Crowder to be a salary cap casualty?

Rhg1084

It's an interesting case.

My gut feeling on this is if we can bring in a top vet like Robinson or Godwin, we can afford to cut ties with Crowder (or possibly redo his deal for a bit less if he doesn't get paid anywhere else right away).  If not, we need at least one solid vet on the roster to work with what will likely be a very young group of WRs otherwise.  Even if $10M is a bit more than his market value, it might be worth keeping him in a year when we have the cap to afford it and we will need as much competent receiving talent as possible.

The guy is a baller.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Is it a bad contract overall or just a bad cap hit for this year?  I really don’t  think it’s a good idea to get rid of players that are very productive here; we make a habit of it.  He is the one guy that has a connection with our qb, why would you mess with this?  From a wr perspective, the Jets did this with Coles after he had a special chemistry with Pennington.  They did this with braylon Edwards after he was a core guy with Sanchez.  IMO, it’s ok to pay a premium to guys that have proven they can produce and coexist effectively with your qb.  If the answer is that Sam won’t be here either, I guess that’s a different story but I still don’t love it.  Such a strategy is a big reason we are depleted of productive nfl players.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I think we should move on.

He's done really well for us, it's not personal. 

I'd rather us spend that money on offensive lineman, a weapon at TE, and players on defense that fit our scheme. 

There are a ton of slot receivers in the draft this year.

You’re talking like we won’t be way under the cap regardless 

if anyone has earned $10 it’s crowder, not paying him that send a ridiculous message to the team 

• Upvote 2

His salary this year doesn't become guaranteed at any point prior to the beginning of the regular season, does it?  With it being the last year of his deal, I can't possibly imagine that it would be.  That, combined with the Jets not being anywhere close to having salary cap issues, gives no reason for the Jets to consider making such a move any time soon.  Even if they're totally thrilled with Mims, they still need to find themselves another 2 WRs before they think about sending Crowder packing.  Short of that all being taken care of in FA, no reason to paint themselves in a corner at the position before heading into the draft.

As others have said, if anything is to be done in the immediate future, a renegotiation would make far more sense than cutting him.

42 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's an interesting case.

My gut feeling on this is if we can bring in a top vet like Robinson or Godwin, we can afford to cut ties with Crowder (or possibly redo his deal for a bit less if he doesn't get paid anywhere else right away).  If not, we need at least one solid vet on the roster to work with what will likely be a very young group of WRs otherwise.  Even if $10M is a bit more than his market value, it might be worth keeping him in a year when we have the cap to afford it and we will need as much competent receiving talent as possible.

The guy is a baller.

I must agree with you.  If we do end up keeping Darnold, then it becomes a "no-brainer" to keep Crowder, who is the one player that Darnold feels most comfortable throwing to.  Getting rid of Crowder would just make no sense.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

he’s been by far our best player the last 2 years. I would personally keep him as $10m isn’t crazy for him. But I’m confident Douglas will get some playmakers in here at WR whether Crowder is with us or not 

Keep Crowder for $10M.  Mims is on a cheap rookie deal.  Sign a solid WR in FA and Draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.

Just like Maye and Brian Poole, Crowder is a guy who should still be here in 2021.  The Jets are a team with lots of holes.  Let's not create more.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He's a good slot receiver. Probably overpaid, but regardless of who we line up at QB he's a value add type guy you're going to want. Given our cap situation I don't understand the motivation to cut him, unless the new offensive staff doesn't like the fit and wants to bring in one of their guys.

In a league where elite WRs are getting $20M+ per year, I think having the Jets leading WR (even though he plays Slot) make $10M isn't a bad deal.  If the Jets were facing Cap issues I might think differently but on a team that just felt the pain of what happens when you let one of your good WRs walk (Robby Anderson) I'm hoping JD learned his lesson.

1763871325_ScreenShot2021-02-15at9_25_33AM.png.4cfefc053051616fb40f1df5cffdcaf2.png

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We have like 80-85 million. We don’t need to do this. 

Crowder is a weapon. Crowder isn’t expensive. Cutting Crowder makes no sense.

10 minutes ago, QB1 said:

You’re talking like we won’t be way under the cap regardless 

if anyone has earned $10 it’s crowder, not paying him that send a ridiculous message to the team 

If you lock up Maye after cutting Crowder, I don't think the culture/morale will be negatively impacted. 

And just because you can afford to overpay doesn't mean you should - especially for a position that is rather easy to replace. We can find another shifty 5'10 receiver without deep speed to get open in short areas. That's not exactly a rare skillset in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If they keep Darnold, they have to keep Crowder - him and Darnold seem to be on the same page and have some chemistry

I agree, but one thing I think is holding Sam back is that he looks for Crowder way too much.  Perhaps that's because he gets open more. often.  Maybe things change in a new system

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If you lock up Maye after cutting Crowder, I don't think the culture/morale will be negatively impacted. 

And just because you can afford to overpay doesn't mean you should - especially for a position that is rather easy to replace. We can find another shifty 5'10 receiver without deep speed to get open in short areas. That's not exactly a rare skillset in the NFL. 

If we're cutting Crowder who are we replacing him with? Letting Robby walk was a mistake -- outside of Mims we wouldn't have a viable receiver on the roster.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We have like 80-85 million. We don’t need to do this. 

They did not need to be 85 million under in the first place 

I like how people talk about the cap space like it's an accident or the natural phases of the seasons. 

This team trades away their assets, resigns nobody and breaks their best players down for pennies. Welcome to Florham Park 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1