Watson Not Interested in Jets (Source)

Warfish

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

Forget this crap, if we wanted Watson we should have drafted him. Many people here were certain he was going to be a bust. I for one thought we were crazy to pass on him !
Yet I do not wish to mortgage our future by trading away all of this years and next years top draft picks for him.
We can keep Sam and surround him with talent and build a solid offensive line to protect him. We can also pick up one of the many free agents and pray we find another Vinny who can come here a blossom into a solid starter for us for a few years as we continue to build this into a strong contender.
Of course our third option would be to see just what we have in Morgan and give him a real chance to win the starting job, if he can.

We could also just draft a QB at 2. But oh yeah, Fields is going to be a bust! We should pass!

History repeats...

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2931171-deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-broncos-49ers-intrigue-texans-qb-more-than-jets?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Take it for what it's worth:

Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson reportedly has some interest in a trade to the Denver Broncos or San Francisco 49ers.

Appearing Friday on ESPN's Get Up, ESPN NFL insider Jeremy Fowler reported that Watson is "intrigued" by the Broncos and 49ers:

https://twitter.com/GetUpESPN/status/1360245052442882051?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1360245052442882051|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2931171-deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-broncos-49ers-intrigue-texans-qb-more-than-jets

Fowler also said he was told Watson is "probably not" too interested in getting traded to the New York Jets and would favor a move to the Miami Dolphins over New York.

P.S. No idea how to link tweets, JN links everything else automatically :(

Good for him we will be a much better overall team without him IMHO .... If Wentz is still on the table we can go that route for cheaper or just draft the QB we want and surround him with skill players fairly quickly with numerous early picks and cap money.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 hours ago, ljr said:

only way he comes here is if Texans decide #2 is essential so they can rebuild with one of the new QB's ... and tell Watson it's NYJ or nothing

this is a real possibility though ... Texans really need to find a way to save face ... and getting a shiny new QB is the best way for them to do it, imo

not  a bad idea. and they also tell Watson if he doesnt like NY or how they do things there you can demand a trade from them in a year or 2. 

• Upvote 1

Bottom line is this, if the Jets want Watson they will get Watson. The 2nd pick is the most valuable asset out there for sale. The Niners or Broncos do not have the assets we do. And as far as him not wanting to come here? This is the first I’ve heard of it. Last month the agents were blatantly saying they want to come to the Jets on social media. 

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

What about the over 80 mil in cap space to get Allen Robinson, Thuney, a center and a starting corner. You actually think Watson, ARob or another #1 WR FA, Mims, Crowder, our O-line with Thuney, new center, etc. plus the pick for Sam, two #3s and other picks will net us 4 wins? I think the first year we could win at least 8 or 9 games, 10 if they gel. It's just not true to say we won't have the assets to build around Watson - we have plenty to add excellent pieces to fill out our offense.

Still 4 wins is the ceiling yo. 5 with McCown. And 7 with Gase and Darnold. And 8 with Geno. Just 4 with Watson. 

People truly believe this. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Good for him we will be a much better overall team without him IMHO

I think that is a very questionable opinion.

.... If Wentz is still on the table we can go that route for cheaper

Wait, really?  No to Watson, yes....to Wentz?

or just draft the QB we want and surround him with skill players fairly quickly with numerous early picks and cap money.

I don't object to this per se, there is a strong argument for it.  But I don't think it's as clear cut as your first line would indicate.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

People truly believe we are going to get robinson, thuney,  linsley. etc etc etc

i agree.

cant see JD spending the big money those guys would want. i think he takes the 2nd or 3rd best player at a positon cause it would cost less and it gives him more money to spend elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Bottom line is this, if the Jets want Watson they will get Watson. The 2nd pick is the most valuable asset out there for sale. The Niners or Broncos do not have the assets we do. And as far as him not wanting to come here? This is the first I’ve heard of it. Last month the agents were blatantly saying they want to come to the Jets on social media. 

forget what there saying. these agents lie all the time.

put yourselves in his shoes. would you come here? forget the draft picks. your the player, you dont care what draft picks a team gives for you. you just got paid a few months ago so its not the money. the Jets have more holes than swiss cheese. and then you got to hope JD makes all the right decisions with the remaining draft picks he has and FA.

