Who will the 3rd tight end be next season?

Maxman

12 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Good. Let's talk about something else ,lol.

I disagree. I think Jet brass is quite high on Herndon and always has been. From a fan perspective it seems like he has been held back by Gase (despite the drops and missed time- which are obviously not Gase's fault). Herndon seems to be the type of player that gets better when he is targeted regularly and hen you involve him in the offense. For some reason Gase/Darnold did not do that. I think in LaFleur's system will benefit Herndon greatly and he will be the starter. I think they will get #2 TE in FA and DRAFT a developmental TE later on in the draft who will be that #3 guy. 

Now, there are a couple of other things to keep an eye on. R.Griffin, due to injury, looks like a shell of what he used to be. I would just cut him. But his contract is very much team-friendly. Does LaFleur and Saleh think they can get more out of him and want to keep him around? Also, what about Wesco? He's technically a TE but he currently fills that H-back or even FB role. That's a position LaFleur likes to utilize. Will the Jets go out and find a new FB they are more comfortable with? or do they like Wesco? Then there are the back-end roster guys. The Jets have Brown, Davis and Travis. These are all big athletic receiving TE's. My personal opinion is that they don't make the team. But who knows. Davis is a complete mystery journeyman. Brown made the team last year. Travis is another question-mark.  

So while TO ME the easy answer is that Herndon remains as the starter, the Jets bring in a vet FA as a backup and draft a developmental TE for the future, there's a lot of guys already on the roster that they will be looking closely at to determine what makes the most sense. 

There are a couple of mid-round TEs in this Draft too.  I know a lot of people are infatuated with the idea of trading down and snagging Kyle Pitts, and who wouldn't be!?!?  But if the Jets still like Herndon then they should look to supplement him and Ryan Griffin with a 3rd or 4th round pick, maybe guys like Brevin Jordan (Miami) or Hunter Long (Boston College)?

I get that our new coaching staff just came from a team with George Kittle and the connection to an elite guy like Pitts makes sense, but I just don't see it being realistic on a team with so many other needs.  Even in a trade down and sitting somewhere between 8 - 12, there are some excellent WRs, Edge Rushers, CBs, and some versatile OLinemen (ex. Rashawn Slater) that do more for the Jets IMO.

20 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Could be, and I certainly hope so.  But some really ugly drops with nobody around him transcend the offensive system and coaching.

Herndon still seems like he could be a complete boom or bust.  Crazy that after three seasons there's still such a variety of opinions on him and what he can be.  Kinda like Darnold. You've got some people who want to ship him off quickly and then other NFL teams looking at him as their potential starter of the future.

The Herndon situation and the darnold situation have strange similarities and the crazy part is their chemistry together. Herndon is a player Sam always looks for, on the rare occasions that both are on the field healthy. 

Tbh Adam gase was such a toxic terrible coach, it's possible that he held back everyone. Ask Ryan Tannehill 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

There are a couple of mid-round TEs in this Draft too.  I know a lot of people are infatuated with the idea of trading down and snagging Kyle Pitts, and who wouldn't be!?!?  But if the Jets still like Herndon then they should look to supplement him and Ryan Griffin with a 3rd or 4th round pick, maybe guys like Brevin Jordan (Miami) or Hunter Long (Boston College)?

I get that our new coaching staff just came from a team with George Kittle and the connection to an elite guy like Pitts makes sense, but I just don't see it being realistic on a team with so many other needs.  Even in a trade down and sitting somewhere between 8 - 12, there are some excellent WRs, Edge Rushers, CBs, and some versatile OLinemen (ex. Rashawn Slater) that do more for the Jets IMO.

Oh yeah, I completely agree. I think if the Jets raft a TE it will be a developmental one, probably even later in the draft like Rd. 4 or 5. Guys like Tre McKitty out of Georgia, Kenny Yeboah, Nick Eubanks, Tommy Tremble. If the Jets are looking for more of a receiving threat I also like Cary Angeline out of N.C. State. Huge target with great hands. These are all guys that could be available after the 3rd round. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Fixed

I like Sewell a lot, much more than the average Jets fan, but him being a no brainer at 2 is absurd. Under consideration, sure. A no brainer, not so much.

