Stat Based NFL Comps: Zach Wilson vs Justin Fields

Shockwave

Most Qb theories I see start and end like this re the Jets.

- The MUST get a long term QB this year at any cost!  Either via trade or draft.

Why?  Well because there will never ever be a quality Qb available in the draft or via trade ever again!

I don't think that is that case.

Sign or trade for a mid grade QB and keep Sam Darnold.

Trade down from #2 where imo there is no clear cut franchise QB, both fields and wilson are great or bad or between depending on who you talk to and what stat line you look at.

Use the ton of draft capital you get for trading down to add a lot of good players this year and be set up with 3 or more 1st rounders next year to make a play for a QB.

I guarantee you this time next year we will be talking about 2 or 3 great franchise QBs available in the 2022 draft.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

7 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Nice geek.  

Where's this from?

PFF

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Do you have a link to the full study, because I am confused by what is posted.  Fields is at 7.19 projected yards per attempt and 62.83 projected completion percent.  Wilson's numbers are 7.22 and 62.91%, respectively.  Which sounds pretty close, but the conclusion is the gap between Wilson and Fields is pretty wide. 

Is there something I am missing?

Def more Stats and longer article on PFF site. Some if Free on the site and it’s discussed on their YouTube for free as well. 

• Sympathy 1

I absolutely think Fields needs some refinement. Also think his talent is pretty obvious. Wilson’s is too. Both come with risks. Fields is the one getting nitpicked really hard right now.

I think kind of implied in this argument is that it’s a comparison of the two at the second overall pick. But the way Fields is getting analyzed right now it seems like he might slide a little. And I do think it’s more a choose your favorite but they’re close thing at two, to the point that the better player could easily be the guy who goes later. Which has happened in drafts...a lot.

Is anyone really going to be surprised when Fields goes around ten, give or take a few picks, then five years later he’s the best quarterback in the class and @JiF is saying I told you so? Because it’s starting to feel like that’s how it’s going to happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

3 or 4 first round picks.

The fact that history has shown you do not have to trade up to #1 to get the best QBs.

May also be able to trade for a QB next year.

What history has shown is that it's extremely hard to be in a position to draft a top QB prospect. Other than that, you have to win the lottery with a later pick. I hate lotteries. The Jets need to pick a QB at #2.

• Upvote 2

Below is Monson, who has loudly admitted to being wrong on Allen and is one the PFF guys who manage to annoy everyone including two of our favorite Jet Nation posters who rarely get annoyed about anything  @TomShane @Irish Jet 

PFF was way wrong on Josh Allen, and collectively though Baker Mayfield was the top qb in the 2018 draft.

I enjoy PFF stat geeking but their track record on qbs is far from infallible.

Don't take PFF's word on Wilson and Fields as gospel... 

(or Old Testament, Dead Sea scrolls or another religious book I can't mention for fear of having a fatwa issued)

Ejv-FCaWsAI6UXq.thumb.jpeg.bd37cf33a341d255cfef8ab964d5952b.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

It’s PFF. I saw the info in this article a while back and couldn’t really figure it out so I avoided it. I’m glad someone on this site was good enough to contextualize it. 

Yes.

They talk a lot about it as well for anyone that’s interested. 

if we are going by PFF stats it would be negligent to pass on Penei Sewell, who recorded the highest offensive line grade in their history. Sewell's 2019 season scored higher than Quenton Nelson and Ryan Ramcyzk at 2 and 3. Sewell is also the only true sophomore Outland trophy in CFB history. It's fait to say Sewell's PFF grade is far more elite than Fields or Wilson's. I mean, if we are going by PFF grades as a be all and end all, right?

as for the stats above i.e. Wilson vs Fields, the fact that Fields' stats come against better competition has to count for something

it's like looking at GPA from someone who went to Public school 123 vs Bronx Science. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!

Fields played against some of the best college talent in the country Wilson complied his stats primarily this year against C level competition during a pandemic has to be taken into account as well. Wilson played poorly last year Poorly.... 

Indeed Fields stats line up well against Lawrence's, the idea that he is some crazy scrub and that Wilson already is superior in ANYWAY to Watson is utter Madness!!! 

Fields is being mocked as the QB 4 in some places already. I’ve seen him behind Trey Lance in some places. I even saw a former NFL GM have him behind Mac Jones. Why?

Btw Fields and Wilson both graded higher then Lawrence this year. 

18 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Below is Monson, who has loudly admitted to being wrong on Allen and is one the PFF guys who manage to annoy everyone including two of our favorite Jet Nation posters who rarely get annoyed about anything  @TomShane @Irish Jet 

PFF was way wrong on Josh Allen, and collectively though Baker Mayfield was the top qb in the 2018 draft.

I enjoy PFF stat geeking but their track record on qbs is far from infallible.

Don't take PFF's word on Wilson and Fields as gospel... 

(or Old Testament, Dead Sea scrolls or another religious book I can't mention for fear of having a fatwa issued)

Ejv-FCaWsAI6UXq.thumb.jpeg.bd37cf33a341d255cfef8ab964d5952b.jpeg

An important reminder that the so called "experts" are typically wrong as often as the average fan.

There are multiple posters on this board who I've seen make more accurate predictions and evaluations than a guy like McShay.

I enjoy some of what PFF does but my opinions are going to be decided by what I see, because I tend to be right as often as them anyway.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Do you have a link to the full study, because I am confused by what is posted.  Fields is at 7.19 projected yards per attempt and 62.83 projected completion percent.  Wilson's numbers are 7.22 and 62.91%, respectively.  Which sounds pretty close, but the conclusion is the gap between Wilson and Fields is pretty wide. 

Is there something I am missing?

Yes, you are missing a poster trying to extrapolate statistics to justify his preconceived preference of 1 prospect over another. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i agree and i think he'll be a plug and play starter with star potential.  i've said here many times that i love him and hope the jets don't over think this.

• He plays like Mahomes and Rogers.

• CLEARLY unreasonable to expect he ever ascends to their level.

• If he becomes half the player that they are, then its a win and a franchise quarterback for 12-15 years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

What history has shown is that it's extremely hard to be in a position to draft a top QB prospect. Other than that, you have to win the lottery with a later pick. I hate lotteries. The Jets need to pick a QB at #2.

So if blake bortles and blaine gabbert and mariota and goff and winston are sitting there you have to take them.

Hey if you are convinced that Fields or wilson are 100% Grade A QBs with very few if any faults then you take them.

Forcing up QB value due to need gets you a lot of pain.  And as we have seen the last few years with watson, mahommes, herbert.  You do not have to take a QB top 1 or 2 if the right guy is not there.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1