QB Classmen: Justin Fields (Rotoworld)

win4ever

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Right?  I get if you're OL and RB but if you're a QB, WR or TE, why play for UGA?  @Lith ;-)

I hear ya with Darnold, I was originally of the mind of Darnold and Fields but I think we just need to hit reset at the position.  Especially if they can get a 2 (I'm not buy this 1 talk) but even a 3, I'd do it, find a bridge and give Fields a year on the bench. I think there are some good options in FA.  I really wont pretend to know who fits the scheme best but I feel like with any one of; Fitz, Brissett, Taylor, Dalton Winston - would all fit the bill and give you an opportunity to truly assess the rest of the roster while you bring Fields along.  You just have to ignore the pressure of not starting the #2 overall but I think it's the right thing to do.

I have no idea why a WR/QB would go there when they can't feature receivers anymore.  I loved the ability of Pickens but he's so buried in that offense.  

Yeah, I think the front office loves Darnold, but it's too risky to run it back with him and be mediocre.  I think there is an outside chance of No. 1 pick (or at least the trade value equivalent) because too many teams need to get younger at QB soon enough,  I can see something like the Colts second round pick plus maybe Parris Campell or something to bring up the value a bit.  I think Brisset would fit in well with the offense, but I don't want Fitz.  I hate that guy with a passion. 

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

I'm more than fine with Fields, just hope we get a solid veteran to start the season as Fields needs time to learn how to read the field and go through progressions.  Zach Wilson may end up better but he scares the hell out of me due to the conference he played in.

Fields has every physical attribute you could want.

God, I hope we just get Watson - that puts it all to rest for the next 10 years.

Wilson has a ton of potential, there's no denying that.  However, he played a joke schedule, has injury concerns with shoulders, and I don't see processing extraordinaire.  It's just too risky for 2.   

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

Can't really argue with either of you.  Kirby has been such a great recruiter, he has brought in a some highly touted WR recruits, but none have developed.  I really thought that adding Monken last year would help bring UGA offense into the 21st century, and there were some glimpses of it once Daniels got into the lineup, but we have been pretty much 3 yards and a cloud of dust on offense.  With a great defense, we can win lots of games, but once we go up against a high powered offenses, we are screwed.  Florida, Bama this year, LSU last year.  We can't score with the big guys.

Now, with two five star QB recruits, plus Daniels, I have little faith in Kirby's ability to handle these three guys and open up the offense.  Scares me that we are going to screw this up the way we screwed up the handling of Fields & Fromm decision a few years ago.

It's honestly a shame what they are trying to do with that offense.  Heck, even Saban opened up his offense because when you have athletes that can win one on one match ups, a spread offense is the best case scenario.  Most defenses can't stop elite receivers one on one, and that's the whole concept of spread.  

I feel you though, I'm a Michigan fan.  Idk wtf the offense we run.   

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, I heard they thought Fromm had great mental capacity, but man he sucked.  

I don't understand it either, it eerily reminds me of the Watson/Tribusky situation.  Maybe in the same year, I remember Kizer being talked up because that arm talent was so rare.  PFF I believe rated Kizer No. 1 that year.  I don't like hearing the main media takes because there's always an agenda behind it.  It's all about creating conversation, but then it gets such a following that I start refraining from posting because it feels useless.  

I do want to make a Fields/Wilson breakdown, but my issue really is that I can't find All 22 film for BYU.  I can't seem to find anything from them on All 22, which makes it hard to decipher.  From the few clips that I've seen, I could see a bunch of issues.  I'll give one example here, from regular tv angle.  

The start of the play, all 11 defenders are on screen, so essentially works like All 22 film.  They start with the two safeties being split, but one moves down for coverage of the left slot receiver (TE? I'm not sure).  This is a case where he's looking at the safety but there is no read whatsoever, because he didn't process the actual defensive shell.   

My issues: (I don't care about the throw being of, because it's a long throw, it happens)

1.  What is the purpose of the RPO here?  Considering the defensive shell shifting from dual safety to single middle field safety, that defender is no longer supporting the run.  So what is the purpose of the RPO?  The run option is built into the system for the linebacker to the slot side, because he's the one you are baiting with the RPO, yet he doesn't even look there.  The RPO is designed to bring both linebackers up, to deal with the lead block TE and the RB.  

