Darius Slay available

Rhg1084

Don’t have much interest in a 30 year old DB on a relatively expensive deal with what will likely be a buyer’s market coming up in free agency with the lower than expected cap and the team unlikely to be seriously competitive the two years he’s under contract. Pick 66 for him would be mind boggling.

If we decide to trade some late round picks for some needs (if possible) could we work the comp pick game? Greenbean mentioned it in a podcast and I think it could end up being a good strategy. Not saying we should trade for Slay but for the right need, if the price was right, and it got us a better (comp) pick? Sure why not.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Jesus. Covid making people crazy. Let’s trade a premium pick for a 30 year old cb. SMH.

When was the last time a 3rd round pick has ever produced anything for the Jets in the last 30 years? Slay is a top tier corner on a reasonable salary. People become too in love with these draft picks that have historically never hit 

Somewhere I think there's a trade to be made with a team like the Jets with a lot of cap room + a QB who needs better coaching and probably a change of address + a roster full of holes, and the Saints who are in cap hell, their HOF QB is retiring and their Pro Bowl CB has 1 year left on their rookie deal and is looking to get paid...

Untitled23.jpg

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Drums said:

If we decide to trade some late round picks for some needs (if possible) could we work the comp pick game? Greenbean mentioned it in a podcast and I think it could end up being a good strategy. Not saying we should trade for Slay but for the right need, if the price was right, and it got us a better (comp) pick? Sure why not.

That's exactly right. When the Eagles are sitting there with their d*cks in their hands you offer a 5th (we have 4 over the next 2 years) and hold firm. If they take it, that's one less FA we have to sign and one less position to use a premium pick on.  The bonus is he doesn't wash out Jenkins , Poole or Perriman in the comp pick game. 

This is the sort of thing we are about to see this offseason imo. And Joe is smart if he does it. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Team is in early stages of full rebuild; kinda needs a QB.

Sit on hands and do not make serious effort to get a QB. One will magically spring up next year. But for now...

Trade picks for 30 year old CB at $13MM per.

Sign 29 year old EDGE to $20MM/yr contract with 2-3 years guaranteed.

Did Mike Maccagnan recently hack some accounts here and start posting?

We complain that Macc went for it and loaded up on vets in 2015.

We cheer on JD for showing patience and having a plan to build from the ground up.

Then its screw the plan.  

9 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Would he be a target for Jets? He’s 30 years old with 2 years/$26m left on his contract (not bad). There’s the JD Philly connect obviously, he could be nice piece in Saleh’s zone scheme defense. I would give up pick 66 for him. 

Pretty sure Slay was drafted by Detroit and only ended up in Philly after he shot his way out of town because he and Matt Patricia hated each other....so I don’t think there is a JD connection as such.

53 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We complain that Macc went for it and loaded up on vets in 2015.

We cheer on JD for showing patience and having a plan to build from the ground up.

Then its screw the plan.  

The Jets will have some $80MM (possibly more) come free agency time. They need to add veterans. Great story & catchy phrases aside, a FA Era team is never built exclusively through the draft. It often takes 3 years before you realize/accept a pick’s ceiling is too low. Plus they have no experience. A team needs veterans. Good ones, on the field; not just old farts imparting wisdom in practice.

I get wanting a trade for Watson. He’s got another 10-15 years left that’ll outlive probably every draft pick.

I get wanting to sign an Allen Robinson. He should have at least 2 more top level years in him (injuries notwithstanding) and the one after that shouldn’t be a wall he hits. But a rookie opposite Mims is a bit too fingers-crossed, and it’s not typical that a few #1 (or at least #1A) are available. Meanwhile if we don’t get Watson or a veteran, I’d like to dispense with the excuses.

I get wanting to sign Thuney or Linsley. They’re not speed guys who are different players when their 40 times drop by a tenth or more. There’s so much the line could use that, absent a suicidal desire to start 3 rookies it’ll take too long to build totally through the draft. In the meantime we’re putting a QB on the field, established or otherwise. One weakness you can lend help to overcome, but 2/5 crap on the line = a crap line.

but

FA signing a mega expensive 29 year old edge rusher is a final piece move, not a rebuilding move.

Trading picks for a still hella expensive 30 year old corner is a final piece move, not a rebuilding move.

And frankly using the #6 pick in the draft on a safety is a final piece move, not a rebuilding move.

Those are Maccagnan moves. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Jets will have some $80MM (possibly more) come free agency time. They need to add veterans. Great story & catchy phrases aside, a FA Era team is never built exclusively through the draft. It often takes 3 years before you realize/accept a pick’s ceiling is too low. Plus they have no experience. A team needs veterans. Good ones, on the field; not just old farts imparting wisdom in practice.

I get wanting a trade for Watson. He’s got another 10-15 years left that’ll outlive probably every draft pick.

I get wanting to sign an Allen Robinson. He should have at least 2 more top level years in him (injuries notwithstanding) and the one after that shouldn’t be a wall he hits. But a rookie opposite Mims is a bit too fingers-crossed, and it’s not typical that a few #1 (or at least #1A) are available. Meanwhile if we don’t get Watson or a veteran, I’d like to dispense with the excuses.

I get wanting to sign Thuney or Linsley. They’re not speed guys who are different players when their 40 times drop by a tenth or more. There’s so much the line could use that, absent a suicidal desire to start 3 rookies it’ll take too long to build totally through the draft. In the meantime we’re putting a QB on the field, established or otherwise. One weakness you can lend help to overcome, but 2/5 crap on the line = a crap line.

but

FA signing a mega expensive 29 year old edge rusher is a final piece move, not a rebuilding move.

Trading picks for a still hella expensive 30 year old corner is a final piece move, not a rebuilding move.

And frankly using the #6 pick in the draft on a safety is a final piece move, not a rebuilding move.

Those are Maccagnan moves. 

I see it pretty much the same way.  We need to draft well and are in a great situation in that because of our poor drafting we have loads of spending money.  But we dont need to spend it for the sake of spending, we need to be smart.  Something we havent done much of in the past 10 years

• Upvote 1