NO Purge Starts

KRL

Nick Easton a guard got released, will we be interested?

https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-release-g-nick-easton-save-nearly-6m-in-cap

The Saints are staring at the largest salary cap deficit in the NFL, which means cost-cutting measures are undoubtedly coming.

Count Nick Easton as a cap casualty. New Orleans released the veteran guard on Friday, according to the league's official transaction wire. The move will save New Orleans $5.875 million in cap space and clear $6.5M in cash off the books as it attempts to dig itself out of a massive salary hole, per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

Easton appeared in 12 games in 2020, starting nine of them and serving as a reliable backup behind Andrus Peat and rookie Cesar Ruiz. Easton ranked just behind Peat in Pro Football Focus' player grades and ahead of Ruiz, illustrating his ability to step in and help the Saints continue forward without missing a beat.

He's a valuable veteran who could start for some teams, but isn't worth keeping for the Saints, who desperately need to shed salary and can't afford to pay a backup roughly $6 million. Easton also suffered two concussions in 2020, landing on injured reserve after the second one in early January.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

He's a valuable veteran who could start for some teams

Don't know much about Nick Easton, but I want to bring in guys who could start for just about every team, not some teams.  The "could start for some teams" vets are guys like Lewis, Van Roten, Fant.  Hoping for better this off-season -- guys like Thuney, Linsley, Scherff.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I still think there's a trade for Lattimore to be done here with the Saints...

Lattimore or Ramczyk.  Very doubtful NO can keep them both.  I've heard they would tag Ramczyk but even that seems improbable for them until they get a lot closer to the cap.  I wonder if they wouldn't consider a 2nd rounder for him and maybe taking a bad contract off their hands. 

• Upvote 2

https://overthecap.com/brees-and-saints-renegotiate-contract/

Brees and Saints Renegotiate Contract

Per a league source, Drew Brees and the Saints have agreed to a contract renegotiation that will reduce Brees’ salary cap charge by nearly $24 million and help the Saints navigate a very messy salary cap situation in 2021.

The move is something I suggested a few months ago when discussing the Saints as a way to keep Brees’ salary cap number low while he decides if he wants to return to play football or retire. Brees original contract had a $36.15 million salary cap charge if he was on the team and a $22.65 million cap charge if he retired.

By bringing his salary down to the minimum the Saints will be able to hold his salary cap charge at $12.225 million while Brees ultimately decides his own future. If he retires the Saints can then hold him on the roster until June 1 and then place him on the retired list on June 2nd, allowing them to split his $22.65 million in dead money across two years- $11.15 million in 2021 and $11.5 million in 2022.

The Saints are currently estimated to be about $78 million over the salary cap with plenty of cuts and restructures to go.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lith said:

Don't know much about Nick Easton, but I want to bring in guys who could start for just about every team, not some teams.  The "could start for some teams" vets are guys like Lewis, Van Roten, Fant.  Hoping for better this off-season -- guys like Thuney, Linsley, Scherff.

Sure we all feel this way. But in the real world, we know that the Jets aren’t going to have 5 pro bowlers. So you still have to look at these vets in terms of how they might fit with our new offense. And as always there’s the “interview” aspect of how any of these vets will fit in the locker room.

The other positive is that he will fill a hole on another team. Takes another bidder out of the equation making JDs job easier. So it’s good news either way. 

6 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

https://overthecap.com/brees-and-saints-renegotiate-contract/

Brees and Saints Renegotiate Contract

Per a league source, Drew Brees and the Saints have agreed to a contract renegotiation that will reduce Brees’ salary cap charge by nearly $24 million and help the Saints navigate a very messy salary cap situation in 2021.

The move is something I suggested a few months ago when discussing the Saints as a way to keep Brees’ salary cap number low while he decides if he wants to return to play football or retire. Brees original contract had a $36.15 million salary cap charge if he was on the team and a $22.65 million cap charge if he retired.

By bringing his salary down to the minimum the Saints will be able to hold his salary cap charge at $12.225 million while Brees ultimately decides his own future. If he retires the Saints can then hold him on the roster until June 1 and then place him on the retired list on June 2nd, allowing them to split his $22.65 million in dead money across two years- $11.15 million in 2021 and $11.5 million in 2022.

The Saints are currently estimated to be about $78 million over the salary cap with plenty of cuts and restructures to go.

Hello Russell Wilson. Hello Dak Prescott. Hello D Watson.  How is team spelled ?

• Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Lattimore or Ramczyk.  Very doubtful NO can keep them both.  I've heard they would tag Ramczyk but even that seems improbable for them until they get a lot closer to the cap.  I wonder if they wouldn't consider a 2nd rounder for him and maybe taking a bad contract off their hands. 

Not gonna happen.  They are $90 OVER the cap with F/A to sign.  By the time its done, they will have 25 UDFA's starting next year.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Easton also suffered two concussions in 2020, landing on injured reserve after the second one in early January.

Yeah, no. Bad news. Unless we get him on a cheap, short term deal an have an insurance policy in the form of another starter it's a hard pass for me and I'm looking for help at OG elsewhere, including the draft. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

Are we going to make any draft picks or just trade them all??

• Upvote 1