Jump to content

Free Agents; Who Should Stay and Who Should Go?


JetNation
 Share

Recommended Posts

Marcus Maye

On tonight’s episode of JetNation Radio, Glenn Naughton, Alex Varallo and Dylan Tereman take a look at which Jets in-house free agents should be retained as well as an in-depth look at the 53-man roster.  Who should Gang Green look to trade, release or retain?  Some decisions are more obvious than others.

We’ll also discuss Sam Darnold’s trade value and what the team should be willing to give up in trade for Deshaun Watson. Listen to our NY Jets podcast to hear the full show.

A big thank you to the official sponsor of JetNation Radio, MILE Social.  If you’re a business owner, MILE Social will help your business by managing your web site and all of your social media platforms.  Check them out today at milesocial.com.

Our Podcast can now be found on Spotify and Amazon Music. Also, be sure to subscribe to us on iTunes or Google Play. Here is some more information on how you can find us online.

The post Free Agents; Who Should Stay and Who Should Go? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
QeWNCkjFlT8

Click here to read the full story...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

It's mid February and they have not resigned anyone. They're all going. 

haha 

Fair assessment.  But I think 4 will be locks to resign. Maye is staying even if they have to franchise tag him. Won't that be fun? First time since we did it to Nick Folk.......NICK F'IN FOLK! 

Harvey Langhi, Neville Hewitt and Pat Elflein are all signing here imo.  A few more are candidates like Basham and V. Smith but I'm actually hoping they let most leave. Let's flip that comp pick equation and scoop up a bunch of cuts instead of Free agents. This is a great opportunity to jump start that comp pick equation in our favor without any real pain. 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

haha 

Fair assessment.  But I think 4 will be locks to resign. Maye is staying even if they have to franchise tag him. Won't that be fun? First time since we did it to Nick Folk.......NICK F'IN FOLK! 

Harvey Langhi, Neville Hewitt and Pat Elflein are all signing here imo.  A few more are candidates like Basham and V. Smith but I'm actually hoping they let most leave. Let's flip that comp pick equation and scoop up a bunch of cuts instead of Free agents. This is a great opportunity to jump start that comp pick equation in our favor without any real pain. 

 

If you want to get a comp pick you have to let Maye walk.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So this means all the WRs were discussing will be available since its Feb and they havent been resigned by their teams?  

Apparently. Teams don't usually resign players once they reach the fa market. Unless it's like Jordan Jenkins who has no suitors 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you want to get a comp pick you have to let Maye walk.

Not true. 

We have plenty of guys who are gonna get signed as FA. Jenkins, Perriman, Poole and some others.  Most likely not 3rd rd guys but a pick is a pick is a pick. I'd take a few extra free 6ths and 7ths any day of the week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Not true. 

We have plenty of guys who are gonna get signed as FA. Jenkins, Perriman, Poole and some others.  Most likely not 3rd rd guys but a pick is a pick is a pick. I'd take a few extra free 6ths and 7ths any day of the week. 

A few?  Nobody signed Poole or Jenkins last year.  I think Douglas tried that trick and nobody bit.  Perriman was worth a 5th this past year.  He sucked and he is a year older.  I don't think he has increased his value.  If you think this talent bereft roster can survive without being on the negative side in that chart, more power to you.  I do not share that sentiment.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I would think the uncertainty of the salary cap right now is hindering these players from re-signing with their current teams.  

The Jets are either 80 or 90 million under, depending on the final number. They have the room to sign Marcus maye. They just don't wanna 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

A few?  Nobody signed Poole or Jenkins last year.  I think Douglas tried that trick and nobody bit.  Perriman was worth a 5th this past year.  He sucked and he is a year older.  I don't think he has increased his value.  If you think this talent bereft roster can survive without being on the negative side in that chart, more power to you.  I do not share that sentiment.  

hahaha bereft. Aint that the truth?

