Report: Seahawks management not happy with Russell Wilson

mrcoops

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine being Wilson, getting sacked five times per game because your GM makes it a sport to go cheap on OL every offseason, and then you watch him trade two firsts and a third for a sh*tty strong safety who wants $20 mil per year. I’d be furious.

The idea that Seattle goes cheap on OL is silly.  Since they drafted Wilson they have spent a 1st, two 2nds and two 3rds.  They traded a insane.  They traded for Duane Brown.  They paid Iupati, Brandon Shell, BJ FInney,  They took shots on guys like Fluker, Fant, Bradley Sowell, Ogbuehi.  They do not know how to put a good offensive line together, but the idea that they haven't tried is misguided.  They are traits guys.  Apparently they have not figured out what traits make a good offensive lineman.  They keep ending up with low experience basketball players and TEs (Fant, Sowell) starting.  They have had trouble putting it together since Russell Okung represented himself out of town in 2016.  At the time, I thiink we all looked at it as a smart move not ponying up a ton of money for him.  I think his weirdo contract in Denver is what let them deal Clady to us.  Strangely, that guy is still playing pretty well. 

• Upvote 1

The 2020 Seahawks were a pretender 12-4 team, which is weird, because normally when you win 12 you're a threat to at least make it to the Conference Championship. I believe it's all downhill from here on out for the Seahawks with the NFC West getting stronger in the coming years. I look at the Seahawks ceiling as nothing more than first round playoff FODDER in the NFC until they finally tear it down and rebuild. They'll never sniff another championship with Russell Wilson as their starter. They're going back to those end of the Matt Hasselbeck years.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The idea that Seattle goes cheap on OL is silly.  Since they drafted Wilson they have spent a 1st, two 2nds and two 3rds.  They traded a insane.  They traded for Duane Brown.  They paid Iupati, Brandon Shell, BJ FInney,  They took shots on guys like Fluker, Fant, Bradley Sowell, Ogbuehi.  They do not know how to put a good offensive line together, but the idea that they haven't tried is misguided.  They are traits guys.  Apparently they have not figured out what traits make a good offensive lineman.  They keep ending up with low experience basketball players and TEs (Fant, Sowell) starting.  They have had trouble putting it together since Russell Okung represented himself out of town in 2016.  At the time, I thiink we all looked at it as a smart move not ponying up a ton of money for him.  I think his weirdo contract in Denver is what let them deal Clady to us.  Strangely, that guy is still playing pretty well. 

I absolutely understand where you’re going but when “They paid...Brandon Shell” is part of your argument, Jets fans will look at you sideways a little.

They’ve certainly struggled to protect him, and he holds the ball too long. Sounds like he wanted discussion, seems reasonable.

And TomShane’s point about the Adams trade is super reasonable.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine being Wilson, getting sacked five times per game because your GM makes it a sport to go cheap on OL every offseason, and then you watch him trade two firsts and a third for a sh*tty strong safety who wants $20 mil per year. I’d be furious.

Imagine having a game based on holding onto the ball forever and blaming the OL because you're not tall enough to get the ball out quickly.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The 2020 Seahawks were a pretender 12-4 team, which is weird, because normally when you win 12 you're a threat to at least make it to the Conference Championship. I believe it's all downhill from here on out for the Seahawks with the NFC West getting stronger in the coming years. I look at the Seahawks ceiling as nothing more than first round playoff FODDER in the NFC until they finally tear it down and rebuild. They'll never sniff another championship with Russell Wilson as their starter. They're going back to those end of the Matt Hasselbeck years.

I see this as a classic overreaction.  They were 4-2 in that division.  Stafford is an older dude, I don't see him killing their long-term outlook.  Losing those picks for Adams has to hurt, but they are pretty good at finding talent outside of the top of the draft - Wilson is exhibit A of that.

8 minutes ago, derp said:

I absolutely understand where you’re going but when “They paid...Brandon Shell” is part of your argument, Jets fans will look at you sideways a little.

They’ve certainly struggled to protect him, and he holds the ball too long. Sounds like he wanted discussion, seems reasonable.

And TomShane’s point about the Adams trade is super reasonable.

That is because my point isn't that Shane is so far off.  I am sure Wilson is not happy with the offensive line.  My point is that his internal dialouge that the GM makes it a sport of going cheap on offensive line flat out wrong.  I honestly suspect that they would prefer to bargain shop for linemen, but sign, trade and draft to placate Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, yocousinvinny said:

Let the toxicity sweep through the organization. That 2021 pick is all that matters to me oh and depriving Jamal of success. 

Seriously

If they move on from WIlson, they can't even tank properly because they don't have their #1 next year.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I see this as a classic overreaction.  They were 4-2 in that division.  Stafford is an older dude, I don't see him killing their long-term outlook.  Losing those picks for Adams has to hurt, but they are pretty good at finding talent outside of the top of the draft - Wilson is exhibit A of that.

Stafford was born February, 1988.  

Russell was born November, 1988.  Stafford affects the Seahawks long term about as long as Wilson does.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, GreekJet said:

I’d be pissed too if I was Seattle. What more does the guy want? He’s won a super bowl, been to it twice, and is in the playoffs every year. 

