NFL rumors: Texans apparently won’t trade Deshaun Watson to Eagles for Carson Wentz — and would only do a deal with Jets

Bronx

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's not what he asked....

And the Texans have won 2 division titles with Watson.  The Jets haven't won a division title since 2002.

'division title' in a lousy sad sack division vs a div with the pats, yeah good comparison.

also they won div titles with deandre hopkins and others, talent level dropped and they won 4 games.

He will be coming to a jets team with the same or less talent than houston and like houston with no high pick resources.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

'division title' in a lousy sad sack division vs a div with the pats, yeah good comparison.

also they won div titles with deandre hopkins and others, talent level dropped and they won 4 games.

He will be coming to a jets team with the same or less talent than houston and like houston with no high pick resources.

* With no dropoff in play from Watson when Hopkins left

How about a playoff win then, something the Jets haven't had since 2010?  Watson got that in 2019.  Does that meet your standards for something being deemed worthy of praise, oh ye fan of a 2-14 team with no franchise QB since 1970?

But sure, the Watson-led Jets would be 4-12 forever.  Put it in stone!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

* With no dropoff in play from Watson when Hopkins left

How about a playoff win then, something the Jets haven't had since 2010?  Watson got that in 2019.  Does that meet your standards for something being deemed worthy of praise, oh ye fan of a 2-14 team with no franchise QB since 1970?

But sure, the Watson-led Jets would be 4-12 forever.  Put it in stone!

I can’t believe you’re ok with going 4-12 again. Disgusting

• Haha 3

Texans hire Jack Easterby ally Dylan Thompson as character coach

Another old friend of Jack Easterby’s has landed a job with the Houston Texans.

This time it’s Dylan Thompson, who has been hired as the Texans’ character coach, according to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle.

Character coach was the job Easterby had with the Patriots before he was hired in Houston, where he has come to become the most powerful person in the Texans’ front office. Thompson was previously the Lions’ character coach, and Thompson’s relationship with Easterby was cited as a reason the Lions hired him, as the Lions were run at the time by General Manager Bob Quinn and coach Matt Patricia, who were trying to replicate New England’s success.

Before working for the Lions Thompson was working for the basketball team at Charleston Southern, and once again his relationship with Easterby helped him get the job.

Thompson played quarterback at South Carolina, and an article about him during his college career described Easterby as his mentor.

As a player Thompson briefly spent time with the 49ers and Rams but never played in a regular-season game.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/11/texans-hire-jack-easterby-ally-dylan-thompson-as-character-coach/

Keep hiring Easterby-tarians, Houston.

This trade might actually happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Watson could easily block a trade to Jacksonville.

No, I can’t see any scenario where he ends up a Jaguar. It would be in Houston’s best interests to settle for the 2nd best QB in the class than have to face Watson 2x a year. Lawrence would have to end up the best QB in the league not named Pat Mahomes to justify a move like that.

Don’t disagree with anything you said except for settling on the 2nd best QB, I don’t know how you sell that to your fan base when there is no consensus 2nd best 

1 minute ago, Anthony Jet said:

Don’t disagree with anything you said except for settling on the 2nd best QB, I don’t know how you sell that to your fan base when there is no consensus 2nd best 

Well whoever you take is who you say the 2nd best QB is, lol.

Either way its not happening with Jacksonville.  They're not trading Watson there and they're not getting Trevor Lawrence.  Justin Fields/Zach Wilson and perhaps another high pick is better than a 2021 season with AJ McCarron as your starter and no 1st round pick.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well whoever you take is who you say the 2nd best QB is, lol.

Either way its not happening with Jacksonville.  They're not trading Watson there and they're not getting Trevor Lawrence.  Justin Fields/Zach Wilson and perhaps another high pick is better than a 2021 season with AJ McCarron as your starter and no 1st round pick.  

I don’t think it would ever happen either, all I was saying was if Jacksonville came calling the Texans would be foolish not to listen just because they’re in the same division 

Just now, Anthony Jet said:

I don’t think it would ever happen either, all I was saying was if Jacksonville came calling the Texans would be foolish not to listen just because they’re in the same division 

Listen, sure.  But they would have to get more out of Jacksonville than they can out of us, by a fairly significant margin.  Getting dominated by Watson 2x a year for the next decade would be a nightmare situation, especially if Lawrence doesn't live up to the hype or close to it.  

• Upvote 1

I don't get the idea of a religious character coach but I also don't know how it works.  

I assume he leads the team in prayers and consults players?  Sounds like the Catholic school I attended.

Is it voluntary for a player to talk to the character coach?  I doubt it's confidential, like a military chaplain; so why spill your troubles to your employer?

Off to Google....

Hmm... flashback of my times at Catholic High School.  I would imagine, if a player is un-godly or a sinner, it would be in his best interest to hide it. 

Imagine having a full-time staff member whose only job is to help create character in others! Easterby’s role is to build up the character of the Patriots players so that they not only become the best athletes they can be, but they also become the best human beings that they can be. In a February 1 article in USA Today, Easterby talks about his job. “I always make sure everybody’s here.” “If someone wasn’t on time, or was taking too long in the bathroom, or skipping, I need to know. I like to get ahead on any issues.”