Sewell at 2 is not a ridiculous premise like Pitts at 23, which is what I was poking fun at. There’s a 100% chance Sewell will be on the board at 2 and like a 99.99% chance Pitts is off the board by 23. He’s probably not even available at 13. It’s completely different.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think Long and Tommy Tremble are guys to watch. Maybe Freiermuth at 34 if they love him.

• Upvote 1

1. Florida_logo.gif Kyle Pitts*, TE, Florida  
    Height: 6-6. Weight: 239.  
    Projected 40 Time: 4.68. 
    Projected Round (2021): Top-10.
    View Ranking History 
    1/30/21: Some team sources feel Pitts is the second-best player in the 2021 NFL Draft and the rarest prospect after Trevor Lawrence. Some teams think Pitts could move to wide receiver and be a poor man's Calvin Johnson. Other teams think he can't play receiver, but is a generational tight end prospect who could be similar to Travis Kelce or Tony Gonzalez in the NFL. 

Pitts was dominant in 2020, showing superb speed, hands, leaping ability, route-running, natural receiving ability, and dynamic mismatch potential for the NFL. Every opponent was incapable of covering Pitts, including future early-rounders in the Alabama and Georgia secondary. He missed a few games with a concussion, but SEC defenses had no answer for him and he destroyed man coverage from defensive backs all season. Pitts could stand to improve as a blocker for the NFL, but he wasn't horrible in that regard. Team sources like the fight and effort he displayed as a blocker. 

With his outstanding play the past two seasons, Pitts has proven to be a devastating mismatch problem and worthy of a top-10 choice in the 2021 NFL Draft. Some team sources say that Pitts is the best receiving weapon in the draft and is a more dynamic mismatch weapon than Ja'Marr Chase, DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle. Team sources feel Pitts is a better prospect than T.J. Hockenson, Eric Ebron and O.J. Howard were in their draft classes.  

8/29/20: Pitts turned into play-maker in 2019, creating mismatches in the passing game. He is too fast for linebackers while being too big for safeties in coverage. For the NFL, Pitts could stand to improve his blocking, but he will get drafted for his receiving ability. In 2019, he hauled in 54 receptions for 649 yards and five touchdowns. Pitts could be improved in 2020 due to his increased experience and further physical development.
  2. Previous Seasons

• '20 - Cole Kmet, Notre Dame
    • '19 - Noah Fant, Iowa
    • '18 - Dallas Goedert, South Dakota State
    Miami_logo.gif Brevin Jordan*, TE, Miami 
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.  
    Projected 40 Time: 4.65. 
    Projected Round (2021): 2-3.
    View Ranking History 
    1/30/21: Jordan played well for Miami in 2020, producing some big plays. Some team sources think Jordan has the potential to be a late second- or early third-rounder.

8/29/20: After a strong freshman season, Jordan is helping to invigorate Miami as 'tight end U'. The Las Vegas, Nevada product made 32 receptions for 287 yards with four touchdowns in 2018. In 2019, the sophomore recorded 35 catches for 495 yards and two touchdowns. He is capable of producing more, but Miami was inconsistent at getting him the ball. Jordan is undersized, so getting stronger and working on his blocking will be important for the NFL.

3. Previous Seasons

• '20 - Thaddeus Moss, LSU
    • '19 - Irv Smith Jr., Alabama
    • '18 - Mike Gesicki, Penn State
    PennState_logo.gif Pat Freiermuth*, TE, Penn State 
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 256.  
    Projected 40 Time: 4.72. 
    Projected Round (2021): 2-4.
    View Ranking History 
    1/30/21: Freiermuth was solid before going down with a season-ending injury that required surgery. James Franklin would not discuss the nature of the injury, which is pointless because scouts will learn what happened and Freiermuth will face medical background checks and exams. 

8/29/20: In 2019, Freiermuth totaled 43 receptions for 507 yards and seven touchdowns. He has upside with quickness, size and athleticism. As a freshman, he collected 26 catches for 368 yards and eight touchdowns.