It's gotta start somewhere though. Jenkins and Poole are absolutely gettin signed if we don't keep them. 100% chance. Perriman too among others. Again, we're not talking about top of the heap 3rds coming down the pike, but I wouldn't care if it was 3 7ths.  We've been on the negative side of that equation for years. The slow switch to the other side will begin this year. Even if it doesn't work and we're even on the signings and guys who sign elsewhere. It's a mindset and an extra wrinkle to consider when making your moves. 

If there are two WR's available  with one an UFA anf the other a recent cut. If all things are equal you choose the guy was cut whenever possible. It's the right way to think. If it doesn't work, thats ok too. The issue is the mindset and the consideration. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

hahaha bereft. Aint that the truth?

It's gotta start somewhere though. Jenkins and Poole are absolutely gettin signed if we don't keep them. 100% chance. Perriman too among others. Again, we're not talking about top of the heap 3rds coming down the pike, but I wouldn't care if it was 3 7ths.  We've been on the negative side of that equation for years. The slow switch to the other side will begin this year. Even if it doesn't work and we're even on the signings and guys who sign elsewhere. It's a mindset and an extra wrinkle to consider when making your moves. 

If there are two WR's available  with one an UFA anf the other a recent cut. If all things are equal you choose the guy was cut whenever possible. It's the right way to think. If it doesn't work, thats ok too. The issue is the mindset and the consideration. 

I don't disagree with the sentiment.  I don't think Douglas does either.  I think he tried that a bit.  There are reasons that even Macagnan let guys like Iljalana and Powell dangle on the market and sign one year deals.  I thought they did that with Jenkins and Poole, but looking back, I think Poole signed pretty early.  I do not know about the current value charts, but 7ths are not worth too much and they could probably do better just dropping a few slots here or there in the draft compared to what they will see.  They need a TON of bodies.  Probably short like 5-9 starters.  They are not all coming from the draft, cuts or late signing free agents.  The comp pick formula is always a consideration, but this is not the year to make it paramount.  IMO it will take a masterful job to get a 6th or 7th.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't disagree with the sentiment.  I don't think Douglas does either.  I think he tried that a bit.  There are reasons that even Macagnan let guys like Iljalana and Powell dangle on the market and sign one year deals.  I thought they did that with Jenkins and Poole, but looking back, I think Poole signed pretty early.  I do not know about the current value charts, but 7ths are not worth too much and they could probably do better just dropping a few slots here or there in the draft compared to what they will see.  They need a TON of bodies.  Probably short like 5-9 starters.  They are not all coming from the draft, cuts or late signing free agents.  The comp pick formula is always a consideration, but this is not the year to make it paramount.  IMO it will take a masterful job to get a 6th or 7th.  

I look at 7ths as one of two things. Grabbing the guy who slipped like Donovan People's Jones last year, or Getting a jump on the priority UDFA group. 

2b would be to use for a jump up in the 5th or 6th to grab a guy you like. 

And the important thing for me is that it starts to become a consideration. We have abandoned any idea of the comp pick being a part of our tool chest because we drafted so poorly we needed FA's to get NFL caliber players. All I want to see is a feathering in of this mindset. Even if it doesn't materialze this year, which I think it might, we need to start drafting that pipeline so guys can fill in for the bigger named guys who we let walk in FA. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't disagree with the sentiment.  I don't think Douglas does either.  I think he tried that a bit.  There are reasons that even Macagnan let guys like Iljalana and Powell dangle on the market and sign one year deals.  I thought they did that with Jenkins and Poole, but looking back, I think Poole signed pretty early.  I do not know about the current value charts, but 7ths are not worth too much and they could probably do better just dropping a few slots here or there in the draft compared to what they will see.  They need a TON of bodies.  Probably short like 5-9 starters.  They are not all coming from the draft, cuts or late signing free agents.  The comp pick formula is always a consideration, but this is not the year to make it paramount.  IMO it will take a masterful job to get a 6th or 7th.  

