Jump to content

Where does Sam Darnold wind up?


Where does Sam Darnold wind up in 2021?   

135 members have voted

  1. 1. Where does Sam Darnold wind up in 2021?

    • Chicago Bears
    • Indianapolis Colts
    • San Francisco 49ers
    • Washington Football Team
    • New York Jets
    • Another team not mentioned
    • I don't care


Recommended Posts

Honestly, I think if Saleh and Douglas get their way, they'll acquire Deshaun Watson without paying a kings ransom. Thereby, allowing them to still build the team.

However, I think they'll find that REASONABLE compensation to acquire Watson just simply isn't possible. So eventually they come to think that keeping Sammy and ultimately KEEPING their draft capital is the best situation the two of them can place themselves in? They will realize knowing that the Jets have extra draft capital in future years, that it's a calculated risk to stick with Sammy and go all in. They'll realize that they will have the future draft capital to move on from Sammy if his play doesn't improve.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I can't believe there are still so many of you that think Sam is coming back.

I cant believe you cant believe that he might get another stab at it with a real CS and players. 

Or that Fields could be taken over Wilson

I would bet against either

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I cant believe you cant believe that he might get another stab at it with a real CS and players. 

Or that Fields could be taken over Wilson

I would bet against either

Fields can be taken over Wilson, although I doubt it..

But there is almost no chance Sam is coming back to the Jets.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Fields can be taken over Wilson, although I doubt it..

But there is almost no chance Sam is coming back to the Jets.  

As I said, I wouldnt bet against it

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I can't believe there are still so many of you that think Sam is coming back.

I think Darnold's coming back. If I'm a team that wants to attempt to salvage Darnold(Pittsburgh/49ers/Colts), am I giving away my first for that privilege? Not really. If Darnold was available for a conditional 4th, that's one thing. It doesn't seem like JD wants to just give Darnold away, so I think he'll be back with some competition - be it a vet or a guy drafted early - in 2021.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I think Darnold's coming back. If I'm a team that wants to attempt to salvage Darnold(Pittsburgh/49ers/Colts), am I giving away my first for that privilege? Not really. If Darnold was available for a conditional 4th, that's one thing. It doesn't seem like JD wants to just give Darnold away, so I think he'll be back with some competition - be it a vet or a guy drafted early - in 2021.

 

 

The logic is actually pretty simple as to why we'll get a late first or at minimum a 2nd.

A team, like the ones you mentioned above, that is looking for a QB - and a looking to take one in that range.  What they're going to be looking at drafting in the late first or second is a relatively limited prospect.  One lacking in some of the basic skills that a FQB needs.

Now, they're going to ask themselves - What's more likely to be the case?

1) This limited prospect will become a FQB

or

2) Can we fix (he is broken right now) the far superior talent that was saddled with the worst coach and GM in the NFL. 

 

There will be more than 1 team that will view #2 as the better alternative.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

 

2) Can we fix (he is broken right now) the far superior talent that was saddled with the worst coach and GM in the NFL. 

 

There will be more than 1 team that will view #2 as the better alternative.

 

 

The fallacy there is you think Darnold is this unique prospect. He isn't and wasn't at the time. Hell, he was drafted behind Mayfield who himself is nothing special.

Tell me - what makes Darnold so special? His arm isn't rare. He's got decent mobility but not special. Between the ears, he's awful. He can't stay healthy. He's a turnover machine, going back to college. Why am I giving away a premium pick for this guy? Like I said, if you get Darnold for a conditional 3rd or 4th, makes sense as a lotto ticket.

If I'm Lynch/Shanahan - am I giving away the #12 OVR pick for Darnold, knowing he's also in line for a huge extension? That's a fireable offense IMO.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

The fallacy there is you think Darnold is this unique prospect. He isn't and wasn't at the time. Hell, he was drafted behind Mayfield who himself is nothing special.

Tell me - what makes Darnold so special? His arm isn't rare. He's got decent mobility but not special. Between the ears, he's awful. He can't stay healthy. Why am I giving away a premium pick for this guy? Like I said, if you get Darnold for a conditional 3rd or 4th, makes sense as a lotto ticket.

If I'm Lynch/Shanahan - am I giving away the #12 OVR pick for Darnold, knowing he's also in line for a huge extension? That's a fireable offense IMO.

NFL teams and scouts rate QB's (and all prospects for that matter) and Sam (like it or not) graded out very highly by most teams.  He was ranked as a top 3 prospect.  You can say you didn't see him that - and that's fine but the fact is NFL teams did.

Those same GM's, Coaches and Scouts are still in the league 3 years later.  

For instance, the grade they had on Sam will be quite a bit higher than the grade they have on Mac Jones.  If your choice is Mac Jones or Sam Darnold - I can assure you there will be GM's that will prefer Sam.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

 

For instance, the grade they had on Sam will be quite a bit higher than the grade they have on Mac Jones.  If your choice is Mac Jones or Sam Darnold - I can assure you there will be GM's that will prefer Sam.

