Todd McShay: Wilson is a lock to go 2nd overall

GreekJet

50 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
As @McShay13 noted on @GetUpESPN, BYU QB Zach Wilson was not a team captain. Players voted for eight captains for the 2020 season — four offense, four defense. Wilson was part of the “leadership council,” but not a captain. Red flag? #Jets

Eek. Not great.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:
As @McShay13 noted on @GetUpESPN, BYU QB Zach Wilson was not a team captain. Players voted for eight captains for the 2020 season — four offense, four defense. Wilson was part of the “leadership council,” but not a captain. Red flag? #Jets

I’m not going to lie.

I don’t like that.  At all.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, bitonti said:

As a general rule scouts do not like players who have other options. If Wilson does not like coach Saleh for example he can just leave. It's not like he needs the money. He can live a life of luxury and peace anytime he wants. That's not the profile of most nfl players. A guy like Sewell has like a town full of people who look at him for support and when it comes time to take a needle or play through his next injury, a guy like wilson could just say no. The NFL demands a lot of sacrifice. 

In fairness there was one really wealthy qb: Carson Palmers family owned the Beverly hills back when really was just hills. That's a different level of wealth. He's worth 100 million dollars before he played a down. Every offseason his family would beg him to quit. But he loved it too much. Wilson might be another Carson palmer but the Palmers were very old money by California standards. guys like that are the exception to the rule. I don't know wilson personally but others do and he's not Carson palmer 

One of the least appreciated really good QB's ever.

On 2/10/2021 at 1:03 AM, GreekJet said:

McShay seems pretty confident that either Jets take Wilson or trade the pick to a team that wants Wilson. 

Well, Fields sucks, so you do the math. Wilson comes out of nowhere and mows down the competition and Fields who's SUPPOSED to be the big name gets torched against Indiana, Northwestern, and Alabama. Just like I said months ago I wouldn't touch Fields with a 10 foot pole at 2. 4th or 5th round? So we can give him a tryout and see if he's good at other things besides QB? Hell yeah! I think he's a good athlete that could possibly run a Seminole type facet of our offense? But giving up the 2nd overall makes you an idiot, pure and simple....

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

He was not a senior.   BYU doesn't lose a whole lot of guys to the NFL.

Nothing to see here.

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They’re both probably 6’2 and change, but I highly doubt Wilson is 6’1.

Wilson is 6'3" and will be proved out to be 6'3" at the combine. 

The has already been proven to be true so many times already - but multiple height comparisons to NFL guys.

If you don't like Wilson so be it, but don't like him for real reasons.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Wilson is 6'3" and will be proved out to be 6'3" at the combine. 

The has already been proven to be true so many times already - but multiple height comparisons to NFL guys.

If you don't like Wilson so be it, but don't like him for real reasons.

Well, there is no combine this year, but I’m sure he’ll hit that number or be close to it when teams see him at BYU’s pro day lol.  The only size concerns I have with him are his frame, and he can definitely put weight on in an NFL program. 

The “Captain” thing bothers me a little bit, but JD will have to sort that out.  I know you mentioned the whole “he wasn’t a Senior” point, but they did choose a Junior RB over him.  That’s weird.

• Upvote 1

I think the knock on Wilson that hes a rich kid is kind of dumb/unfair. The Mannings, the Longs, Christian McAffrey, Andrew Luck, and Clay Matthews are all "three car garage" kids as Wilsons nay-sayers claim. If the kid can play I don't really care if he went to a private high school. 

