Adam Schefter: Jets Seem "Inclined To Move On" From Darnold

Schefter:
"I think they are wide open on this. And the fact they're wide open would tell me they're inclined to move on from him. OK? They haven't made a decision. They're looking at all the scenarios. But if you knew that he was the guy, you wouldn't be looking at all the scenarios. You wouldn't be listening. Right? So, the fact that that's going on tells me that, I would think, that they're more likely than not to make a move, but I don't think they've made any final decisions at all."

Wasn't Schefter the guy who a couple of weeks ago said he expected Sam to be the starter in 2021 because the front office and the coaches believed in him so much? And when that take was questioned by some here, including me, we were shot down as being in "denial" about Sam coming back. 

So what's going on here? Adam Schefter must be in denial, right? Sam is coming back. That has to be the case, because the "insiders" and Sam lovers on this board told us so.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

Schefter:
"I think they are wide open on this. And the fact they're wide open would tell me they're inclined to move on from him. OK? They haven't made a decision. They're looking at all the scenarios. But if you knew that he was the guy, you wouldn't be looking at all the scenarios. You wouldn't be listening. Right? So, the fact that that's going on tells me that, I would think, that they're more likely than not to make a move, but I don't think they've made any decisions at all."

Wasn't Schefter the guy who a couple of weeks ago said he expected Sam to be the starter in 2021 because the front office and the coaches believed in him so much? And when that take was questioned by some here, including me, we were shot down as being in "denial" about Sam coming back. 

So what's going on here? Adam Schefter must be in denial, right? Sam is coming back. That has to be the case, because the "insiders" and Sam lovers on this board told us so.

I saw this yesterday. But yea no one knows yet so all this is just speculation.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Schefter:
"I think they are wide open on this. And the fact they're wide open would tell me they're inclined to move on from him. OK? They haven't made a decision. They're looking at all the scenarios. But if you knew that he was the guy, you wouldn't be looking at all the scenarios. You wouldn't be listening. Right? So, the fact that that's going on tells me that, I would think, that they're more likely than not to make a move, but I don't think they've made any decisions at all."

I mean, your post literally says " I THINK" "They haven't made a decision" " but I don't think they've made a decision at all" 

Whole lotta guessing going on there. Because well, it's too early for any of this. But gotta fill air time somehow.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I saw this yesterday. But yea no one knows yet so all this is just speculation.

This is the common logic of the Sam stans but when Schefter said weeks ago “he be surprised if Darnold isn’t the NYJ starting QB next season” EVERYONE WAS SCREAMING THIS IS THE GOSPEL(including JetNation insiders) 

Now Adam is what many of us have been preaching for months “he’s just speculating” ??????

OP great post I was waiting for someone to start this thread but funny it took to long... If he would’ve said Darnold was likey staying again this would’ve been posted ASAP. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Obvious speculation is obvious, especially with that disclaimer at the end there. 

Jets are evaluating Darnold, the availability/price of Watson, the QBs available at #2 or who they think might be there at #23, the trade offers they're getting for Darnold and the #2, the free agent QB market, etc., etc. The start of the league year is over a month away. They're taking their time to make an informed, deliberate decision - as they should. 

Listening to offers may mean that they're inclined to move on, or it may just be doing their due diligence. But when you make a living doing football prognostication, it's basically your job to keep the provocative sound bites coming until there actually is news. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

Due diligence from here on out...

Wait on Watson for the right offer right up until Draft Day then Draft Wilson (or Fields) with a Sam trade all qued up later that day to the team that lost out on the QB maneuvers... 

Absolutely. The professional way to operate. To be fair, all of us, probably many times in our own lives, have made a decision , but have listened to other people to solidify our thinking process, one way or the other.

2 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

No, it's not baseless at all. He's very well connected. A few weeks ago he did not have the intel he does now. His opinion is based on what people close to the situation are telling him. Obviously they could change their minds, but I really doubt Sam will be here after they watch the tape and evaluate Wilson. Hopefully it's Watson, but I think Wilson would be exciting to have here.

No, no, no you’re just wrong, His wordS only mean something if he’s saying Sam is  staying ???

