JJ Watt Released

prime21

11 minutes ago, undertow said:

The media have been trashing the Texans and O'Brien since McNair said "you can't let the prisoners run the prison" like 7 years ago.  That's what this is all really about the media has been waiting to pounce for years.  

Well its the comment itself AND what it exposed about how the Texans run things that is pertinent here.  Not only did Bob McNair say what he said, everything they've done as an org before and since that comment suggests they believe it and show no remorse for that perspective.  It essentially amounts to being an org motto of sorts.

Only now do you have players feeling empowered enough to say something about it.  You had Andre Johnson coming out of the woodwork to support Watson and back him on what he had to say about how poorly they run things and the pretty open contempt with which they treat their own players.  That's meaningful. 

For as inept as the Jets are, they don't seem to openly treat players like objects, at least not like the Texans seem to do.  Jets alums like Brandon Marshall, Damien Woody, etc don't have anything negative to say about the Johnson's in the sense of how the players get treated.  The criticism is levied against the decisions that impact wins and losses.  That's a pretty stark and important difference.  Now that the Texans had a terrible season and there are zero signs that things will get better any time soon, the W-L record AND the optics will both be terrible.  Even if they had money to spend, what free agents are going to sign there without a massive overpay?

Hence why moving forward, the Jets org will prove to be much better under Douglas/the Johnson's than the Texans will be under the McNair/Easterby combo.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So even after freeing up this space, the Texans go from $13.4M over the projected cap to just $4.1M under.  They have needs everywhere, the QB wants out, and they don't currently have a 1st OR 2nd round pick in 2021.

Yikes.  What a mess.

80 wouldn’t you think the new GM coming into this situation with no pick until #67, no cap space and an unhappy FQb this is your opportunity to start over. There’s no coming back from where they are for at least 3-4 seasons. It also provides you an excuse for a few seasons for rebuilding.
I know you & I would love having Watson but Jags worry me :

Rd  1: #1, #25

Rd  2: #33, #45

Rd  3: #65

Rd  4: #97, #121

If Myers wants DW & DW cool with Jags Houston could conceivably trade back more than once & get Fields or Wilson or Lance with a ton of picks and get back to winning in a short time period. 
Houston could control this draft.  

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

80 wouldn’t you think the new GM coming into this situation with no pick until #67, no cap space and an unhappy FQb this is your opportunity to start over. There’s no coming back from where they are for at least 3-4 seasons. It also provides you an excuse for a few seasons for rebuilding.
I know you & I would love having Watson but Jags worry me :

Rd  1: #1, #25

Rd  2: #33, #45

Rd  3: #65

Rd  4: #97, #121

If Myers wants DW & DW cool with Jags Houston could conceivably trade back more than once & get Fields or Wilson or Lance with a ton of picks and get back to winning in a short time period. 
Houston could control this draft.  

2 things preventing this:  1) There's no way the Texans want to face Watson 2x a year for the next decade, and 2) There's a decent chance Watson would block a trade to Jacksonville, even if he loves the idea of an annual "revenge tour".

And if the Texans DID trade for # 1, they're taking Lawrence.  Period.  A "trade Watson then trade down" plan isn't realistic.  They'd probably ask for a lot more out of Jacksonville than they'd get from us in this plan, just to ensure they weaken the Jaguars as much as possible while giving themselves a ton of picks to build around Lawrence.

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

And it's worth mentioning, I ALWAYS thought the Jets were the biggest train wreck of an organization. Well, the Texans have officially made the Jets their BITCH when it comes to dysfunction. It's actually quite nice to know from the standpoint of a Jets fan? Not that means we'll improve our win total.....

What a win for the Jets!

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

J.J. is free at last.  Good for him.

Injuries have robbed him of his peak greatness but he is one of the best all-around players and characters in the game from what I've seen.  Not sure what he's got left, but if JD wanted to bring him in, I'd love to see him wearing the uniform for a season or three.

Apparently he graded as one of the better pass rushing ends last year, despite age/injuries.

Nonetheless, pass. Money and an chance to win ring are JJ's agenda. He'll get neither here. lol 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2 things preventing this:  1) There's no way the Texans want to face Watson 2x a year for the next decade, and 2) There's a decent chance Watson would block a trade to Jacksonville, even if he loves the idea of an annual "revenge tour".

And if the Texans DID trade for # 1, they're taking Lawrence.  Period.  A "trade Watson then trade down" plan isn't realistic.  They'd probably ask for a lot more out of Jacksonville than they'd get from us in this plan, just to ensure they weaken the Jaguars as much as possible while giving themselves a ton of picks to build around Lawrence.

Fears allayed ! Thanks

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Fears allayed ! Thanks

Yeah but I'm no insider and don't want to give you false hope here.  This is the Texans we're talking about.  Just when I think they can't get any dumber, they do more dumb things. 

So while I think there is an extremely low likelihood that Watson ends up a Jaguar, its not a less than 1 % chance kind of deal, either.  Let's go with 3 % chance.  lol. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

2 brothers

Houston now going full rebuild. Drafting a Qb is the only way through this. Watson will be shipped out and they will start over with young hungry players looking for an opportunity. Cesario will establish the NE game plan with team first and very few FA signings until team depth is established 

I always thought the NE gameplan was "Draft like sh!t, and let Tom carry us."