That being said, it is a little bit weird a third year starter at the QB position wouldn't be a captain. When the initial reports came out that Wilson was kind of a dick a lot of his teammates came to bat for him on social media saying hes a great guy. If Wilson is a little prick I don't necessarily think that'll mean it'll isolate his teammates, especially when he is on his rookie deal. Jay Cutler is a dick and he had a lot of good years in Denver and Chicago. However, if the kid is a prima donna I can see it hurting the Jets down the road as it pertains to contract negotiation, and how the kid reacts when he is established and things aren't perfect (potentially calling teammates out). This seems like it should be pretty easy to figure out by the Jets via due diligence, but as the team is not exactly on the verge of being a contender, I would have some slight apprehension about Wilson if he was labeled as thin skinned. I have Wilson as 2a and Fields as 2b and I would be happy with either. When you have two relatively equal prospects (if thats how the Jets evaluate them) - I think these are the types of factors that act as differentiators. If Fields wasn't in this class - or if the Jets have Wilson way ahead of the other QBs you just suck it up and hope its not an issue. But if all else is equal I'd vote for the guy whose not an a$$hole (if he indeed is! Which I doubt).  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I think the knock on Wilson that hes a rich kid is kind of dumb/unfair. The Mannings, the Longs, Christian McAffrey, Andrew Luck, and Clay Matthews are all "three car garage" kids as Wilsons nay-sayers claim. If the kid can play I don't really care if he went to a private high school. 

Well the Mannings, Longs, McCaffery, and Matthews were all the sons of NFL players, which changes the "rich kid" dynamic a little bit -- and Andrew Luck just walked off the job because he need or care about football enough which is exactly one of the things that scares evaluators about "rich kids."

That being said, it is a little bit weird a third year starter at the QB position wouldn't be a captain. When the initial reports came out that Wilson was kind of a dick a lot of his teammates came to bat for him on social media saying hes a great guy. If Wilson is a little prick I don't necessarily think that'll mean it'll isolate his teammates, especially when he is on his rookie deal. Jay Cutler is a dick and he had a lot of good years in Denver and Chicago. However, if the kid is a prima donna I can see it hurting the Jets down the road as it pertains to contract negotiation, and how the kid reacts when he is established and things aren't perfect (potentially calling teammates out). This seems like it should be pretty easy to figure out by the Jets via due diligence, but as the team is not exactly on the verge of being a contender, I would have some slight apprehension about Wilson if he was labeled as thin skinned. I have Wilson as 2a and Fields as 2b and I would be happy with either. When you have two relatively equal prospects (if thats how the Jets evaluate them) - I think these are the types of factors that act as differentiators. If Fields wasn't in this class - or if the Jets have Wilson way ahead of the other QBs you just suck it up and hope its not an issue. But if all else is equal I'd vote for the guy whose not an a$$hole (if he indeed is! Which I doubt).  

It's weird that he wasn't a captain. I looked it up because at first I thought maybe the captains were all seniors but they weren't -- there were three junior captains on offense. It's not the biggest deal... But it's odd.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

@Paradis

• Thumb Down 1

Zach Wilson’s workout coaches predicted BYU quarterback’s prowess last summer

NFL draft experts breaking down Wilson as a No. 2 pick see what his coaches saw during summer 2020

By Dick Harmon, Columnist@Harmonwrites  Feb 11, 2021, 12:01pm MST

BYU quarterback Zach Wilson (1) delivers a pass as BYU and Boise State play a college football game at Albertsons Stadium in Boise on Friday, Nov. 6, 2020. The coaches who worked out Zach Wilson (1) last summer saw what skills the BYU quarterback was developing, and now the NFL draft experts are beginning to point out the same things in the lead-up to April’s draft.  Scott G Winterton, Deseret News

Offseason pandemic workout descriptions of Zach Wilson have proved prophetic if not downright scary.

Back in the summer, Dave Stroshine, founder of STROformance, an athletic workout facility in Pleasant Grove, explained how the BYU junior quarterback hadn’t missed a workout. And as a personal trainer, he saw Wilson specifically work on his ability to move around the pocket and enhance his game — just be more athletic — like Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers.

Around the same time, John Beck, Wilson’s throw coach in Southern California, explained how Wilson was working on his core, that he knew today’s QBs like Mahomes showed how effective it was to be able to make awkward throws, and that by practicing them, he could perfect them.

These two gurus, whom Wilson trusted his career to, are, well, kind of oracles as we now listen to evaluations coming in from NFL draft experts.

ESPN’s Todd McShay now has Wilson the No. 2 pick in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft.

The Draft Network analyst Ryan Fowler agrees: “Some may say Wilson’s rise was due to his feasting on substandard competition. Others argue his style of play won’t last. To those critics, turn on the All-22 film and let me know what you see. 