4. Previous Seasons

• '20 - Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri
    • '19 - Jace Sternberger, Texas A&M
    • '18 - Jordan Aikens, Central Florida
    BostonCollege_logo.gif Hunter Long, TE, Boston College 
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 253.  
    Projected 40 Time: 4.79. 
    Projected Round (2021): 3-4.
    View Ranking History 
    1/30/21: Long had a good 2020 season, showing good pass-receiving ability for the next level with 57 receptions for 785 yards and five touchdowns. Thanks to his good size and some athleticism, Long (6-5, 253) could be a solid tight end who could become a starter or a good No. 2 or 3 tight end. Long is a solid blocker and looks like a starting Y tight end for the NFL. He could be a reliable blocker who contributes some as a receiver.
  5. Previous Seasons

• '20 - Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt
    • '19 - Donald Parham, Stetson
    • '18 - Chris Herndon, Miami
    Georgia_logo.gif Trey McKitty, TE, Georgia 
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 245.  
    Projected 40 Time: 4.76. 
    Projected Round (2021): 3-5.
    View Ranking History 
    1/30/21: McKitty made only six receptions during the regular season, but he still earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl. He had better receiving production in 2019 and 2018 with Jake Fromm at quarterback. McKitty contributed as a blocker for the tough Georgia ground attack over the past few seasons. Team sources say McKitty impressed in Mobile with a good week of practice at the Senior Bowl.

6. Previous Seasons

• '20 - Hunter Bryant, Washington
    • '19 - Kahale Warring, San Diego State
    • '18 - Ian Thomas, Indiana
    BYU_logo.gif Matt Bushman, TE, BYU 
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 245.  
    Projected 40 Time: 4.74. 
    Projected Round (2021): 3-5.
    View Ranking History 
    1/30/21: During preseason practice, Bushman ruptured an Achilles tendon and went out for the season. He would be wise to take a medical redshirt and return to BYU for 2021. 

8/29/20: Bushman had his best season for the Cougars in 2019, recording 47 catches for 688 yards and four touchdowns. Prior to that, Bushman had been a consistent receiving weapon for BYU as an underclassman. In 2018, he caught 29 passes for 511 yards and two touchdowns. Bushman hauled in 49 passes for 520 yards and three scores in 2017.

7. Previous Seasons

• '20 - Colby Parkinson, Stanford
    • '19 - Caleb Wilson, UCLA
    • '18 - Mark Andrews, Oklahoma
    BowlingGreen_logo.gif Quintin Morris, TE, Bowling Green 
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 248.  
    Projected 40 Time: 4.75. 
    Projected Round (2021): 4-6.
    View Ranking History 
    1/30/21: Morris was decent in limited action for Bowling Green. He earned an invitation for the Senior Bowl.  

8/29/20: Morris was a dangerous receiving weapon for Bowling Green in 2019. He has quality size, quickness and athleticism. It was his second straight quality year for receiving production. For the NFL, Morris could stand to improve as a blocker. It would help him to have a good performance at an all-star game, given his level of competition.

8. Previous Seasons

• '20 - Stephen Sullivan, LSU
    • '19 - Josh Oliver, San Jose State
    • '18 - Dalton Schultz, Stanford
    SMU_logo.gif Kylen Granson, TE, SMU 
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 235.  
    Projected 40 Time: 4.73. 
    View Ranking History 
    1/30/21: Granson was a nice receiving tight end for SMU as a senior and earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl. He is an undersized receiving tight end for the next level, and it would help him to show well as a blocker in Mobile.

9. Previous Seasons

• '20 - Dalton Keene, Virginia Tech
    • '19 - Alize Mack, Notre Dame
    • '18 - Durham Smythe, Notre Dame
    Virginia_logo.gif Tony Poljan, TE, Virginia 
    Height: 6-7. Weight: 258.  
    Projected 40 Time: 4.8. 
    View Ranking History 
    1/30/21: Poljan was solid and contributed well for Virginia in 2020. He is a graduate transfer from Central Michigan. Poljan accepted an invitation to play in Senior Bowl.  

8/29/20: Poljan was a solid receiver for Central Michigan and has the size to be a blocker at the pro level. He needs to show evaluators the quickness and athleticism to be a receiving weapon in the NFL.
  10. Previous Seasons

• '20 - Harrison Bryant, Florida Atlantic
    • '19 - Dax Raymond, Utah State
    • '18 - Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin
    JacksonvilleState_logo.gif Trae Barry, TE, Jacksonville State 
    Height: 6-7. Weight: 235.  
    Projected 40 Time: 4.75. 
    View Ranking History 
    1/30/21: Berry played well, but the Gamecocks had limited games in 2020.

