Jump to content

Crowder to be a salary cap casualty?


Recommended Posts

Part of the problem this team has is that they haven't drafted well consistently for so long that we forget you can replace a lot of production with good draft picks as opposed to over paying to hold onto average production. Jets fans have been stuck on a desert island with saltines all the while pretending they have tastier ritz crackers instead.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have like 80-85 million. We don’t need to do this.    Crowder is a weapon. Crowder isn’t expensive. Cutting Crowder makes no sense.

He is not going anywhere, if anything, he gets extension, this team only has 4-5 good players, he is one of them

he’s been by far our best player the last 2 years. I would personally keep him as $10m isn’t crazy for him. But I’m confident Douglas will get some playmakers in here at WR whether Crowder is with us

Posted Images

The best players on an NFL team are expensive so let's keep trading away all our best players because they are expensive.

Crowder is an unselfish and quiet guy.  He's the type Douglas should play, not eject.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

The best players on an NFL team are expensive so let's keep trading away all our best players because they are expensive.

Crowder is an unselfish and quiet guy.  He's the type Douglas should play, not eject.

SAR I

Does he fit the new offense?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

Does he fit the new offense?

He's feisty, fearless, and makes space.  Man, if our new offense isn't friendly for someone like that we're in a whole heap of trouble.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Please keep, or we didn't learn anything from the Robbie Anderson situation.

 

There wasn't anything to learn from the Robby Anderson situation.  Anderson was going to play for his old college coach Rhule from the beginning.  Jets were used to get the price over $10M.  Douglas did the right thing.  Anderson was never coming back to the Jet unless they paid him stupid money. 

 

"For Anderson, there wasn’t much convincing on his end to sign with the Panthers. He had his eye on Carolina immediately following the news breaking of Rhule becoming the team’s next head coach.

“I know winning is in his blood and that’s what he’s here to do,” Anderson said. “There wasn’t much he had to sell me on… I wanted to be a Panther.” 

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/news/robby-andersons-special-bond-with-matt-rhule

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

There wasn't anything to learn from the Robby Anderson situation.  Anderson was going to play for his old college coach Rhule from the beginning.  Jets were used to get the price over $10M.  Douglas did the right thing.  Anderson was never coming back to the Jet unless they paid him stupid money. 

 

"For Anderson, there wasn’t much convincing on his end to sign with the Panthers. He had his eye on Carolina immediately following the news breaking of Rhule becoming the team’s next head coach.

“I know winning is in his blood and that’s what he’s here to do,” Anderson said. “There wasn’t much he had to sell me on… I wanted to be a Panther.” 

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/news/robby-andersons-special-bond-with-matt-rhule

Should also be noted that Anderson has one year at $8 million left on his deal, and the Panthers haven’t moved to extend him. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

There wasn't anything to learn from the Robby Anderson situation.  Anderson was going to play for his old college coach Rhule from the beginning.  Jets were used to get the price over $10M.  Douglas did the right thing.  Anderson was never coming back to the Jet unless they paid him stupid money. 

 

"For Anderson, there wasn’t much convincing on his end to sign with the Panthers. He had his eye on Carolina immediately following the news breaking of Rhule becoming the team’s next head coach.

“I know winning is in his blood and that’s what he’s here to do,” Anderson said. “There wasn’t much he had to sell me on… I wanted to be a Panther.” 

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/news/robby-andersons-special-bond-with-matt-rhule

 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Should also be noted that Anderson has one year at $8 million left on his deal, and the Panthers haven’t moved to extend him. 

You guys are going to make it hard for Fidelio to keep up his budding anti-Douglas movement if you keep undermining his arguments.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t wait until we’re down 2-3 WR’s when Mims pulls a hammy and whoever else twists an ankle — “we should of kept crowder”, “way to go JD, we have no one to step up but Berrios” — “Maybe Chris Hogan will come back from Lacrosse”

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The SF and GB offenses use 3+ receivers around half the time. The Jets used 3+ receivers around 80% of the time.

Slot receiver isn’t a position in the new offense as much as it was for the old one. Crowder used to be on the field all the time. Not so sure he would be next year.

I don’t think he’s as valuable to the Jets now as he would be to other teams. It’s not ridiculous to think he might not be on the roster. Buyers market in FA, too.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

I have this crazy idea that the Jets can do better than Jamison Crowder being their top offensive weapon.

He doesn’t have to be their top weapon for them to justify keeping him. 10 million isn’t a cap hit that you have to move off of. Sometimes contract value doesn’t justify itself in every situation. Just a really goofy move for me if he’s cut.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

 

You guys are going to make it hard for Fidelio to keep up his budding anti-Douglas movement if you keep undermining his arguments.

I wanted to him to explain how Joe Douglas undermined the Jets RB position

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I have this crazy idea that the Jets can do better than Jamison Crowder being their top offensive weapon.

I feel like it’ll be one of those deals where they dump Crowder, bring in JuJu for big money, then JuJu puts up the same numbers as Crowder would because Darnold is a mush.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm ambivalent on keeping crowder.  sure he only makes 10 million but it's not like the jets haven't had near equal players for less.  kearse and kerley were both as good although they also took games off or were in the coach's doghouse at various times.  crowder seems to have a better work attitude.  but irreplaceable?  hardly.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rangerous said:

i'm ambivalent on keeping crowder.  sure he only makes 10 million but it's not like the jets haven't had near equal players for less.  kearse and kerley were both as good although they also took games off or were in the coach's doghouse at various times.  crowder seems to have a better work attitude.  but irreplaceable?  hardly.