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think I saw eleven crows flying southeast over my house today.  That makes me think the Jets are moving on from Sam.  Clearly if they were keeping him, the crows would have been going southwest in even numbers.  

If it were 14 crows I might believe you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I think I saw eleven crows flying southeast over my house today.  That makes me think the Jets are moving on from Sam.  Clearly if they were keeping him, the crows would have been going southwest in even numbers.  

You gotta love the mental gymnastics that happens here though. Weeks ago when Schefter said he’d be surprised is Sam isn’t the QB next season, majority of the people here were screaming this was a fact. Now it’s pure speculation when he says the opposite? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

No, it's not baseless at all. He's very well connected. A few weeks ago he did not have the intel he does now. His opinion is based on what people close to the situation are telling him. Obviously they could change their minds, but I really doubt Sam will be here after they watch the tape and evaluate Wilson. Hopefully it's Watson, but I think Wilson would be exciting to have here.

Oh it's baseless alright.  And I'm not saying they have no sources.  Of course they do.  But those sources need to speak and I do not believe they are revealing anything truthful at this juncture. Unless you honestly believe that JD, the Johnsons or anyone else at Florham Park has told Schefter or anyone else anything that could be trusted, at this point, everything is hyperbole, speculation and guesswork, except for organizations purposely feeding misinformation to throw other teams off their trail.  In that case, we can expect to see the opposite of what might be predicted.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lith said:

Honestly, I don't think anyone knows at this stage.  I am sure the braintrust in Florham Park is evaluating Sam as well as options at 2, plus veteran QBs who might be available.  Don't think any decisions are made yet and probably won't be until they meet with the QB prospects in the draft.

Gotta give Schefter credit though, regardless of what happens in March and April, he now has both sides covered and can point to an "as I said back in Jan/Feb" comment.

?????????

LMFAOOOOOOO YOU WIN THE INTERNET 

cheers ? 

p.s this is so true though 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

It can be phrased a million different ways, but I think ultimately the circumstances are the same today as they were from the very beginning.  The Jets are willing to give Darnold another chance, if they are not able to find another preferable option, which they will consider.

Essentially, they're not in some desperate situation where they will rid themselves of Darnold at all costs.  He's not a team cancer nor eating up the cap.  So he's not being to be cut, and they're not going to massively overpay, via FA or trade, for some other complete JAG they know isn't the answer for the team.  They'll stick with Sam until they find themselves a real reason not to, which unfortunately they don't yet have, considering their other current options.  They'll be looking for that reason, but it's still a question of whether they'll find it over the next 2-3 months.  Now of course with the #2 overall pick, you'd think they should have that opportunity, but that will have more to do of what they think of the available players.  While I'm far from a JD superfan, I think we've seen enough to suggest he's unlikely to get hung up on making what he may view as a desperation reach for a position, if he's not a particular fan of the prospects.

Now let's just hope he actually finds "his guy", gets him, and is of course right about it.

Great point.

You're not going to go shopping for a house if you're happy where you're living. Why go through such a hassle? You only conduct due diligence when you want to make a change. And the fact that the Jets are "house hunting" shows that they don't have confidence in Darnold. Why the hell would Douglas want to start off the tenure of Robert Saleh with a QB the team has serious doubts about? The answer is, they wouldn't. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

There's nothing to decode here because it's baseless speculation. Teams may be contacting the NYJ because they are interested in Darnold or trying to flesh out whether Douglas intends to take a QB at #2. The front office may be interested in moving on or just feeling out the market to get a sense of what they may have to pay to make the moves they want. Agents are hyping their athletes to pump up their contract prices and draft positions. Nobody is telegraphing real intent--certainly not to sports commentators. 

1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

You're not going to go shopping for a house if you're happy where you're living. Why go through such a hassle? You only conduct due diligence when you want to make a change. And the fact that the Jets are "house hunting" shows that they don't have confidence in Darnold. Why the hell would Douglas want to start off the tenure of Robert Saleh with a QB the team has serious doubts about? The answer is, they wouldn't. 

it doesn't go much further than this.

• Sympathy 1