Quinnen Williams named Jets' most improved 2020 player by Pro Football Focus

Bronx

Congrats QW!

Now that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are officially Super Bowl LV champions and the NFL offseason is upon us, all 32 teams are now full speed ahead looking at the upcoming season.

But before turning the page completely to 2021, Pro Football Focus took one look back at last season to see which individual players took the biggest leap forward, and when it came to the Jets, it shouldn’t be much of surprised that the team’s most improved player was Quinnen Williams.

PFF’s Ben Linsey writes of Williams:

Considering the extent to which Williams dominated college football in his final season at Alabama, his rookie season in New York could very definitely be classified as a disappointment. Sometimes, it just takes a year or two for young players in the trenches to acclimate, though. That seems to have been the case for Williams.

He improved his PFF grade from 67.4 as a rookie in 2019 to 81.4 in 2020, the biggest jump coming from his impact as a pass-rusher. Williams more than doubled his pressure count from 2019, and his 16 combined quarterback hits and sacks came in at 10 more than his mark the prior season. Expect big things from the former first-round pick moving forward.

Williams, who turned 23 in December, indeed took a huge step forward as a pass-rusher in 2020, upping his sack total to 7.0 in 13 games, compared to his 2.5 quarterback takedowns in 2019.

Getting to the quarterback is never going to tell the whole story to Williams' game, though, as it’s just as important for him to be a stout run-stopper while constantly moving the line of scrimmage, whether the play is a run or a pass.

With Marcus Maye an impending free agent, Williams is arguably the most important young defender under contract for New York heading into next season, and if he can once again up his production in his third season the way he did in his second, it could be a long year for opposing offenses.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

It’s hard to argue that the media should respect him when the majority or Jets fans did nothing but take shots at him until the middle of the season.

Sorry what?

1) Like the media gives a crap what your average Jets fan thinks.

2) Who is the 'majority of jets fans'? Do you personally know the majority of Jets fans? or is this a baseless generalisation to somehow prove your point?

3 minutes ago, Nick Blitz said:

Sorry what?

1) Like the media gives a crap what your average Jets fan thinks.

2) Who is the 'majority of jets fans'? Do you personally know the majority of Jets fans? or is this a baseless generalisation to somehow prove your point?

QW was getting barbecued by the entire fanbase up until a couple months ago

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Well done QW, great to see him live up to his billing and at only just 23 still young enough to become even more of a dominant presence. With Q in the middle of the line, the return(hopefully) of a fully fit, fully committed and back to his all-pro best(hopefully) CJ Mosley and the resigning(hopefully) of Marcus Maye we actually have a very strong spine down the core of our defence. Adding a flourish or two at edge, LB or CB and there’s something to work with there for Saleh and Jeff Ulbrich.

it’s critical we bring Maye back 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bronx said:

Congrats QW!

Now that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are officially Super Bowl LV champions and the NFL offseason is upon us, all 32 teams are now full speed ahead looking at the upcoming season.

But before turning the page completely to 2021, Pro Football Focus took one look back at last season to see which individual players took the biggest leap forward, and when it came to the Jets, it shouldn’t be much of surprised that the team’s most improved player was Quinnen Williams.

PFF’s Ben Linsey writes of Williams:

Considering the extent to which Williams dominated college football in his final season at Alabama, his rookie season in New York could very definitely be classified as a disappointment. Sometimes, it just takes a year or two for young players in the trenches to acclimate, though. That seems to have been the case for Williams.

He improved his PFF grade from 67.4 as a rookie in 2019 to 81.4 in 2020, the biggest jump coming from his impact as a pass-rusher. Williams more than doubled his pressure count from 2019, and his 16 combined quarterback hits and sacks came in at 10 more than his mark the prior season. Expect big things from the former first-round pick moving forward.

Williams, who turned 23 in December, indeed took a huge step forward as a pass-rusher in 2020, upping his sack total to 7.0 in 13 games, compared to his 2.5 quarterback takedowns in 2019.

Getting to the quarterback is never going to tell the whole story to Williams' game, though, as it’s just as important for him to be a stout run-stopper while constantly moving the line of scrimmage, whether the play is a run or a pass.

The next Aaron Donald type player in the NFL. All Pro's and in the conversation for DPOY awards in the next few years. 