Players nowadays forget that their contract is to play. Not be GMs (Or in charge of finding one). I am no fan of those who whine and complain or air out the dirty laundry. 

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

They won 12 a year ago, 23 over the last 2 seasons and 33 over the last three

All I have to do is pretend the Jets won the same?

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Stafford was born February, 1988.  

Russell was born November, 1988.  Stafford affects the Seahawks long term about as long as Wilson does.

9 months! 

Okay, so Stafford could stick around forever.  It remains to be seen how he performs in LA.  I feel like Stafford is kind of like Palmer in Arizona.  

• Upvote 1

Unlike Watson, Wilson isn't exactly universally liked.  But even so, Seattle is definitely a lot more in the wrong than Wilson is in this situation.  How do you trade two 1sts and a 3rd for a Box Safety, and then give that GM an extension after that decision clearly blows up in the org's face.  Ludicrous.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

Same people who are upset the Hawks didn't protect Wilson wanted them to trade 3 premium draft picks for a strong saftey and give him 20 million bucks.

See, that's the thing.  I don't think anyone wanted the Seahawks to do this.  Even the Seattle fans who were high on Adams felt this was way too high of a price to pay. 

The only ones who were happy about the trade were Jets fans, except for a small but vocal minority of Jets fans who somehow felt that Adams is a "game changer", and still do to this day.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

That's their problem. He's 32 and disgruntled. I wouldn't trade the 2 overall for him though I might trade other assets for him. 

3-way trade involving Seattle and Houston wherein the Jets end up with Watson and JJ Watt and Houston gets Wilson.  We can even take Whitney Mercilus to provide Houston with further cap relief, if needed.

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

See, that's the thing.  I don't think anyone wanted the Seahawks to do this.  Even the Seattle fans who were high on Adams felt this was way too high of a price to pay. 

The only ones who were happy about the trade were Jets fans, except for a small but vocal minority of Jets fans who somehow felt that Adams is a "game changer", and still do to this day.

I dunno I checked the Seahawk boards after Seattles playoff loss and they love Adams...and don't get me started on the media.  Haven't heard one person bring up maybe trading for Adams was poor asset allocation. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Non story imo.

It's only a non-story to the extent that I highly doubt Wilson ends up going anywhere.  But it IS relevant that both Seattle and Wilson are having a falling out. 

The Seahawks drew a line in the sand by extending John Schneider thru 2027.  If Wilson doesn't like the direction the franchise is headed (nor should he) this could get ugly by next offseason.  Especially if Seattle doesn't make the playoffs in 2021.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, undertow said:

I dunno I checked the Seahawk boards after Seattles playoff loss and they love Adams...and don't get me started on the media.  Haven't heard one person bring up maybe trading for Adams was poor asset allocation. 

Just wait till he starts whining about his contract.  Any "honeymoon period" that Seattle fans had for Adams will be over quickly at that point.

Also, reality is going to set in very quickly when the 2021 draft comes and the more casual fans remember they only have one pick in the first 3 rounds.  Not good for a team that has a lot of needs and no cap space whatsoever.

I still can't believe they extended John Schneider thru 2027.  Completely laughable decision that can't be overstated.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is because my point isn't that Shane is so far off.  I am sure Wilson is not happy with the offensive line.  My point is that his internal dialouge that the GM makes it a sport of going cheap on offensive line flat out wrong.  I honestly suspect that they would prefer to bargain shop for linemen, but sign, trade and draft to placate Wilson. 

I guess to me you're stretching that to his internal dialogue and I see him saying the line needs to be better - I'm sure he'd be fine with a discount line if it was good. I think he's just saying obvious stuff and people are bored because there's nothing to talk about right now between the end of the season and free agency and that's turning this into more than it is.

"I’ve definitely been hit. I’ve been sacked almost 400 times. We got to get better. I got to find ways to get better, too. Just continue to try and find that. As we continue to go along the process and I think about my career wand what I want to be able to do, it always starts up front, offensively and defensively."

"I want to be involved. At the end of the day, it's your legacy, your team's legacy.... It helps to be involved more. That dialogue should happen more often."

To me these are both no duh comments. He gets hit a lot. They need to fix that, him included. Up front play is important. And almost everyone thinks that their opinion is helpful so him expressing that he feels that way isn't newsworthy either. People add subtext of their own and it gets out of control like a game of telephone. The other thread on here about this is "Quarterbacks now want to run the front office".

Player A sees player B getting all sorts of attention for being disgruntled.

Media A talking to payer A will bait with questions.

Player A has his little beef without really beefing too much,

Media B jumps all over the story and says management is mad.

Big deal this stuff happens all the time.

these guys, wilson and watson, are seeing a guy like brady go to the team of his choice and winning the show.  they're thinking why they would want to stay on a rebuilding team when they can join a winner.  but at the same time nobody forced either of these guys to sign their contracts.  they're getting paid handsomely and that high salary is possibly impacting how well the rest of the team performs.  i certainly don't mind any player getting he can but they also need to man up and understand they can't be part of the solution if they're part of the problem.

we'll see soon enough what happens.  maybe this qb salary frenzy will be toned down a bit.  maybe we won't be seeing qb's on the same team for decades.  it could be good.

• Sympathy 1