Kylin Hill-RB, Miss. State

PepPep

There are a lot of RBs I like in this draft and a lot of guys I'd be ok if the Jets ended up drafting but THIS is the RB we should target. I love everything about this guy- he's got burst, just enough breakaway speed, power and contact balance, elusiveness and vision, he's generally a one-cut back but still shows some wiggle in the open field, and he's got good size and build in general which makes him really tough to bring down. He can also catch the ball out of the backfield which always helps.  

But the other reason he'd be a good target is his potential availability later on in the draft like Rd. 4 or maybe even 5. There's maybe 7 or 8 RB prospects that many consider ahead of him. Maybe just because he doesn't have that elite speed and athleticism that top NFL teams covet.

I don't think the Jets can afford to use their top 5 draft picks on a RB (pending what they do in FA of course). If the Jets can get Hill later on in the draft he could end up being a great value pick because I think he can really produce in a RB by committee role for the Jets. Especially if they revamp the interior of that O-line. 

Mississippi State RB Kylin Hill Highlights || The 2019 Season - YouTube

Kylin Hill, Mississippi State, RB | 2021 NFL Draft Profile - YouTube

In the second video you will see the a nice analysis of Hill's strengths and weaknesses. I recommend a watch. It's 8 mins long. One of his weaknesses is said to be his vision and decisiveness. I didn't nec. see TOO much of that, but I'm no expert. It's also noted that he would benefit from a gap heavy run scheme. I think LaFleur will bring a similar scheme to the Jets with both power and counter gap runs to complement some of the wide zone runs that he also found success with on the 49ers.   

Anyway. Thoughts? Any other prospects at the RB position the Jets could target AFTER Rd. 3? 

31 minutes ago, PepPep said:

There are a lot of RBs I like in this draft and a lot of guys I'd be ok if the Jets ended up drafting but THIS is the RB we should target. I love everything about this guy- he's got burst, just enough breakaway speed, power and contact balance, elusiveness and vision, he's generally a one-cut back but still shows some wiggle in the open field, and he's got good size and build in general which makes him really tough to bring down. He can also catch the ball out of the backfield which always helps.  

But the other reason he'd be a good target is his potential availability later on in the draft like Rd. 4 or maybe even 5. There's maybe 7 or 8 RB prospects that many consider ahead of him. Maybe just because he doesn't have that elite speed and athleticism that top NFL teams covet.

I don't think the Jets can afford to use their top 5 draft picks on a RB (pending what they do in FA of course). If the Jets can get Hill later on in the draft he could end up being a great value pick because I think he can really produce in a RB by committee role for the Jets. Especially if they revamp the interior of that O-line. 

Mississippi State RB Kylin Hill Highlights || The 2019 Season - YouTube

Kylin Hill, Mississippi State, RB | 2021 NFL Draft Profile - YouTube

In the second video you will see the a nice analysis of Hill's strengths and weaknesses. I recommend a watch. It's 8 mins long. One of his weaknesses is said to be his vision and decisiveness. I didn't nec. see TOO much of that, but I'm no expert. It's also noted that he would benefit from a gap heavy run scheme. I think LaFleur will bring a similar scheme to the Jets with both power and counter gap runs to complement some of the wide zone runs that he also found success with on the 49ers.   

Anyway. Thoughts? Any other prospects at the RB position the Jets could target AFTER Rd. 3? 

It’s crazy how often we land on the opposite end of these discussions. I had a soft spot for Hill going into season despite some overt athletic concerns, but after a closer look this year and the senior bowl, wouldn’t even spend a pick on him. 

• Upvote 1