Haven't the Jets learned their lesson about Ohio St.?

NYJ1

18 minutes ago, KRL said:

Childish take, every player should be judged on their own merits not their school.

A good GM can't use the "cancel culture" model in his evaluation of talent

Agreed. We should ban any poster who brings up this idiotic argument , especially those who use it over and over again. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Since drafting Nick Mangold in 2006 the Jets have drafted the following Ohio St players:

2006 Anthony Schegel - the boar hunter as he was affectionately known was a straight up bust from the very second he got here

2008 Vernon Gholston - the 6th overall pick that year was so bad that neither Eric Mangini or Rex Ryan could not get him to contribute.

2015 Devin Smith - 2nd round draft choice that was as fragile as glass. Had a few nice catches his rookie before becoming a permanent fixture on the Jets disabled list.

2016 Darron Lee - 1st round draft choice and a complete arrogant twit that belonged to the "slapahoe" tribe. Total liability on the field, etc.

So let me ask you millenniums again.... Do you really want to take Justin Fields knowing just how much TRASH the Jets have gotten at that school? 

Is that why we passed on terry McLauren?

• Upvote 1

The biggest "problem" with Fields is his lack of games started.
He was a backup at Georgia in his freshman year and he only played
6 regular season games this year.  His talent is undeniable but his
experience is lacking, coaching and development is going to be
crucial for Fields.  I could easily see him being the top QB in this
draft in 2-3 years if he's properly developed

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

He was a backup at Georgia in his freshman year and he only played
6 regular season games this year.  His talent is undeniable but his
experience is lacking, coaching and development is going to be
crucial for Fields.  I could easily see him being the top QB in this
draft in 2-3 years if he's properly developed

We can't  wait 2 or 3 years.  We've already waited 10 years since we've been in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

We can't  wait 2 or 3 years.  We've already waited 10 years since we've been in the playoffs.

He's saying Fields will be the best QB in the class in 2-3 years, but assuming he's correct, you wouldn't be willing to wait to see that happen?  Well that's an odd take.  

It's not like these QB's go from sitting on the bench a full season, to sucking, to best QB in the class in the 3rd year.  We'd know pretty quickly that Fields is the goods, and we'd even start getting some W's out of it in the early going.  You wouldn't be excited to get behind that?  

In other words, if you were a Chargers fan, you wouldn't be excited to have Justin Herbert right now because the team went 7-9 his first season?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I know you guys are dead set on arguing with me, but have you ever actually given this any thought? It's a well known fact that sometimes players get selected because they look so good on tape. When they were right next Ohio St. All-Americans. The NYJ have a MASTERS degree in that. Anthony Schegel? Vernon Gholston? Darron Lee all of them were classic examples of incompetent men getting carried away by good players that made OTHER players around them that much better. Then they think to themselves, wow those other players are a really good supporting cast. Well, they are when they're in COLLEGE.

This is exactly what I think about Justin Fields. He is a classic system QB. He was never left with the responsibility on his shoulders and the game in the balance. You do that and you suddenly discover Justin Fields isn't worth drafting.

I remember my first draft 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

I think it works in his favor. In the short time he’s started he’s gotten gradually/significantly better. Dropping his college opus magnum on Dabo like a mic drop. He’s only going to get better. 

we’re lucky he declared early. At this point I like him better that Trevor “I was great in 2018” Lawrence. 

Any elite school is going to send tons of players to the nfl. Some of them will bust, some of them will be great, some will be in between.

The Jets picking the wrong players from any school says more about the Jets, then it does the school they took them from.

People who have a functioning brain should be able to easily realize this.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think it works in his favor. In the short time he’s started he’s gotten gradually/significantly better. Dropping his college opus magnum on Dabo like a mic drop. He’s only going to get better. 

we’re lucky he declared early. At this point I like him better that Trevor “I was great in 2018” Lawrence. 

I do not know enough about the mechanics of quarterback play - but a thought I’m curious to get your perspective on (and I don’t think it’s necessarily one you can answer immediately).

When I watch prospects I tend to start with highlights, see if I like the tools you can see in the best of their plays enough to dig, and then look more in depth (full games, etc).

As I watched Fields’ 2019 highlights, I saw a lot of sideline throws that really didn’t impress me. Balls that were floated and not because of touch, and not stuff he could get away with in the pros.

That said, it’s pretty obvious he’s got a good arm. So I wasn’t sure what the deal was. I eventually stumbled upon somebody talking about his splits throwing to the right and to the left. As far as I can tell...that’s it. The throws of his I love are largely to the left and over the middle. The ugly throws are basically entirely to the right, especially when he’s rolling to his right. Which isn’t totally ideal because you’d likely want to roll him right to take advantage of that mobility.

Not sure if I’m seeing things - I’m pretty confident on the ugly throws rolling right though. I feel like that has to be a mechanical issue he can clean up. I do know some guys struggle throwing to one side too. I don’t think he’s bad going to his right persay, except when rolling, but I do think NFL teams are going to try to make him throw the ball there more. I’d hope it’s a straightforward technique fix - certainly seems like a hard worker and highly talented.

Doesn’t Darnold have a similar issue too?

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I can’t get over the Fields talk on this forum. At the beginning of the season many viewed him as the 1B to Lawrence. He plays very well, then has a couple bad games, one of which the offense was down several starters, and then he’s off the board. Fast forward to the Clemson game and he’s the slam dunk number two pick. And then just a week later he’s off the board again after an underwhelming title game. 

Give me Fields all day at 2. Sign a vet to start the first 8+ games. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ruby2 said:

Any elite school is going to send tons of players to the nfl. Some of them will bust, some of them will be great, some will be in between.