8/29/20: Berry flashed as a junior, showing mismatch size with some receiving skills. If he can stay consistent or improve his production in 2020, Berry could be a riser. He needs to show blocking ability, and it would help him to excel at a postseason all-star game that would let him take on a higher level of competition.
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This year is mostly trash at TE imo.... Jordan, ehhhh i have to back and look but he's at least worth talking about. It's pretty barren tho. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am tired of talking about Watson and Darnold. Until we know what is going on I am going to focus on the 3rd tight end spot.

I see a new starter being acquired. Herndon back as the # 2 guy. But I can't sleep over the battle for the # 3 roster spot at tight end?

Who you got?

I'd overpay for Jonu as our starter. 

The third TE needs to be a rookie to develop for when Herndon leaves as a FA next year. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

I think it makes sense to keep Wesco around since he can play FB and the offense will probably call for one.

Or we could just get an actual fullback and cut Wesco who offers very little to the offense as a TE.  I'd love to have our own James Devlin, Kyle Juszczyk, Anthony Sherman, etc.  And replace Wesco with Pat Freiermuth in the draft.

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

Ask Ryan Tannehill 

They have

rtannehill17's profile picture

Verified

Grateful for the last three years with Coach Gase...one of the best I’ve ever worked with, and I know he’ll be successful wherever he lands ?? Thank you for everything Coach!

Tannehill’s numbers under Adam Gase in Maimi are as follows: 4,974 yards, 38 touchdowns, 21 interceptions in just 24 games

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Excuse me, why wasn't informed of this thread @Maxman

WHY ISN'T THIS IN THE DRAFT FORUM @Maxman???

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Jonu Smith would be a big upgrade. 

What about Browns TE David Njoku who I read might be available via a trade. 

I like Njoku, but he will be pretty expensive and has not really produced.  Sort of like a rich, better make that middle classed man's Herndon.

If you are looking for a low priced vet, I wouldn't overlook Jordan Reed.   He has had some good games and spent last year in SF with LaFleur.  He had a solid enough year and would probably be available on a cheap and short deal.  There are injury concerns, but he shouldn't be getting a deal that would make you worried about that.

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

WHY ISN'T THIS IN THE DRAFT FORUM @Maxman???

I like Njoku, but he will be pretty expensive and has not really produced.  Sort of like a rich, better make that middle classed man's Herndon.

If you are looking for a low priced vet, I wouldn't overlook Jordan Reed.   He has had some good games and spent last year in SF with LaFleur.  He had a solid enough year and would probably be available on a cheap and short deal.  There are injury concerns, but he shouldn't be getting a deal that would make you worried about that.

TE Jordan Reed is a great choice his concussion history might be an issue. 

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Herndon situation and the darnold situation have strange similarities and the crazy part is their chemistry together. Herndon is a player Sam always looks for, on the rare occasions that both are on the field healthy. 

Tbh Adam gase was such a toxic terrible coach, it's possible that he held back everyone. Ask Ryan Tannehill 

I agree and I think by week 4 of this upcoming season, we will have a very good understanding of just how terrible Gase was.  If Sam, Herndon, Mims, Crowder and one or both of our returning RBs (TJ and JA) are able to score points suddenly (along with at least 3 new players at WR and OL of course), I think we'll have our answer.

I truly believe Gase put these players in an awful position from which to be successful in any way.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Paradis said:

This year is mostly trash at TE imo.... Jordan, ehhhh i have to back and look but he's at least worth talking about. It's pretty barren tho. 

Feels a bit like RB which is Harris, Etienne and then a jumble of guys.  TE is basically Pitts, maybe Freiermuth and then a few random dudes.  Teams desperate for those positions tend to reach.  I'll bet that Brevin Jordan and Long go a bit earlier than they should.

The contrast between RB/TE and then many other positions is pretty stark.  It shows once again just how deep positions like WR, CB, OT and even Edge might be by comparison.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:50 AM, Maxman said:

I am tired of talking about Watson and Darnold. Until we know what is going on I am going to focus on the 3rd tight end spot.

I see a new starter being acquired. Herndon back as the # 2 guy. But I can't sleep over the battle for the # 3 roster spot at tight end?

Who you got?

Honestly, I'm far more interested in who the #4 Punt Returner will be.