Wilson not a BYU captain

Paradis

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He was not voted a Captain but earned it during the season. In some ways that is more impressive. 

And I read somewhere that McShay was given the wrong info and that the story was wrong, he was already named captain so he wasnt up for the vote for the honor.  

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Exactly... it wasn't handed to him on a silver platter... earning it is by far WAY MORE IMPRESSIVE.

That is all ... dude is a stud.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

You are basing this on a lot of assumptions.  He was made captain to replace a player who was injured in week 1.  I also believe that decision was made by the coaches, as opposed to the team who picked the original captains. 

Who knows if he 'earned' it, or if it was just a case of, next man up so let's pick the QB, who wasn't one of the first four captains named.  None of us know what really went down in that decision making, but when the team picked captains before the season, they chose 3 Juniors and 1 Senior, none of whom were named Wilson.  That's pretty much all we know.

I'm not even saying this means diddly-squat, but let's not create a fictional narrative to support the guy in the absence of facts.

• Upvote 2

BTW, lost in all of this noise...has anyone considered if an 'unnamed NFL GM or Personnel Director' picking outside of the top-2 would have any agenda for talking up Zach Wilson?  Like perhaps somehow imagining it nudged a team ahead of them to draft him instead of, say, Justin Fields?  Seriuosly...if you are picking #4 or #5, you are not talking up the guy you want.  You are talking up the guy you don't want.

Not saying that's what's going on, but has anyone even paused to consider that many of these articles about how great Wilson is are spinning out from these 'unnamed sources'.  By the time the draft rolls around, we'll have a better sense of all this if Fields goes at #2 and Wilson is still on the board five picks later.  Because at the end of the day, it's highly likely that NFL teams do not pay any attention to this noise.  Maybe he goes #2, maybe he doesn't.  But if he doesn't, you might want to pause before you go off on how stupid all these GMs are.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

BTW, lost in all of this noise...has anyone considered if an 'unnamed NFL GM or Personnel Director' picking outside of the top-2 would have any agenda for talking up Zach Wilson?  Like perhaps somehow imagining it nudged a team ahead of them to draft him instead of, say, Justin Fields?  Seriuosly...if you are picking #4 or #5, you are not talking up the guy you want.  You are talking up the guy you don't want.

Not saying that's what's going on, but has anyone even paused to consider that many of these articles about how great Wilson is are spinning out from these 'unnamed sources'.  By the time the draft rolls around, we'll have a better sense of all this if Fields goes at #2 and Wilson is still on the board five picks later.  Because at the end of the day, it's highly likely that NFL teams do not pay any attention to this noise.  Maybe he goes #2, maybe he doesn't.  But if he doesn't, you might want to pause before you go off on how stupid all these GMs are.

The scouting community is filled with morbidly obese Matt Patricia-looking failures who travel the country leering at college kids for $30k per year in hopes of climbing the ladder. They aren’t coaches, they aren’t even “scouts,” per se. They do data entry in between repeated trips to Arby’s. These slobs have no idea what they’re looking at when it comes to QBs because they all grew up thinking the ideal QB was a 6’4” white guy with a strong arm. Because so many of them missed so hard on Watson, Mahomes, Josh Allen, etc, they’re all just flailing around guessing wildly about what any particular prospect is capable of. Comparing Wilson to Mahomes because of his ability to throw “off platform” is especially laughable because the big knock on Mahomes, from these same clowns, was that he was “going to have to learn to play from the pocket.” It’s embarrassing to see them turn tail now so they don’t sh*t all over themselves again.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The scouting community is filled with morbidly obese Matt Patricia-looking slobs who travel the country looking at college kids for $30k per year in hopes of climbing the ladder. They aren’t coaches, they aren’t even “scouts,” per se. They do data entry in between repeated trips to Arby’s. These slobs have no idea what they’re looking at when it comes to QBs because they all grew up thinking the ideal QB was a 6’4” white guy with a strong arm. Because so many of them missed so hard on Watson, Mahomes, Josh Allen, etc, they’re all just flailing around guessing wildly about what any particular prospect is capable of. Comparing Wilson to Mahomes because of his ability to throw “off platform” is especially laughable because the big knock on Mahomes, from these same clowns, was that he was “going to have to learn to play from the pocket.” It’s embarrassing to see them turn tail now so they don’t sh*t all over themselves again.

Josh Allen is a 6’4” white guy with a strong arm. 6’5” actually.

Don’t totally disagree otherwise, but lol.

I think Wilson really broke that mold. Even Brees was nominally 6’ and a fraction more, but in no way did he resemble the prior ideal prospect of Peyton Manning...or Ryan Leaf :). But Wilson was supposedly too short to play behind 6’5” tall iOLmen, plus on top of that he was a running QB so he was doubly likely to fail. Meanwhile he’s started 160 straight games or something and is the NFL’s reigning Iron Horse. 

We were still right to trade up for Stephen Hill instead of Wilson, though. Look at his measurables, man. Just like Megatron.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Has anyone even paused to consider that many of these articles about how great Wilson is are spinning out from these 'unnamed sources'.

No, because that’s not true. Many living breathing people with names attached to them are saying it. The analysts at PFF. Daniel Jeremiah. Dane Brugler at the Athletic. Even Todd McShay ranks him as the #2 QB in the draft. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The scouting community is filled with morbidly obese Matt Patricia-looking failures who travel the country leering at college kids for $30k per year in hopes of climbing the ladder. They aren’t coaches, they aren’t even “scouts,” per se. They do data entry in between repeated trips to Arby’s. These slobs have no idea what they’re looking at when it comes to QBs because they all grew up thinking the ideal QB was a 6’4” white guy with a strong arm. Because so many of them missed so hard on Watson, Mahomes, Josh Allen, etc, they’re all just flailing around guessing wildly about what any particular prospect is capable of. Comparing Wilson to Mahomes because of his ability to throw “off platform” is especially laughable because the big knock on Mahomes, from these same clowns, was that he was “going to have to learn to play from the pocket.” It’s embarrassing to see them turn tail now so they don’t sh*t all over themselves again.

Can you tell me where to send my resume?

• Haha 2

You have to trust your personnel dept ..didn't you see draft day ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like being a “leader” on a team full of Mormon missionaries might not translate into leading a team in the NFL.

Who cares about his religion?  The important thing is does he have nice highlights facing Coastal Carolina and South Dakota State?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Man this is some sort of storm around Wilson(not just on this board).  My eyes and gut tell me I want Fields, everything/everyone else that would know better than me say it should be Wilson.

I'll say this, at this point I'll be shocked if Wilson isn't our QB next year.

Because it would be so jetsy?