The Jets picking the wrong players from any school says more about the Jets, than it does the school they took them from.

People who have a functioning brain should be able to easily realize this.

Yep.  Avoiding Ohio State entirely would have caused teams to miss out on Chris Carter, Orlando Pace, Eddie George, Nick Mangold, Zeke Elliott, both Joey and Nick Bosa, and Cameron Heyward.  Just silly stuff.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

I can’t get over the Fields talk on this forum. At the beginning of the season many viewed him as the 1B to Lawrence. He plays very well, then has a couple bad games, one of which the offense was down several starters, and then he’s off the board. Fast forward to the Clemson game and he’s the slam dunk number two pick. And then just a week later he’s off the board again after an underwhelming title game. 

Give me Fields all day at 2. Sign a vet to start the first 8+ games. 

A game he shouldn't have played. I applaud the guts for glory, but he was hurt... significantly. He couldn't step into his throws with any torque whatsoever. Game was over before it started. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, derp said:

I do not know enough about the mechanics of quarterback play - but a thought I’m curious to get your perspective on (and I don’t think it’s necessarily one you can answer immediately).

When I watch prospects I tend to start with highlights, see if I like the tools you can see in the best of their plays enough to dig, and then look more in depth (full games, etc).

As I watched Fields’ 2019 highlights, I saw a lot of sideline throws that really didn’t impress me. Balls that were floated and not because of touch, and not stuff he could get away with in the pros.

That said, it’s pretty obvious he’s got a good arm. So I wasn’t sure what the deal was. I eventually stumbled upon somebody talking about his splits throwing to the right and to the left. As far as I can tell...that’s it. The throws of his I love are largely to the left and over the middle. The ugly throws are basically entirely to the right, especially when he’s rolling to his right. Which isn’t totally ideal because you’d likely want to roll him right to take advantage of that mobility.

Not sure if I’m seeing things - I’m pretty confident on the ugly throws rolling right though. I feel like that has to be a mechanical issue he can clean up. I do know some guys struggle throwing to one side too. I don’t think he’s bad going to his right persay, except when rolling, but I do think NFL teams are going to try to make him throw the ball there more. I’d hope it’s a straightforward technique fix - certainly seems like a hard worker and highly talented.

Doesn’t Darnold have a similar issue too?

I'll take a peek and circle back.

I don't know if this is accurate or erroneous statement - but QBs are obviously a challenge to prognosticate at the pro level from college, and to the average shmuck, even more so -- however what i do think i've come to realize is you have to look at the body of work to have any chance to getting it right. Not one game or one type of throw, etc. 

I can watch 2 mins of cut up tape on a RB or a WR and know if they have "it" (most of the time, within reason)... More games/film just helps put that picture into focus, but the die is cast easily and early. 

Much different with QBs, and I'm very comfortable with Field's body of college work... it's as good as you're gonna get. Manning, Mahomes, Lawrence - all them sh*ts have bad games, weak spots, holes in the game, etc etc. ....The jury's STILL out on whether Andrew Luck is actually a Cro-Magnon. 

• Upvote 1

the trouble with the guys coming from the powerhouse teams is that the personnel around them are also very good so an average player can look much better than he really is.  i certainly can't say if fields will be a good qb.  but if he's targeted then the jets just have to make sure they account for this.  same thing would go for lawrence or mac jones.

4 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I know you guys are dead set on arguing with me, but have you ever actually given this any thought? It's a well known fact that sometimes players get selected because they look so good on tape. When they were right next Ohio St. All-Americans. The NYJ have a MASTERS degree in that. Anthony Schegel? Vernon Gholston? Darron Lee all of them were classic examples of incompetent men getting carried away by good players that made OTHER players around them that much better. Then they think to themselves, wow those other players are a really good supporting cast. Well, they are when they're in COLLEGE.

This is exactly what I think about Justin Fields. He is a classic system QB. He was never left with the responsibility on his shoulders and the game in the balance. You do that and you suddenly discover Justin Fields isn't worth drafting.

Do you think there is like a big Jumbo Jet in Florham Park that is secretly making the picks? Schegal was selected three GMs ago, Gholston the same, Lee, Lee one. Know what they all had in common? They were drafted by people who no longer work here and sucked at their job. 

20 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I agree, we should just skip OSU players completely.

I mean, who the hell wants to get stuck with:

Cam Heyward, Ryan Shazier, Joey Bosa, Zeke Elliott, Michael Thomas, Marshon Lattimore, Curtis Samuel, Nick Bosa, Terry McLaurin, Chase Young etc.

Those guys are terrible.

It’s about the crappy quarterbacks Ohio State craps out into the NFL every other year silly

040AE7E9-EF91-4B8A-9389-EA467D267ED3.jpeg.ace76a79bde4fdd2e2f3f959c79c9e1e.jpeg
Dwayne Haskins

15 hours ago, rangerous said:

the trouble with the guys coming from the powerhouse teams is that the personnel around them are also very good so an average player can look much better than he really is.  i certainly can't say if fields will be a good qb.  but if he's targeted then the jets just have to make sure they account for this.  same thing would go for lawrence or mac jones.

I have no problem drafting Ohio St players just as long as they play any position but QB

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Funny thing is, 90% of the top OSU receivers end up really good.  Just not the dud we drafted.

Most of the OSU linebackers can play.  Just not the two duds we drafted. 

Now, Penn St running backs and USC quarterbacks have given me PTSD. 

The Saints get Michael Thomas we end up with Devin Smith

45257C56-FA4B-4C3C-A8EA-4E0E10407F6D.jpeg.2f1ab27b2fae5f760b8742b572a9babb.jpeg