Quarterbacks now want to run the front office

20andOut

First Deshaun wanted to pick the coach and GM, now Russell Wilson wants to be the GM

From PFT

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson watched Super Bowl LV from the stands after being named the Walter Payton Man of the Year for the 2020 season, but he’d prefer to be on the field for that game in the future.

He’d also like to have more of a voice in the construction of the roster that the team will try to ride to the game. During an appearance on The Dan Patrick Show Tuesday, Wilson was asked if he has much of a voice on that front right now and said “not as much” as he’d like.

Wilson said he thinks those decisions involve the legacy of the team and the player. He said players have a good feel for teammates who love the game and who they can trust, and cited the way the Buccaneers reshaped their roster once they made the move to sign Tom Brady last offseason as an example of how such an approach can work out.

“It think it helps to be involved more. I think that dialogue should happen more often,” Wilson said.

A report on Monday indicated Wilson was particularly unhappy with the team’s pass protection. He took time to compliment teammates like left tackle Duane Brown while saying that it is “important to make sure we do everything we can, including myself” to make sure that there are fewer sacks and disrupted plays because of opposing pass rushes.

The coming weeks will show whether the Seahawks give Wilson more of a voice as he heads into his 10th season. If not, there may be more talk about Wilson heading somewhere with a different way of doing business.

Share this:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 20andOut said:

First Deshaun wanted to pick the coach and GM, now Russell Wilson wants to be the GM

From PFT

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson watched Super Bowl LV from the stands after being named the Walter Payton Man of the Year for the 2020 season, but he’d prefer to be on the field for that game in the future.

He’d also like to have more of a voice in the construction of the roster that the team will try to ride to the game. During an appearance on The Dan Patrick Show Tuesday, Wilson was asked if he has much of a voice on that front right now and said “not as much” as he’d like.

Wilson said he thinks those decisions involve the legacy of the team and the player. He said players have a good feel for teammates who love the game and who they can trust, and cited the way the Buccaneers reshaped their roster once they made the move to sign Tom Brady last offseason as an example of how such an approach can work out.

“It think it helps to be involved more. I think that dialogue should happen more often,” Wilson said.

A report on Monday indicated Wilson was particularly unhappy with the team’s pass protection. He took time to compliment teammates like left tackle Duane Brown while saying that it is “important to make sure we do everything we can, including myself” to make sure that there are fewer sacks and disrupted plays because of opposing pass rushes.

The coming weeks will show whether the Seahawks give Wilson more of a voice as he heads into his 10th season. If not, there may be more talk about Wilson heading somewhere with a different way of doing business.

Share this:

I just get this feeling that in private situations RW is just a complete douchenozzle. He is still an elite QB but quite honestly when they put it all on him as he wanted he sort of failed. Outside of the game he played us he was super mediocre. Just need to tell him you play, the GM will general manage.

• Upvote 4

Come on buddy.
... just making a point....

.... from one Irishman to another ...

I can understand wanting to have your opinion taken into consideration ... but to demand to be traded after the GM went his own way ... runs me the wrong way.

How would Deshawn feel if the GM demanded he ran plays a certain way ... ludicrous right ?

Tbh it's the owners faults for allowing salaries to escalate into the stratosphere.

That kind of money breeds and validates ego.

if he voices his concerns about the oline ... the GM ignores them, and the team flounders because of that ... then the GM gets fired ... the QB doesn't become the GM.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

What does this even mean ?? I mean Manning is better on camera as a goofball ala the Pizza guy ... not sure what you are saying ?

I'd be like ok Jokers .. here are the keys
.. crash and you are done

I took it as he was a superior qb over those guys.

The better q is what are YOU thinking???

Should he be in charge:  No.

Should he have input: Quite possibly, yes.

This is the age-old argument about bosses listening more to employees who are 'down in the trenches.' 

He actually would have a good idea of which guys are worth keeping in free agency, and which other players would be good targets for free agency.  That said, if he actually wants to be GM, retire and take the job.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Should he be in charge:  No.
Should he have input: Quite possibly, yes.
This is the age-old argument about bosses listening more to employees who are 'down in the trenches.' 
He actually would have a good idea of which guys are worth keeping in free agency, and which other players would be good targets for free agency.  That said, if he actually wants to be GM, retire and take the job.
Exactly ... then I'd say 'great idea ... please stand in line with the rest of the candidates we have in considearation'.

