Zach Ertz to leave Philly

NFL rumors: Eagles are receiving calls from Colts, Seahawks about Zach Ertz, report says

Updated 5:24 PM; Today 5:24 PM 
Washington Football Team vs. Philadelphia Eagles, Jan. 3, 2021

Philadelphia Eagles TE Zach Ertz (86) sits on the bench after a 20-14 loss to the Washington Football Team at Lincoln Financial Field, Sunday, Jan. 3, 2020. Tim Hawk | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Eagles tight end Zach Ertz gave a tearful goodbye to fans, thanking the city in January for supporting him for the eight seasons he spent in Philadelphia. Now, with the latest news, Ertz’s belief that he played his last down in the city seems to be coming true.

According to Sports Illustrated’s Ed Kracz, the Eagles have been in talks with the Indianapolis Colts and the Seattle Seahawks to deal Ertz. Kracz added the Eagles had tried to trade Ertz at the trade deadline, with the Green Bay Packers and the Baltimore Ravens being two of the teams interested in the tight end.

Last season, Ertz, who has been named to the Pro Bowl three times, played in 11 games last season after dealing with an ankle fracture. Ertz caught 36 passes for 335 yards and a touchdown.

According to Over the Cap, Ertz is owed $12.4 million next season against the Eagles salary cap if they were to keep him. With the team an estimated $49 million over the projected salary cap and the emergence of fellow tight end Dallas Goedert, Ertz has become one of the players mentioned as a potential trade candidate.

The Colts are currently rumored to be one of the teams trying to acquire quarterback Carson Wentz in a trade. It could be a distinct possibility that Ertz is included in a package that includes Wentz for the Eagles to get a better compensation package. NJ Advance Media’s Mike Kaye previously reported that the Colts had asked for a player, players, or draft picks to be included with Wentz if the Eagles wanted multiple high draft picks.

The Seahawks’ interest in Ertz makes sense. Last season, Seahawks tight end Will Dissly’s 24 receptions for 251 yards and two touchdowns was the most production out of the Seahawks tight end position. Adding Ertz would considerably upgrade that position.

58 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

2020 NY Jets TE's combined statistics Herndon,Griffin,Brown,Wesco 

43 catches  376 yards 3 TD's 

I think Zach Ertz could out play them all easily. 

Zach Ertz 2020 

11 games 36 catches 335 yards 1 TD 

He blew a tire and was soundly out played by Goedert when he wasn’t hurt. We’re not paying Ertz Ertz-money to come here and be Bell 2.0. ...you’re too old for me to have to explain this one for you. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Zach Ertz 2020 

This is essentially the problem with the TE position.

You're either getting a guy who will put up Herndon numbers, or Kelce numbers. Not much in between.

14 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

This is essentially the problem with the TE position.

You're either getting a guy who will put up Herndon numbers, or Kelce numbers. Not much in between.

I disagree look around the league there are quite a few quality TE's 

The NY Jets  have ignored the position for years. 

GB TE Robert Tonyan comes to mind guy came out of nowhere this season. 

Robert Tonyan

NFL Experience: 3 accrued seasons
Free Agency Category: Restricted
Expiring Contract: 2 years, $1,320,000
2020 Stats: 52 receptions, 586 yards (11.3 Y/C), 11 TDs

Tonyan is fresh off of one of the most efficient seasons in Packers history, but it’s worth noting that much of his value to the team comes from the lack of an obvious replacement behind him. Tonyan was productive and will remain more productive than Jace Sternberger for the foreseeable future, and his outstanding hands and plus speed play well with Aaron Rodgers. 

That said, Tonyan benefits a lot from the system he’s in, and while he’s valuable to the Packers, his value in a vacuum is more limited. If he receives an original round tender for around $2.24 million, he will unquestionably have suitors, and so he’s likely to see the 2nd round tender for just over a million dollars more ($3.422 million). Tonyan is well worth the price, but if another team feels similarly, a 2nd round pick for a former UDFA is worthy compensation, and it’s unlikely that any other team will get similar production from Big Bob. I suspect he’ll be sticking around.

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

image.png.55f398a3f8308d3253f02980636d54d8.png

Julie is a local from nearby Mesa, AZ.  There have been rumors of Zach to the Cardinals as well.

If I'm JD I make a reasonable push but there is some Buyer Beware with Zach these days.  The Jets aren't a Win Now team.  I'd include some level of conditional picks in anything I offered based on playing time due to his health. 

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Zach Ertz 2020 

You want to build a team or waste money on a declining, at best, injured TE?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Yea tell Tampa that story.

Don’t worry guys the Ashton Davis and Zuniga 3rd rounders will get us to the promised land. Heck maybe even perrimans of the world. We lose but hey look how smart financially we are! ?‍♂️?

Yeah, we should follow the Tampa model and sign the GOAT QB and his pal the GOAT TE. That will be easy to replicate.

29 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Except it wasn’t just Brady and Gronk. Piere paul, suh, Antonio brown, fournette,  gholston

nice try tho 

1) The Bucs drafted William Gholston.

2) Suh and JPP were on the team in 2019 when they had a losing record. Talented players but it would be dumb to pay 32+ year old defensive lineman too, unless you were looking for a final piece on a championship team.

3) Brown and Fournette were insignificant in the grand scheme of things but regardless they aren't on the 2020 Bucs if not for Brady.