“Wilson has every tool in the shed, and his NFL-ready game will soon rejuvenate an NFL franchise back to relevance.”

Here’s a segment from Stroshine last summer:

“Zach is up to 210 pounds and is in the best shape of his life,” said Stroshine. “He has been strengthening his shoulder after having surgery. He has come in here, but has also spent time with John Beck in California.

“Wilson came in the other day and shared videos of his throwing with Beck, but he also asked me to notice his hops. He’s never been able to jump and run like he’s doing right now. He’s doing windmill dunks,” said Stroshine. “He said in high school he was barely able to get the ball over the rim for a dunk and now he’s windmilling them.

“His arm has never felt better and stronger and he’s been able to develop his athleticism. He’s set a goal to be more able to compete at that position at a level where the game has evolved. I mean the game now is utilizing the talents of Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson in different ways.

“He wants to be one of those kinds of competitors and it’s been fun to watch him work toward getting there,” Stroshine concluded.

And here is a text from Beck to me this fall when I asked how Wilson had transformed since his surgery in the winter of 2020.

“Zach dedicated himself like crazy this offseason to make difficult throws easier,” Beck said. “Those things take time and he put in the work. I think being healthy for the first time gave him time to work on those things. That’s what Zach did in the offseason.”

Flash forward to this week.

Here are some comments from Ryan Clark, a former NFL safety and founder of DB Precision, on an NFL draft panel discussing McShay’s projection of Wilson being the No. 2 pick and the popular comparisons of Wilson to some current NFL superstars.

Clark says teams are not going to wait on Wilson in a draft with other quarterback prospects like Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence and Ohio State’s Justin Fields — all predicted to go at the top.

“Listen, David Pollock came on this show and he started throwing out names like Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes. And I was like, man, Dave is trippin. He needs to start eating some carbs, you know, dude ain’t had carbs in six years and sometimes that can mess with your head,” said Clark. “Now I start looking at this draft and you got four quarterbacks going at the top, we didn’t see them in ’04. We didn’t see three go at the top, and those dudes, Eli Manning (No. 1), Philip Rivers (No. 4), and Ben Roethlisberger (No. 11), and they might be Hall of Famers.

“When we think about Dan Marino and Jim Kelly in that draft with John Elway those guys didn’t go four the top (in the first round), so now I’m really starting to think about if this was the Four Horsemen in the WWE — Trevor Lawrence wouldn’t be Ric Flair, it would be Zach Wilson. Zach Wilson is that dude and so I started to watch some of the things, some of the off-balance throws. You see some of the arm talent, while he’s moving up in the pocket he’s getting outside and throwing back across his body, and now you start to see some of that, some Patrick Mahomes and Aaron (Rodgers).” 

REPORT AD

And then Clark makes his point.

“And I say to myself, nobody’s gonna want to wait to 10. They’re not going to trade up if you’re Kansas City, nobody’s going to wait to the mid-20s, the way that the Green Bay Packers did for Aaron Rodgers,” Clark said. “So it doesn’t matter that he went to BYU. I don’t think it matters that he has some injury concerns because when you watch this dude play, you understand that he makes plays that other guys in college can’t, and that’s including Trevor Lawrence.

“There’s a play from this season that Daniel Jeremiah posted, where he (Wilson) steps up into the pocket, he throws into double coverage and the football hits his wide receiver in the face mask. Doesn’t that remind you of a dude that just put on a show, even though he was under siege from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive line? Zach Wilson is that dude and I think he will go No. 2.”

And there you have it.

Wilson last played in a record-breaking performance in the Boca Raton Bowl in Florida but his film is in the vault.

Now the NFL carnivores are devouring his film.

What they’re seeing is what Beck and Stroshine saw Wilson working on last summer when we were all quarantined and wondering if there was enough toilet paper at Costco.

On 2/10/2021 at 8:27 AM, Warfish said:

Still not a fan.  And I didn't realize he was a short guy too (and he clearly is, seeing him next to 5'10" in real life Drew Brees, lol).

Brees is 6ft...and Wilson is easily 3 inches taller in that photo

The guy is 6'3" let's just stop with this...