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Good to see QB’s finally seeing their value.

If you don’t think Peyton Manning could get whoever he wanted cut from the Colts then you’re f*cking delusional. Pat McAfee said he could get the coach fired overnight if he wanted to. He ran the Colts.

But I guess Manning just had a better look for that job than Wilson or Watson. 

Watson and Wilson’s sack rates are mostly on them though. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, 20andOut said:

From PFT

Share this:

See the source image

• Upvote 1

The NBA "Players run the league" mentality has been migrating into the NFL for a while now.  This is just the expected next step.  

Just wait till NFL players start regularly timing their contracts to all hit FA together and start signing together in one place, a la the NBA.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

The NFL is turning into the NBA which is sad.

Brady wants out of NE they send him to TB and he recruits his buddies like Brown, Gronk, Fournette and basically build a Miami Heat superteam.

Watson wants out

Wilson wants out

Adams whines on twitter and gets dealt

Jalen Ramsey whines and acts like a b!tch and gets sent to the Rams

Wentz is gonna get dealt.

Really sad what the NFL is coming to.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The extent of this should be something like this:

Gm sits down with QB and talks to him about possible FAs they are targeting and what he thinks of them.  (half hour meeting)

coach and Gm sit down with the QB and ask who really stinks on the team and needs to be replaced. (half hour meeting)

but the problem is that, is the Qb going to be willing to do the dirty work and say who he wants gone.

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

If you don’t think Peyton Manning could get whoever he wanted cut from the Colts then you’re f*cking delusional. Pat McAfee said he could get the coach fired overnight if he wanted to. He ran the Colts.

The only FO decision I’m aware of Manning tipping the scales to do is to advocate the hiring of HC Adam Gase.

He can sit on a spike for that one.

So no, he shouldn’t be in on decisions either. Smart QBs don’t necessarily have similar value off the field. I have no problem bouncing something off the QB if the team’s on the fence 50-50 (particularly if it’s a move that directy affects the offense) but no it’s not imperative any of them be in on it, let alone to set a precedent that all such major moves must first flow through the QB.

It may seem harmless now, but if it becomes commonplace it can lead to personal favorites/friends more than what’s actually in the team’s best interest. The last two times the players pushed influence on FO moves were the Gase hiring I mentioned, and bringing back Ryan Fitzpatrick. If you’ve got a bad GM that’s enough without a player compounding the issue. 

Unintended consequences & all that. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, genot said:

That's really not the point. Is it.

I think it is the point.  These guys are taking a beating and getting paid to be the face of the franchise.  

Elite NFL QB's are incredible talented and competitive people.  If they feel the people putting the teams together around them aren't as talented and competitive at some point frustration will boil up.  

Not saying it's right or wrong but these guys are asked to be great, they are asked to represent the Football team and the NFL every day including the offseason and they aren't immune to the fact that franchise values are going through the moon based on the play on the field.  

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The extent of this should be something like this:

Gm sits down with QB and talks to him about possible FAs they are targeting and what he thinks of them.  (half hour meeting)

coach and Gm sit down with the QB and ask who really stinks on the team and needs to be replaced. (half hour meeting)

but the problem is that, is the Qb going to be willing to do the dirty work and say who he wants gone.

Or, is he going to be 100% truthful, or just want his buddies to stay on the team and get paid.

Or, does it create a problem in the locker room when some guy wants to be paid, and it comes out the QB didn't think they were worth it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Agree with this.

Certain fans get so offended by player power. I don’t. 

This is a dangerous sport, not just for your bones, but for your brain. 

Don’t just expect these billion dollar franchises/corporations to have your best interest in mind. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think it is the point.  These guys are taking a beating and getting paid to be the face of the franchise.  

Elite NFL QB's are incredible talented and competitive people.  If they feel the people putting the teams together around them aren't as talented and competitive at some point frustration will boil up.  

Not saying it's right or wrong but these guys are asked to be great, they are asked to represent the Football team and the NFL every day including the offseason and they aren't immune to the fact that franchise values are going through the moon based on the play on the field.  

Biggs. What the hell did DW know about the career of a front office guy in NE.Or a front office guy's career in philly. Joe Douglas. You want a player to be making financial decisions, on behalf of the owner. This is lunacy.

• Upvote 1