Should Shaq Barrett be our #1 free agency target?

Pointdexter

No offense to Tom Brady but Shaq was the biggest difference maker on the field in the super bowl. Lightening fast into the opponent's backfield. 

We haven't had that kind of backfield disruptor in at least a decade. I can't ever remember having a linebackers that can fly around the field like him. At 28 he's in his prime. 

He and Thuney would be my 1 and 1a. Honestly, I'm not overwhelmed by the FA WRs and I hope we don't overspend there.

58 minutes ago, KRL said:

I'm concerned about Barrett for a couple of reasons:

- His age
- The spike in his production, then the drop in his numbers

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16967/shaquil-barrett

I would take a look at Romeo Okwara, he's younger, cheaper and
could be on the upswing:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2980147/romeo-okwara

Yes to Okwara 100%...younger, almost certainly cheaper...player on the rise and very likely fits into the ‘wide 9’ position that’s likely to be a key part of our defensive formation going forward. Romeo & Quinnen together could actually give us something for opposing QB’s to worry about for the first time in 15 years 

EDIT: Keep an eye on Tyus Bowser as an alternate to Okwara, hidden in that insane depth they have in Baltimore, another young, cheap and potential high upside option, far more of a punt than Okwara but really liked him coming out of college.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Yes to Okwara 100%...younger, almost certainly cheaper...player on the rise and very likely fits into the ‘wide 9’ position that’s likely to be a key part of our defensive formation going forward. Romeo & Quinnen together could actually give us something for opposing QB’s to worry about for the first time in 15 years 

EDIT: Keep an eye on Tyus Bowser as an alternate

Good stuff here. I’ll have to find some tape on Bowser. I’m sold on Okwara. Trying to find and develop the diamonds in the rough rather than paying one after development 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

No offense to Tom Brady but Shaq was the biggest difference maker on the field in the super bowl. Lightening fast into the opponent's backfield. 

We haven't had that kind of backfield disruptor in at least a decade. I can't ever remember having a linebackers that can fly around the field like him. At 28 he's in his prime. 

He and Thuney would be my 1 and 1a. Honestly, I'm not overwhelmed by the FA WRs and I hope we don't overspend there.

They weren't even blocking him. How was his entire season? 

2 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

One game

Where KC's OL was decimated 

Makes the case for OL help more than a single LB like Shaq.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

EDIT: Keep an eye on Tyus Bowser as an alternate to Okwara, hidden in that insane depth they have in Baltimore, another young, cheap and potential high upside option, far more of a punt than Okwara but really liked him coming out of college.

Bowser's frame suggests he would be a LB in our 4-3, how's his speed?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3040037/tyus-bowser

We can target all we want but Tampa's not letting him go anywhere. I doubt Tampa can keep all there FA but I think they'll prioritize Barrett. Maybe we can pry WR Godwin from them. 

I'd rather target Ngakoue as an edge rusher from Baltimore instead. They are in cap hell and have Judon as a FA also amonst others. Ngakoue is only 25 and had 2 more sacks (8)  than Judon who is 3 years older. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

They weren't even blocking him. How was his entire season? 

30 and a half sacks the last two seasons, with 3 coming in this year's postseason alone. I would say he's far from a one game wonder. Honestly I don't know how much more consistently productive a linebacker can get.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

TB has to decide between Barrett and Godwin.  Not as simple a choice as it might seem.  But if they do franchise Barrett, I would happily target Godwin so there's a win there potentially either way.

Both of those guys will be back with the Bucs.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Bowser's frame suggests he would be a LB in our 4-3, how's his speed?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3040037/tyus-bowser

4,65 at the combine, was noted as a quick and twitchy athlete coming out, the knock on him was missing the last 5 games his senior year for fighting a teammate...he’d already racked up something like 10 sacks through the first 8 games.

Not a close follower of the Ravens but they appear to have dropped him into coverage a lot as he’s picked up a few INTS and PD’s ...finding those gems who’ve been hidden behind A+ plus talent is the key to FA success....I think he could be one of them

1 hour ago, Pointdexter said:

30 and a half sacks the last two seasons, with 3 coming in this year's postseason alone. I would say he's far from a one game wonder. Honestly I don't know how much more consistently productive a linebacker can get.

After you posted this, I had to see it for myself because I play FF with IDP's and guys with consistent  double digit sack numbers are very valuable. They can literally  win the week for you.
Below are his career stats. I would say that is far being consistently  productive 
Not a one game wonder?

Career stats

Year
Team
COMB
AST
Sack
INT
YDS

TB

TB

DEN

DEN

DEN

DEN

Um what??  He's had 30+ sacks the last 2 seasons. How on earth is that a one game wonder. Yes, he was an UDFA out of college and it took a while for him to ramp up and earn a starting spot. But for the last two years he's been arguably the best in the NFL at his position. Geesh. Some people will argue anything.

17 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

After you posted this, I had to see it for myself because I play FF with IDP's and guys with consistent  double digit sack numbers are very valuable. They can literally  win the week for you.
Below are his career stats. I would say that is far being consistently  productive 
Not a one game wonder?

Career stats

Year
Team
COMB
AST
Sack
INT
YDS

TB

TB

DEN

DEN

DEN

DEN

Jeez. Barrett was a UDFA who was a part time player at Denver. His pass rush win rates and pressures were consistently good. Tampa Bay got him at a discount and doubled his snaps and his efficiency stayed the same. Good efficiency + higher snap count = better usage stats. Barrett isn’t really a fit here, but he’s damn good and has remained consistent.

24 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Um what??  He's had 30+ sacks the last 2 seasons. How on earth is that a one game wonder. Yes, he was an UDFA out of college and it took a while for him to ramp up and earn a starting spot. But for the last two years he's been arguably the best in the NFL at his position. Geesh. Some people will argue anything.

He had 8 sacks this season, 19.5 last season, before that 3, before that 4, and before that 1.5. You are skewing his production by using the one monster season he had and rolling it into this year. Also, 50+ tackles for a LB sucks. Those are DL numbers. You seriously  think about 3 tackles a game is good for that position? 

18 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Jeez. Barrett was a UDFA who was a part time player at Denver. His pass rush win rates and pressures were consistently good. Tampa Bay got him at a discount and doubled his snaps and his efficiency stayed the same. Good efficiency + higher snap count = better usage stats. Barrett isn’t really a fit here, but he’s damn good and has remained consistent.

What happened from last season and this one? He has a double digit drop in sacks. Also his tackle numbers for a LB are low.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

TB has to decide between Barrett and Godwin.  Not as simple a choice as it might seem.  But if they do franchise Barrett, I would happily target Godwin so there's a win there potentially either way.

..i'd much rather have  godwin   ?

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

No way the Bucs are letting him go

Unless he gets market setting offers? If someone offers him a 100 mill contract, the Bucs will have to let him walk. This cap situation will be interesting because in a normal off season, he’d be getting that kind of an offer.

5 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

He has 19 last yr and only 8 this yr

8 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

We had one for like 20 minutes in Mosley.