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

BS!!!!

they didn’t want the backlash of having no problems trading a white player and keeping a black player held hostage. 

Deshaun to the Jets is looking more likely everyday imo ?‍♂️

Once again, I sit hear reading some news and all of a sudden race becomes an issue.

this has NOTHING to do with race. please stop.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:
1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Once again, I sit hear reading some news and all of a sudden race becomes an issue.

this has NOTHING to do with race. please stop.

I must be getting older because I think a lot of posters here are younger and younger. 

Sign Watt??? The dude is OLD AF, BROKEN and DONE.

The Jets of old always brought in dinosaur stars and its NEVER EVER worked out.

This is FOOLS GOLD, even on the cheap!

4 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

At what point does Goodell get involved? 

How is this a bad move for the Texans?

He was due 17.5 million.   He didn't want to be there.   Rather than trade him, they released him early so he could find the best possible fit for himself.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

He was due 17.5 million.   He didn't want to be there.   Rather than trade him, they released him early so he could find the best possible fit for himself.

I'm not talking about this move in particular, in general. Easterby(who is a team chaplain) has taken control of the organization and is systematically getting rid of anyone who doesn't show complete fealty.

It's one of the most bizarre situations I've ever seen in terms of sports.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Shockwave said:

One more thing. 

Like I mentioned in several Deshaun Threads. 

JJ Watt asked for his release and they granted it. He prob would have got a mid round pick. 

How do you do that and then force Deshaun to stay? No way Deshaun is going back to that team. 

Watson is younger and has more value. Watt's got the name but his game has fallen off a cliff with age/injury. Two totally different situations IMO.

If Watson was Matt Ryan or Matt Stafford, you'd have a better argument.

20 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Listen to yourself.

so should we have been this nice with jamal? Just let him walk? So he can find something he likes? Or maybe we should take 2 1st rounders for his services like we did!

This is a business not a hippy commune.

can I have your car?

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

Listen to yourself.

so should we have been this nice with jamal? Just let him walk? So he can find something he likes? Or maybe we should take 2 1st rounders for his services like we did!

This is a business not a hippy commune.

can I have your car?

They let him go early, tried to be nice to a guy who asked for his release.

It would have looked better for them if they traded him for a 4th rounder in March?

15 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

One more thing. 

JJ Watt asked for his release and they granted it. He prob would have got a mid round pick. 

How do you do that and then force Deshaun to stay? No way Deshaun is going back to that team. 

Thanks for not pointing out the color of their skin.

but great point. Deshawn wants out, they say no way.

watt wants out, ok no problem just go. We wont even trade you elsewhere for a 3rd.

yea im no watson fan but id be extra pissed this morning 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

They let him go early, tried to be nice to a guy who asked for his release.

It would have looked better for them if they traded him for a 4th rounder in March?

As a fan Id expect to get something in return.

dont tell me youd be ok with releasing becton or jamal or any jet without maximizing your return

Texans made the right call.  He was way too expensive for a once-great-player clearly on the last laps of the downside of his career.  

Watts may still have a year or two in the perfect situation where he might produce, but he's not reliable and not the HOF'er-level producer he once was.

But people have heard of him, so I fully expect the "SIGN HIM NAOW!!!!" folks to do their usual thing.

1 hour ago, undertow said:

They have made the playoffs 6 times in the last 10 years, won the division 6 times, and won 4 playoff games in the same period.  This idea the Texans are the Detroit Lions or the Jets is a complete media creation to cap for Watson and because they hate the owner.  It sounds like there's some weird sh*t going on there no doubt but trying to re-write history to fit your narrative is mental. 

Agreed, they’ve been much better in the past decade. But it’s looking like McNair and Easterby are the worst current ownership/management tandem. They've stripped their roster completely bare while instilling a cult atmosphere that’s chasing their best players out the door. And hired an absolute nobody head coach.

Who has a worse future outlook than the Houston Texans? 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

One more thing. 

No offense, but this is a ridiculous take.

Watson is an elite, 25 year old Franchise QB.

Watts is a broken down unreliable, vastly over-priced Edge.

No, they wouldn't have got a mid-round pick because no one is dumb enough to take on Watts contract and cost as it exists now.

Old broken Vets get released all the time, elite franchise QB's at age 25 don't.

No need to make more of something that is actually is.  There is no hidden agenda here.  Just two very different reality for two very different players at this point in heir respective careers. 

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

One more thing. 

It’s called a contract. It takes 2 sides to agree on breaking it. It is not to Houston advantage to do that now. In the future it will

46 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

And this to me only looks like Watson stays. They are shedding $$$$ anywhere else they can to keep Watson, as they should.

They will incur heavy financial ramifications if they trade away Watson, true.  But they're f**ked cap wise whether they keep him or not.  Cutting Watt today took them from $13.4M over the cap to just $4.1M under it.

The finances of the situation are not really a limiting factor in whether they trade Watson or not.  Either way they were going to need to shed contracts.  Whitney Mercilus will be next on the chopping block.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

As a fan Id expect to get something in return.

dont tell me youd be ok with releasing becton or jamal or any jet without maximizing your return

Yes, because a 23 year old on his rookie deal is the same as a 32 year old who was the face of the franchise and has now been injured 4 out of 5 years.

• Sympathy 2