Adam Schefter: Jets Seem "Inclined To Move On" From Darnold

BroadwayRay

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Have you seen Darnold paly?  Of course we are getting rid of him.  Joe D and Saleh are not putting their careers on the line for a bad qb.

The only people who think Darnold is returning are those who wear his jersey, have his bobblehead on their dressers, and go to sleep in their Darnold pajamas.

You must be hitting the bottle again. 

• Haha 2

I dont expect this to be a swift process. 

Though it's still up in the air, the fact that it's a debate shows that there's at least some intrigue in the draft. I don't expect JD and Saleh to have made their decision until they know everything possible about this class. 

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

Jets haven't made a decision one way or another. "Nothing has changed" is what I was told yesterday, and the Jets haven't shopped him. They've received calls, as they have since last trade deadline. It seems that the underlying premise of Schefter's position is because they haven't ruled out trading him he must be available, and if he's available that increases the odds of him getting traded, but that has been the case since day 1. Coupled with how hot the market has gotten (I don't think the Jets realistically thought they could get a 1st round pick for him if they were to make him available), Schefter seems to believe a trade is more likely than it appeared a month ago. Otherwise everything else sounds correct: they're evaluating their options, giving the coaches time to scout and evaluate on their own, then will come to a consensus on how they want to proceed. If they have a high grade on Wilson and a team offers something like their 1st for Darnold and our 4th/5th, I don't see how they can turn that down (although this is my opinion; I've been told nothing of the sort). 

Anyway, this article does a good job of summarizing the QB market overall. Here's a look at how it relates to Darnold: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/09/nfl-offseason-roster-questions-deshaun-watson/

I would add Washington. There are teams that I don't think the Jets would trade to (i.e. New England) that showed interest at some point. 

I get why fans look at Darnold as damaged goods, but it amazes me how so many fans think the guy is absolute trash because of the lack of production and how he's looked the past 3 years... I had expectations too, but to think that the youngest starting QB in NFL history, playing on one of the worst rosters NFL in history, with one of the worst coaching staffs in NFL history, would enter his 3rd year and play well in-spite of an offseason discombobulated by a pandemic and countless injuries is abandoning logic. If he doesn't succeed I'm sure there will be plenty of fans who would shout "I told you so" (confirmation bias built upon a faulty assumption). However, I don't see that happening... I'm more interested in tracking the revisionist historians when he does turn out to be a good QB. 

With all due respect, unless your source is Douglas, Rex Hogan, Hymie Elhaie, or Saleh I don’t think they’re leaking their intentions to just any employee. I doubt the ticket sales kid or social media content manager is getting daily updates on the Sam situation 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It's a fluid situation. How can it not be? You haven't worked out and met the rookie class QBs (personally)... you haven't seen who gets cut or winds up available... Sam is on a list of options. That's it right now. 

Exactly. 

Even if we assume that Watson either isn't traded at all or is traded somewhere else, the Jets can't possibly know what they are doing at QB until they workout the rookie QB draft class. They have the #2 overall pick. We all have a long way to go speculating about the QB position. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It's a fluid situation. How can it not be? You haven't worked out and met the rookie class QBs (personally)... you haven't seen who gets cut or winds up available... Sam is on a list of options. That's it right now. 

Agreed.  To say that a team is dead set on anything right now is pure speculation despite what “sources” say.  Draft boards aren’t close to being finalized, there hasn’t even been one pro day yet.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

With all due respect, unless your source is Douglas, Rex Hogan, Hymie Elhaie, or Saleh I don’t think they’re leaking their intentions to just any employee. I doubt the ticket sales kid or social media content manager is getting daily updates on the Sam situation 

There's no leaking intentions. It's widely known within the Jets front office, specifically the football ops. So no, the "ticket sales kid" or "social media content manager" are not my sources. Stop being a swine. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Drums said:

Didn’t @Paradis say he will be the starter based on brujería? 

Glad you brought that up. 

I asked if Sam would be on the jets this season... in hindsight, i'm learning to be more specific... I also asked if the Jets will draft Justin Fields and that was a strong yes... both can true. Unless Sam gets cut, that statement will remain correct - even if he's traded - he'll still be a Jet when the new League year rolls around on March 17th... 

• Upvote 2

This is just my opinion. The only QB, (other than Sam), that JD has an interest in is DW. Douglas would HAVE TO obtain a 1st rd pick for Darnold, and have an verbal agreement in place with Houston on what they would want from the Jet's. I don't believe JD wants to part with that 2nd pick. He needs it to trade down to recoup some of the draft capital lost in a DW trade. We do have other needs. That's why getting a 1st for Sam would be so key to any deal that might arise. My view is that by the time Houston decides what to do about DW, it will be after the draft, therefore making a deal for him a pipe dream.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Pauline chiming in.  Jets are not actively shopping him, but its a reall possibility that he ends up with Colts or Niners.   Way to go out on a limb.

Nobody knows anything right now.  It’s all beyond speculation.  That’s why everything we hear is so vague or involves seven different scenarios.  

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Glad you brought that up. 

I asked if Sam would be on the jets this season... in hindsight, i'm learning to be more specific... I also asked if the Jets will draft Justin Fields and that was a strong yes... both can true. Unless Sam gets cut, that statement will remain correct - even if he's traded - he'll still be a Jet when the new League year rolls around on March 17th... 

I’m just hoping something you said is wrong so I can get my hopes up again about Watson haha

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

This 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

You're not going to go shopping for a house if you're happy where you're living. Why go through such a hassle? You only conduct due diligence when you want to make a change. And the fact that the Jets are "house hunting" shows that they don't have confidence in Darnold. Why the hell would Douglas want to start off the tenure of Robert Saleh with a QB the team has serious doubts about? The answer is, they wouldn't. 

LOL! Do you realize the contrary to your premise is the basis for a hit tv show?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3ZkOINnr5AbePn8NT6h-

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/love-it-or-list-it

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

LOL! Do you realize the contrary to your premise is the basis for a hit tv show?

1523627557556.png

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/love-it-or-list-it

I'm not sure I follow your argument. People who agree to participate in "Love it or List it" clearly have incentives to do so, regardless of what they think of their current home. 

If the Jets are truly shopping for a QB, you know they aren't sold on Darnold.