie OLs, in very different situations, a year into their careers.  Both guys were good picks and both should have really nice long careers ahead of them.  I am happy we have Becton.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Do we really need to be making a judgement on two rookie OLs, in very different situations, a year into their careers.  Both guys were good picks and both should have really nice long careers ahead of them.  I am happy we have Becton.

Can't wait till we start prepping for the 2021 JN Mock😁 At least we will start having some fun again.

I think this is a nitpick thread.  Both of them were tremendous picks.  Both of them will get better.  Who will be better will be determined by hindsight.  

• Upvote 1

The two situations these players were in aren’t worth comparing and you’re completely downplaying the difference between playing RT for a QB who historically gets the ball out super quick. And playing LT for a QB that historically holds the ball entirely too long. 

It’s a waste of time trying to compare this....they are both great young players with a ton of upside....why not just leave it there?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

One of the best abilities is availability, so advantage Wirfs right now. Becton needs to get on the Quinnen Williams diet this off-season.

Exactly my thought.  Becton seemed to go off the field often for a variety of "ailments".  Let's judge him after this season when I hope he improves in this department.

Wirfs stats above are pretty impressive, especially playing every snap and only allowing one sack.    That's what you want in a O lineman.

• Upvote 4

Who’s the better player now and who will be in the future is obvious debatable 

The issue is can you really expect a guy that’s 6’7” 370 to have a long healthy career 

it’s the reason I wanted Wirfs then, and why I’d take him now

but still happy with Benton 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Does anyone think Becton wouldn't have done the same thing Wirfs did in that situation?

The OP?

Matt? 

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

9A99FBC0-CAFF-46AB-A510-AF4CEA63E446.jpeg

This is an all time SOJF post. Becton came out as a long term project and excelled year 1 pretty much exceeding everyone's expectations for him on a crappy team.

But yeah, Wirfs had a better year one. No idea why that should matter to us. Saquon was a better draft pick year 1 than Josh allen. Pretty sure bills fans are happier today than Giants fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The ceiling of Becton is best lineman in the league. You take that over Wirfs every time. Now if two years from now Becton has missed 40% of his career games then it’s a different question. Be patient.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

9A99FBC0-CAFF-46AB-A510-AF4CEA63E446.jpeg

Jesus...Do you have NOTHING better to do with your time than keep filling the board with this sh*t?

Give it a ***** rest dude.  It's getting tiresome. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
15 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Jesus...Do you have NOTHING better to do with your time than keep filling the board with this sh*t?

Give it a ***** rest dude.  It's getting tiresome. 

It’s just an extension of his ******* anti JDouglas campaign.

He can stop complaining about everything Douglas has touched

• Upvote 1