Todd McShay: Wilson is a lock to go 2nd overall

GreekJet

7 hours ago, GreekJet said:

McShay seems pretty confident that either Jets take Wilson or trade the pick to a team that wants Wilson. 

My bold prediction is the Jets decide to stick with Darnold and trade back to 6 with the Eagles also getting a 2022 1st and a 2021 3rd round pick or whatever fair compensation is.  Jets grab one of the top 2 WR’s at 6 in Chase or one of the Alabama kids and away we go.

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

image.thumb.jpeg.85708ac5cd932dc3e9a483503d28a2a1.jpeg

Drew Breese is 6’ - he ain’t 6’1

Excellent find, thank you......he looks perfectly physically capable of playing QB in the NFL, there’s nothing stands out there other than he looks like 20 year old athlete who could, and probably will, fill out a bit as a pro. Not a definitive gauge but I say he easily looks 6-2 maybe even 6-3.

It's still very early and I'm still weighing all the options. When I initially watched all the highlights of the QB's coming out for this draft Field's stood out to me.

I started hearing a lot of people talking about Wilson I checked him out. I can see the talent. I just can't get passed the fact that he looks like a kid.

I don't mean an eighteen-year-old kid I mean... like an 11 year old kid.

Like coming out of 7-Eleven with two candy bars and a Snapple and hopping on his bike?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Or...brees is wearing a tighter shirt, and looks leaner against better lighting that creates shadows. 
I used to photoshop my MySpace&Facebook pics to look #ripped in the pre-filter era, so I'm an expert on both bro-science and image embellishment. 

It is Zach Wilson’s post, why would he want to make the other guy look more built?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.. I can see the concern ... it's really a guess at this point. We have to remember that guys out of college always get bigger.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Guys do get bigger in the pros. Endomorphs like Becton have to make an effort to stop from getting too big. I don’t see Wilson getting much bigger, he just doesn’t have the frame for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

It's still very early and I'm still weighing all the options. When I initially watched all the highlights of the QB's coming out for this draft Field's stood out to me.

I started hearing a lot of people talking about Wilson I checked him out. I can see the talent. I just can't get passed the fact that he looks like a kid.

I don't mean an eighteen-year-old kid I mean... like an 11 year old kid.

Like coming out of 7-Eleven with two candy bars and a Snapple and hopping on his bike?

And as another poster recently pointed out....Trevor Lawrence looks like a 16 year old girl, are you able to see past that or will he fail in the NFL as a result?

2C2C9F74-A2E6-4E95-97DE-789735BFD5A4.jpeg

Yeah No.. I just did a close up of that picture with Drew Brees, and he definitely does not look like a leader of men, he doesn't look like he's from New York.

He actually looks like a swirly/wedgie candidate in the boys bathroom in 7th grade. Jesus can't we ever get a guy at quarterback who can grow a beard? Maybe a face tattoo? This guy wouldn't survive a short stay at the precinct!

I may have a twisted sense of humor and I don't know how all of you grew up, but I can't see black dudes not laughing at this guy in the huddle! Lol. Seriously can you see him grabbing Mekhi Becton by the face mask and yelling in his face telling him what to do?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Excellent find, thank you......he looks perfectly physically capable of playing QB in the NFL, there’s nothing stands out there other than he looks like 20 year old athlete who could, and probably will, fill out a bit as a pro. Not a definitive gauge but I say he easily looks 6-2 maybe even 6-3.

They should really measure a QB’s eyes height. What use is anything north of that, that couldn’t be fixed with a bulkier helmet or poofier hair lol?

Height of eyes and height of release point. Don’t know about how he/they compare for the latter, but from this picture his eyes look a good 3” higher than Brees.

Anything else is just a reason to say Aaron Rodgers is too short because he’s just 6’2” tall and clearly isn’t the type who seems more imposing in person either (not even to someone Rodgers said is just 5’7).

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They should really measure a QB’s eyes height. What use is anything north of that, that couldn’t be fixed with a bulkier helmet or poofier hair lol?

Height of eyes and height of release point. Don’t know about how he/they compare for the latter, but from this picture his eyes look a good 3” higher than Brees.

Anything else is just a reason to say Aaron Rodgers is too short because he’s just 6’2” tall and clearly isn’t the type who seems more imposing in person either (not even to someone Rodgers said is just 5’7).

It’s a long old offseason when we’ve reached the point of discussing a prospects eye-height in early February....god help us all ?

