Haven't the Jets learned their lesson about Ohio St.?

NYJ1

Since drafting Nick Mangold in 2006 the Jets have drafted the following Ohio St players:

2006 Anthony Schegel - the boar hunter as he was affectionately known was a straight up bust from the very second he got here

2008 Vernon Gholston - the 6th overall pick that year was so bad that neither Eric Mangini or Rex Ryan could not get him to contribute.

2015 Devin Smith - 2nd round draft choice that was as fragile as glass. Had a few nice catches his rookie before becoming a permanent fixture on the Jets disabled list.

2016 Darron Lee - 1st round draft choice and a complete arrogant twit that belonged to the "slapahoe" tribe. Total liability on the field, etc.

So let me ask you millenniums again.... Do you really want to take Justin Fields knowing just how much TRASH the Jets have gotten at that school? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 8
  • Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, NYJ1 said:

Since drafting Nick Mangold in 2006 the Jets have drafted the following Ohio St players:

2006 Anthony Schegel - the boar hunter as he was affectionately known was a straight up bust from the very second he got here

2008 Vernon Gholston - the 6th overall pick that year was so bad that neither Eric Mangini or Rex Ryan could not get him to contribute.

2015 Devin Smith - 2nd round draft choice that was as fragile as glass.

2016 Darron Lee - 1st round draft choice and a complete arrogant twit that belonged to the "slapahoe" tribe. Total liability on the field, etc.

So let me ask you millenniums again.... Do you really want to take Justin Fields knowing just how much TRASH the Jets have gotten at that school? 

I would agree with you normally, but then I saw him beat Trevor Lawrence.

It could be good for us to get him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

25 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

2015 Devin Smith - 2nd round draft choice that was as fragile as glass. Had a few nice catches his rookie before becoming a permanent fixture on the Jets disabled list.

We should keep drafting USC QB's until we hit on one. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

It's not the school It's the player. Do they want to be Tom Brady or Ryan Leaf. Gotta have the right mentality in the NFL. Some guys just aren't cut out for it.

Well, the Jets are truly gifted about getting the exact wrong player time and again

• Sympathy 1

I agree, we should just skip OSU players completely.

I mean, who the hell wants to get stuck with:

Cam Heyward, Ryan Shazier, Joey Bosa, Zeke Elliott, Michael Thomas, Marshon Lattimore, Curtis Samuel, Nick Bosa, Terry McLaurin, Chase Young etc.

Those guys are terrible.

• Upvote 4

I know you guys are dead set on arguing with me, but have you ever actually given this any thought? It's a well known fact that sometimes players get selected because they look so good on tape. When they were right next Ohio St. All-Americans. The NYJ have a MASTERS degree in that. Anthony Schegel? Vernon Gholston? Darron Lee all of them were classic examples of incompetent men getting carried away by good players that made OTHER players around them that much better. Then they think to themselves, wow those other players are a really good supporting cast. Well, they are when they're in COLLEGE.

This is exactly what I think about Justin Fields. He is a classic system QB. He was never left with the responsibility on his shoulders and the game in the balance. You do that and you suddenly discover Justin Fields isn't worth drafting.

10 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I agree, we should just skip OSU players completely.

I mean, who the hell wants to get stuck with:

Cam Heyward, Ryan Shazier, Joey Bosa, Zeke Elliott, Michael Thomas, Marshon Lattimore, Curtis Samuel, Nick Bosa, Terry McLaurin, Chase Young etc.

Those guys are terrible.

How many of those players did the Jets draft?? I rest my case....

And mind all of you, I never said stop drafting players from OSU, but perhaps they ought to be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more careful in who they do take. Getting fooled into taking a "system player" is a very real thing. You'd better get used to that idea because it happens all the time.

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I'm Gen X, thanks.

Let me counter your question with a question:  What effect, specifically, does the careers of Mangold, Schlagel, Gholston, Smith and Lee have on Justin Fields that should warrant our consideration of those players when evaluating Fields?

Answer:  None.

Look, I fall into this trap too, especially with USC QB's (I don't want any more.  Ever.)  But it is an entirely flawed argument, logic wise.  The "but these guys busted so this other guy will bust" is a pure logical fallacy, like it or not.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

NYJ1 in 2005:  "Don't draft Aaron Rodgers!  Hasn't everyone learned their lesson about Cal QB's?"

NYJ1 in 2017:  "Don't draft Pat Mahomes!  Hasn't everyone learned their lesson about Texas Tech QB's?"

The school argument for not taking QB's is beyond lazy. Just because a guy plays at Ohio State doesn't mean he shares braincells and ability with other QB's that have come from there. 

• Upvote 1