Dak Prescott could be the NY Jets’ 2021 starting QB

Bronx

11 hours ago, Shockwave said:

2019 he was a top 10 player. 

Before that: 22-24 TD's/8-10 Int is not a top 10 player. It is definitely not worth a First rounder plus 35-40m a year. 

Best bet is Dallas to let him play on that Franchise tag. Make sure he's healthy. See who he really is. 

Dak was a 4th round pick (#135) thrust into starting as a rookie when Romo went down in his last game ever. He has developed into a top 10 Qb. 

27 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Dak was a 4th round pick (#135) thrust into starting as a rookie when Romo went down in his last game ever. He has developed into a top 10 Qb. 

It's just health with him.   He completes 66% of his passes, 106 to 40 TD to int ratio, and he was mobile.  As a 26 year old he threw for 4900 yards with 30 TDs.

It just depends on the ankle, and if he is what he was before. 

• Upvote 2

Watson is obviously the crown jewel if he indeed comes available to us.  But I'm not going to thumb my nose at the idea of acquiring a top 10 QB who is just 27 years old.  

If his long-term health is a serious concern, fine, take that into account.  But the upside of even just 6 more years of elite/2nd tier QB play is absolutely worth looking into.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Watson is obviously the crown jewel if he indeed comes available to us.  But I'm not going to thumb my nose at the idea of acquiring a top 10 QB who is just 27 years old.  

If his long-term health is a serious concern, fine, take that into account.  But the upside of even just 6 more years of elite/2nd tier QB play is absolutely worth looking into.

80.... if Dak fails to sign his Franchise Tag prior to the draft, can his rights be traded?

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

80.... if Dak fails to sign his Franchise Tag prior to the draft, can his rights be traded?

The deadline is in July.  Refusal to sign by then, and he simply becomes ineligible to play in 2021.  Hence why tagged players rarely refuse to sign the tag.  Le'Veon Bell being a very rare example.

So realistically, Dallas' options are to try to tag (then either trade him or have him play out the season) OR let him walk as a FA (the latter is unlikely).

Dak's options would be to sign the tag or sit out the season.  

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The deadline is in July.  Refusal to sign by then, and he simply becomes ineligible to play in 2021.  Hence why tagged players rarely refuse to sign the tag.  Le'Veon Bell being a very rare example.

So realistically, Dallas' options are to try to tag (then either trade him or have him play out the season) OR let him walk as a FA (the latter is unlikely).

Dak's options would be to sign the tag or sit out the season.  

So are you saying his rights could be traded as long as the Tag is applied prior to the trade. Then if Dak does not sign his Tag prior to July deadline, he sits out but we still hold his rights if we Tag him the following season?. This Tag would be his 2nd. I think a player can only  be tagged 3x..... correct?

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So are you saying his rights could be traded as long as the Tag is applied prior to the trade. Then if Dak does not sign his Tag prior to July deadline, he sits out but we still hold his rights if we Tag him the following season?. This Tag would be his 2nd. I think a player can only  be tagged 3x..... correct?

No, he can't be traded until he signs the tag.  The Cowboys can't trade him until he signs it.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's completed 66 % of his throws in his career.  What are you talking about?

He may look accurate, but struggles seeing defenses and holds the ball too long many times. He gets a lot of his stats vs terrible teams. He struggles vs good teams. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2021 at 7:10 AM, CanadaSteve said:

Wouldn't it just be better to draft one of these QB's that we always seem to have a chance to draft.  I mean, Dax Prescott, Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garapolo.  How many times does a team have to NOT pick a QB that is a starter elsewhere?  Maybe we keep picking QB's until we get one right?  Is that such a crazy draft strategy?

The flip side is the jets ( I think) have picked the most QBs in the draft over the past 10 drafts. Unfortunately 7 of those drafts were controlled by idzik or Mac.

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's completed 66 % of his throws in his career.  What are you talking about?

That might be his stats but I watch the Cowboys almost every week and he misses a lot of clutch throws.... by a lot. I like Dak for many reasons but putting the ball where it needs to be more times than not he misses the big throws. Why do u think the Cowboys want to trade him? He’ll never get the money he’s asking for from Dallas. Very good QB but I’ll pass.