But if we keep replacing very good, if slightly overpriced players trying to find slightly less expensive alternatives, we end up with....our current roster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

kearse and kerley were both as good although they also took games off or were in the coach's doghouse at various times.  crowder seems to have a better work attitude.  but irreplaceable?  hardly.

Comparing Kearse & Kerley to Crowder...woah lol

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm ambivalent on keeping crowder.  sure he only makes 10 million but it's not like the jets haven't had near equal players for less.  kearse and kerley were both as good although they also took games off or were in the coach's doghouse at various times.  crowder seems to have a better work attitude.  but irreplaceable?  hardly.

You seriously don't believe kerley and kearse were as good as Crowder...?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patriot Killa said:

He doesn’t have to be their top weapon for them to justify keeping him. 10 million isn’t a cap hit that you have to move off of. Sometimes contract value doesn’t justify itself in every situation. Just a really goofy move for me if he’s cut.

I respect Crowder, I wouldn't be upset if he's back and I know it's only one year.

But he's not irreplaceable by any stretch. 

He's a good slot receiver. He's not a speedster, a YAC monster or a physical freak. 

I'd rather spend that money elsewhere, even if we have tons of cap space and could afford him + other free agents.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

The idea would be to spend that cap space on other positions to build out the roster.  Replacing expensive veterans with rookie contracts is how the best teams in the NFL operate. 

Right, but if we're not going to end up spending all of that cap space, then it makes little sense to cut Crowder.  I expect Douglas to spend this offseason, but he'd have to spend a LOT of free agent dollars to approach the cap. 

If the Jets opt for a rookie QB and/or Darnold, what is going to draw a large batch of FA's here without a massive overpay?  More realistically, Douglas will add 1-2 priority FA's (perhaps a WR and an IOL like Corey Linsley or Thuney), and the rest of the FA adds will be Tier 2-4 types.  We'd likely end up about $20M-$30M under the cap after all is said and done, not right up against it.

Now, if the Jets were to buck the odds and acquire Watson, all bets are off.  At which point, like @T0mShane suggests, you probably wait until he settles in to make any big decisions at WR.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like it’ll be one of those deals where they dump Crowder, bring in JuJu for big money, then JuJu puts up the same numbers as Crowder would because Darnold is a mush.

The JuJu rumors bother me. He's a solid player, but he's gonna get overpaid and that tik tok on opposing logos nonsense was childish AF. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I think of a "cap casualty" - I think of teams shedding contracts because they're up against it.  The Jets are not one of those teams.  They have the 2nd most cap space in the league and can make a few moves on lesser players than Crowder to get even a little bit more.  So what's the point of moving on from Crowder, you're going to have to replace him and it's not (no matter how many posters say so) that easy.  It is not guaranteed you can get the same level of production and color me crazy but I would assume with actual threats on the outside and TE who can stretch the field, Crowder is even more valuable then he's already proven.  Especially if they're planning to build around Sam, you cant keep playing musical chairs with his weapons.  Robby was bad enough. 

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Sign Samuel. Cut Crowder. Gets us more versatile. More upside and younger all at the same time. 

Or sign Samuel and keep Crowder? Now the rookie QB has 2 guys to throw to instead of one. (I’m not sold on Mims but I like his potential, sadly, potential isn’t enough to feel safe about.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JiF said:

When I think of a "cap casualty" - I think of teams shedding contracts because they're up against it.  The Jets are not one of those team.  They have the 2nd most cap space in the league and can make a few moves on lesser players than Crowder to get even a little bit more.  So what's the point of moving on from Crowder, you're going to have to replace him and it's not (no matter how many posters say so) that easy.  It is not guaranteed you can get the same level of production and color me crazy but I would assume with actual threats on the outside and TE who can stretch the field, Crowder is even more valuable then he's already proven.  Especially if they're planning to build around Sam, you cant keep playing musical chairs with his weapons.  Robby was bad enough. 

 

 

We don’t always agree but this is easy. I don’t understand how you let a weapon go when you absolutely don’t need to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The JuJu rumors bother me. He's a solid player, but he's gonna get overpaid and that tik tok on opposing logos nonsense was childish AF. 

He's 24.  He can't even rent a car.  He is childish AF. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So Douglas needs to field a solid 4 WRs. Assuming he cuts Crowder he can go the following route:

Mims (only guarantee)

one big ticket FA ( ARob, Fuller, JuJu, Godwin)

Rookie?

resign Perriman cheap? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

It really is hard to tell, we still don't know a whole lot about JD.  I mean from what we do know there's clearly a possibility he doesn't resign him.

It would be insane but again, from what we know of JD, he doesn't value talent.  

JD was clearly doing a house cleaning in 2020 setting up the cap for 2021 and beyond.  So you are right that what we have seen so far says he will cut guys remorselessly.  But if that's is approach going forward he will ultimately fail as a GM.  Whatever he does with Crowder, and if the Jets keep Darnold then Crowder stays for sure, he needs to build a cohesive team.  Keeping Crowder helps that.  Saleh preaches that.

I am guessing he stays though a tough renegotiation/extension might happen as well.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...