Born: January 15, 1979 (age 42 years), Dallas, TX
Height: 6′ 0″
Spouse: Brittany Brees (m. 2003)
Hand size: 10¼-inch

58 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Brees is 6ft...and Wilson is easily 3 inches taller in that photo

The guy is 6'3" let's just stop with this...

Born: January 15, 1979 (age 42 years), Dallas, TX
Height: 6′ 0″
Spouse: Brittany Brees (m. 2003)
Hand size: 10¼-inch

Lol, as if no one (especially at QB) ever fudged their height numbers a little for appearances.  

And when did Drew Brees become evidence that every other short QB will work out in the NFL?

Listen, if you love Wilson (and it clearly seems you do), you don't care how tall he is past a certain point.  So why get worked up. 

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lol, as if no one (especially at QB) ever fudged their height numbers a little for appearances.  

And when did Drew Brees become evidence that every other short QB will work out in the NFL?

Listen, if you love Wilson (and it clearly seems you do), you don't care how tall he is past a certain point.  So why get worked up. 

He looks 3 inches taller than Brees - seems pretty clear and tough to dispute.

If you want to say Brees is lying, so be it.  I think that's unlikely - but maybe everyone's lying.  

Yes, I like Wilson - And I wish people would make legitimate arguments as to why they don't.  What I hear is the following...

1) He's 6 ft (well pretty much ALL indications outside this board is that he's 6'3") with photo evidence to support it

2) He looks like a girl (this seems to be the main reason most people don't want him)

3) He's a Mormon

4) He played weak competition (BYU finished the season 11th in the country - it's not like he's playing D2 or something.  It's a legitimate program that played at a very high level)

5) Injury prone (He's missed a grand total of 3 games in 3 seasons as BYU's starting QB)

I've heard close to no one actually watch the film and give me a football reason why they don't like him.  Look at his skill-set, watch his film, watch the throws, see the way he scans the field - and then tell me why you don't like him and I would love to have that debate - a legitimate back and forth about the player....

But all this other stuff is just full-on non-sense....

So yes, every time someone makes one of these dumb claims I'm going to push back on them because they're stupid, wrong, outright lies or bigoted.

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Well, there is no combine this year, but I’m sure he’ll hit that number or be close to it when teams see him at BYU’s pro day lol.  The only size concerns I have with him are his frame, and he can definitely put weight on in an NFL program. 

The “Captain” thing bothers me a little bit, but JD will have to sort that out.  I know you mentioned the whole “he wasn’t a Senior” point, but they did choose a Junior RB over him.  That’s weird.

the captain thing is not true...not sure where he got that from

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

After looking into it a bit more it looks like the Juniors were Redshirt Juniors and have been on the roster since 2017.  Zach Wilson arrived on campus in 2018. 

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He looks 3 inches taller than Brees - seems pretty clear and tough to dispute.

Doesn't to me. 

And it doesn't matter that much either.  I presume he'll get a measurement for the league when whatever stand-in-for-the-combine occurs.

If you want to say Brees is lying, so be it.  I think that's unlikely - but maybe everyone's lying.  

Cool story.  People lie (or more accurately, fudge a little) their numbers all the time.  Or do you think every massive 350 pound fatty O-line is REALLY the 295 pounds they claim on their official sites?  Lol, come on man.  Don't be so naïve.

Yes, I like Wilson - And I wish people would make legitimate arguments as to why they don't.  What I hear is the following...

Legitimate or not isn't up to you, just say'in.   

1) He's 6 ft (well pretty much ALL indications outside this board is that he's 6'3") with photo evidence to support it

He's not 6'5", 250.  He's 6'2" and 210. 

A lot of folks like big, tall QB's, not shorter, smaller QB's.  I don't think that's illegitimate to raise for fans of bigger QB's in todays NFL.

2) He looks like a girl (this seems to be the main reason most people don't want him)

He does.  In pictures, he has a very odd look about him, admittedly.

3) He's a Mormon

Could care less unless if effects his play or preparation.  

4) He played weak competition (BYU finished the season 11th in the country - it's not like he's playing D2 or something.  It's a legitimate program that played at a very high level)

Anyone can look it up for themselves.  I think you're evaluation is far too friendly tbqh. 