Easterby also talks about character. “Character and the kind of people you hire is something that our country is in desperate need to get back to evaluating.” “Unfortunately, sometimes it matters most when we count it the least. And when we evaluate it the least, it matters most. It’s tough, but we have seen a lot of businesses and industries fall because of a lack of character. One of the things we’ve seen come up in our culture lately – from the (Harvey) Weinstein case and so many others – we’ve seen that choices matter.”

The door to Easterby’s office is always open. He is there to listen, offer guidance, recommend a book, pray, or meet with family members. He writes personal notes to players, offers scriptures and inspirational quotes, and is always available when Coach Belichick or other coaches need him. Fullback James Develin said, “Before every game – and I mean every game – he comes up to each of us and tells us he appreciates us.” Another player, defensive end, Ricky Jean Francois, said, “This guy here (Easterby), every day, he walks up to us and feeds us positivity. Every single day. This dude is not pretending.”

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It was more than the talent level dropping.  The entire organization is in shambles and their head coach was fired after week 4.  The year before Watson was up 24 points against the Chiefs in the playoffs.

The Jets could add Thuney, Robinson, re-sign Maye, sign Bud Dupree, and bring in Saleh's starting CB and nickelback from SF, and still have cap room in '21 and '22, and add 5 of the top 100 players drafted in 2021.  The Jets could build a contender around Watson very quickly.  You don't need 4 1st round picks in 2 years to build a winning team.

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Anyone think there is any chance of JD pulling off an insanely good trade for Watson? I'm talking something like the Adams trade where most never imagined the return he got.

Things have been relatively quiet to this point but with Watson having his no trade clause, if the situation gets ugly and he really starts shooting his way out of Houston, I wonder if they will end up forced to accept below market return in a trade. 

I don't see JD trading 3+ 1sts for Watson. I think he values the draft way too much to spend the stockpile he's collected on one player. However, I could see a scenario where JD beats the Texans GM like a redheaded step child and pulls off a Hopkins Pt. 2 trade and gives up less than anyone expects for our new QB

(Probably wishful thinking)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

Come the draft there will most certainly be a consensus #2. Pro days, board work, game tape and interviews. JD, Saleh and Lefleur will know who their guy is

National Football League GIF by Houston Texans

• Sympathy 3

11 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Anyone think there is any chance of JD pulling off an insanely good trade for Watson? I'm talking something like the Adams trade where most never imagined the return he got.

Things have been relatively quiet to this point but with Watson having his no trade clause, if the situation gets ugly and he really starts shooting his way out of Houston, I wonder if they will end up forced to accept below market return in a trade. 

I don't see JD trading 3+ 1sts for Watson. I think he values the draft way too much to spend the stockpile he's collected on one player. However, I could see a scenario where JD beats the Texans GM like a redheaded step child and pulls off a Hopkins Pt. 2 trade and gives up less than anyone expects for our new QB

Watson is the 2nd most valuable asset in football after Mahomes.  If JD can get it done for #2, #34, '22 SEA 1st and '23 1st, it's probably a bigger steal than the Adams trade.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I could see a scenario where JD beats the Texans GM like a redheaded step child and pulls off a Hopkins Pt. 2 trade and gives up less than anyone expects for our new QB

I could see #2OA, #34 & next year’s higher of the two #1 picks. Maybe a bad contract thrown in. This allows JD to trade back from #23 into late 1st and gain additional picks. He better do better than last year!

This would be a steal for Watson

• Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

Watson is the 2nd most valuable asset in football after Mahomes.  If JD can get it done for #2, #34, '22 SEA 1st and '23 1st, it's probably a bigger steal than the Adams trade.

I really think there is a chance that JD pulls it off for much less than anyone expects. Infact, I honestly think the only way a trade for Watson happens is with JD pulling off a steal. Obviously i could easily be wrong and its just a gut feeling but I really don't see JD trading the type of capital that Watson is worth. This team has absolutely no talent on both sides of the ball. JD knows he has so much more to fix than just the QB position before this team is good. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, chad2coles said:

It was more than the talent level dropping.  The entire organization is in shambles and their head coach was fired after week 4.  The year before Watson was up 24 points against the Chiefs in the playoffs.

The Jets could add Thuney, Robinson, re-sign Maye, sign Bud Dupree, and bring in Saleh's starting CB and nickelback from SF, and still have cap room in '21 and '22, and add 5 of the top 100 players drafted in 2021.  The Jets could build a contender around Watson very quickly.  You don't need 4 1st round picks in 2 years to build a winning team.

The optimism re free agents is ridiculous in these scenarios.

So let me ask you, are we getting watson for #2 overall and that is it?  If so go or it!

Cap room is the most  overrated aspect to any team and how we are still going to have plenty of cap room in coming years after adding all the guys you just added is anyones guess.

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

I think the 2nd pick and one other 1st of their choice could end up being the deal. if Texans get their backs up against the wall this could honestly be their best offer. Let’s see how it plays out!

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

I really think there is a chance that JD pulls it off for much less than anyone expects. Infact, I honestly think the only way a trade for Watson happens is with JD pulling off a steal. Obviously i could easily be wrong and its just a gut feeling but I really don't see JD trading the type of capital that Watson is worth. This team has absolutely no talent on both sides of the ball. JD knows he has so much more to fix than just the QB position before this team is good. 

Haha, i'm picturing JD as Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood and Easterby as Eli Sunday.

"I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!"

• Upvote 1