OLB Jordan Jenkins.. Re-UP or Let walk ? ? ?

kelly

Before Joe Douglas can focus on who he plans on targeting in free agency come March, he’ll have a handful of in-house decisions to make.

The Jets have 25 players set to hit the open market this offseason. Some don’t figure to factor into New York’s plans for 2021, while others it’s safe to assume the Jets would like to keep around for a while. Either way, Douglas has a lot of work to do to put together a competitive roster for Robert Saleh.Jordan Jenkins returned to the Jets in 2020 on an incredibly-cheap, one-year, $3.75 million deal after tallying 15 sacks over the previous two seasons. He finished well last season despite a rocky start and a season-ending shoulder injury in Week 13.

Now Jenkins is a free agent once again, and Douglas must determine whether he is worth re-signing.The question comes down to three things: Leadership ability, scheme fit and cost. Douglas will need to decide which are most important to him and the team before making a decision on Jenkins, who will play for his third head coach no matter where he signs.

Pros of bringing him back

Jenkins was consistent for the Jets prior to 2020. He had 20.5 sacks in his first four seasons as a pro and had been one of the Jets’ best pass rushers over that time. Though he didn’t enjoy the best season, Jenkins showed enough at the end of 2020 to warrant a look from the new coaching staff at a relatively low price compared to other similar players on the market.

Jenkins is also one of the locker room leaders of the defense. Keeping him around would be good for the other Jets defenders who stay. It would be a great morale-booster for the young players on the team, too, and it would give the Jets a level of consistency on defense it otherwise won’t have with a new staff.

Cons of bringing him back

The biggest issue with Jenkins is scheme fit. At 6-foot-3, 259 pounds, Jenkins is too small to be a dominant edge rusher and not good enough in coverage to be an outside linebacker in Saleh and Jeff Ulbrich’s 4-3 defense. That doesn’t mean Jenkins can’t bulk up, improve his coverage skills or be relegated to sub-packages, but it’s a much tougher investment for Douglas to make when he could pay more for an established 4-3 linebacker.

Jenkins’ 2020 season is also a red flag. He looked consistent from 2018-2019, but last year featured a down year despite a solid four-game stretch after the bye week. Saleh and Ulbrich need speed and pressure from their pass rushers and Jenkins might not always give them that. 

The Verdict

Unless Douglas can keep Jenkins on another ridiculously-low deal, the linebacker shouldn’t be in the Jets’ long-term plans. He’s a solid player but just isn’t the right fit for the new Jets defense.

Douglas wouldn’t have to spend as much on Jenkins as other pass rushers, but re-signing him wouldn’t be the right use of cap space when there are bigger needs and better players for Saleh’s defense.

12 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I like Jenkins. He are Hewitt are among the few that looked like they gave a sh*t out there.

Agree, I don't see why every signing has to be a starter.

Team needs depth, too. Especially at LB. 

I'd do the same thing as last year: let him test the market, and then sign him for less if no one else is willing to give him starter money (which will be the case, as likely as not). Same as Hewitt. 

Think depth isn't important? Ask KC's OL coach (and GB's now-former OL coach). 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, dcJet said:

I like Jenkins. He and Hewitt are among the few that looked like they gave a sh*t out there.

Exactly how I feel!  I singled out both Jenkins and Hewitt as two guys I want back next year.  I mentioned it in another post as well.  Great minds think alike!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

If he's willing to be a depth piece on a cheap deal sure. If not we let him walk and find a better fit elsewhere.  

no way he  " stays as a depth piece on a cheap deal ". i wish he would but he'll get a better offer/deal elsewhere:beer:  

14 hours ago, kelly said:

no way he  " stays as a depth piece on a cheap deal ". i wish he would but he'll get a better offer/deal elsewhere:beer:  

I agree. So we let him walk and count him toward the comp pick equation.  I hope he gets $10 mil per. :) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I agree. So we let him walk and count him toward the comp pick equation.  I hope he gets $10 mil per. :) 

This is a nice thought, but there's just absolutely no way the Jets end up getting comp pick(s) out of this upcoming offseason, lol. 