He played alot of 2nd rate, 2nd tier schools/teams in his 3-years time.  And he lost to some of them prior to 2020.

5) Injury prone (He's missed a grand total of 3 games in 3 seasons as BYU's starting QB)

Ok.  

I've heard close to no one actually watch the film and give me a football reason why they don't like him.  Look at his skill-set, watch his film, watch the throws, see the way he scans the field - and then tell me why you don't like him and I would love to have that debate - a legitimate back and forth about the player....

I've watched a few Youtubes, and I'm not seeing in that admittedly shallow analysis the clear cut stud you are.  His throws don't look special, especially prior to 2020. 

And I'd question any fan watching YouTubes claiming they really see "how well he scans the field" or other such detailed intricacies.  Fans constantly overrate their own understanding of such things.  It's a great example of the Dunning–Kruger effect.   I instantly discount 99% of fans when they start pretending they're life-long NFL QB Coaches with intricate knowledge of QB mechanics.  Hell, most of those dudes have never even thrown a football in a actual football game at any level, much less know what they think they do about QB mechanics and decision making.

I'm also looking at Wilson's 2018 and 2019 production, and seeing a guy who was a one-year-wonder in 2020.  He was pretty unproductive prior to this year.  

But all this other stuff is just full-on non-sense....

So yes, every time someone makes one of these dumb claims I'm going to push back on them because they're stupid, wrong, outright lies or bigoted.

You do you my friend.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Doesn't to me. 

And it doesn't matter that much either.  I presume he'll get a measurement for the league when whatever stand-in-for-the-combine occurs.

Cool story.  People lie (or more accurately, fudge a little) their numbers all the time.  Or do you think every massive 350 pound fatty O-line is REALLY the 295 pounds they claim on their official sites?  Lol, come on man.  Don't be so naïve.

Legitimate or not isn't up to you, just say'in.   

He's not 6'5", 250.  He's 6'2" and 210. 

A lot of folks like big, tall QB's, not shorter, smaller QB's.  I don't think that's illegitimate to raise for fans of bigger QB's in todays NFL.

He does.  In pictures, he has a very odd look about him, admittedly.

Could care less unless if effects his play or preparation.  

Anyone can look it up for themselves.  I think you're evaluation is far too friendly tbqh. 

He played alot of 2nd rate, 2nd tier schools/teams in his 3-years time.  And he lost to some of them prior to 2020.

Ok.  

I've watched a few Youtubes, and I'm not seeing in that admittedly shallow analysis the clear cut stud you are.  His throws don't look special, especially prior to 2020. 

And I'd question any fan watching YouTubes claiming they really see "how well he scans the field" or other such detailed intricacies.  Fans constantly overrate their own understanding of such things.  It's a great example of the Dunning–Kruger effect.   I instantly discount 99% of fans when they start pretending they're life-long NFL QB Coaches with intricate knowledge of QB mechanics.  Hell, most of those dudes have never even thrown a football in a actual football game at any level, much less know what they think they do about QB mechanics and decision making.

I'm also looking at Wilson's 2018 and 2019 production, and seeing a guy who was a one-year-wonder in 2020.  He was pretty unproductive prior to this year.  

You do you my friend.

I can say, I don't know to do the quote by quote thing you did.  I def. need to learn but I'll leave this with a couple of comments.

Yes, what is legitimate is up to me if people are using things like him being a Mormon or that he looks like a girl as reasons to not draft him.  There is nothing legitimate about that.

You can find every game, in full, on YouTube - edited so it moves quickly and you can see every throw and understand situational play as well...I've watched multiple games of him and fields like this.  I hope to be able to do all of them by the draft...of the two of them.  

I really don't care what he did in '18 and '19 - I'm not looking at his wins or losses or even his stats.  I'm simply looking at his skill-set - right now - and how that will translate to the NFL  

Obviously we disagree and that's fine so I'll leave it here.  We all want what's best - well most of us :-)  

I have no affinity for the kid whatsoever other than I think he'll give us the best chance to win.  That is my sole motivation.

