NFL rumors: Texans apparently won’t trade Deshaun Watson to Eagles for Carson Wentz — and would only do a deal with Jets

Bronx

The Texans won’t trade quarterback Deshaun Watson to the Eagles for Carson Wentz, who absolutely could be dealt very soon. And if the Texans do trade Watson, it would only be to the Jets, if they want to move on from Sam Darnold.

The Houston Chronicle’s John McClain mentioned those two nuggets during an appearance on Houston’s SportsRadio 610. (You can listen to it down below.)

Here’s what he said about the Texans and Watson:

“They don’t call teams. Teams call them. And they’ve told everybody they’re not trading Watson. Doesn’t mean they won’t do it eventually. I guarantee you, if they did, it would not be for Carson Wentz and the Eagles.

“And they’ve said it publicly, they’ve said it privately that they are not trading Watson. And so anybody that says they’ve called the Eagles, not true. If they traded him, it would be [to] the Jets. So no, they have not contacted anyone about trading Watson.”

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Offer our 2nd first this year and next years third. Tell them if they don’t take it by the end of the call the deals off and we aren’t interested. And stick to that. He’s not worth any more than that.

Bro, that would never get it done lol. 

If it did, you may as well just fold the Texans franchise. 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

They obviously feel like the jets have the ammo for the Texans to move Watson and then rebuild 

Which begs the question 

why not use that ammo to rebuild the jets?

Just what I have been saying, we make this deal (with some of the asks being tossed around) and we become houston and they become us.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

They obviously feel like the jets have the ammo for the Texans to move Watson and then rebuild 

Which begs the question 

I wouldn’t put too much stock into Houston’s fat version of Rich Cimini has to say. 

17 minutes ago, Larz said:

Which begs the question 

They would rather have Watson, but if they’re being forced to trade him the Jets have the best offer. If Watson never demanded a trade they wouldn’t be contacting the Jets dangling Watson for those picks. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Do you think anyone they draft at 2 will ever be as good as Watson is right now?

Let me get my time machine I’ll be right back ok so it turns out you’re not gonna believe it but I’ve been sworn to secrecy, paradox stuff 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You are assuming the Jets draft a QB at #2

If the ask for watson is ONLY the #2 pick the Jets make the deal in 2 seconds.

Well, the Jets need a QB. You don’t win consistently in this league without one. And if they draft a QB at 2 and they don’t trade for Watson, that comparison will be forever linked. I don’t make the rules. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Well, the Jets need a QB. You don’t win consistently in this league without one. And if they draft a QB at 2 and they don’t trade for Watson, that comparison will be forever linked. I don’t make the rules. 

Why? If Houston is unrealistic and asking for the 2 plus a ton of other picks, why should that be part of any comparison? Or Miami's 3rd? There's no link if Houston never trades Watson. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Why? If Houston is unrealistic and asking for the 2 plus a ton of other picks, why should that be part of any comparison? Or Miami's 3rd? There's no link if Houston never trades Watson. 

If Douglas punts on Watson and Miami picks him up—regardless of what picks get exchanged—then the story becomes what Watson produces in Miami vs what the Jets produce with Zack Wilson or Sam Darnold. No one will remember who the Jets drafted with the picks they saved by not making the trade

• Upvote 2