SF Offense Video

win4ever

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

This is a lot, give me a few days. 

It was really interesting to me.  I think there might be more, but I thought focusing on the base run, and then how he shows the pass evolving from it was brilliant.  

I like the similar shells for pass/runs.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

It was really interesting to me.  I think there might be more, but I thought focusing on the base run, and then how he shows the pass evolving from it was brilliant.  

I like the similar shells for pass/runs.

I’ve always felt the attempts to confuse D’s with concepts driven by different looks and multiple personnel are misguided. After all, if they did their homework they get s good idea about what’s coming based on formation and personnel. Shannahan and McVay have moved away the different looks concepts running most plays from just a few formations, which I think is smart.

I think the next step in the evolution would be to utilize a halfback who is skilled enough to function as a WR and FB who can also play TE. This would permit you to run multiple formations from base personnel. You can go directly from traditional 2 back formations to double TE and 3 WR.  And since you have not switched personnel, the O doesn’t have to allow the D a chance to substitute personnel. In the hands of a veteran QB, this would be nearly impossible to defend. Or even if a young QB was under center, he need only get his team lined up quickly so the OC could provide instructions. 

Of course, the key would be finding the versatile HB and FB. While not the easiest thing, I think it is doable because you would value versatility over pure running back skills, so your draft targets would differ from most teams.

10 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I’ve always felt the attempts to confuse D’s with concepts driven by different looks and multiple personnel are misguided. After all, if they did their homework they get s good idea about what’s coming based on formation and personnel. Shannahan and McVay have moved away the different looks concepts running most plays from just a few formations, which I think is smart.

I think the next step in the evolution would be to utilize a halfback who is skilled enough to function as a WR and FB who can also play TE. This would permit you to run multiple formations from base personnel. You can go directly from traditional 2 back formations to double TE and 3 WR.  And since you have not switched personnel, the O doesn’t have to allow the D a chance to substitute personnel. In the hands of a veteran QB, this would be nearly impossible to defend. Or even if a young QB was under center, he need only get his team lined up quickly so the OC could provide instructions. 

Of course, the key would be finding the versatile HB and FB. While not the easiest thing, I think it is doable because you would value versatility over pure running back skills, so your draft targets would differ from most teams.

I think the lack of scheme versatility was the issue with Gase, where his play design itself was fine.  The problem was that once the defense adjusted, the scheme wasn't malleable enough to counter-adjust.  It's like using the create your own play function on video games.  You make it all elaborate, but it has to function within the flow of the offense.   

The Shanahan system (or at least as depicted in videos) seem to force adjustments from the defense, and then use scheme versatility to defeat it.  Therefore, if you have motion pre-snap and a linebacker vacates a spot, the scheme attacks it much like any offense.  However, they seem to run similar formations baiting the defense to adjust another player to that spot, thus opening up holes elsewhere.  I don't want to use like "3D Chess" but the offense seems more fluid.  

The downside is that the defense adjusts to the point of exemplifying the weakness of the roster.  Belicheck basically dared the Rams to beat them deep with single high safety or 0 cover blitzes, and Goff just wasn't up to the task in the Super Bowl.  This is why I think athleticism and down field accuracy is vital in the offense because it adds another wrinkle (RPO) out of the base formations.  I think the next evolution of the offense is a QB like Kyler Murray/Russel Wilson in that they can create with their feet, but also hit passes down the field.  Unfortunately, those combinations are rare and both of them pick too high to have a chance at guys of that caliber.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Shannahan and McVay have moved away the different looks concepts running most plays from just a few formations, which I think is smart.

Those few  simple sets that the entire offense is based on also help the players reduce penalties and mistakes on where to line up. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Wow great stuff!!

In truth I really think that Sam Darnold would do well in this system.  

I think there are a fair amount of QBs that would thrive in this system, which is why I think guys like Mullens have put up good stats.  The interesting aspect to me is the TE/WR position because I'm not sure how the Jets will construct their roster in the off-season.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think there are a fair amount of QBs that would thrive in this system, which is why I think guys like Mullens have put up good stats.  The interesting aspect to me is the TE/WR position because I'm not sure how the Jets will construct their roster in the off-season.  

It is simple to me if you think that Darnold can be “adequate” under Lefleur then you trade the number 2 pick to about the 4th or 5th pick and you draft this guy!

Pitts!!!!