Too many needs, too many cap dollars to spend, too many quality UFA's who will be available, and not nearly enough Jet UFA's that will attract interest on the open market.  It would take an extraordinary amount of creativity for Douglas to even end up with a single 7th round comp pick, which just wouldn't be worth the effort.

Thanks Macc.

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is a nice thought, but there's just absolutely no way the Jets end up getting comp pick(s) out of this upcoming offseason, lol. 

Too many needs, too many cap dollars to spend, too many quality UFA's who will be available, and not nearly enough Jet UFA's that will attract interest on the open market.  It would take an extraordinary amount of creativity for Douglas to even end up with a single 7th round comp pick, which just wouldn't be worth the effort.

Thanks Macc.

Oh 80. Such a grumpkin. lol I see it totally different.  Not to say I'm guaranteeing we get comp picks but this is a unique season where there will be more cuts than usual as well as more opportunity for trades. Both of which will not count against the comp pick equation.  Let's see how it plays out. 

We have 9 potential FAs that will more than likely get signed if we don't. Most will get min type contracts but will still count for 7ths if we are ahead on the count. As long as we don't sign 9 UFA's we're good. :) 

11 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Oh 80. Such a grumpkin. lol I see it totally different.  Not to say I'm guaranteeing we get comp picks but this is a unique season where there will be more cuts than usual as well as more opportunity for trades. Both of which will not count against the comp pick equation.  Let's see how it plays out. 

We have 9 potential FAs that will more than likely get signed if we don't. Most will get min type contracts but will still count for 7ths if we are ahead on the count. As long as we don't sign 9 UFA's we're good. :) 

Even if all of those 9 UFA's you speak of get signed, several/most will end up getting picked well after the point where they would count as comp picks for us.  These aren't primary, secondary, or tertiary targets we're talking about. 

As you say, its going to be a tumultuous offseason.  Jets UFA's won't be a priority to pick up.  The only Jets UFA that would have a good chance of getting signed in the comp pick territory would be Maye.  Brian Poole is next on the list.  The rest are JAGs or worse.

EDIT:  Just wanted to point out that per spotrac.com, we have 17 UFA's.  I'm curious which 9 you have pegged as "priority guys":

1. Maye
  2. Poole
  3. Jenkins
  4. Perriman
  5. Flacco
  6. Gore
  7. Arthur Maulet
  8. Bradley McDougald
  9. Neville Hewitt
  10. Tarell Basham
  11. Patrick Onwuasor
  12. Pat Elflein
  13. Matthias Farley
  14. Daniel Brown
  15. Bryce Hager
  16. Ross Travis
  17. Trevon Coley

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if all of those 9 UFA's you speak of get signed, several/most will end up getting picked well after the point where they would count as comp picks for us.  These aren't primary, secondary, or tertiary targets we're talking about. 

As you say, its going to be a tumultuous offseason.  Jets UFA's won't be a priority to pick up.  The only Jets UFA that would have a good chance of getting signed in the comp pick territory would be Maye.  Brian Poole is next on the list.  The rest are JAGs or worse.

EDIT:  Just wanted to point out that per spotrac.com, we have 17 UFA's.  I'm curious which 9 you have pegged as "priority guys":

1. Maye
  2. Poole
  3. Jenkins
  4. Perriman
  5. Flacco
  6. Gore
  7. Arthur Maulet
  8. Bradley McDougald
  9. Neville Hewitt
  10. Tarell Basham
  11. Patrick Onwuasor
  12. Pat Elflein
  13. Matthias Farley
  14. Daniel Brown
  15. Bryce Hager
  16. Ross Travis
  17. Trevon Coley

I wouldn't use the word priority but they are very likely to get nabbed before the end of the window. Not first wave FA's but they will be signed.  Love Spotrac so you're speaking my language here. 

Maye will remain here so he's not going to count.  There will be others but for arguments sake let's just use the list on guys I see as signable in FA for other teams. 

