Wilson not a BYU captain

Paradis

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Actually we should obsess over maximizing value, forego drafting a QB, and grab the best available defensive lineman. It’s called team building ever heard of it

Isn't this where we went wrong with passing on Watson and Mahomes? They're graded out as 10-20, so you can't draft them at 6. Of course you can. 

29 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

His podcast last week. Said Wilson doesn’t have a strong arm.

Kind of odd because I’ve heard some guys say he has a rocket. 

Couldn't find the podcast you referred to, but just yesterday Pauline put out his current player ranking and he has Fields and Wilson ranked 4th and 5th respectively ...

4. Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

Justin Fields is a quarterback I find very impressive. While he’s shorter and smaller than I usually like in a signal-caller, Fields has all the other skills to be a dominant starter in the NFL. He’s a talented passer with great patience and poise. He possesses a next-level arm, and while he needs to improve his pass placement, Fields has next-level accuracy. Fields is also a threat to run with the ball, but he does so only when completely necessary.

For comparative purposes, Fields is a much better passer than Kyler Murray and a much better physical package than Baker Mayfield.

5. Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

If there’s a faster-rising prospect in the nation than Zach Wilson, I’m not aware of him. Except for the fact he’s short, Wilson checks all the boxes you want in a quarterback at the next level — smart, tough, athletic, plus the arm strength necessary to make all the throws.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Isn't this where we went wrong with passing on Watson and Mahomes? They're graded out as 10-20, so you can't draft them at 6. Of course you can. 

The whole discussion around Fields just gives me a feeling that's exactly what it's going to turn into.  More Watson than Mahomes really, but it just seems like the parallels in the buildup, subsequent decline, and overall surrounding narrative with Fields is incredibly similar to Watson.  

I love Fields as a player. But it's almost this anecdotal feeling I have about him getting the "Watson" treatment as a prospect that gives me more confidence about him than anything. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JTJet said:

What's true? That he wasnt a captain? So what. His entire team has defended this kid at every turn. 80%+ of the league weren't captains on their college teams. 

This was simply doubt being put out into the wind by teams drafting 3-10. 

Yes, that he wasnt captain.  80% dont play Qb.  There are only 32 Qb's in the league, being a leader is big part of it.  Separate the good from the great.  If you dont think it's an issues, fine, agree to disagree.  I think it outweighs talent in many ways, specifically at that position.

The fact he's already a goobery douche, just adds to the concern that he's goobery douche.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is so easy to settle.  This is from SEP 4, 2020

https://www.si.com/college/byu/news/byu-football-names-eight-captains-in-2020

So no, he was not a team captain and anyone trying to spin it differently is just outright lying to you.

Of note is that three of the offensive captains were juniors, so this wasn't an honor reserved for seniors only.

https://byucougars.com/story/football/1293995/kalani-sitake-announces-byu-team-captains-leadership-council

I presume this was somewhat based on the 2019 season, when Wilson was hurt, so maybe it's not such a glaring thing, but it does seem odd that out of four captains, the QB wasn't one.

THE PLOT THICKENS

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I have no idea where the dude fits, but ff Fields is worth drafting at 8 then he's worth drafting at 2. 

that line of thinking is fine for fans and fan owners like jerruh. Maybe it's even the correct way to think. I am not convinced JD thinks this way 

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

Also former Jets scout says--

Former Jets scout?  You mean a guy who evaluated and supported the Jets taking Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, Hackenberg, etc?

And "Lacks arm strength" is kinda the opposite of what most people have been saying about this guy making all the throws, having elite arm talent, etc.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Former Jets scout?  You mean a guy who evaluated and supported the Jets taking Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, Hackenberg, etc?

And "Lacks arm strength" is kinda the opposite of what most people have been saying about this guy making all the throws, having elite arm talent, etc.

I found that last part so funny. The ball jolts out of his hand nearly every time.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Theres actually a sports illlustrated story about him. It’s a nice little read. Could have been me lolol

this thread was for fun, but the Wilson Tiger Beat club seems bent on hanging a lantern on this joke of a Scout. Maybe they should take more than an ejaculation’s worth of time to look into it. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/.amp/news/ny-jets-daniel-kelly-nfl-scout-cancer-against-the-odds?__twitter_impression=true

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yes the dude that blew a 4th on James Morgan would never jump the gun on a QB by 6 slots. 

6 slots sounds like nothing right? 

According to the draft value chart the difference between 2 and the 8 pick is 800 points. Or the 21 pick 

That 4th Rd pick for Morgan he squeezed out of the difference between 48 and 59 for Denzel mims 

Again, there's what the internet would do and what jd will do. The man does not want to reach 

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

They isolated each of the top 4 qbs longest cfb throws.  Trevor, fields both had longer more effortless throws that were completions

Zach wilson threw a 61 yard incompletion but he put his whole body into it. He had like a running start. Fields was like a flick of the wrist and he completed vs Clemson. Trevor has the best arm of them all, just a pure arm talent. 