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Zach Wilson’s workout coaches predicted BYU quarterback’s prowess last summer

NFL draft experts breaking down Wilson as a No. 2 pick see what his coaches saw during summer 2020

By Dick Harmon, Columnist@Harmonwrites  Feb 11, 2021, 12:01pm MST

BYU quarterback Zach Wilson (1) delivers a pass as BYU and Boise State play a college football game at Albertsons Stadium in Boise on Friday, Nov. 6, 2020. The coaches who worked out Zach Wilson (1) last summer saw what skills the BYU quarterback was developing, and now the NFL draft experts are beginning to point out the same things in the lead-up to April’s draft.  Scott G Winterton, Deseret News

Offseason pandemic workout descriptions of Zach Wilson have proved prophetic if not downright scary.

Back in the summer, Dave Stroshine, founder of STROformance, an athletic workout facility in Pleasant Grove, explained how the BYU junior quarterback hadn’t missed a workout. And as a personal trainer, he saw Wilson specifically work on his ability to move around the pocket and enhance his game — just be more athletic — like Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers.

Around the same time, John Beck, Wilson’s throw coach in Southern California, explained how Wilson was working on his core, that he knew today’s QBs like Mahomes showed how effective it was to be able to make awkward throws, and that by practicing them, he could perfect them.

These two gurus, whom Wilson trusted his career to, are, well, kind of oracles as we now listen to evaluations coming in from NFL draft experts.

ESPN’s Todd McShay now has Wilson the No. 2 pick in the first round of the 2021 NFL draft.

The Draft Network analyst Ryan Fowler agrees: “Some may say Wilson’s rise was due to his feasting on substandard competition. Others argue his style of play won’t last. To those critics, turn on the All-22 film and let me know what you see. 

“Wilson has every tool in the shed, and his NFL-ready game will soon rejuvenate an NFL franchise back to relevance.”

Here’s a segment from Stroshine last summer:

“Zach is up to 210 pounds and is in the best shape of his life,” said Stroshine. “He has been strengthening his shoulder after having surgery. He has come in here, but has also spent time with John Beck in California.

“Wilson came in the other day and shared videos of his throwing with Beck, but he also asked me to notice his hops. He’s never been able to jump and run like he’s doing right now. He’s doing windmill dunks,” said Stroshine. “He said in high school he was barely able to get the ball over the rim for a dunk and now he’s windmilling them.

“His arm has never felt better and stronger and he’s been able to develop his athleticism. He’s set a goal to be more able to compete at that position at a level where the game has evolved. I mean the game now is utilizing the talents of Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson in different ways.

“He wants to be one of those kinds of competitors and it’s been fun to watch him work toward getting there,” Stroshine concluded.

And here is a text from Beck to me this fall when I asked how Wilson had transformed since his surgery in the winter of 2020.

“Zach dedicated himself like crazy this offseason to make difficult throws easier,” Beck said. “Those things take time and he put in the work. I think being healthy for the first time gave him time to work on those things. That’s what Zach did in the offseason.”

Flash forward to this week.

Here are some comments from Ryan Clark, a former NFL safety and founder of DB Precision, on an NFL draft panel discussing McShay’s projection of Wilson being the No. 2 pick and the popular comparisons of Wilson to some current NFL superstars.

Clark says teams are not going to wait on Wilson in a draft with other quarterback prospects like Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence and Ohio State’s Justin Fields — all predicted to go at the top.

“Listen, David Pollock came on this show and he started throwing out names like Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes. And I was like, man, Dave is trippin. He needs to start eating some carbs, you know, dude ain’t had carbs in six years and sometimes that can mess with your head,” said Clark. “Now I start looking at this draft and you got four quarterbacks going at the top, we didn’t see them in ’04. We didn’t see three go at the top, and those dudes, Eli Manning (No. 1), Philip Rivers (No. 4), and Ben Roethlisberger (No. 11), and they might be Hall of Famers.