Poole, Jenkins, Perriman, Flacco (if he doesn't retire), Gore (if he doesnt retire), Maulet, Mcdougald, Hewitt, Basham, Peanut, Elflein, Brown.

Every single one of them will be signed as UFAs. Some will undoubtedly be signed after the window but thats 12 overall.  I see the 9 being from that group as I have guys like Hewitt and Maulet being possible re signings for the Jets. 

The thing I'm really pointing to is the awareness that a comp exists. We can easily grab guys from the cut list that will more than likely be on the same tier as a FA to help out the cause here. You don't bypass a good FA with hopes of receiving a 7th next year of course, but if all things are equal you can make choices to support the cause. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I wouldn't use the word priority but they are very likely to get nabbed before the end of the window. Not first wave FA's but they will be signed.  Love Spotrac so you're speaking my language here. 

Maye will remain here so he's not going to count.  There will be others but for arguments sake let's just use the list on guys I see as signable in FA for other teams. 

Poole, Jenkins, Perriman, Flacco (if he doesn't retire), Gore (if he doesnt retire), Maulet, Mcdougald, Hewitt, Basham, Peanut, Elflein, Brown.

Every single one of them will be signed as UFAs. Some will undoubtedly be signed after the window but thats 12 overall.  I see the 9 being from that group as I have guys like Hewitt and Maulet being possible re signings for the Jets. 

The thing I'm really pointing to is the awareness that a comp exists. We can easily grab guys from the cut list that will more than likely be on the same tier as a FA to help out the cause here. You don't bypass a good FA with hopes of receiving a 7th next year of course, but if all things are equal you can make choices to support the cause. 

If Douglas wants to get a comp pick, Maye will have to be let go.  Period.  There's absolutely no way the Jets keep Maye AND get a comp pick out of this.  

And as you suggest, even if all that happens as you say, we're likely talking about a 7th round comp pick here.  And I absolutely agree that you don't pass up a quality UFA to get a 7th.  So this is moot. 

I just don't see this at all being a year where Douglas can realistically afford to play the comp pick game.  Thank Mike Maccagnan for that.

Next offseason, sure.  Draft well and we'll end up with comp picks every subsequent year under Douglas.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Douglas wants to get a comp pick, Maye will have to be let go.  Period.  There's absolutely no way the Jets keep Maye AND get a comp pick out of this.  

And as you suggest, even if all that happens as you say, we're likely talking about a 7th round comp pick here.  And I absolutely agree that you don't pass up a quality UFA to get a 7th.  So this is moot. 

I just don't see this at all being a year where Douglas can realistically afford to play the comp pick game.  Thank Mike Maccagnan for that.

Next offseason, sure.  Draft well and we'll end up with comp picks every subsequent year under Douglas.  

A 7th is a 7th is a 7th. 

I agree with the premise that Macc put us in a bad position to be thinking about this, but I'm confident it's being thought about none the less. And plausible . It has little do do with Maye although he would obviously increase the odds.  

It's not the priority but it's being considered most likely. Here's a scenario for you.  It's quick and off the top of my head so please don't get caught in the semantics of the values I lay out. It's merely an example. 

We're looking for a right tackle in FA.  Daryl Williams is into signing with us for $10 mil per. But then JD gets a call that the Saints are looking to dump salary and Ramczyk will be cut in a minute.  JD can choose the guy who's about to be cut to continue to keep the Comp pick equation in his favor. 

It also works in the same way that let's say the Saints call and say "hey, you can have Ramczyk for a 5th"  JD uses the 5th for Ramczyk over Williams because it does not count against the comp pick equation.  He knows that he's in line to get a 6th for Perriman signing somewhere for $6 mil. That means he got Ramczyk for a late 6th-7th because he's getting the pick back. see? :) 

there are ways if not thought about as black and white which I don't get the impression JD is.  He's a creative guy and looks under the rocks. 

Anyway, I'm not saying you are not right that it will be difficult to get ahead of it this year. I'm saying it can happen and this is the year to think like that with the cap going down. 12 teams are over as of today. Guys are getting dumped and traded this offseason.