Zach Ertz to leave Philly

26 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Do you guys not see Chris lHerndon as a starting caliber TE?  I know he’s been injured but when healthy he is effective.  You see him more as a #2?-[

He showed promise his rookie year and I've been waiting for him to fulfill it. The last two years he's been the second most disappointing player on the team after Darnold.

I could certainly get behind Ertz but it kind of depends what he costs. He's a player for whom I'm not sure what the market looks like.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Talented player becomes available..

Automoatic Jet fan answer: to much money!

Overpaying for past production is what dumb teams too -- it's something we've seen the Jets do a lot of.

Doesn't mean Ertz doesn't have value but breaking the bank for a name hasn't always been the wise move -- see Bell, Leveon, or Mosley, CJ.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

The issue isn't that Ertz is 30. Or it's not just that. It's the cumulative years of breakdown with a guy who's gotten injured basically every year of his career. He needed 6 weeks of injury-rest in the middle of the 2020 season. It's a legitimate red flag whether he was 30 or still just 28 when he's coming off the season he just did.

Philadelphia needs some cap room but his $8.5MM salary is actually low if they felt he could still be anything like he used to be. Never mind if he was he'd be the only serious receiving target on the team. They could lower it further with an extension he badly wanted at the start of the season; playing lousy in 2020 was no way to get his numbers up.

Apparently he often looked like a totally different person on the field last year. No, Wentz throwing some unnecessarily wild throws didn't help any, but Iggles fan consensus (the ones who aren't just going by his numbers like most Jets fans are now) is that he looked visibly slower and further that he wasn't putting in effort they usually saw from him (e.g. lazy blocking effort, not making any move to try to catch a pass if it wasn't thrown as well as it should've been, etc.). 

More than one writer suggested the possibility he may have been dogging it because he was pissed off over his contract, and add that to the Eagles being a dead-end team, but I'd like to think not. It'd mean he can still play, but it also would mean he's only going to give effort when he feels it's worth it. Philadelphia won just 2 of 11 with Ertz starting and 2 of 5 without him. No that's not enough for scientific deductions regarding Ertz himself, but no doubt if they were 5-6 with him and 0-5 without him that'd certainly be brought up so it's fair to bring up here.

Ertz was never had particularly fast straight speed in the first place (4.76 at the combine at age 23), so when a receiver - who barely had 4.8 speed before age/injury have set in at all - then loses a step or more, he may be just too slow and it's unlikely he'll get faster as more time passes.

Anyway I fully admit I didn't focus on the Eagles' TE every week in 2020, but there are more red flags than just turning 30. I'd rather put our FA receiver money into a WR, over getting deep into bed with a guy who's already shown on-field signs of hitting a career wall. Maybe he rebounds, and I'd hope he does if we get him, but he's not the type I'd expect more than 1 productive season (and possibly not even that).  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

When Ryan Griffin was 30 years old and signed an extension many here were either sucking him off or heavily co-sign the move.

Now when someone brings up the possibility of signing a stud TE 30 year old, we have crazy excuses such as he's too old or injury prone when it's not the case. 

i was thinking the same thing about griffen.  ertz is most likely an upgrade.  it all depends on cost.

You aren’t getting any of these guys unless you get Deshaun Watson. Zack Ertz and Allen Robinson aren’t coming here to play with Sam Darnold or Zack Wilson. You pass on Watson because you want to build through the draft, you best be sure to hit on your picks because the only players coming here are the ones conscripted to be here.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You aren’t getting any of these guys unless you get Deshaun Watson. Zack Ertz and Allen Robinson aren’t coming here to play with Sam Darnold or Zack Wilson. You pass on Watson because you want to build through the draft, you best be sure to hit on your picks because the only players coming here are the ones conscripted to be here.

I’d agree with this if Ertz was a free agent. We get to trade late round picks for cap dumps like this.  It’s kinda rapey, but it’s how we can force talent onto the roster. 

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So I guess they will go to the Texans to play with Watson then..

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, K Clue said:

Yeah, I don’t think Philly can afford to pay him and Dallas Goedert, but I am definitely all in on signing him if he becomes a free agent. He’s a great tight end when healthy.

He's basically done.  Too much tread on the tires. Football is a young man's game. I've seen the Jets sign far too many players on the downside of careers over the decades.  Philly didn't want to play him and barely used him this season (when he was healthy) even though they had a tight end friendly offense and no wide receivers.  Pass.  Draft a young tight end.  

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Overpaying for past production is what dumb teams too -- it's something we've seen the Jets do a lot of.

Doesn't mean Ertz doesn't have value but breaking the bank for a name hasn't always been the wise move -- see Bell, Leveon, or Mosley, CJ.

Yea tell Tampa that story.