So yeah, building your FA plan around using the GOAT QB to attract FAs seems like a really, really stupid way to build a team if you don't have the GOAT QB.

been saying since the beginning of the offseason.  this is a no brainer, top 5 TE imo and no need to trade for him.  we will have a very young team next year and he will be a great leader.  Last year was a terrible year for all of the eagles offense.  I'd bet on a rebound year as he has done his whole career over the TE Pitts at the top of the draft.

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

1) The Bucs drafted William Gholston.

2) Suh and JPP were on the team in 2019 when they had a losing record. Talented players but it would be dumb to pay 32+ year old defensive lineman too, unless you were looking for a final piece on a championship team.

3) Brown and Fournette were insignificant in the grand scheme of things but regardless they aren't on the 2020 Bucs if not for Brady.

So yeah, building your FA plan around using the GOAT QB to attract FAs seems like a really, really stupid way to build a team if you don't have the GOAT QB.

Oh goodness the problem is you cheap guys have no alternative way to success? If I lived your fantasy world every draft pick be a quality starter, except that’s not reality. Successful team are aggressive in FA. Heck say what you want about mac but the last enjoyable Jets season was 2015 when we tried 

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Oh goodness the problem is you cheap guys have no alternative way to success? If I lived your fantasy world every draft pick be a quality starter, except that’s not reality. Successful team are aggressive in FA. Heck say what you want about mac but the last enjoyable Jets season was 2015 when we tried 

It’s not about being unwilling to spend money. I hope the Jets do spend money this off-season — on young players at premium positions.

Ertz doesn’t meet either criteria.

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

It’s not about being unwilling to spend money. I hope the Jets do spend money this off-season — on young players at premium positions.

There are only going to be like 3 or 4 of those guys, even after the cap casualties, and not all of them will want to sign with the Jets.  

Sometimes you need to fill roster spots with talented stopgaps.  And Ertz is 30, not 35.  He still has 2-3 highly productive years left in this league. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are only going to be like 3 or 4 of those guys, even after the cap casualties, and not all of them will want to sign with the Jets.  

Sometimes you need to fill roster spots with talented stopgaps.  And Ertz is 30, not 35.  He still has 2-3 highly productive years left in this league. 

And on top of that, young players cost more than older quality players. We have a LOT of gaps to fill with only $55 mil to work with (considering rookies and in -season moves). A guy like Ertz would be a solid addition w/o breaking the bank like Thuney. I'd rather the GB Center and move McGovern to guard. We need to spend wisely.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Regardless, those are the guys worth paying.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, what do you think Ertz will cost? I don't perceive him as being cheap. If he was coming at a "stopgap" price I could potentially be interested but I think he gets a decent contract.

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Regardless, those are the guys worth paying.

I mean, what do you think Ertz will cost? I don't perceive him as being cheap. If he was coming at a "stopgap" price I could potentially be interested but I think he gets a decent contract.

Regardless, we have to pay enough players to build a decent roster.  Douglas can only sit on so much money this offseason.  He has a new HC and, hopefully, will also have a new QB to start building around.  He can't leave the roster barren while holding out for only young talents at premium positions.

TE's, even the top ones, are fairly cheap.  The average salary of TE's 3-6 in pay (Hunter Henry, Austin Hooper, Kyle Rudolph and Gronk) is $9.5M. 

I imagine Ertz, who made $8.5M per in his most recent deal, could be had for about $8m per.  For comparison purposes, Golden Tate and Jamison Crowder are each due over $10M this year.  Sterling Shepard is due $9M.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So please answer this. Who is our tight end next year and is he better then ertz?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

So please answer this. Who is our tight end next year and is he better then ertz?

Depends. There are a lot of ways to approach this.

If we're going "spend legit money in FA" I'd target someone like Jonnu Smith -- 25 years old and entering his prime. More athletic than Ertz and instead of paying a 30+ year old for past performance we'd be paying for an up and comer entering his prime.

We could also draft someone in the mid-rounds. Lots of options.

Overpaying Ertz and rolling with Herndon aren't the only choices here.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If we're going "spend legit money in FA" I'd target someone like Jonnu Smith -- 25 years old and entering his prime. More athletic than Ertz and instead of paying a 30+ year old for past performance we'd be paying for an up and comer entering his prime.

Jonnu Smith is definitely intriguing as well.  A great catch rate for a guy his size and a red zone monster.

The Titans are going to regret the cap situation they put themselves in.  They spent way too much money on guys like Kevin Byard, Malcolm Butler, Adam Humphries and Kenny Vaccarro.  Especially when you're already devoting $13.5-$15M per at RB over the next 3 years.  I know Butler is coming off a strong season but he's also about to be 31.

7 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Your first option is reasonable

Mid rounder...no. Very few Times do mid rounder tight ends pan out 

On 2/14/2021 at 12:47 PM, kevinc855 said:

Talented player becomes available..

Automoatic Jet fan answer: to much money!

The Jets in their current state are not going to sign post 30 year old players. The teams that sign those type players are teams that are in the hunt for a SB and hope to squeak out a few years out of that player now, not two to three years from now. The only way the Jets would sign a player this old to the current roster is if he comes on the cheap (very cheap) and takes on a leadership role and is aware he will be in a platoon situation . So something like this would only happen if the Jets are interested and no playoff teams have any interest. 

On 2/14/2021 at 8:03 PM, jetstream23 said:

Julie is a local from nearby Mesa, AZ.  There have been rumors of Zach to the Cardinals as well.

If I'm JD I make a reasonable push but there is some Buyer Beware with Zach these days.  The Jets aren't a Win Now team.  I'd include some level of conditional picks in anything I offered based on playing time due to his health. 

I'd sign his wife

• Upvote 1