Miami won 10 games with Tua/Fritz . imagine how good they could be with Watson.

and dont think hes not paying attention to Mahomes. hes been to the SB twice and has one ring and there both the same age. you think he wants to come to a team who with Watson is still 2 maybe 3 years from making a serious run at the SB. and thats IF!!!!! ... JD is as good as we hope. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Has DeShaun Watson commented on the release of JJ Watt. 

6 hours ago, Wit said:

Yes, on Twitter 

Yes, Deshaun tweeted:  JJ hang tight, let's discuss next year at Nonna's Pizza.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

There are no shortcuts 

The 2019 7 and 9 Bucs say 'sup.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think that is a very questionable opinion.

Wait, really?  No to Watson, yes....to Wentz?

I don't object to this per se, there is a strong argument for it.  But I don't think it's as clear cut as your first line would indicate.

If he's saying he does not want to come here and prefers another destination why have the conversation. Why is it questionable to move on if that's the stance he's taking ?. Obviously Watson would be a great scenario but so would Wentz and for a lot cheaper and we retain probably one or two firsts in the process. 

@Sperm EdwardsI never said I prefer Wentz to Watson but if Watson wants to go elsewhere we either go after Wentz or continue to build via the draft. Not sure what's so confusing. What I will say is no way in hell should we give up 4 firsts because then we have Watson and a half assed team around him.

Beat writers will constantly come up with articles like this up until the draft:

https://nfltraderumors.co/latest-on-texans-qb-deshaun-watson/

I do believe Watson would prefer to go to Miami over the Jets because they are so much further than we are.  They can also offer compensation closest to what we can offer.  They have the 3rd and 18th this year.  He can try to force the Texans into taking slightly less comp to go there if he really pressed them.  We might just have to up our offer to prevent the Texans from giving in to Watson's demands but i feel Watson ultimately has the power as long as he is willing to hold/sit out.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

People truly believe we are going to get robinson, thuney,  linsley. etc etc etc

I think people believe Watson here makes that more attractive, and Robinson's own tweets give them as t some credence.

The Jets aren’t going to just sit on $80MM and there are at least 3 serious FAs both at WR and iOL. Doesn’t have to be those guys specifically, but sure people name the one they’d like best not their 3rd choices.

I don’t see equating a desire like that with the likelihood of a 4-win season or a 7-win ceiling. Other than Robinson - if the Jets somehow acquire Watson - I haven’t seen anyone suggest any of these players are likely in the same way some have predicted the team’s demise with Watson.

One is a desire. The other is a prediction. Not at all the same thing.

15 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I've been hearing this for awhile from a friend whose brother is a very well known NFL insider.

It's become very clear the "Watson to the Jets" stuff is coming from the Texans who view our assets as the most desirable.

I won't get my hopes up.

One can only hope this is true so we can stop the insane trade rumors, and get to building this team... And no that doesn't mean Sam is given the job... I'm hoping new coach, everyone has to EARN their position on this team.

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

If he's saying he does not want to come here and prefers another destination why have the conversation. Why is it questionable to move on if that's the stance he's taking ?. Obviously Watson would be a great scenario but so would Wentz and for a lot cheaper and we retain probably one or two firsts in the process. 

@Sperm EdwardsI never said I prefer Wentz to Watson but if Watson wants to go elsewhere we either go after Wentz or continue to build via the draft. Not sure what's so confusing. What I will say is no way in hell should we give up 4 firsts because then we have Watson and a half assed team around him.

1. As I understand it - and maybe I missed something - he didn’t say he didn’t want to come here so much as we weren’t his first or second choice. Douglas has been a quiet GM, not blustering about all the players he’s going to sign, so until other FAs are signed and another draft is behind us (and looked upon favorably at that) I don’t see where the Jets would be anyone’s first choice unless there was a desire to be in/around NYC for unrelated personal reasons.

2. Wentz isn’t nearly as bad as people here allege. His 2020 season was filled with less of a supporting cast than Darnold had, for all the excuses thrown Darnold’s way, and still managed to usually throw a couple TDs per game. If 15 picks was anywhere near his norm that’d be one thing, but it isn’t. He’s not been terribly consistent other than the predictability that he’ll miss at least a quarter of the season to injury. I still don’t see enough for the Jets to make a serious investment in him. 

3. Really, 4 firsts? Never mind that even with your exaggeration, somehow most teams with QBs like Watson somehow find a way to be consistently good even with nothing to show for their first rounders for 2 seasons in a row. He may not be worth 4 firsts, but he’s worth 2 firsts more than Wentz. I don’t think any fan or GM would even entertain such a trade if Watson was on their team & not shooting his way out. 