Again - Darnold's one saving grace is going away. He's going to start getting very expensive soon. A guy drafted this year is cheap for the next 4 years. You can't ignore the fact that he's about to exit his rookie deal, that's a BIG part of the problem(aside from the fact he sucks).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Again - Darnold's one saving grace is going away. He's going to start getting very expensive soon. A guy drafted this year is cheap for the next 4 years. You can't ignore the fact that he's about to exit his rookie deal, that's a BIG part of the problem(aside from the fact he sucks).

 

I guess we'll have to see.  They will eventually trade him, just a matter of what they'll get.  My guess is a first or second.  Your guess is 4th at best.

We shall see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shawn306 said:

You are giving four more years ? You are getting soft. LOL

Sanchez was in the league till he turned 28.  High draft picks get WAY more chances even if they suck.  Case in point:  Sam Bradford.  He stuck with the Rams through the end of his rookie deal (by which time he was 27), then played 4 more years for 3 other teams.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 12:44 PM, Jetluv58 said:

There is something I’m a bit confused about. It seems like at the end of our season, everyone was calling for Sam to get the boot, but  now, his apologists and supporters have come out of the woodwork saying “give him one more chance.” Look, I’m not a hard guy and I know he’s a nice kid and everything, but it’s not like he ever did much to merit further chances. Maybe we just resist change? Or, Watson is getting lumped in with Jamal in the potentially troublesome category? It just seems weird to have new coaches and a fairly new GM and all this draft ammunition and cap space, only to trot out the poster boy for our ineptitude (Sam, not Gase).    On the other hand, I guess we all fear he will go somewhere else and become insta-Brady II or something. I vote for the kid with the glass shoulder.  

I have had the same thought before. So i think that once trevor lawrence was out of the picture the bar for Sam got much lower. Trevor is seen as a "sure thing" while these other guys are more risky 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't imagine Kyle Shanahan wanting Sam Darnold but Robert Saleh and LaFleur not wanting him.  It doesn't seem to make a ton of sense to me that Shanahan would see value in Darnold in his type of offense but the Jets wouldn't.

The 49ers got to the Super Bowl with Garrapolo.  If they trade for Darnold then they see upside to that outcome.  Why wouldn't Saleh/LaFleur see that same kind of value, keep Darnold and then use that #2 pick on other things (Sewell, trading down, etc.)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, peebag said:

How's that Derek Carr working out for you?

Great he was a top 10 Qb this year , out played the best Qb ( Mahomes in both games team played against each other) , and keeps getting better in J Gruden offense.    Big one can read NFL defense- see Sam whose still trying to grasp this skill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Can't imagine Kyle Shanahan wanting Sam Darnold but Robert Saleh and LaFleur not wanting him.  It doesn't seem to make a ton of sense to me that Shanahan would see value in Darnold in his type of offense but the Jets wouldn't.

The 49ers got to the Super Bowl with Garrapolo.  If they trade for Darnold then they see upside to that outcome.  Why wouldn't Saleh/LaFleur see that same kind of value, keep Darnold and then use that #2 pick on other things (Sewell, trading down, etc.)?

Because Darnold is the worst starting QB in the NFL on a expiring contract. Also drafting Sewell = we will eventually have the same problem Baltimore is currently facing. 
 

Regardless of anything Darnold is such a question mark even if he has a turn around season it’s hard to believe he can sustain that level of play. Darnold hasn’t shown anything that would lead anyone to believe he can even reach a JAG level. If the NYJ wanted to keep Sam, why not sign Jamous? He’s basically Darnold with a stronger arm and can actually get the ball into the end zone 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets’ Sam Darnold trade rumors: At least 2 teams ‘in the mix’

Updated 9:03 AM; Today 9:00 AM 
New York Jets vs. Cleveland,  Browns Dec., 27, 2020

The New York Jets might trade quarterback Sam Darnold.Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Facebook Share
Twitter Share

It’s looking more and more like Sam Darnold’s future is not with the New York Jets.

Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline reports “Sources tell me they feel it’s a real possibility the Indianapolis Colts end up with Darnold. Yet, the 49ers will also be in the mix.”

Pauline also reports the latest buzz “is more the result of teams inquiring about Darnold rather than the Jets actively shopping their 2018 first-round pick.”

The Colts are an interesting team to watch. They have a ton of cap space and need a new quarterback following the retirement of Philip Rivers. In addition, Eagles legend Ron Jaworski reports the Colts have offered the Eagles -- at least -- a pair of draft picks for quarterback Carson Wentz.

 

As for the Jets, here are the options for general manager Joe Douglas:

 

1. Keep Darnold and use the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft to build around the QB, with Oregon offensive tackle Penei Sewell and Alabama’s Heisman Trophy-winning wide receiver DeVonta Smith as top options.

2. Keep Darnold and trade the No. 2 pick to move down the draft board and stockpile selections.

 

3. Trade Darnold and use the No. 2 pick on a quarterback, with Ohio State’s Justin Fields and BYU’s Zach Wilson the top options (assuming the Jacksonville Jaguars select Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence at No. 1).

 

4. Trade for disgruntled Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson and include Darnold in the deal.

 

5. Trade for Watson and find a side deal for Darnold.

Colts probably rumored so that they may use as leverage in deal for Wentz. Don't believe everything you read.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...