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He's way more athletic than he gets credit for. He does not scare me at all. I think he will be a franchise QB in the NFL. Just too much talent

Me too. From the film evaluations this guy can quickly scan the field, look off the safety, deliver with zip, touch and accuracy. I could care less if the guy is an elite athlete - although I think he is. You pick a QB based on his arm talent and ability to go through his reads quickly and understand what is going on in front of him. Anything else is just gravy. Too many guys have the other stuff and not the vision and acumen. I wonder how Brady tested at the combine athletically? Teams should know better by now.

4 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I want to know if the shoulder surgery / injury risk is overblown and I’d like to see him check in at a solid 6-2 220....I think that would surprise a lot of the critics who insist he’s not physically imposing enough to pay QB in the NFL and be a successful FQB. It’s interesting looking at him as he doesn’t look bulky or a physical beast like a Josh Allen does but he also doesn’t look tiny, it’s hard to gauge looking at him in the huddle whether or not he measures up to a guy like Rodgers or even Darnold physically or if he’s closer to a skinny Mayfield.

if he’s 6-1, 210ish it’s not a deal breaker but I think I definitely get more nervous with him at 2 overall but in terms of talent I don’t know how anyone can watch him and not be wowed. His measurements will be critical for him.

Incidentally it’s interesting how Wilson gets all the questions about his physique, nobody seems to be bothered that Lawrence is a stick insect out there ....Mike Glennon without the neck!

He has a proportionate frame which makes him look shorter I think than he actually is. He looks bigger to me than Brees and Murray and Wilson, similar to Mayfield. That said I knew Brees a little bit when he was here in San Diego and he does not sniff 5"11" or whatever he is listed as. But I do agree his height/weight will be important.

In terms of the shoulders it seems to me to be a binary decision. Either he passes the physical or he doesn't. Brees played for 15 years after a much worse Labrum issue so I am not really concerned. If he had a history of getting banged up and soft tissue injuries I think it would be more concerning.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

He has a proportionate frame which makes him look shorter I think than he actually is. He looks bigger to me than Brees and Murray and Wilson, similar to Mayfield. That said I knew Brees a little bit when he was here in San Diego and he does not sniff 5"11" or whatever he is listed as. But I do agree his height/weight will be important.

In terms of the shoulders it seems to me to be a binary decision. Either he passes the physical or he doesn't. Brees played for 15 years after a much worse Labrum issue so I am not really concerned. If he had a history of getting banged up and soft tissue injuries I think it would be more concerning.

In college programs they often fudge the measurements, but he measured 72.3" at the combine.  That's in front of 100's of people, and no reason to lie.

It is what it is.  Brees is a little over 6'

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And 5'10 207 pound Kyler Murray was the 1st pick in the draft.. 

• Upvote 1

I'm noticing the Wilson hype is starting to go through the roof...comparing him to Mahomes, Watson, and Allen and how he's now the clear cut number 2 overall pick.  This will increase our pick value at 2 but also the Darnold hate on these boards.  The next few months should be fun. lol

Like with Fields, people thought there was a risk drafting Mahomes, Watson, Allen and Jackson.  Look where they are drafted, and look where they ended up.

FWIW, those guys are all built like elite athletes.  QBs picked higher, with maybe better optical QBing-Mayfield, Darnold (athletic, not elite), Rosen, Trubisky-now not so much.   Maybe we can say the same thing about Mariota, Winston and now Tua-athletic, not elite.

But I don't think JD is going to reach for an elite athlete with QB flaws at 2.  No one does.  

Wilsons mother is a personal trainer, and his father is a former college DT.  Look at their pictures-both parents are built very solid.  I don't get the Zach Wilson thing, other than the fact that it has been reported he is on ADHD medication, which makes it hard to put weight on.

But there is no Myles Garrett or Joe Thomas sitting there at 2.  If I had the choice of keeping my draft picks, getting another and not paying Darnold $20+mm next year, and trying my luck on Zach Wilson for an average of cap hit of $8mm+ year for four years, I think that is it.

I do note that Zach Wilson was trained since almost birth to be a QB.  Darnold played LB, basketball, and boogieboarded.  And I like Darnold.

But if JD does not buy into Wilson, he has other options but should trade the pick to someone who wants Wilson.  That has its own peril, if Wilson ends up good.

You can see how the GMs get caught up in the press.  That is why Mac drafted Darnold.  Even today, no one is holding drafting Darnold against Mac-there are so many other things to hold against Mac.  If the bandwagon gets going behind Wilson, a typical GM would draft him and not want him being successful somewhere else.