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

The 2019 7 and 9 Bucs say 'sup.

The 2019 bucs were a super bowl roster held back by Jameis at qb. The 2 win Jets are among the worst in league history. 

There are no shortcuts 

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The Jets aren’t going to just sit on $80MM 

Why not? They sat on 60 million last year. 

You don't get to 80 million under the cap by accident 

If he's saying he does not want to come here and prefers another destination why have the conversation. Why is it questionable to move on if that's the stance he's taking ?

Because that isn't what you posted.  You posted that "we will be a much better overall team without him".  <-is, IMO, quite debatable.

What you posted above i.e."moving in, he's not interested" is fine.  That's a different idea altogether to your first comment.

Obviously Watson would be a great scenario but so would Wentz

Again, that is extremely debatable.  Wentz, on a materially better roster, has been a consistently injury-prone, ~.500 type QB to-date.  A very expensive .500 QB.  "Wentz would be great" is simply not a fact in evidence whatsoever.

and for a lot cheaper and we retain probably one or two firsts in the process. 

He would be cheaper, but any deal for Wentz better not include ANY Jets #1 picks.  I'd lothe this move, Wentz is a sidegrade from Darnold, at best.  We already have an injury prone disappointment of a #1 pick QB in Darnold, why trade to get another one?  Do you think Wentz is going be less injury prone, or win more than .500 here?  

what team watson wants to play for has always been the wildcard in this story.  everyone seemed to be focusing on the fact the jets have the best draft assets and a coach that watson says he would want to play for without fully understanding what watson wants.  and while he may be a good fit for the jets scheme he may prefer to play for a team that's already been making the playoffs.

it's still early.  we'll probably start hearing some real news in about 2 weeks or so.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

Beat writers will constantly come up with articles like this up until the draft:

https://nfltraderumors.co/latest-on-texans-qb-deshaun-watson/

I do believe Watson would prefer to go to Miami over the Jets because they are so much further than we are.  They can also offer compensation closest to what we can offer.  They have the 3rd and 18th this year.  He can try to force the Texans into taking slightly less comp to go there if he really pressed them.  We might just have to up our offer to prevent the Texans from giving in to Watson's demands but i feel Watson ultimately has the power as long as he is willing to hold/sit out.

There's no state income tax in Texas or Florida 

There's huge state income tax in New Jersey 

It sounds petty but every roster bonus, every home paycheck, that 8 percent or whatever adds up to a giant amount of money on the Watson contract 

17 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Of course hes not.  We are awful and rebuilding from square 1.

Denver would be the best spot.  They have ridiculous playmakers on offense.

Absolutely....   we haven't developed a QB or any player in 20 years. The 4-5 stars we have had were self starters like Revis, Brick Mangold. These guys did it on their own time.    We had a QB who took us to 2 AFC Championship games and we rewarded him with Kyle Wilson and Vlad Ducasse.  Mind you Gronk was on the board.  Our management is top 3 in inept in all of sports. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

There's no state income tax in Texas or Florida 

There's huge state income tax in New Jersey 

It sounds petty but every roster bonus, every home paycheck, that 8 percent or whatever adds up to a giant amount of money on the Watson contract 

technically BUT remember they pay a state income tax in states they play in . For example, when the Jets play 2 games in California, the players pay a CA tax on their check for those to games to CA.  So... even Florida, Vegas and Texas teams, the players pay state income tax on games played in other states.  BUT you are right, it is still big money.

54 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. As I understand it - and maybe I missed something - he didn’t say he didn’t want to come here so much as we weren’t his first or second choice. Douglas has been a quiet GM, not blustering about all the players he’s going to sign, so until other FAs are signed and another draft is behind us (and looked upon favorably at that) I don’t see where the Jets would be anyone’s first choice unless there was a desire to be in/around NYC for unrelated personal reasons.

2. Wentz isn’t nearly as bad as people here allege. His 2020 season was filled with less of a supporting cast than Darnold had, for all the excuses thrown Darnold’s way, and still managed to usually throw a couple TDs per game. If 15 picks was anywhere near his norm that’d be one thing, but it isn’t. He’s not been terribly consistent other than the predictability that he’ll miss at least a quarter of the season to injury. I still don’t see enough for the Jets to make a serious investment in him. 