Don’t worry guys the Ashton Davis and Zuniga 3rd rounders will get us to the promised land. Heck maybe even perrimans of the world. We lose but hey look how smart financially we are! ?‍♂️?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

He's missed 12 games in 8 seasons.  That includes 5 missed last season which was by far his worst season.  Bad year for the Birds in general.  His cap # this year was around $13M

Can't say he has been often injured, until this year.  Question is, has he reached a point in his career where the injury bug will hit more, and was his drop in production a result of the Eagles being bad, or is it an age decline.  Money of course is always an issue.

Ertz has been a good, depenable player his whole career.   Hopefully Douglas will have more intel on his recent decline then we do.

Safe 1 year deal sounds good to me.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

He's going wherever the money is. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The issue isn't that Ertz is 30. Or it's not just that. It's the cumulative years of breakdown with a guy who's gotten injured basically every year of his career. He needed 6 weeks of injury-rest in the middle of the 2020 season. It's a legitimate red flag whether he was 30 or still just 28 when he's coming off the season he just did.

Philadelphia needs some cap room but his $8.5MM salary is actually low if they felt he could still be anything like he used to be. Never mind if he was he'd be the only serious receiving target on the team. They could lower it further with an extension he badly wanted at the start of the season; playing lousy in 2020 was no way to get his numbers up.

Apparently he often looked like a totally different person on the field last year. No, Wentz throwing some unnecessarily wild throws didn't help any, but Iggles fan consensus (the ones who aren't just going by his numbers like most Jets fans are now) is that he looked visibly slower and further that he wasn't putting in effort they usually saw from him (e.g. lazy blocking effort, not making any move to try to catch a pass if it wasn't thrown as well as it should've been, etc.). 

More than one writer suggested the possibility he may have been dogging it because he was pissed off over his contract, and add that to the Eagles being a dead-end team, but I'd like to think not. It'd mean he can still play, but it also would mean he's only going to give effort when he feels it's worth it. Philadelphia won just 2 of 11 with Ertz starting and 2 of 5 without him. No that's not enough for scientific deductions regarding Ertz himself, but no doubt if they were 5-6 with him and 0-5 without him that'd certainly be brought up so it's fair to bring up here.

Ertz was never had particularly fast straight speed in the first place (4.76 at the combine at age 23), so when a receiver - who barely had 4.8 speed before age/injury have set in at all - then loses a step or more, he may be just too slow and it's unlikely he'll get faster as more time passes.

Anyway I fully admit I didn't focus on the Eagles' TE every week in 2020, but there are more red flags than just turning 30. I'd rather put our FA receiver money into a WR, over getting deep into bed with a guy who's already shown on-field signs of hitting a career wall. Maybe he rebounds, and I'd hope he does if we get him, but he's not the type I'd expect more than 1 productive season (and possibly not even that).  

If you ever post anything in a paragraph or less, i think 'll seizure. Then i'd feel compelled to send you a few containers of my killer chili. Habanero vinegar and all?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

How can I talk you guys out of this one. Common sense didn’t work with Cousins, and logic didn’t work with Bell. 

so I’m open to suggestions. Ertz will bust here 100%.... you all will be bitching about the contract before Christmas 

Former star who's already shown signs of the beginning of the end in winding down his career. Let's sign him & get seriously invested in him, Maccagnan-style.

My take: if someone else signs him and he has another good/bounce-back year left in him, so be it. It's a bad gamble (with a player already unhappy with his upcoming $8.5MM salary, even though he'd pocketed a bunch more in signing bonus).

Unfortunately with so many positions in need of filling and/or upgrades, it's unrealistic to figure they'll find permanent solutions for every one of them in 2021.

I'd rather band-aid with someone like Cook & pair him with the best two among Herndon, Wesco, and a rookie/udfa -- just so the team isn't painted into a corner at the position this year & potentially reach for a TE. Cook can still run (still faster than Ertz ever was) even though he turns 34 in April. Maybe Herndon can also learn some other nuances while practicing alongside the veteran, too. Release Griffin to cut the net cost of the newcomer's salary by half, but there's no rush to do it before the summer.

If there's a choice between two guys who don't have long careers remaining (e.g. Ertz/Cook), then pick the one who fits that mold, not someone likely to get a couple years guaranteed (considering Ertz's injury risk could easily kick in a guaranteed 2nd season). 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Only a fool would point to Tom Brady - the biggest outlier in the history of the NFL, possibly sports, period -- and use that an excuse to justify over spending AGAIN on a has been. 

Stop Kevin. 

You answered your own point

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The dream of what Ertz is and would bring is far different than the reality of what Ertz is. 

2020 NY Jets TE's combined statistics Herndon,Griffin,Brown,Wesco 

43 catches  376 yards 3 TD's 

I think Zach Ertz could out play them all easily. 

Zach Ertz 2020 

11 games 36 catches 335 yards 1 TD