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

QW was getting barbecued by the entire fanbase up until a couple months ago

So do you count yourself in the 'entire fanbase' ?

I remember it being about a a 50/50 split of QW, which is to be expected given the disappointment of Leonard Williams, another DL high draft pick that was given the 'generational talent' moniker.

50 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Williams is close to this. He didn't  play a full season in either his rookie or sophomore year and last season he was practically playing on one leg. 

is that really apples to apples though? Donald is not really known for stopping the run, while Quinnen is not really the pass rushing demon that Donald is.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Here is an apples to apples breakdown. 

i think thats about right. QW is better at stopping the run and AD is better as a pass rusher. The difference between Donald and QW on this slide is the same as the difference between QW and like the 13th guy on this list probably.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

is that really apples to apples though? Donald is not really known for stopping the run, while Quinnen is not really the pass rushing demon that Donald is.

Willis has taken a gigantic leap forward in pass rushing. IMO, this being his first year not playing with an injury, this is what counts.  He woild have most likely topped 8 if he didn't  get hurt  again. His real issue is actually  staying staying healthy, I am very please with him as a pass rusher and I think the Donald comparison is warranted 

58 minutes ago, Nick Blitz said:

So do you count yourself in the 'entire fanbase' ?

I remember it being about a a 50/50 split of QW, which is to be expected given the disappointment of Leonard Williams, another DL high draft pick that was given the 'generational talent' moniker.

1. i would classify entire fanbase for myself as people on this site + any other jets fans i know personally

2. it was never 50/50

3. Leonard Williams was never considered "generational". He was considered a safe pick with scheme versatility and really good upside https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015lwilliams.php 

i think u should stop.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Willis has taken a gigantic leap forward in pass rushing. IMO, this being his first year not playing with an injury, this is what counts.  He woild have most likely topped 8 if he didn't  get hurt  again. His real issue is actually  staying staying healthy, I am very please with him as a pass rusher and I think the Donald comparison is warranted 

i'd like to agree. if he can stop the run the way he has and get even close to Donald type disruption in the pass game we are in for a treat for the next 8 years.

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

It’s hard to argue that the media should respect him when the majority or Jets fans did nothing but take shots at him until the middle of the season.

Pretty well justifiably so.

Hey he turned it up several notches as some on here said he would.  Full credit to them and to him.  He was a non factor year one and for the start of year two.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

Pretty well justifiably so.

Hey he turned it up several notches as some on here said he would.  Full credit to them and to him.  He was a non factor year one and for the start of year two.

not all prospects are built the same. Aside from being very young, if you knew about him in Alabama, you knew that he may take time before realizing his potential.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2019/01/05/quinnen-williams-alabama-afterthought-now-set-nfl-stardom/2493213002/

we want everything right now. we did it with revis, we did it with others. who would you rather have QW or Josh Allen right now? now go back 1 year and ask the same question.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Williams is close to this. He didn't  play a full season in either his rookie or sophomore year and last season he was practically playing on one leg. 

No excuses.  The best ability is availability.  Donald had 20 sacks over his first two seasons.  Williams has had 9.5.  

37 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

No excuses.  The best ability is availability.  Donald had 20 sacks over his first two seasons.  Williams has had 9.5.  

Quinnen just finished his age 22 season. 

How many Sacks did Aaron Donald have in his Age 21 and Age 22 seasons? No Excuses please. 

I never had anything against QW himself, but I'll freely admit was greatly displeased with Maccagnan's pick of him for a variety of different reasons, highlighted by a mess of a Jets team doubling down on what was already their strongest position.  Even with as well as he's played, my opinion on that still hasn't changed, considering that while QW looks likely to be better than any of them, the Jets would still be just fine today with an interior line of LW (who became necessary to trade only after the QW pick), Fatukasi, JFM, and Phillips.

With that said, this classification is very well deserved.  His rookie year was a bit unremarkable, particularly as he gained a reputation for even when beating a block, he was all but certain to end up flat on his face on the turf, swiping at the legs of QBs or RBs.  This year was like night and day in that regard, not only off the snap but in finishing off plays, and that's great to see.  He will certainly be an asset for this team for quite a while, so can't hate on him at all for that.