3. Really, 4 firsts? Never mind that even with your exaggeration, somehow most teams with QBs like Watson somehow find a way to be consistently good even with nothing to show for their first rounders for 2 seasons in a row. He may not be worth 4 firsts, but he’s worth 2 firsts more than Wentz. I don’t think any fan or GM would even entertain such a trade if Watson was on their team & not shooting his way out. 

4 firsts was an exaggeration but it was more along the lines of what some people "think" might be the haul for Watson. So I was in a way addressing those people as well. 

In the case of the Jets leverage our second overall can add up to as many points as 2 even 3 firsts that some other teams may offer and Houston (if a deal is being discussed) has to know they have numerous options with that pick. I personally think 4 firsts is ridiculous unless they are coming from very good teams that have late first round picks and the future picks will tend to be late 1st's as well since they are already good and adding Watson you have to think those picks will be in the mid to late 20's. 

When it comes to Wentz I agree with you 100% he is a damn good QB there is no doubt in my mind he is also in the top 10 closer to probably the 5-7th best QB in the NFL .... You get him for less and you also get to build around him now with other firsts you still have in the bank the next 3 years also Douglas has intimate knowledge of the guy since he was there so he knows his mindset (inside the building) as well as his talent level.

Straight up I would choose Watson .... with trades involved and what most are saying Watson will be worth I would take Wentz 

What would the fans think of a trade with Miami?

1. The only reason Miami is being discussed is because they own Texans #3 pick and #36 pick due to Texans stupidity. Trading Watson to get their picks back would be PR nightmare.  

2. Trading Watson to a contending team would be a PR nightmare. Watching Watson in the playoffs this year = PR nightmare. It would take the Jets a year or 2 to be in same position. More palatable to fan base. 

3. Any future Miami #1 picks will be in the 25-30 range with Watson. Jets should be in the 10-15 range IMO

4. Would Texan GM Cesaria screw Lil Bill sending DW to Miami and Flores?

5. With the cap space and draft picks Jets have we are a strong contender 

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

technically BUT remember they pay a state income tax in states they play in . For example, when the Jets play 2 games in California, the players pay a CA tax on their check for those to games to CA.  So... even Florida, Vegas and Texas teams, the players pay state income tax on games played in other states.  BUT you are right, it is still big money.

Game checks, yes. And we agree that adds up.

But all the upcoming roster bonus is issued in New Jersey that's the big nut. Watson making 30 mil per year on his current deal, he's getting like 8 figure checks every offseason, besides the game checks

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because that isn't what you posted.  You posted that "we will be a much better overall team without him".  <-is, IMO, quite debatable.

Yes I said Better "Team" but when you talk about 2 QB's that are both very good would you rather have a great team surrounding Wentz or a sub par team surrounding Watson ? I base this on picks that would be gone if we go the Watson direction In no way does that say Wentz is better than Watson it just states you have more ammo to build a better supporting cast.

What you posted above i.e."moving in, he's not interested" is fine.  That's a different idea altogether to your first comment.

Again, that is extremely debatable.  Wentz, on a materially better roster, has been a consistently injury-prone, ~.500 type QB to-date.  A very expensive .500 QB.  "Wentz would be great" is simply not a fact in evidence whatsoever.

This is dead wrong Wentz tailed off this year because the Eagles roster on offense was absolute garbage this year and there was no doubt a lot of frustration all around that organization. Wentz never had anywhere close to the roster he should have and he still put up solid mistake free numbers up until this years mess.

He would be cheaper, but any deal for Wentz better not include ANY Jets #1 picks.  I'd lothe this move, Wentz is a sidegrade from Darnold, at best.  We already have an injury prone disappointment of a #1 pick QB in Darnold, why trade to get another one?  Do you think Wentz is going be less injury prone, or win more than .500 here? 

Sidegrade from Darnold ?? Are you serious ? When at anytime did Darnold have anything close to an MVP caliber season ? Have you watched Wentz play ? Wentz is a few ticks from Watson in every way possible and with a good team around him you can see 30 + TD's and sub 10 Ints on a regular basis . Since he has done it already and came close 2 other years with a crappy supporting cast as well.

The ONLY reason why Watson would want to be traded to the NYJ is because he had "blind faith" in the front office. There's nothing to go on other than blind faith? It would be common sense to think Watson would want to go to go a franchise that knows what it's doing. So this report would not at all surprise me if it were true.