Wilson does not have an elite arm in terms of mph (like Brees) and the radar gun will back it up. Whether that matters or not is up to you. Having a weak arm did not matter for Watson 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JiF said:

goobery douche.

Almost every single time I've ever gone to see a movie in a theater I've purchased Goobers. I don't even see those things sold anywhere else. I never think about them ever. but as soon as I walk into a theater I look into the candy case to see if they are there. First thing!   It's almost bizarre at this point.  but I want them. 

Is that what you're saying? That Zach is of the same ilk?  I would not have a problem drafting a goobery douche if that were the case and I'm not really sure why that's an issue.  Unless of course you're a Raisinets guy. 

Let’s see, which QB did this scout recommend? Sanchez? Geno? Hackensh*t? Darnold? Or was it Mahomes, Watson, Josh and Lamar?
Anything a firmer Hets scour says about QB, you can take it with a grain of salt. 

He was a scout during the Parcells years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

The captains were all seniors who did their Mormon missions. He was a true Junior. Still wore a C on his chest. I still like Fields more (but am ok with Wilson), but this story is nothing

Nope.  Not correct at all.

Three of the four offensive captains elected to start the season were juniors.  

• Upvote 1

High school recruits get tested nowadays. So we already have a sense how these guys are going to test.

Wilson: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/224129/zachary-wilson

Lawrence: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/200786/trevor-lawrence

Fields: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/218572/justin-fields

Their power throw number gives you a sense of upper body strength. Fields 39.5, Wilson 38.5, Lawrence 38.0.

In terms of arm strength the radar gun is best. So we will have to wait for that. But for now just look at highlights since those will be their best throws. For Wilson, his farthest completion was at the  2:00 minute mark. Using the dimension of the field and some math, you can calculate that throw to be 60 yards. You can also time how long it took to get there and estimate that it came out of his hands at roughly 52 mph. For comparison, Baker threw a Hail Mary in a similar situation that traveled 72 yards and I calculated it came out of his hand at 55 mph. These two throws were in a game situations and in pads and a helmet. Baker in shorts and T-shirt got clocked at 59 mph. So you can use him as a reference point to estimate how fast Wilson will throw in shorts and a tshirt. Likely about 55mph.That’s not at the top range with guys like Baker and Josh Allen. But that is plenty strong. For comparison, Watson got clocked at 45 mph.

Edit: did the same thing for what I believe was Lawrence’s longest completion. 65 yards in the air at 55 mph initial velocity. So in shorts and tshirt, Lawrence has a good chance to be in that elite group of Josh Allen and company. And Calculated one of Fields throws to be 52 mph. So roughly the same as Wilson. 

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

I’ve read Pauline state that Wilson doesn’t have great arm strength,

I agree with that.  After watching Wilson some more, I wouldn’t say he has elite arm talent.   He’s has a really good arm, but I think people are getting carried away with how great they think his arm is.   Fields has a stronger arm IMO, you can see it in how his deeper passes travel and the trajectory they are thrown at.  People like the way Wilson can throw at different angles and such, and that’s admirable, but these comparisons to Mahomes arm talent are ludicrous and people need to stop with them.  Wilson’s arm really isn’t that special.

I trust Fields a lot more in the NFL, his athleticism will be even more evident in the NFL than it was in college.   People killing him for “holding the ball” too long are ignoring the offense he is in and the fact that he wants to prove he isn’t just a running QB.  I can go into a very long, and probably very boring psychological breakdown of why Justin felt this way after leaving Georgia but I won’t.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

High school recruits get tested nowadays. So we already have a sense how these guys are going to test.
Wilson: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/224129/zachary-wilson
Lawrence: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/200786/trevor-lawrence
Fields: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/218572/justin-fields
Their power throw number gives you a sense of upper body strength. Fields 39.5, Wilson 38.5, Lawrence 38.0.

In terms of arm strength the radar gun is best. So we will have to wait for that. But for now just look at highlights since those will be their best throws. For Wilson, his farthest completion was at the  2:00 minute mark. Using the dimension of the field and some math, you can calculate that throw to be 60 yards. You can also time how long it took to get there and estimate that it came out of his hands at roughly 51 mph. For comparison, Baker threw a Hail Mary in a similar situation that traveled 72 yards and I calculated it came out of his hand at 55 mph. These two throws were in a game situations and in pads and a helmet. Baker in shorts and T-shirt got clocked at 59 mph. So you can use him as a reference point to estimate how fast Wilson will throw in shorts and a tshirt. Likely about 55mph.That’s not at the top range with guys like Baker and Josh Allen. But that is plenty strong. For comparison, Watson got clocked at 45 mph.

Thanks for posting this. SPARQ matters less at QB, but Fields has a spectacular SPARQ score. It was also crazy to see Wilson’s vertical.