Agreed.  Given the state of the roster, and need to be aggressive in FA, this is not the season to worry too much about comp pick formulas.  Once we can build the roster to the point where we can be competitive, and we actually have our own players worth extending, then we can play the comp pick game.  Which starts with the draft.  Once we have a solid roster, then you can draft to replace guys who are approaching FA in a year or two.  And start to accumulate comp picks.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are not getting comp picks, we have too much fa cash and too many guys to sign.

Re maye, he is NFL quality and has been good at times but he is had his bad moments as well.  I'd make an offer but I am not over paying for him.

I think we will have a lot of our players test the waters and then sign back up after seeing no big market for them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

hahaha bereft. Aint that the truth?

It's gotta start somewhere though. Jenkins and Poole are absolutely gettin signed if we don't keep them. 100% chance. Perriman too among others. Again, we're not talking about top of the heap 3rds coming down the pike, but I wouldn't care if it was 3 7ths.  We've been on the negative side of that equation for years. The slow switch to the other side will begin this year. Even if it doesn't work and we're even on the signings and guys who sign elsewhere. It's a mindset and an extra wrinkle to consider when making your moves. 

If there are two WR's available  with one an UFA anf the other a recent cut. If all things are equal you choose the guy was cut whenever possible. It's the right way to think. If it doesn't work, thats ok too. The issue is the mindset and the consideration. 

Perriman can go plant his flag on the moon. We need to get over place holders. If you’re not part of the future, see ya later. 

I like Maye but he’s old and needs to get paid. I don’t see his chances better than 50/50. JD isnt going to match an offer from a win-now team. He’s a Safety ffs and his name isn’t Ed Reed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Given the state of the roster, and need to be aggressive in FA, this is not the season to worry too much about comp pick formulas.  Once we can build the roster to the point where we can be competitive, and we actually have our own players worth extending, then we can play the comp pick game.  Which starts with the draft.  Once we have a solid roster, then you can draft to replace guys who are approaching FA in a year or two.  And start to accumulate comp picks.

If the Jets get comp picks from Perriman, Jenkins and Poole then JD had a miserable free agency period.  That would mean he signed no one, at least no one of any significance.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Perriman can go plant his flag on the moon. We need to get over place holders. If you’re not part of the future, see ya later. 

I like Maye but he’s old and needs to get paid. I don’t see his chances better than 50/50. JD isnt going to match an offer from a win-now team. He’s a Safety ffs and his name isn’t Ed Reed. 

Just remember, one of the purposes of place holders is to get comp picks.  You sign guys to one year deals and hope your 5th round pick takes their job and someone else signs them as a placeholeder the next year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Perriman can go plant his flag on the moon. We need to get over place holders. If you’re not part of the future, see ya later. 

I like Maye but he’s old and needs to get paid. I don’t see his chances better than 50/50. JD isnt going to match an offer from a win-now team. He’s a Safety ffs and his name isn’t Ed Reed. 

But weren't you the guy telling me that we shouldn't be spending big in free agency this year?  So if we can't sign high-end FA's, and we can't sign or re-sign place holder types, then who should the Jets be signing?  Just Curtis Samuel or Corey Davis and call it a day?  The Jets can't fill out the roster with just draft picks and UDFA's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Perriman can go plant his flag on the moon. We need to get over place holders. If you’re not part of the future, see ya later. 

I like Maye but he’s old and needs to get paid. I don’t see his chances better than 50/50. JD isnt going to match an offer from a win-now team. He’s a Safety ffs and his name isn’t Ed Reed. 

Maye will be franchised of they can't get a contract done. It's sitting at $10.5 mil I believe.Just offer him 10.2 for 3-4 and it's a wrap. 