“When we think about Dan Marino and Jim Kelly in that draft with John Elway those guys didn’t go four the top (in the first round), so now I’m really starting to think about if this was the Four Horsemen in the WWE — Trevor Lawrence wouldn’t be Ric Flair, it would be Zach Wilson. Zach Wilson is that dude and so I started to watch some of the things, some of the off-balance throws. You see some of the arm talent, while he’s moving up in the pocket he’s getting outside and throwing back across his body, and now you start to see some of that, some Patrick Mahomes and Aaron (Rodgers).” 

REPORT AD

And then Clark makes his point.

“And I say to myself, nobody’s gonna want to wait to 10. They’re not going to trade up if you’re Kansas City, nobody’s going to wait to the mid-20s, the way that the Green Bay Packers did for Aaron Rodgers,” Clark said. “So it doesn’t matter that he went to BYU. I don’t think it matters that he has some injury concerns because when you watch this dude play, you understand that he makes plays that other guys in college can’t, and that’s including Trevor Lawrence.

“There’s a play from this season that Daniel Jeremiah posted, where he (Wilson) steps up into the pocket, he throws into double coverage and the football hits his wide receiver in the face mask. Doesn’t that remind you of a dude that just put on a show, even though he was under siege from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive line? Zach Wilson is that dude and I think he will go No. 2.”

And there you have it.

Wilson last played in a record-breaking performance in the Boca Raton Bowl in Florida but his film is in the vault.

Now the NFL carnivores are devouring his film.

What they’re seeing is what Beck and Stroshine saw Wilson working on last summer when we were all quarantined and wondering if there was enough toilet paper at Costco.

I think as we get closer to the draft there’s going to be a lot of people saying : Hmm this kid could be better then Lawrence. Maybe he should go 1. 

Although it seems the board is mostly for Fields. We can certainly agree the best thing for the Jets is for the above to happen and be a clear separation between Wilson and Fields etc.    Or let’s say fields separating himself from the rest. 

That happens and our trade offers in a trade down would be better. It also IMO locks in Deshaun. The Texans are going to want to pick their QB if they are trading him. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I can say, I don't know to do the quote by quote thing you did.  I def. need to learn but I'll leave this with a couple of comments.

Glad to pass that along.  Basicly, when you quote me, you put your cursor in my post, and hit return a couple times.  It should break my quote up into two seperate quotes sections, if it works right.  Sometimes it takes three returns, but it usually works.  Then you cite respond to each point individually (which is why I do it, I think hitting point for point is a good way to exchange ideas more clearly).

Yes, what is legitimate is up to me if people are using things like him being a Mormon or that he looks like a girl as reasons to not draft him.  There is nothing legitimate about that.

Ok, those two are fair enough.

I really don't care what he did in '18 and '19 - I'm not looking at his wins or losses or even his stats.  I'm simply looking at his skill-set - right now - and how that will translate to the NFL  

That viewpoint concerns me,  He is not just what he was in 2020.  He is all of his resume.  To ignore 2/3 of it speaks to a strong recency bias.  It's akin to only judging a player by his final game, not his full season.  I think it's a questionable evaluation methodology, especially at QB.

Obviously we disagree and that's fine so I'll leave it here.  We all want what's best - well most of us :-)  

Oh, I think all of us here want the same thing, a Jets Title.    

I have no affinity for the kid whatsoever other than I think he'll give us the best chance to win.  That is my sole motivation.

All I;d say is that who gives us the best chance to win is not so clear cut as all that, certainly not today.  But yes, of course you are entitled to you own opinion.  I just don't see what you seem to.  Especially when it comes to the competition he played and his full unredacted resume to-date.

• Upvote 1

sorry if this was mentioned already, i wasnt going to read all 240 posts. but he was on the Michael Kay Show today and they were talking about this and he said that next years QB class is not as good as this one. so if the Jets want to go one more year with Darnold and hes still bad there not getting a QB next year. 

On 2/13/2021 at 7:12 AM, doitny said:

sorry if this was mentioned already, i wasnt going to read all 240 posts. but he was on the Michael Kay Show today and they were talking about this and he said that next years QB class is not as good as this one. so if the Jets want to go one more year with Darnold and hes still bad there not getting a QB next year. 

This year’s draft class is pretty bad.  After Trevor who is getting a craptastic coaching staff in Jacksonville the only decent nfl qb is going to be Mac Jones