2.  I'm not sure of the concept here, but it looks like 3 vertical routes, with 2 check down routes.  I want to say smash-divide but I'm not certain, the outside receivers are running verts instead of curls.  Anyway, the first read here needs to the left slot receiver because the safety is cheating towards him.  If he makes that read, this is an easy seam pass, with a check-down built into it, with the single high safety covering too much ground to make up the difference.   You can even see the slot receiver look back as soon as he crosses the safety in case it's a pass to him.  

3.  Instead, Wilson has his mind set from the snap to go towards the boundary receiver, who has a defender giving him ample space.  His defender is like 8 yards off the ball.  So, if you are the QB, and you see a defense move from split safeties to a single high safety to the right, with the left safety moving towards your slot receiver, while the one defender is playing that far back, then you have to realize they are protecting against exactly this route.  This is the type of recognition you would see Manning make, call a curl route and take the free yards.  The defender has no help, and is advertising his helplessness on a deep route by giving up all that space, yet Wilson still takes the shot there.  He completely ignores the function of the RPO, and doesn't make in the built in read from the RPO for the seam/checkdown option.  

4.  Let's throw out every other option in the middle in this scenario, and operate under the impression that he made up his mind at the snap.  Why did he pick the right side receiver?  Both boundary guys are running go routes.  On the right, you have a defender that is 8 yards off the ball, with a safety rotating from that side (therefore closer to that receiver).  On the left, you have a defender about 3-4 yards off the ball who has already opened up his hips to allow inside leverage, with the only safety in the area vacated for the slot receiver.  Why not pick the left receiver, because that's has a better theoretical chance of succeeding.  The right side receiver is blanketed, so it wasn't like he saw an opening and threw the ball.   

On the onset, this looks like a simple deep throw that missed, but it shows a good highlight of him not understanding the concepts of what he saw.  I don't see the processing speed, I see a QB that made up his mind from the get go, and more times than not has an arm that can over-come mental mistakes against that level of competition.  We saw Bryce Petty dominate in college with bad reads because it honestly didn't matter.  

I'm not saying he's bad, but I don't see this other worldly processor.  He has a great arm, and some very good upside.  If I'm a team picking at 10, I'd love the thought of him dropping to them.  But this hype seems completely surrounded on his arm, when there are better overall choices out there.  

Wilson Miss 1.gif

Post of the year material. Hero balls all day. Meanwhile TE had a first and then some. 

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

Post of the year material. Hero balls all day. Meanwhile TE had a first and then some. 

Thanks.  He has a few of them (even with completions) where the decision making is questionable.  

I'd love to hear your thoughts on him.  

Mine basically boils down to this, he needs way too many things to break right to be a great pick at 2.

1.  He has to stay healthy, which is especially concerning because his injuries are to the shoulders.  

2.  He has to learn the NFL system like pretty much every QB coming out of college.  

3.  He needs to prove that competition didn't matter, and that his play style is closer to Mahomes than Manziel.  

4.  He needs to stop with the hero ball, and learn to work the system, and make reads built into it.  

I don't want to come off like this guy is Hackenberg, but I don't understand the infatuation when watching the film.  His arm is great, and makes a bunch of pretty throws, but that was the exact same reason why people discounted Watson.  To me, Wilson is a physical talent pick, which is the exact same deal with Trey Lance.  You pick them, you sit them for a year, and you hope you can mold them.  You don't pick them at No. 2 and expect them to do anything in the first year.  

Fields over Wilson all day.

Draft the player with elite traits. He has the better chance of being successful.

Just look at the last few drafts and you’ll see it’s all about traits.

2017: Mahomes > Trubisky and Watson. Watson worked out despite not really having elite traits.

2018 Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson have elite traits. Darnold didn’t have elite traits as a prospect. Turns out traits matter.

2019: Murray over Daniel Jones.

2020: Tua has no elite traits. Herbert has elite arm strength.

2021: draft the guy that has elite accuracy and elite athleticism. Draft Fields.

• Upvote 1