I agree on Perriman. He needs to go. but he will be signed by someone and therefore factors into the comp pick equation.  I;m hoping that we grab more guys from the cut pile and ;ate rd trades than we do UFA's so we can start to get ahead in the comp pick game. Perriman, Jenkins and Poole help with that.  Poole might even get a 4th if someone pays him like a top 3 nickel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But weren't you the guy telling me that we shouldn't be spending big in free agency this year?  So if we can't sign high-end FA's, and we can't sign or re-sign place holder types, then who should the Jets be signing?  Just Curtis Samuel or Corey Davis and call it a day?  The Jets can't fill out the roster with just draft picks and UDFA's.

Sneaky.

If Maye was 25 sure. But he''ll be 28 I think at kickoff, and while i do think we need to keep some semblance of competence at safety and can't afford to let him go -- i also respect that I wouldn't condone over paying him when he'll likely be on the decline by the time we're finally competitive.

There's a difference between veterans and placeholders. I think you would agree with that. We need some veteran presence on the team. An injury prone never-has-been is not that guy.

I have not seen anything from JD that refutes @football guy 's verbiage about our GM wanting to maintain some annual financial flexibility for the time being, and that means avoiding something like Making Allen Robinson the highest paid WR in the nfl.. (which will likely happen or close to)... so ya, Fcking samuel and Davis are perfect. This last year has really gotten to you if you're arguing that those two are a bad investment and we need to throw the bank at Robinson. 

You know all this. Why fight me on it? 

spiderman-bro-love_o_371392.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Sneaky.

If Maye was 25 sure. But he''ll be 28 I think at kickoff, and while i do think we need to keep some semblance of competence at safety and can't afford to let him go -- i also respect that I wouldn't condone over paying him when he'll likely be on the decline by the time we're finally competitive.

There's a difference between veterans and placeholders. I think you would agree with that. We need some veteran presence on the team. An injury prone never-has-been is not that guy.

I've seen anything from JD that refutes @football guy 's verbiage about our GM wanting to maintain some annual financial flexibility for the time being, and that means avoiding something like Making Allen Robinson the highest paid WR in the nfl.. (which will likely happen or close to)... so ya, Fcking samuel and Davis are perfect. This last year has really gotten to you if you're arguing that those two are a bad investment and we need to throw the bank at Robinson. 

You know all this. Why fight me on it? 

spiderman-bro-love_o_371392.jpg

 

I'd be cool with Davis or Samuel, if that's indeed the best we can get.

I'm not OK with re-signing Maye.  We agree there.

But I don't mind a place-holder like Perriman.  And I especially don't mind going after Godwin, Robinson or Golladay, especially if you can guarantee me Sam Darnold won't be the primary QB for the Jets in 2021.

Ideally, for me, we end up with this at QB/WR:

QB:  Watson or Fields

WR:  Godwin/Robinson/Golladay/Corey Davis, Mims, Crowder, Perriman + a rookie mid rounder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

I'd be cool with Davis or Samuel, if that's indeed the best we can get.

I'm not OK with re-signing Maye.  We agree there.

But I don't mind a place-holder like Perriman.  And I especially don't mind going after Godwin, Robinson or Golladay, especially if you can guarantee me Sam Darnold won't be the primary QB for the Jets in 2021.

Let’s split down the middle. No Darnold but also no market setting contracts for WRs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Let’s split down the middle. No Darnold but also no market setting contracts for WRs. 

With Watson I don't think we'd have to completely re-set the market to get a quality WR here.  With a rookie QB that's a tougher sell.  

Douglas won't get bent over in negotiations there so its kind of a moot point either way.  He's likely not re-setting the market at WR.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With Watson I don't think we'd have to completely re-set the market to get a quality WR here.  With a rookie QB that's a tougher sell.  

Douglas won't get bent over in negotiations there so its kind of a moot point either way.  He's likely not re-setting the market at WR.

There was time a month ago (feels like years) when I was more amendable to Darnold and trading down. New system and a billion picks blah blah. 

I’m over that. Life’s too short. We tried with him and it’s not important any more who’s to blame. It is what it is and we have the #2. 

gimme fields and let’s join the 2020s in the NFL and stop to trying to reinvent 2004. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...